• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Mob Psycho 11- ALMOST THERE BABY!!! To anyone that said "man that episode of ReZero was chilling" I give them the end of this episode. That
one hundred percent
had me freaking out. I have a decent number of complaints about the anime, mostly that a lot of the manga scenes felt less powerful here, but damn that ending wasn't one! Brings me back to when the manga was getting updated on /a/ and everyone started freaking out when we got to this part. I am so pumped for next week!

i still like dr3 and ztd more then apollo justice

I didn't. Apollo Justice generally kept its charisma up to the end and it ended decently. Yes, Case 3 was a Trash Fire. Yes there are some chronology errors. But it's still fun and in good faith of the AA series unlike ZTD which had a dearth of charisma. And it evnetually gave us Spirit of Justice which is great overall.

Cornbread78

New Game-END
Seriously, such a lighthearted and fun show to watch. Watching the release party and the antics to buy their own copies and swag was cute and fun. Then, the 30 second epilogue was epic greatness, lololol. I'm going to miss this shows energy and for the record, lots of yuri baiting in here, but no yuri, lol.

javac

I’ve been meaning to watch Ojamajo Doremi for quite a few years now and after watching the first four episodes it’s not only abundantly clear just why this series is as beloved as it is but it’s equally clear that the wait was worth it. Ojamajo Doremi not only looks to be a phenomenal series but one that may become an all-time favorite of mine well before it's all said and done. From the charming art style that evokes the aesthetic of a child’s fairy tale book with its soft and painterly visage to the delightful character designs that accurately depict the looks and mannerisms of a carefree child to the adorable voice acting that bowls over the audience with ample amounts of cuteness. It’s a delightful series that had me genuinely laughing at all of the predicaments the writers had managed to conjure up but through all of the comedy and lightheartedness however lays a series with tact. It’s a delicate, sensitive series that entertains as much as it educates what would be younger audience members in a way that must make the cast proud to have their names attached to such a wonderful series.
3FXCJo3.jpg
aMbd5pt.jpg

2D9yNTX.jpg
dyUDdb5.jpg
Ojamajo is a show about unluckiest pretty girl in the world, Harukaze Doremi. She dreams of becoming a witch one day as a means to use magic to fix all of her problems. The first episode introduces us to her life, her family and the way in which she becomes a witch. We learn the ways in which the magic works and the etiquette itself, from how to transform into a witch which requires the use of a object called a tap to currency that is needed in order to cast spells, known as magic spheres. The second episode introduces the audience to her best friend, the book smart Hazuki Fujiwara whom is having issues at home. Harukaze, feeling that she too has issues at home with her family decides to use her powers in order to switch places for the day where they soon grow to realize that maybe their families care more about them than they initially thought. The third episode introduces us to a new character that is new to the town and joins the same school as Harukaze. At first she seems a little mean but we grow to understand her and a friendship is formed between the three. The fourth episode deals with Karukaze’s friends becoming witches and the three work to renovate the magic shop in order to purchase more magic spheres.
The backgrounds in Ojamajo aren’t intricately detailed but are instead both soft and painterly, often evoking the aesthetic of a children’s fairy tale book. The edges of the screen are often faded out and the backgrounds have a texture to it not unlike a dimpled handmade piece of paper. All of this works together to create a warm and inviting canvas that you often get lost in. An extensive use of earth tones comprised of browns, tans, warm greys, and greens are utilized which adds to this effect. For a show that aired in 1999, one aimed at a younger audience no less and at a span of 51 episodes the show has managed to age amazingly well and looks fantastic. Some of the more dated visual effects manage to add charm to this show and are implemented flawlessly. The visuals are pleasant and attractive to the eyes and fantastic character designs and animation play a big part in that.
The character designs themselves are fun and highly animated. The characters have large heads with huge eyes that are super expressive. Expressive is the perfect word to use when talking about this show because everything from the facial expressions to the hyper animated and exaggerated mannerisms of the characters is highly indicative of a young child. The animators capture the childlike nature superbly which adds to the plausibility of these characters and their emotions. In traditional children show fashion the three main characters designs each make use of three distinct colors, pink, blue and orange in order to distinguish one from the other, although the unique character designs do the job of distinguishing them from each other perfectly. The character movements are funny and interesting and the facial expressions are equally entertaining.
Music is a key element of this series and so far this show has excelled in the audio department. The voice acting is nuanced and charming and the then 24 year old voice actress that voices the main character does a fantastic job of depicting the voice of a child. The cadence at which the characters speak adds a lot to the humor.
So far I’ve loved every second of this series and I’m champing at the bit to watch more. I have it on good record that this show goes in directions with some upsetting and depressing themes being tackled, from miscarriages to suicide and so far the show has done a fantastic job of proving that it will be able to handle such themes with tack and sensitivity and I can’t wait to watch more.

Baalzebup

Has Delta been same quality or worse than Frontier? I still got some enjoyement out of Frontier so if it is not that much worse maybe I watch it during some day.

Action-wise, the few high moments might subjectively eclipse the similar moments of Frontier, but overall, I'd say Frontier is the better show. I really doubt they'll be able to make the final battle reach anywhere near Frontiers. The "love triangle" never really took off, or indeed, even moved over to the runway in the first place. Some of the songs are good or decent, but again, I'd put Frontier above Delta in that regard. And all of the female cast wishes they were half as good as Sheryl was when it comes to being an entertaining character.

cj_iwakura

ZTD had its moments, but those moments were all pretty much retroactively ruined by the ending.
It's a bit hard to have any feelings left for all of the Sigma/Diana/Phi stuff when Complex Motives reveals that he just set the whole thing up so that he and Phi could be conceived.

Was kind of worth it to see
a perfect character like Diana have the rug pulled out from under her in the routes where Zero says she is a heartless killer. I love trope subversions like that

Cornbread78

Sweetness & Lightning END

Just too damn cute. I'm so happy they kept this show away from tge otaku route and kept it sweet, cute and clean throughout. I'm gonna miss Tsumugi's cuteness each week! Oh and we finaly got to meet her mom and see one last Tsunugi cute booty shake mixer song/dance, lol.

Gvitor

Mob Psycho 90

Weelp, I really did not see that after credits scene coming. Even if I still think it's a gag.

Mob Psycho 89

Yeah, I called it.

Not a hard call though. I'm torned about how I feel about it. In one hand it gave us some nice scenes and Mob (and Reigen) development. In the other I just wanted Mob to wreck some shit. I think that'll happen next episode, so all in all it was for the better, I think.

This anime got sooo much better after it started this arc. It actually has progression and it makes for a more exciting story. Even the jokes got better because of it, somehow.

Though I can't blame Mob for having an unfocused opening since it had to introduce some elements (various shows did that, from the recent OPM back to Bleach or even as old as Yu Yu Hakusho and probably older than that as well), Mob's was just poor. And coming from OPM's great last stretch (and reading the great next arc in the manga), Mob just looked like the idiot brother to OPM, when, much like Mob and Ritsu in the show, they're equals.

even if Mob is ONE's main work, let me have that analogy

Tuck

Mob Psycho 100 - 11
Another fantastic episode. Really enjoyed seeing just what a positive influence Reigen has on mob. And the action...

Shame this is done in an episode. Hope we get a second season. It had a somewhat weak star, but this show really, really came into its own. Amazing characters, action, and a solid story.

For those interested in animation technique, check out this fascinating article about how the Pokemon animation team at OLM have been working to incorporate digital animation (i.e., drawing on tablets instead of paper and pencil) into their working process. The animation staff talk about the difficulties of adapting Western software for use by Japanese animators, and some of the specific approaches they take to creating quality digital work. I think you can see the fruits of their labors in Sun and Moon.
Looks interesting from the skimming I did. Will read when I have more time. Thanks.

Jintor

ZTD wasn't what I wanted exactly but at the end of the day I never thought I'd get it, so even if it's a disappointing end to a fucking amazing series I'm happy to have played it at all.

Cornbread78

Code Geass ep.23
Oh Euphy.. Lelouch has really officially lost it. Fear death, he foes not... Holy shit at the mass carnage he is putting on Britrania. How did he make thst happen so quickly?

It was fine. I really enjoyed ZTD because the entire game is just an insane wild ride, and the ending does tie everything up in a reasonable way.

Radical 6 being released because Delta wanted to stop a religious fanatic from killing 8 billion people so he decided to kill 6 billion people instead to be on the safe side is about as far from a "reasonable way" was I can think of.

Jintor

The real problem with ZTD is the amount of times the true end makes you hear the words "
MIND HACK
" over and over again

it's just a dumb sounding phrase

Deadly

I'm at episode 19, haven't really been keeping up with the show regularly, since it wasn't really the most exciting thing, especially the second arc.
Would you say is it still worth it to finish the remaining episodes, and to get an ending, since i already invested quite a lot of time into it?
Wait until next week and we'll give you an accurate answer. At this rate it'll conclude with "To be continued....in theaters!" kind of thing anyways. If it does conclude, I really doubt it'll be any satisfying.

Baalzebup

Code Geass ep.23
Oh Euphy.. Lelouch has really officially lost it. Fear death, he foes not... Holy shit at the mass carnage he is putting on Britrania. How did he make thst happen so quickly?

Lulu has been planning shit like that for a good while, laying the groundwork for it. For all its limitations, his Geass is a damn powerful tool for all kinds of shit due to its absolute nature and seeming lack of any kind of time limit.

ibyea

Banned
Radical 6 being released because Delta wanted to stop a religious fanatic from killing 8 billion people so he decided to kill 6 billion people instead to be on the safe side is about as far from a "reasonable way" was I can think of.

For me that aspect is not necessarily bad because
one aspect of VLR and ZTD is the idea that people who know how to manipulate timelines are extremely detached to the timelines they use and then discard, even though they are every bit as real. In addition I think it fits this asshole character whose thinking is entirely utilitarian, and sort of encapsulates why even if Akane and Sigma did the nonary games for more "noble" motives, that it can be a terrible way of thinking. The main problem I think lies in the fact that the death game didn't amount to anything, and giving the characters "motivation" through it was the cheapest way to resolve it since it's not like there weren't any time travelers around who weren't trying to solve the problem. In essence, I think the ending was a copout on the idea that every timeline is every bit as real, that the "you" over there is every bit as real as the "you" here, and that the attempt to find the "ideal timeline" is in some ways a folly for those reasons. Which is a shame because things like the cloning machine, Sean's virtual copy/real world ending, Sigma and Diana stuck in the Mars experiment site ending, and the whole question of "why am I here and not there?" made it seem like that is where the story was headed.

The real problem with ZTD is the amount of times the true end makes you hear the words "
MIND HACK
" over and over again

it's just a dumb sounding phrase

hahaha, mind hack does sound really dumb.

Cornbread78

Code Geass ep.24
Oh Lulu, you done fucked up now. They are gonna kill
your imouto now.
.. I guess he's gonna feel a little of the despair he's been dishing out now that they gonna get her and he's about to ve outed to everyone... uh oh..

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mob Psycho 100 Episode 11:

You really should not have done that, the consequences are probably going to be severe.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Seeing everyone's reaction to this episode of Mob Psycho has me super excited to see everyone's reaction to what happens. I know everyone likes Mob Psycho, but none of you know the reason why people love this show so much.

Code Geass ep.24
Oh Lulu, you done fucked up now. They are gonna kill
your imouto now.
.. I guess he's gonna feel a little of the despair he's been dishing out now that they gonna get her and he's about to ve outed to everyone... uh oh..

Your reactions are really making me want to rewatch Code Geass. For all it's melodrama and CLAMP, Lelouch was a really fun anti-hero to watch in action. Even S2, which people largely consider the weaker season, has a lot of great moments where he just has an insane number of cogs in motion.

Cornbread78

Code Geass S1 END
FUUUUUUCCCKKKKKIINNGGG CLIFFFHANNGGEERRR! Did they really just kill
Nunnully
? Just as I thought, he was outed by
Cornelia, but Is C.C really about to die taking out Orange?
Seriously, that was a very mean cliffhanger ending... The C.C monologue was an excellent emotional recap of what Lelouch has been going through, but damn that ending... Why is Kallen so upset anyway? After everything
Lelouch/Zero has done for her since he created the Black Knight? Deceived? Not really
So good, but damn at that cliffhanger. I guess I have to start S2 right away instead of taking a break, lol.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Code Geass S1 END
Nunnully
Seriously, that was a very mean cliffhanger ending... The C.C monologue was an excellent emotional recap of what Lelouch has been going through, but damn that ending... Why is Kallen so upset anyway? After everything
Lelouch/Zero has done for her since he created the Black Knight? Deceived? Not really
So good, but damn at that cliffhanger. I guess I have to start S2 right away instead of taking a break, lol.

e65.gif

THE RIDE NEVERS ENDS

on to pizzahut season 2 please
Welcome the summer of 2007, Cornbread.
i remember that year. SkullMan was robbed.

Strike Witches Blair Witch

Its a weird movie and I don't know what the goal was and eve I don't really know what I even wanted out of it. At times it feels far too attached to the movie (almost remakey, and you cannot remake Blair Witch, it only works once) but it also attempts to add elements that i don't really think are necessary. There are definitely cool things going on but...I think there were like 9 times there was a jump scare that was just another person suddenly appearing and I dunno if they offset that problem alone.

kewlmyc

Code Geass S1 END
Nunnully

At least you can just pick up Season 2 immediately instead of waiting a year like everyone else had to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom