• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Any must watches this season?

no smut plz :p

relife was fairly enjoyable.

attack on trains finish.
hmmmmmm.
that was... not very good.
oh well overall I would still likely buy this physically from crunchy as long as their prices are more like sentai/funimation than aniplex.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I remember when Kabaneri was going to revive the 5 tone teikoku and save anime.

Good times.

Cornbread78

Endride ep.13
CmYDJvaUcAIC_NV.jpg

Well, looks like tge bromance is back on now. It was nothing but a review episode, but I liked the presentation style they used yo review the prior episodes.

T-Rex.

Banned
I mean, I guess you could sort of argue that Emilia's always been nice to him (which is basically a lie absent being willfully ignorant) and that the only other girl who likes him (Rem) killed him a couple of times, but he doesn't seem even vaguely in fear of Rem.
I see where you're coming from, but I don't even think it matters whether or not she's been consistently nice to him. I think if the roles were switched and Rem was the first one he had a meaningful interaction with, and the scenario played out exactly as it did with Emilia, then she'd be the one he'd be infatuated with. The fact he was a shut-in NEET makes it a believable scenario for me. We see situations like that in real life all the time where lonely dudes become obsessed with women over the smallest of things. Also at the start he was treating the whole thing as an RPG and was looking for the "cute girl who summoned me" so like Haly says, from that perspective, in his eyes Emilia would also be the heroine since she saves him from getting his ass kicked and he's then put in a position where he can use his powers to help her.

Oh and I'm on the Emilia is Satella train so maybe the curse is a factor.

Cornbread78

I firgot to ask again here, but there are sone peeps tgat are intetested in doingca group watch for Code Geass, anyone here intetested in jumping in? It would start next week; should be interesting...

I firgot to ask again here, but there are sone peeps tgat are intetested in doingca group watch for Code Geass, anyone here intetested in jumping in? It would start next week; should be interesting...
I'm intested but where can we watch it legally? Funimation doesn't stream it yet.

Gvitor

Does it get significantly better after ep1? I watched it a while ago and really felt no desire to keep watching. I saw some people comparing Lelouch to Light (Death Note) and I went in expecting this. Left disappointed.

Line_HTX

Does it get significantly better after ep1? I watched it a while ago and really felt no desire to keep watching. I saw some people comparing Lelouch to Light (Death Note) and I went in expecting this. Left disappointed.

Everyone must keep going.

John Blade

NOTE: THIS WILL BE SPOILER SO, IF YOU NEVER WATCH THIS SHOW, DON'T READ MY POST.

Impression Note:

Basically the story arch continue with Fuuko and her journey to get people to take her starfish and ask them to come to her older sister wedding. This time her friend manage to get her older sister to come to the school for the school festival. This is mostly trying to get her to talk to Fuuko even though she is still in comma. During this time, Fuuko try to help out by giving away her starfish to student in the school which eventually get enough attention. Kinda happy about this but the big shocker is at the end when her older sister come to the school to visit and even though all three of them introduce to her, the older sister can't see Fuuko which basically proof Fuuko is actually a ghost.

Not too surprise but still sad that we now know why Fuuko keep saying why her older sister won't hear her voice. Do hope they is a good conclusion with Fuuko and her older sister as this is pity when you watch. Overall, a good episode even with the small rocky start the beginning (more random scene).

Cornbread78

I'm intested but where can we watch it legally? Funimation doesn't stream it yet.

Shit Funi and Hulu both got rid of their free commercial laden show streaming... Fuck 'em both...

Well, I guess that show is out now... WTF.

Tine to look for a new one. Maybe it's time to do SAO for the specticle..

Future Boy Conan 11-12

The adventure vibe in this sub-climax worked really well. The strength of the art direction and both the natural and technological design helps to make these trips through different environments more compelling. The longer runtime allows Miyazaki to be more expansive with his storytelling than in his later adventure films such as Castle in the Sky, which this feels most akin to. There's some similarities to Nausicaa as well, considering the post-apocalyptic setting and the environmental concerns, but whereas that film felt relatively perfunctory, this feels fully fleshed out. Having multiple factions be associated with Industria, particularly Dyce's breakaway ship crew who act primarily out of self-interest rather than allying with or against Conan, helps to broaden the scope of the world.

I'm really looking forward to seeing High Harbor in all its splendor. The single glimpse we got of it back when Lana was telling Conan about it looked beautiful.

John Blade

Shit Funi and Hulu both got rid of their free commercial laden show streaming... Fuck 'em both...

Well, I guess that show is out now... WTF.

Tine to look for a new one. Maybe it's time to do SAO for the specticle..

Maybe I throw another show for you to look into. It's in my collection of show I got but not yet watch. How about sakamichi no apollon? You can stream legally in CR which is good for people who want to watch it legal.

Also trailer for people to see what you're getting yourself into.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7plEDcWy0Oc

Cornbread78

Maybe I throw another show to you to look into. It's in my collection of show I got but not yet watch. How about sakamichi no apollon? You can stream legally in CR which is good for people who want to watch it legal.

Unfortunately, we watched Kids on the Slope already.

John Blade

I guess another show I can recommend but never watch yet is Moribito Guardian of the spirit. It's on Hulu but it's a 26 episodes which is longer if you want it to be short.

Cornbread78

Oh when....didn't notice it

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1141103

I guess another show I can recommend but never watch yet is Moribito Guardian of the spirit. It's on Hulu but it's a 26 episodes which is longer if you want it to be short.

That might work, I've wanted to check it out, but foesn't it ho through a long boring stretch?

How about a lets watch of Magi the adventure of sinbad when ot hit netflix on the 14th of july? It is going to be new for most.

Problem with Sinbad is that it's a spin-off from Magi with a bunch of references to the main show.

jonjonaug

Rewrite 1

I was surprised to read a lot of people didn't like this. I enjoyed it, though I do agree the second half escalated far too quickly. My enjoyment might also have to do with the fact that Rewrite is one of my most favorite VN ever.

It's the Eureka Seven effect. People who've experienced it will enjoy it more since they already know that everything has a satisfying payoff and that there's cool things being done that are unusual for the medium, but when you get right down to it the first few hours of Rewrite are a bunch of "MYSTERIOUS EVENTS" and standard anime tropes at the surface level.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I think you interpreted the intent there. She is lonely. Just like the earlier scene when she was crying, she doesn't want to eat alone..

This is indeed the intent I think they are going with, which is why I didn't drop this episode wholesale because fuck that noise. The problem is the framing was really fucking terrible so it looks like a romantic gesture.

Cornbread78

This is indeed the intent I think they are going with, which is why I didn't drop this episode wholesale because fuck that noise. The problem is the framing was really fucking terrible so it looks like a romantic gesture.

it's all that blushing. it's really difficult to tell 'i'm embarrassed at how shit i am at cooking' blushing from 'teachercrush' blushing.
heck it might be both, i dunno
anyway here's a picture of the seiyuus for lightning and sweetness

Yeah, it really was innocent, but I can see how it could be miscontrued. She was clearly embarassed about her cooking for her teacher and was lonely at the same time since her mom us never home.

Someone still watching this?

Yeah, I think it's just DTL and myself, lol.

Dragon Ball Super 50

Wow, the new ED is actually really good.

Love Live Sunshine 01

It has good faces so it gets a check from me

I'm glad they aren't doing 9 carbon copies of the original cast because then what would the point be? Student Council girl is just Eli though

The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. Episode 4 Shun Kaidou, AKA The Jet-Black Wings
CmuvVnuXEAArCiF.jpg:small
CmuvVpUWIAAlzyw.jpg:small

There he is finally. I love Kaidou the best. Jet Black Wing is such a cool name and his whole story for Dark Reunion, I was laughing. I also love Saiki letting us see his thoughts, poor guy. Cool episode and the song when the climax happened, need the ost.

Gvitor

Baby Steps S2 13-18

Maruo x Ide

Great match. Ide is a very likeable character and they managed to put some needed stakes for him in the match as well - It was obvious from the start that Maruo would win, since he needed the win to even get in the tournament that would decide if he'll become a pro or not.

Even so, they managed to raise the stakes for Ide by having the boy he saved cheer for him* and the similar stakes about not participating in the All-Japan tournament. Very entertaining, great between-the-legs shot near the end and fantastic end rally. Ide's reaction at the end was also great. "I lost, but I guess this was the best match ever, so that's okay".

*The only problem is with the boy coming over to see the match. Like, seriously. There's no way the surgery was done so quickly and even if it was or they just immobilized the (possible) bone fracture, there is just no way the doctors would let him out of the hospital to see a tennis match, wheelchair and nurse or not. I guess I can chalk it up for drama material, but even still, that crossed the line.

Baby Steps S2 13-18

Maruo x Ide

Great match. Ide is a very likeable character and they managed to put some needed stakes for him in the match as well - It was obvious from the start that Maruo would win, since he needed the win to even get in the tournament that would decide if he'll become a pro or not.

Even so, they managed to raise the stakes for Ide by having the boy he saved cheer for him* and the similar stakes about not participating in the All-Japan tournament. Very entertaining, great between-the-legs shot near the end and fantastic end rally. Ide's reaction at the end was also great. "I lost, but I guess this was the best match ever, so that's okay".

*The only problem is with the boy coming over to see the match. Like, seriously. There's no way the surgery was done so quickly and even if it was or they just immobilized the (possible) bone fracture, there is just no way the doctors would let him out of the hospital to see a tennis match, wheelchair and nurse or not. I guess I can chalk it up for drama material, but even still, that crossed the line.

That definitely was a really entertaining match, and they kept it tense throughout the whole thing, too. I liked how they really made the whole crowd being completely against Maruo, because it made things more entertaining and gave him some good reactions during the whole thing.

The kid showing up was definitely silly for the points you raised, although it was something that I think was obviously going to happen all along. But it pretty much doesn't make any sort of logical sense.

Jintor

Love Live Sunshine 01

It has good faces so it gets a check from me

I'm glad they aren't doing 9 carbon copies of the original cast because then what would the point be? Student Council girl is just Eli though

I'm really hoping that plotline goes sideways at some point because all the other cast members seem to have one quirk I didn't quite expect (Chuuni girl constantly breaking character is hilarious)

Actually I already remember something where she was mad and hit the table and immediately recoiled because hitting the table hurts. I thought that was kinda funny

jman2050

Even if it was, why is that such a terrible thing? Students crushing on their teachers has been a thing in fiction since forever.

If you're worried about the tone of the show you should be more concerned with what the teacher does.

Finally decide to watch HxH. Holy shit, did not expect the Yorknew City arc to be this dark. Complete 180 from the previous arc lol.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 13

I preferred the dramas that focused on the auditions rather than the final result. Because those resulted in some hilarious unexpected and life-threatening situations. I guess the actual movies do allow them to stuff in more cameos though. Yuri getting a role was great. Ako was the best cameo, and Yuzu was good too. Koharu really drew the short end of the stick. She should stay out of acting. I still can't remember who anyone from M4 is, and I still don't care to try. Though that one guy playing three roles was neat. Mahiru missing bugged me though. I guess next episode is meant to make up for that.

Thoraxes

For that matter, the last Sentai release I got (GochiUsa) didn't have many noticeable issues either. They've definitely improved from their earlier releases this decade.

I didn't pick that one up yet, but that's good to hear! I only got And Yet the Town Moves, but I think it was a 720p native show so that's not really the best test for quality, however it does look good!

I should have Koufuku Graffiti coming in the mail within 2-5 days. Can't wait to not only rewatch it (cause it looks good and is heartwarming), but i'm interested in checking out what the bitrates are. Every since I got a bluray drive on my PC i've been checking out all the vitals on how the encodes are made, and it's been interesting to say the least.

ibyea

Banned
ReLife: 1-2
I am just annoyed at the show, and not just due to the silly premise. Dropped.

Orange: 1
I am not very fond of teenage romance stories, but time travel involved stuff is like bait to me. It's at the very least intriguing. So I'm on board for now.

Sweetness and Lightning: 1
It was nice, with the episode ending with the dad promising his daughter a decent meal, in some ways taking a small step forward into overcoming some of the paralysis in his life after his wife's death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom