• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone announce streaming of the new Noitamina show, Battery, yet? Looking forward to that one; sucker for baseball anime (and Noitamina... at least sometimes).

Gvitor

Baby Steps 19-21

Maruo vs Takagi

The obligatory shitty player. It seems like they're in every sports anime. Good thing it didn't drag and Maruo won in 2 sets straight.

Nabae up next... I'm guessing he loses this, because there's only 4 episodes remaining and because he is the top 1 junior player in Japan, so if he beats him now, it loses the impact of facing him in the All-Japan tournament.

John Blade

NOTE: THIS WILL BE SPOILER SO, IF YOU NEVER WATCH THIS SHOW, DON'T READ MY POST.

Impression Note:

Man...sad that more and more people have forgot of Fuuko and the gift she give to them to the point that almost all of the MC friends now forgot her or start to forgot her. This also include Nagisa parent. It's interesting to see Fuuko manage to held well from this issue. I wonder if she know something will happen to her but she didn't want to tell Nagisa and Tomoya about it. I am guess it will get even more sad to the point both MC will not know her at the end which suck quite a bit if it goes that way. A very sad episode to watch and to see the situation just getting worst isn't something you want to watch.

Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars - 1

CmxnMGiXYAE4-3t.jpg:large

IT'S GOT A FREAKING RAGGED CAPE AAAAAAHHHHHHHH

My love for glorious 2D robot action aside, so far it's all right. Characters are pretty eh so far, but I'll give them a few more episodes.

I'm hoping the show delivers on some hype-filled super robot moments with hotblooded attack-name yelling. The music was pretty good and a hype soundtrack playing during a super robot's finishing move is always a welcome thing.

Exalted

Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars episode 1

Well that was even more awful than i thought it would be, shame since the mecha actually looked nice. Well if you like VERY young cast with yuri undertones and bland story, you might like this , otherwise avoid this show.

Ascheroth

Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars #1

The Good:
- soundtrack
- mech designs, mech summoning and action looked pretty great

The Bad:
- everything else
I started scrubbing through the non-action scenes after a few minutes because they were boring as fuck, combined with awful character designs and I think I dislike every character that was shown so far, so yay

/XX/

Trigger Anime Expo Write-up-
Always worth the wait for your event report. Thanks a lot for taking the time of doing this regularly, Jarmel!

-There was a 'private' video from Takafumi Hori of Constanze transforming the above boat into a huge mech. It was super cool and really evoked Gurren Lagann. They emphasized that it was private so I don't know if that was a hint that it was going to be in the show or Hori screwing around. People were screaming. I want this so bad. Magical Girls Gurren Lagann.
So private he shared it with everyone on the Internet even before the expo began! :-D

Well, if it's not too old you can check here:
http://anibin.blogspot.com

A lot of JC Staff stuff is 1080p (HVFULL), but there's also stuff with variable resolutions and not quite 1080p

+ some info about the weirdness of the KyoAni resolution:
https://ultimatemegax.wordpress.com/2015/04/24/photography-and-resolution-of-anime/
I wanted to say that I personally have confidence on RURIN's method, and I feel that in that blog post it was quite precipitated and discriminating to rule the work of RURIN as erroneous using no true evidence about his sampling methods, and no evidence beyond another possible explanation.

Because an example of only a mere asset being worked on (of others that could be composited into an image, and if non-vectors worked on at variable resolutions too) showcasing image pixel density info and during just one step of the workflow, plus that assumption saying added image "filters" somehow alter heavily the spatial frequency data of an image, isn't enough to dismiss in this manner a fairly decent approximative solution.

We have to take into account that; a) Kyoto Animation and associated photography and video editing production companies use different solutions during said workflow (in the case of KyoAni, apart from After Effects we have seen them patently demonstrate an use for RETAS!PRO suite utilities like PaintMan, or Autodesk Maya 3D) that could affect their final output, and b) that the 2-D Fourier transform and the resulting spectrum (understandable approach to it here; http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Basic_...ine#The_Fourier_Transform_-_A_Pictorial_Essay) used on RURIN analysis should be able to denote picture artefacts, such as layered effects with a known fixed radius, and better yet as long as multi-sampling is used (continuous line-art isn't fundamental, but per-pixel brightness information).

And even then I think that article doesn't ultimately demonstrate either way why there is a discrepancy of image resolution analysis, that RURIN thoroughly noted, on some of their series between their OP/ED and the rest of the episodes' footage.

All in all, we can't be sure of the exact situation unless we understand clearly how the process is done (we'd have to personally ask RURIN, of course!), and have to be aware of how this kind of speculation doesn't help in creating a truly well informed report that securely refutes the exhibited arguments.

BROTHERHOOD FINAL FANTASY XV - Episode 3: "Sword and Shield"

This one is based on Gladio. Man I really like these stories, seeing a different side of these characters and how they were when they were younger. We got to meet Gladio's little sister too, I wonder if she is in the game. She looks like one of the characters from one of the character's faces photos, but maybe it isn't her at all. Also cool how we basically saw a field battle in anime form, with the assists and banter mixed in the middle.

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcist ep.13
tumblr_lhmdrx0Olm1qf3pxpo1_500.gif

Seriously loved that episode from start to goofy finish. Great story pacing, good action, and great way to further grow Benio and Rokuro's relationship by expanding their familiar dispositions as well as fighting their battle together. Super power up baby!

Line_HTX

I understand Brotherhood is supposed to be a setup prelude of sorts, but goddamn the 2nd episode was so boring. Good thing it was 15 minutes or I would've just fallen asleep entirely.

I do like that you get to see modern Japan during the whole flashback with the city streets and the background of what's present-day.

John Blade

tumblr_mvczu5dwtm1sfotceo1_500.gif

A very touching ending of Fuuko arch. So happy she manage to get her wish to come true and wishing her older sister well for it. So touching. The process of seeing everyone and even the MC to forgot her (even though they have a party for her just one more time at night in the classroom) was a bit sad to see. It's like no one even know her even her best friend. At least it end well when both the MC realize why they're suppose to do which bring back Fuuko one more time. I don't know what happen next but do hope she can recover from her comma so she can be with her new friend she meet during this whole arch.

Just notice but the music which is used for that special scene with Fuuko and his older sister, is that actually the original music as didn't expect to her English song playing during that scene.

Other than that, just happy for this arch. I start to see why people is liking the show a bit.

And even then I think that article doesn't ultimately demonstrate either way why there is a discrepancy of image resolution analysis, that RURIN thoroughly noted, on some of their series between their OP/ED and the rest of the episodes' footage.

All in all, we can't be sure of the exact situation unless we understand clearly how the process is done (we'd have to personally ask RURIN, of course!), and have to be aware of how this kind of speculation doesn't help in creating a truly well informed report that securely refutes the exhibited arguments.

Well, as I said, I don't know Japanese so I just figured ultimate understood what was going on more than me. But I guess he hasn't spoken to the person running the blog either then. :p

phaze

Naruto Shippuden 467

Being out of the loop allowed me to delude myself into thinking that surely, this yet another round of filler had to have ended. Pierrot really does always have the last laugh .

Also, what the fuck happened to the OP. It's the first instance where I remember were such big and haphazard changes were made [I swear they reused the cuts from OP from the original series from like 10 years ago (or maybe they didn't my bad)]and it seems that with those, ugly changes, this is probably the last opening. If so it's distinctively poorly put together and ugly.

At least ED is okay.

Giant, Yuri Kind of Incest But Maybe Not, Mecha With Capes Show (So It's All Good) 01
As far as self flagellation devices go, I've seen worse. (better?)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars Episode 1:

Well, I got through about 5 minutes of this before getting so bored that I started checking social media. That being said, it isn't the worst thing I have watched this season, so it has that going for it I guess.

John Blade

This entire episode is target toward Kotomi Ichinose and how Tomoya and Nagisa try to get her to make new friends. Nothing too crazy to talk really. You got to see Kotomi who is very smart but never really make any new friends. Kinda sad as someone who is stuck in the library and never go to class because of been too smart.

Kinda like the whole process of Tomoya getting his friend to be friend with her and it kinda work for now (with some minor issue). Found out her parent is actually scholar which explain how she is smart but also, they might be something between this as she isn't too please about it from one scene. Also, as someone who is difficult to talk to (mostly she doesn't understand how to talk to people in everyday life), it's nice she start to manage it a bit even though she repeat it over and over few time. Also, don't let her play the violin as it cause pain for people who listen to her play.

Also, more of the little Nagisa and the robot at the beginning. Been a while since one so, we might got to see where this small side story will go. I guess this will make sense later on. Not a bad episode but now slow down a bit after finish the Fuuko arch. Guess we might now have Kotomi arch.

Beats

Shōnen Sarutobi Sasuke

Film from 1959 by Toei Animation. It's basically about a boy named Sasuke that lives with his sister in a forest alongside a number of animals. He encounters a beast early on that is revealed to be an evil witch that was turned into a salamander long ago. In his current state he doesn't really stand a chance so he runs away from home to learn magic from a sage and goes through rigorous training with him in order to defeat her.
Sasuke ends up insanely powerful by the end of it tbh. Explosive flame magic, teleportation, invisibility, walking on walls and flying are some of the abilities he ends up acquiring lol.
There isn't much to the characters and the story is kind of unremarkable, so it's sort of dull because of that. But I appreciated some of the visual artistry involved in the film. There are some neat smears, the character animation is very fluid at times and some of the effects animation is impressive.

Geist-

On episode 2 of Kuromukuro. Really liking it so far, this is the kind of alien invasion story I love to see. Something where ya, the aliens have more advanced technology, but human firepower can still cause some damage. I know it's going to start going into more mecha tropes where the main guy is the greatest warrior who ever lived and can destroy invincible enemies without breaking a sweat, but so far I'm liking it.

Sterok

Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars 1

The mech had a cape, and then a scarf, of awesome, so that's cool. Otherwise this felt like light novel junk except with more yuri. And not even the funny type. Just boring all around.

On episode 2 of Kuromukuro. Really liking it so far, this is the kind of alien invasion story I love to see. Something where ya, the aliens have more advanced technology, but human firepower can still cause some damage. I know it's going to start going into more mecha tropes where the main guy is the greatest warrior who ever lived and can destroy invincible enemies without breaking a sweat, but so far I'm liking it.

Not really.

I'm up to ep 7 I think and it's more like Encino Man with mechs. Pretty good though I think! I judge comedy pretty harshly but I find this show appealing.

Taruranto

Binan S2

I can't find a non-lewd screenshot (Pink-slutting it up as usual), so instead have this hilarious official art:

v3p1mVg.jpg

This was more of the same, they torpedoed the Student Council since they would have been irrelevant. Now the real question is whatever they can keep up with another season without growing stale, the original Binan was a fun show with some clever subversion and a 10/10 final plot twist.

phaze

Saint Seiya or Yu Yu Hakusho? Looking to watch an older shonen series but can't decide which to watch first.

Haven't seen the latter but objectively speaking, Saint Seiya is bad. I'd say one needs either a specific mindset or some of the most powerful nostalgia glasses in existence to bear with it.

NeonZ

Saint Seiya or Yu Yu Hakusho? Looking to watch an older shonen series but can't decide which to watch first.

Yu Yu Hakusho is generally better. Both handle an ensemble cast well, even though there's obviously a main protagonist, but Saint Seiya is dragged down by very formulaic battles (Almost every single fight before the Hades saga is an underdog match where the heroes win through resolve power ups).

Saint Seiya's animation, before the Hades OVA also relies heavily on stock footage for specials attacks. Now, Yu Yu Hakusho also is a very typical fighting shounen series, and uses those cliches too, but its battles aren't tied to a specific formula like Saint Seiya's are and the animation also is better, with no stock footage.

T-Rex.

Banned
Yu Yu Hakusho. No contest.
Haven't seen the latter but objectively speaking, Saint Seiya is bad. I'd say one needs either a specific mindset or some of the most powerful nostalgia glasses in existence to bear with it.
Yu Yu Hakusho by a country mile.
Yu Yu Hakusho is generally better. Both handle an ensemble cast well, even though there's obviously a main protagonist, but Saint Seiya is dragged down by very formulaic battles (Almost every single fight before the Hades saga is an underdog match where the heroes win through resolve power ups).

Saint Seiya's animation, before the Hades OVA also relies heavily on stock footage for specials attacks. Now, Yu Yu Hakusho also is a very typical fighting shounen series, and uses those cliches too, but its battles not as tied to a specific formula as Saint Seiya's are and the animation also is better, with no stock footage.
That's pretty definitive, cheers guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom