• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

We should gather an AnimeGAF Overwatch team of 6 and challenge other GAF teams.

Me, Defuser, Dropp, Finalow, Sonicmj, Haly? Come on guys, we can do it!

Sölf

Reminds me that after buying Overwatch, I played that for a few days and then was done with it. Didn't help that to many other good single player games released in recent times (FE Fates, TMS #FE, ZTD and also the new Kirby which I don't even own yet).

duckroll

firehawk is practically kirito

you should recruit him

He's a loser who pretends to play a game, and then when you want to play with him he's never around. And then he starts bitching about additions and patches in the game which he has never experienced first hand. Don't fall for the scam.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Even if it was, why is that such a terrible thing? Students crushing on their teachers has been a thing in fiction since forever.

If you're worried about the tone of the show you should be more concerned with what the teacher does.

As I said, the framing was such that it looks like she is asking him out on an actual date and yea I am rather worried about the protagonist looking like a creepy pedophile. This is going to be a rather fine line to walk and at the very least this is already creating some really bad optics.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
He's a loser who pretends to play a game, and then when you want to play with him he's never around. And then he starts bitching about additions and patches in the game which he has never experienced first hand. Don't fall for the scam.
Did you uninstall the game yet??

Jintor

i'm only not playing overwatch because i'm going to pack up my pc, rip the hdd and graphics card out of it, and toss it in a box and send it home soon

New Game! 1

I wish this was Shirobako game version but it isn't. Oh well, it's okay at least. Weird for a new employee not to know shit about the company she's at though. Animation is really wonderfully expressive though, it's kind of odd, but not unappreciated.

Also can't believe she got hired straight out of high school. Did she have an indie project going or something?

Lol Director acts like I imagine Kamiya would

Also their company is really rich if it can afford to rent out a whole building... jeeze...

I quite like the text messaging gag vs outside face joke. I dunno why, but it speaks to me

Jintor

CmwXE6CUsAAAVrk.jpg:large

throx there's like 20 pages on instruments alone in here

Mandelbo

What's the consensus on Mayoiga? It has a 5.91 on MAL, which is quite low for MAL, and I don't remember hearing an awful lot about it, other than someone I know saying it was weird. What problems did it have?

Sölf

What's the consensus on Mayoiga? It has a 5.91 on MAL, which is quite low for MAL, and I don't remember hearing an awful lot about it, other than someone I know saying it was weird. What problems did it have?

The first half is fun, the second half becomes much less fun. Or more on the "so bad it's good" side of fun. Also, the ending is absolutely horrible.

Cornbread78

Well, to generalize, everyone though they were goibg to get a dark dark with maybe some thriller/ horror aspect build in, but by episode 6, we got pure shit. The show ended up being nothing like it was presented to be, or what the director/writer should have made it to be.

Will any anime girl's name ever be as fun to say as Looooosheeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

*Clears voice*

"You said this to me
I remember what you said too, you said:
My name is Looshee Woofy.
You introduced me Woofy.
Usually I don’t do this,
But I see you and me Woofy.

Looshee give you no worries.
Looshee got million stories.
About these animes I came after when they was boring.
Looshee gone fill your pockets,
Looshee gone move your mama out of Compton
Inside the gigantic mansion like I promised.
Looshee just want your trust and loyalty,

Avoiding me?

It's not so easy I'm at these functions accordingly
Woofy, Looshee don't slack a minute.
Looshee work harder,
Looshee gone call you even when Looshee know you love your Father.

I'm Looshee."

Clov

I didn't pick that one up yet, but that's good to hear! I only got And Yet the Town Moves, but I think it was a 720p native show so that's not really the best test for quality, however it does look good!

I should have Koufuku Graffiti coming in the mail within 2-5 days. Can't wait to not only rewatch it (cause it looks good and is heartwarming), but i'm interested in checking out what the bitrates are. Every since I got a bluray drive on my PC i've been checking out all the vitals on how the encodes are made, and it's been interesting to say the least.

I think a lot of TV anime is 720p native, or at least they were a few years ago.

I'm also interested in picking up Koufuku Graffitti, so let me know how good the disc is when you get it!

Thoraxes

I'd be down for some Overwatch!
throx there's like 20 pages on instruments alone in here
Jesus.
I think a lot of TV anime is 720p native, or at least they were a few years ago.

I'm also interested in picking up Koufuku Graffitti, so let me know how good the disc is when you get it!
Yeah for the most part. I'm not sure what gets produced if anything at higher resolutions. It's something I sorely lack information on, and I am not one of those pixel-counting people who can see that.

Will do! I'll probably post a pick-up picture and include some screencaps then.

Jarmel

Banned
Trigger Anime Expo Write-up-
8Gcj67G.jpg

Have you worshipped your goddess today?
Why read when you can watch?
It should be noted that the resolution is shit, I couldn't film everything continuously (as my cellphone storage ran out), and I couldn't keep my cell phone straight for the entire filming. I filmed primarily the Kiznaiver section but did take some notes for the Space Patrol segment.
-Nico's original design was really cool. She looked more punk and was taller.
-Tenga's original design is pretty much identical to the version we got.
-Hisomu's original design is pretty sharpely different too. He looks like a Takeuchi (Fate/Stay) design with the purple hair and downtrodden expression. Nowhere near as flamboyant/bishounen as the current design.
-Yoneyama was the chief animation director.
-Yoneyama did image boards as well such as the opening in episode 1. Yoshinari did the animation for that sequence.
-Hard to see in the video but the gengas had a lot of coloring to them, especially the close-ups.
-Yoneyama cried while working on the final episode. Sushio did too, but it was from stress.
-Sushio focused on the motions and let Yoneyama touch up the details.
-Sushio ended up drawing a lot of Kamina when drawing Tenga.
-Experienced animators like Sushio had to work on the layouts, motions, and acting due to the number of characters. Was difficult to add numerous characters in a frame.
-Shota Iwasaki was present and he talked about his work in episode 7.
-Iwasaki would fix up cuts on his own time. Project managers got annoyed when the cut bags go missing.
-Sushio fixed up a lot of scenes in episode 7, not just the larger ones.
-Kiznaiver's schedule was a lot better than Kill La Kill's, which they finished the day it aired.
-For Sushio, Gurren Lagann was his second youth. Kiznaiver was his third youth. Yoneyama said in the second panel that she agreed that Kiznaiver was her second youth.
-Sushio will work on the Little Witch Academia TV series. Watch the legend come back to life!
-The Kiznaiver BDs should have much better detail than the broadcast version.
-Imaishi is working on three new projects. It's unclear if Little Witch Academia is considered one of the three as it was later said 2-3 projects were being worked on by him. So I guess it's still in flux?

Now as for the Space Patrol Luluco segment:
-Imaishi initially wanted to do Space Patrol around the time of Kill La Kill but Nakashima shot him down.
-Imaishi was adamant about doing Space Patrol.
-The original version of Space Patrol was literally supposed to last a year.
-Lalaco was supposed to be the main villain initially. Nova was supposed to be Lalaco's lackey.
-It felt as if there were two teams at Trigger, one was living in high school and the other (Luluco) was in middle school
-Overjustice is a presence that surpasses Inferno Cop and was on the phone in the Egypt episode of Inferno Cop
-One demand of Amemiya was that there be a character of Justice. His belief of Justice is the strongest in the industry.
-The desk is connected to hell
-More will be picked up on in the future series of Inferno Cop.
-For the Luluco VA work, if they thought it was funny they would just accept the take even if it was off script.
-There were three chances during a VA recording and they each had a different title.
First chance: Justice Chance
Second Chance: For Real Chance
Final Chance: You Little Shit Chance
-There was a lot of adlib.
-Imaishi asked Wakabayashi if he liked anything and Wakabayashi replied shimapan. Hence Trigger-chan's bikini.
-I guess Trigger-chan is 18 years old at the end of the series or transforms into her eighteen year old self.
-Trigger-chan has the ability to dimension hop into future Trigger series. She might find Nova in one of them.

For the Little Witch Academia TV series, a bunch of concepts were shown and a 'hype' video was as well.
-It's probably going to air in Spring 2017 as Yoshinari said that he wanted to show the completed show off at the next AX.
-Some background art was shown of both a town and something closer to a city. The town is probably the same one as in Enchanted Parade. I can't remember if there is a big clocktower in the middle of the town but if there is then it's almost certainly the same town.
-The first background art looked like Yoshinari due to the shading and a later one like Kaneko due to the brushstrokes. I don't know if that means they're going for handpainted backgrounds for the TV series but one can hope.
-Akko's outerwear was shown and it's identical to the above art in design.
-Sucy's casual clothes were shown off too and they were really stylish.
-Lotte was ignored as usual.
-Diana's casual clothes looked identical to the above, even with the same coloring. Surprisingly tomboyish.
-New classmates were shown off. There's a new group of three, one of which is in the images above, taken from the LWA2 kickstarter.
-Yes there were wizards shown. Cue the tears over the Garden.
-Lots of older witches were displayed. Half the art was of older women but I didn't see Sucy's mom in there but she could have been reworked. They said that a number of the characters shown in that segment might get cut though. Yoshinari said last AX that he wanted to tell Shiny Chariot's story so there might be a bigger focus on the older witches.
-There's more emphasis on world building as magic cops were shown and they look like the minotaurs in the first episode but with cop uniforms on. Kinda reminded me of Harry Potter in how it looks like they're establishing a magical world with their own police and everything.
-You could tell they're trying to expand past the school and go into larger things. For example there was a drawing of a beautiful lady sitting in a chair/throne with tree roots growing in and out of it, it reminded me of the Lady of the Lake mythology.
-There was art shown from the first episode and it was a large gate in the middle of nowhere on top of a grassy hill. I took that as implying they're not going to use the previous films as episodes but also that they're delving into the larger aspects of the world.
-Yoshinari wants a grand finale.
-There was a 'private' video from Takafumi Hori of Constanze transforming the above boat into a huge mech. It was super cool and really evoked Gurren Lagann. They emphasized that it was private so I don't know if that was a hint that it was going to be in the show or Hori screwing around. People were screaming. I want this so bad. Magical Girls Gurren Lagann. Edit: Well now I don't feel so special. :(
-Oh and Shigeto Koyama is coming weekly to the Trigger studio despite not working on Little Witch Academia TV. They pretty much confirmed that he's working on designs for a new TV series at Trigger but didn't specify whether it was the Imaishi one.

On the second day, they had a panel where they were pretty much drawing for the entire period.

They ran out of time before Sushio could draw. There wasn't anything discussing their projects but more so about the artists themselves.
-Yoneyama wants to overthrow Sushio.
-Iwasaki is playing too much Splatoon. He gave out his Nintendo ID which I'm not sure was a good idea.
-Koyama's favorite anime is Neon Genesis Evangelion.
-Yoneyama starts drawing by thinking about the layout and poses.
-Here's a short video of Yoneyama drawing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXhBtQj3CsE

That's about it. Also here's a link to my Kawamori panel write-up.
On a final note, would like to give a heart fuck you to Anime Expo management for multiple organizational and planning failures during the weekend. Had to withstand a literal stampede to get into the Trigger panel on Sunday. On Monday they canceled Tsurumaki and Shintani's autograph sessions because they forgot that they had booked airplane tickets for them that morning. Ooops. Maybe they should have told people that before they waited hours in the morning for an autograph ticket. I also don't think Kenji Nagasaki ever showed up but that might be Funimation's fault rather than AX.

Clov

Yeah for the most part. I'm not sure what gets produced if anything at higher resolutions. It's something I sorely lack information on, and I am not one of those pixel-counting people who can see that.

Will do! I'll probably post a pick-up picture and include some screencaps then.

From what I've read, I know that KyoAni's works starting with Nichijou were done at a little over 900p or so. I think a lot of films are done in 1080p as well. Not sure if there's any other studios who go over 720p for TV work.

Jintor

dagashi kashi 01

this is pretty dumb but in a way i can get behind. I can already tell the central premise of snacks is going to get really tiring (especially since I really don't like japanese snacks) and that I will inevitably just want lots of character interactions, especially between fang-san and desu-wa.

I liked that older bro also had shark teeth.

Also I was scared anime dad was going to be super manly master-of-the-tradition anime dad but actually he's goofball anime dad which is pretty great

-There was a 'private' video from Takafumi Hori of Constanze transforming the above boat into a huge mech. It was super cool and really evoked Gurren Lagann. They emphasized that it was private so I don't know if that was a hint that it was going to be in the show or Hori screwing around. People were screaming. I want this so bad. Magical Girls Gurren Lagann.

Oh my goodness yes.

From what I've read, I know that KyoAni's works starting with Nichijou were done at a little over 900p or so. I think a lot of films are done in 1080p as well. Not sure if there's any other studios who go over 720p for TV work.

Well, if it's not too old you can check here:
http://anibin.blogspot.com

A lot of JC Staff stuff is 1080p (HVFULL), but there's also stuff with variable resolutions and not quite 1080p

+ some info about the weirdness of the KyoAni resolution:
https://ultimatemegax.wordpress.com/2015/04/24/photography-and-resolution-of-anime/

Clov

Well, if it's not too old you can check here:
http://anibin.blogspot.com

A lot of JC Staff stuff is 1080p (HVFULL), but there's also stuff with variable resolutions and not quite 1080p

+ some info about the weirdness of the KyoAni resolution:
https://ultimatemegax.wordpress.com/2015/04/24/photography-and-resolution-of-anime/

Interesting! I wasn't aware that JC Staff had been using full HD, or about variable resolutions. I wonder if Shaft used some variable resolutions in some of their late 2000s work? Some shots on my BD of Hidamari Sketch S1 look blurry and poor, but others look quite clear and defined.

Interesting! I wasn't aware that JC Staff had been using full HD, or about variable resolutions. I wonder if Shaft used some variable resolutions in some of their late 2000s work? Some shots on my BD of Hidamari Sketch S1 look blurry and poor, but others look quite clear and defined.

There's a post about Hidmari Sketch here:
http://anibin.blogspot.com/2012/07/bd.html

Not entirely sure what it says, but it seems some of it was upscaled to 960x540, some cuts were remastered in 1280x720(?) and there were some kind of processing error in some other cuts with the upscale so they look bad?

Edit: Oh, wait I think that first part is about it being 960x540 originally, not upscaled from SD. But the last part is still about some SD cuts that got upscaled.

John Blade

Just notice this as I am slowly watching Ep 7 of Clannad. We now know Fuuko is a ghost when her older sis is there but I am wondering (maybe foreshadow in later episode), this ghost of Fuuko will disappear when her older sister have the wedding and will see all the people who come to her wedding. Betting the older sis will be surprise from this. Also, I have a sad feeling when Fuuko ghost disappear for good, the real Fuuko who is in a comma might pass away. Just a guest but have a feeling this might get into from how the story is processing as of now.

The relationship between Nagisa and Tomoya is start to get interesting to the point, both are actually helping each other and in a way worry about together in situation in the show. I guess this will get more stronger as this Fuuko arch, you start to see them help each other in this sad time.

Also, just realize from the last episode, the voice from Nagisa mother is the same voice from Belldandy from Ah My Goddess. Just didn't realize till I see the beginning scene in the last episode. Kinda funny to hear her voice right now. Well...we see where this Ep 7 will go.

Clov

There's a post about Hidmari Sketch here:
http://anibin.blogspot.com/2012/07/bd.html

Not entirely sure what it says, but it seems some of it was upscaled to 960x540, some cuts were remastered in 1280x720(?) and there were some kind of processing error in some other cuts with the upscale so they look bad?

Edit: Oh, wait I think that first part is about it being 960x540 originally, not upscaled from SD. But the last part is still about some SD cuts that got upscaled.

Ah, I see. Some of the shots were still SD, so they must have been upscaled poorly to turn out as they did. Thankfully the later seasons were a great improvement.

Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars 01

Can't Actas hire someone with actual writing skill so it won't waste their visual.
Wait why it feels like i said similar things at few days ago.

That said, i really not a fan of mecha coloring of this show.

Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars 01

Can't Actas hire someone with actual writing skill so it won't waste their visual.
Wait why it feels like i said similar things at few days ago.

That said, i really not a fan of mecha coloring of this show.

You say that as if there is anyone with actual writing skill in the anime industry.

John Blade

NOTE: THIS WILL BE SPOILER SO, IF YOU NEVER WATCH THIS SHOW, DON'T READ MY POST.

Impression Note:

Man...my guest was right on the spot. Still, kinda suck Fuuko isn't going to last long now as she is slowly disappearing and people who she give her starfish now start to forgot about her. Man...a very emotional scene near the end with her older sis, Tomoya and Nagisa. I guess even with how annoying Fuuko something she is, they do love her quite a bit and feel sorry for what might happen to her.

Happy the older sis of Fuuko will still go through the wedding and also manage to get her dream to do the wedding in the school. Just wish Fuuko can last long enough so, she can see this one last time before she pass on.

Animation here look quite nice. You notice this on background of the scene and some scene where you have those lens flare look. Still liking it so far.

Lolis and Mechas 01
aka Regalias

I can already see the suffering and despair from here. Fight was ok, but god damn loli MC has no mercy. I strongly suspect the writing for this show will be lower than ecchi anime trash tier.

Haven't been able to watch Regalia yet but to those that have, could you tell me one thing?

Do the girls pilot the mecha? Or is it a Giant Robo/Tetsujin/Heroman remote controlled thing? Or is it like the Brave series where the robots talk?

I'm fine with all three, but I just want to know before watching.

Haven't been able to watch Regalia yet but to those that have, could you tell me one thing?

Do the girls pilot the mecha? Or is it a Giant Robo/Tetsujin/Heroman remote controlled thing? Or is it like the Brave series where the robots talk?

I'm fine with all three, but I just want to know before watching.
They pilot them though there seems to be a deeper connection than that.

Samurai Flamenco 10

The tone is all over the place. It's obviously intentional, but when there's a hard cut from the Miracle Muse girls goofing around to bouncy, optimistic music to Mari and whatever her sidekick's name is being brutally tortured complete with fingers getting ripped off - the dissonance is unbearable. I don't think I can keep watching.

Samurai Flamenco 10

The tone is all over the place. It's obviously intentional, but when there's a hard cut from the Miracle Muse girls goofing around to bouncy, optimistic music to Mari and whatever her sidekick's name is being brutally tortured complete with fingers getting ripped off - the dissonance is unbearable. I don't think I can keep watching.

Pretty sure that's the worst of the of the drastic tone-shifts in the show, IIRC. From this point onwards it shouldn't be as bad as that for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom