• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
no yuri tho
i dont even want to complete the second episode now.

It has was is called soft yuri as there is a lot of situational stuff and subtext. Also, there are no male characters and you have to look in the background shots to even find an un-detailed male figure even in places where there would be a shit ton more guys. That being said, it just another title that never had the wherewithal to embrace anything beyond surface level tropes for whatever reason. Harmless for the most part I suppose though it does veer into the intelligence insulting from time to time.

JCG

Why do people expect anything out of Macross these days? It's like expecting the second season of a Sunrise show to be good.

I liked Frontier more than Delta, especially when the movies are taken into account.

Speaking of which...the inevitable (?) Macross Delta movies could be pretty good.

Well, that would explain the amount of nudity seen in some gifs from just the PVs.

Also the maid(s). The guy also seems to have a thing for playing around with that.

Love Live Sunshine is pretty good

I don't think Sunshine really counts, the more I think about it.

I mean, the original Love Live had two seasons didn't it? Isn't the general consensus for season 2 that it was less than stellar?

Sunshine is more or less an entirely new thing taking place in the same universe.

I'm 33 episodes into Bakuman and holy shit this main character is one of the most insufferable and unlikable I've ever run across. He seems so whiney and entitled. Manga is almost like a drug and these last two episodes are his OD and subsequent intervention. But rather than reflect on his problems, he's openly hostile to everyone who is concerned for his wellbeing and convinces everyone he can handle another hit. Is this really a MC that people are supposed to relate to?

If you work in an extremely competitive field, or felt like people around you were worrying too much, then yeah.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
It has was is called soft yuri as there is a lot of situational stuff and subtext. Also, there are no male characters and you have to look in the background shots to even find an un-detailed male figure even in places where there would be a shit ton more guys. That being said, it just another title that never had the wherewithal to embrace anything beyond surface level tropes for whatever reason. Harmless for the most part I suppose though it does veer into the intelligence insulting from time to time.
Well ill only use 10 percent of brain, now if only i could remember the main girls name....
Dangaitronpaul i have to start from episode 1....

I don't think Sunshine really counts, the more I think about it.

I mean, the original Love Live had two seasons didn't it? Isn't the general consensus for season 2 that it was less than stellar?

Sunshine is more or less an entirely new thing taking place in the same universe.

Both seasons of Love Live are pretty much the same quality wise. I'd argue season 2 is better because it doesn't have dumb Kotori drama and pervy Nozomi. And it also has the Kiss episode.

here is my proof of sunshine bein better

c4RZlU4.jpg

Eumi

So. This is awful. That was your big twist? Honestly? You dropped that on the audience like you didn't even care, why the hell do you expect any of us to. Just, suddenly, "btw,
brainwashing
, ok moving on". Like, seriously, what the fuck?

Not even just that though, but this also completely exposes just how shitty the writing is in general here. Why the hell did
Naegi test the monitors? They're fucking breakable, just all go in a room, break the monsters, and if you wake up fine assume your theory is right!
Not only that, but Munakata's completely at fault here, so how the hell are we supposed to feel bad for him? He wasn't *tricked* into anything, he just started killing. Literally the single positive here is at least Naegi is taking action now and using his detective skills to price stuff together. I'd probably super pumped if he also wasn't a huge fucking idiot this episode.

Long story short: Still trash. I'm fully confident that no one should watch this if they get into the series now.

ALSO WHO THE FUCK WANTED TO SEE WHAT HAPPENED IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE ENDING OF DR1? THAT ENDING IS GREAT BECAUSE OF HOW VAGUE IT IS, YOU DIDN'T NEED TO CLARIFY!

Line_HTX

Why do people expect anything out of Macross these days? It's like expecting the second season of a Sunrise show to be good.

I think it can be a fun series. I like Frontier and Delta for what they are and nothing more. That being said, I'm getting kind of discouraged in how these explanations are executed...

zulux21

kill la kill 15-24

I will say, I am thankful for gamagori. his character really helps make mako more tolerable.

overall I am glad I revisited this series.

I still think the first 7 or so episodes are rather poor and have no regrets about my initial decision to drop the series. but the episodes beyond that are a pretty decent watch. Not amazing, but above average.

I think my mine gripe is I don't like most of the characters.

the whole series is an odd mix of decent world building, seemingly paying close attention to details, built on a foundation of a lot of stupid ideas that they manage to make work sometimes. Basically it feels like they were trying to be more ridiculous than gurren laggenn and while some ideas worked, a number of them didn't. Though, I will openly admit that it could merely be nostalgia for GL that is making me feel like it was better at this point, so I will have to go watch that again to see if it holds up for me. But at the very least I enjoyed the cast of GL a lot more on my first watch.

I can at the very least I can understand how some people can really enjoy this series. If you enjoy the characters and turn off your brain at times it could be a really really fun ride.

L.O.R.D

kill la kill 15-24

I will say, I am thankful for gamagori. his character really helps make mako more tolerable.

overall I am glad I revisited this series.

I still think the first 7 or so episodes are rather poor and have no regrets about my initial decision to drop the series. but the episodes beyond that are a pretty decent watch. Not amazing, but above average.

I think my mine gripe is I don't like most of the characters.

the whole series is an odd mix of decent world building, seemingly paying close attention to details, built on a foundation of a lot of stupid ideas that they manage to make work sometimes. Basically it feels like they were trying to be more ridiculous than gurren laggenn and while some ideas worked, a number of them didn't. Though, I will openly admit that it could merely be nostalgia for GL that is making me feel like it was better at this point, so I will have to go watch that again to see if it holds up for me. But at the very least I enjoyed the cast of GL a lot more on my first watch.

I can at the very least I can understand how some people can really enjoy this series. If you enjoy the characters and turn off your brain at times it could be a really really fun ride.

did you watched episode 25?

Because it is the same tired premise. Hyper aggressive tsundere falls in love with an uninteresting dark-haired guy.

Oreimo is funnier and has

so it is better. Incest still sucks tho, save that shit for doujins.

Qurupeke

I'm reading that Orange's final episode will be 1 hour long. I hope this means an emotional and satisfying finale. And that they'll actually be able to have proper art and animation for 1 hour...

It's a good thing Re: Zero is over and I have the Sunday night just for this though.

I'm reading that Orange's final episode will be 1 hour long. I hope this means an emotional and satisfying finale. And that they'll actually be able to have proper art and animation for 1 hour...

It's a good thing Re: Zero is over and I have the Sunday night just for this though.
I can only see Orange go one of two places. One of them will leave me more annoyed than the other. Let's see where the show goes really.

Moaradin

Man Orange was not nearly as good as I thought it would be going in. I kept hearing it's one of the best romance mangas ever, and it was super highly rated everywhere. Maybe I would like it a lot more if it wasn't for Naho. She's a super frustrating MC.

Cornbread78

The Tatami Galaxy ep.1
tumblr_n9fy1vhjmH1qh6swzo1_500.gif

That was pretty damn good with a great mix of comedy and intrigue. The artwork is out of this world and really stands out with it's crazy coloring and unique style. The OP and ED's are pretty good as well! The text sure does really fly by at times, probably the quickest I've witnessed since *Monogatari. Thankfully, it slows down at times and I've heard it only does that in select scenes moving forward. Overall, that was a pretty good intro to the series and I'm looking forward to seeing more as the
clock has turned back
now!

Orange you glad it ended up sucking?
I don't think it "sucks". It just really isn't all that, like manga readers made us believe. Naho falls under the type of shoujo protags that can be infuriating to watch, and some of the decisions made by these characters are just dumb. But suspension of belief since it's anime, and all that. There's much better romance anime out there tbh.

Cornbread78

I don't think it "sucks". It just really isn't all that, like manga readers made us believe. Naho falls under the type of shoujo protags that can be infuriating to watch, and some of the decisions made by these characters are just dumb. But suspension of belief since it's anime, and all that. There's much better romance anime out there tbh.

I was lead to believe it was this beautiful emotional roller coaster with a great romantic story, but yeah....

I mean, it still has been pretty good (production issues aside) however, it's not the great story I was promised.

Jarmel

Banned
Shinkai's stupid film has made over 9.1 billion yen. Wtf? :(

Kind of an arbitrary reason but I do a good amount of checking on auction sites for this and that off YJA and apparently there was a bunch of Shinkai stuff up for charity auctions.

http://reu.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/project?id=1041

Everything went for stupid amounts of money. We're talking 800,000 yen for an autographed copy by the cast of Your Name's script. Everything of his went for hundreds if not thousands for basic signatures and they were auctioning off a ton of stuff. At that point I figured this was probably a mega-hit.

He's made it to the big leagues.

If I wasn't with other people I would have gone back for a second viewing the moment I was out...

That was fantastic, both in terms of look and story. Makoto Shinkai really delivered something that managed to keep me interested for the whole duration of the movie (Kotonoha no Niwa had some really slow moments) and
him playing with his own tropes at the end was a really nice touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom