• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 031

uvhYkfg.jpg
jIS3t3h.jpg
xaM4F1Y.jpg
utOnAsL.jpg

I identify as Yang Wen-Li

Fucking bureaucrats.

Cowboy Bebop 01 - Asteroid Blues

Turns out this show still owns.

My experiences with ADV mostly come from having Anime Network. My mom absolutely refused to buy me anime VHS tapes when I was younger but me and my friend did rent them a bit back in the day.

As shit as that channel was Anime Network rekindled my like of anime after I fell out with it for several years.

Gvitor

I was hyped about the Funi x Crunchyroll partnership for a second, but not a single one of these damned animes are available in my country.

Fuck this shit

zulux21

the funimation/crunchyroll news is great.

I mean for the people that were dead set on paying aniplex prices for anime this is likely bad news since funimation will be producing and releasing the crunchyroll home video releases.

but for me... this is amazing. so many great shows will be added to my library in the next year.

I also can't wait to watch ace attorney dubbed :p

zulux21

I'm glad that I shouldn't ever even need to go to FUNimation's website again. What a garbage player.

it got better like 6 months ago and isn't bad anymore. but still not amazing.

I accidently let my crunchy sub expire recently, so I will just likely stay subbed to funimation since dubs are quite important to me.

Line_HTX

the funimation/crunchyroll news is great.

I mean for the people that were dead set on paying aniplex prices for anime this is likely bad news since funimation will be producing and releasing the crunchyroll home video releases.

but for me... this is amazing. so many great shows will be added to my library in the next year.

I also can't wait to watch ace attorney dubbed :p

I don't understand how anyone justifies buying AniplexUSA prices, even if the packaging and extra features are amazing.

Danganronples Despair 09

Brainwashing is like the lamest fucking reason for this entire series to have happened. It's almost as bad as MIND HACK. Whatever idea you had in your head after DR2 was probably better then this. It's also way past ridiculous now that
Junko gets away with all the shit she does. Like how the fuck does Jin not know she's evil but everyone else does?

Izuru's role in this show is just sad. He does nothing.

Line_HTX

it got better like 6 months ago and isn't bad anymore. but still not amazing.

I accidently let my crunchy sub expire recently, so I will just likely stay subbed to funimation since dubs are quite important to me.

What's the video player like now? Did it become watchable like Daisuki since Daisuki stopped being ass with its free stream?

So wait I kind of missed this but funimation will phase out almost all of their subs? So Funimation will really only be Dub only.

I supposes stuff like Buddy complex and Shonen Hollywood are the exceptions.

When will subtitles on FunimationNow go away?
Subtitled content for titles affected by this agreement will be removed from FunimationNow in phases, with the transition expected to be completed by end of 2016. We will keep you up to date with these changes on our Blog at funimation.com/blog. Subtitled content for a small selection of titles will be available on FunimationNow based on previous licensor agreements.

zulux21

I don't understand how anyone justifies buying AniplexUSA prices, even if the packaging and extra features are amazing.
they have slightly better video quality. to some having that is worth the extra money.
What's the video player like now? Did it become watchable like Daisuki since Daisuki stopped being ass with its free stream?
never used Daisuki, but in general it's fine. not really all that different from crunchy
So wait I kind of missed this but funimation will phase out almost all of their subs? So Funimation will really only be Dub only.

I supposes stuff like Buddy complex and Shonen Hollywood are the exceptions.
Edit I see your extra stuff.

it's not really clear.

they are actually calling it cross subs in most stuff so it might just be getting rid of exclusive shows.

though it could be something more like getting rid of exclusive subs from funimation and crunchy still has some.

or funimation could be getting rid of most of their subs to have rights to dub crunchy's stuff.

I mean when it comes down to it regardless.

dub fans will likely pick funimation
sub fans will likely pick crunchy

as it's doubtful all of the funimation dubs will show up on crunchy.
so it likely doesn't matter to much to both companies if they both have subs up.

but yeah given your quote, it seems likely like funimation will just have the dubs and crunchy will get the subs.

so... I also realize.
this possibly opens the door for a new case closed dub @________________________________________________@

Quasar

It works on PC, but Crunchyroll's PC player is awful. I watch my animes on the PS4, and there it's locked by my IP, I think. My PSN account is from the US, and it still locks me away from some anime.

Well my dns proxy works fine with crunchyroll on my devices. Certainly not surprised Australia is excluded given animelab sublicenses much of its content from funimation.

zulux21

It does kind of suck for people who like both.

Wonder if that means dubs on crunchyroll will also be removed.

to be fair people who liked both were likely subbed to both already anyways.

it will just make things simpler in general.

show releases in japanese - go watch it on crunchy instead of either crunchy or funimation.
show releases dubbed - go watch it on funimation (not that this changed but it will be easier to keep track)

so... I also realize.
this possibly opens the door for a new case closed dub @________________________________________________@
I already saw this brought up in comment sections so much lol and it has been only like a few hours since the announcement.
It does kind of suck for people who like both.

Wonder if that means dubs on crunchyroll will also be removed.

Well it's not bad really.

Funimation lowered their priced and offers a dub only service.

While Crunchyroll offers same shows but sub only. I suppose Crunchyroll will keep some of their dub shows like Digimon and Kenshin.

Its comes to about 12$ USD a month for both service. I don't think its bad.

Quasar

Yeah, but... like, maybe this is just the animegaf bubble, but does the noitamina name mean anything to anyone now?
Maybe they are assuming that Netflix and Amazon will want to start gobbling up licenses, but I guess I haven't seen any indication that they've been planning to do that. Certainly I can't imagine someone paying for Prime or Netflix if the only thing you want to do is watch anime.

Well for me it still tends to be a brand that more than any other will mean I will probably like a show. Its not 100%, but its way ahead of others.

Yeah, but... like, maybe this is just the animegaf bubble, but does the noitamina name mean anything to anyone now?
Maybe they are assuming that Netflix and Amazon will want to start gobbling up licenses, but I guess I haven't seen any indication that they've been planning to do that. Certainly I can't imagine someone paying for Prime or Netflix if the only thing you want to do is watch anime.

You say that, but I did sub on Netflix only for their exclusive anime. Seven deadly Sins, Ajin and Knights of Sidonia. Now they better dub Kurakumo and Magi soon!

zulux21

I already saw this brought up in comment sections so much lol and it has been only like a few hours since the announcement.

to be fair if they did it I imagine they would start over from the beginning and leave it japanese references this time as that has to be way easier than translating some of the cases into english.

I am sure jerry would be on board to being adult shinichi again. don't know about the other actors.

but I would happily buy detective conan again.

it's a huge commitment... though so is gintama, thus I imagine if they do it it will only be after gintama has shown to be successful.

Line_HTX

they have slightly better video quality. to some having that is worth the extra money.

never used Daisuki, but in general it's fine. not really all that different from crunchy

Edit I see your extra stuff.

it's not really clear.

they are actually calling it cross subs in most stuff so it might just be getting rid of exclusive shows.

though it could be something more like getting rid of exclusive subs from funimation and crunchy still has some.

or funimation could be getting rid of most of their subs to have rights to dub crunchy's stuff.

I mean when it comes down to it regardless.

dub fans will likely pick funimation
sub fans will likely pick crunchy

as it's doubtful all of the funimation dubs will show up on crunchy.
so it likely doesn't matter to much to both companies if they both have subs up.

but yeah given your quote, it seems likely like funimation will just have the dubs and crunchy will get the subs.

Hmm, phasing out Funi exclusives makes the most sense, I guess. Their wording was pretty general. I don't know if phasing out their sub content entirely is a good idea, since I would imagine they need the material first to dub it, obviously.

zulux21

Hmm, phasing out Funi exclusives makes the most sense, I guess. Their wording was pretty general. I don't know if phasing out their sub content entirely is a good idea, since I would imagine they need the material first to dub it, obviously.

I would imagine that the deal goes something like.

crunchy buys up home video and streaming rights.
subs the video, hands off video and subs to funimation who then works with that to create the dub over the next few weeks.

thus funimation doesn't need to actually sub it themselves, though they likely will still do that as they work on the dub given the nature of how dub scripts are created.

Line_HTX

Don't worry Saekano S2 is coming soon enough.

Spring 2017 but it's going to get overshadowed by Titan S2.

Everytime I see Saekano I keep thinking of the older Saikano series.

3dPETeF.jpg

Ultimate weapon girlfriend or...

8mpo1V0.png

Boring girlfriend? ;P

I have never seen She, the Ultimate Weapon. No, actually I caught a random glimpse of it airing on Taiwan Animax and got hit with a suffering atmosphere without knowing what's going on.

Taruranto

You know, when Future Side started, people were joking that Kodaka and Uchikoshi were swapping notes...

1) Inform campus security
2) Inform the police
3) Inform the JDF

You know, in a sense, I kinda get it. Kodaka literally wrote himself into a corner, because, let's be honest, how are you going to explain Japanese children causing the apocalypse? On other hand, he literally decided to poke the bees' nest and write about that particular plot point for no reason, so fuck him!

Also, I suppose this literally absolves DR2 cast. They are no longer the DR version of the Nazi, they are just kids who took the wrong turn and got mind-hacked.

So, it the end, the moral of the story is the usual one:

grBdKIW.jpg

to be fair if they did it I imagine they would start over from the beginning and leave it japanese references this time as that has to be way easier than translating some of the cases into english.

I am sure jerry would be on board to being adult shinichi again. don't know about the other actors.

but I would happily buy detective conan again.

Anything that could get more Conan available, either dubbed or legal subs would be great.

If nothing else, I wonder if this will mean that Crunchyroll can put up subs for the first 123 episodes of Conan. That would still leave a 600+ episode gap on their site, but it would at least be better than nothing.

I dare not even dream of the possibility of new dubbed material.

It isn't as bad as Mind Hack but it isn't far off. It's the same dumbass throw away explanation that covers all bases in a way that isn't satisfying at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom