• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Blade

Koe no Katachi

Just finish reading the manga few months ago and love it. I am happy the movie will follow the same idea of the manga but with some minor change which make sense. I will try to watch it when it release here in North America.

Also, I am alive people. Just too many stuff have happen with me and also the show I am watching is on hold as it's kinda boring right now. Will need to get through them asap and also the detail impression of Clannad.

Lastly, the creator artist of Clannad leaving, good for her. She should do something more interesting than what she is doing in the past.

duckroll

I thought he already did.

hI0ePXi.jpg

blurr

New Game 12

Well, there ends this lovely little parade of moe, office culture and brief moments of hilarity.

It was nice to see how things go about post release, although much of it was reminiscent of the final episode of Shirobako. Nothing out of the ordinary but they made sure they tied up most of the loose ends along with a lot of familiar things.

I laughed when Nene accidentally spoiled the ending to the game, quite mishap there, much of these moments were something I have at least heard of if not experienced the same.

I liked the bit when Aoba realizes who the voice actor was only when she re-enacts her role, that was funny and it's something I'm guilty of on more than one occasion. Very cool to see the show pick up on people like me along with the other nerds.

Yagami's reluctance due to a bitter experience as an AD is understandable but bad experiences are things you have to overcome which is easier said than done. Thankfully, Aoba took care of it gracefully. It's very reassuring knowing that there is still hope for your prospects especially when the reassurance comes from your own influence.

Ray Down

Banned
Wooo I think that after finally all this time I figured what the title of D.Gray-Man means and refer too.

Either I'm dumb or it was too obvious.

Well the D literally stands for Dear, Hoshino said I believe in an Instagram post, but can't check since she took her's down due to complaining about an anime poster and her editor telling her to only use it for personal use and other stuff.

phaze

6 episodes into FMA:B and I'm not sure I'm enjoying this at all to be honest.

Do I stick with it or change to something else?
I'd tell you to persevere, it gets better after 10 episodes and long running shounens always need a while find their groove but obviously, it's your choice and decision of whether you see potential or anything of worth in there

Ace Attorney 6 Case 3

Wow, that ending took me by surprise. Thought for sure
the wife was the killer.
Decent case I think.

I will say while I'm enjoying the game, Ace Attorney 6 has 3 noticeable problems so far. For starters, the music isn't quite as good as previous games. Some tracks are good, but it feels like a step down from 5. The game also has this annoying habit of overusing flashbacks, and apparently it only picks up from here. I'm not talking about flashbacks from things you haven't seen either, I'm talking about conversations you had like 10-15 minutes ago. Lastly, the new prosecutor, Nahyuta is a bit on the dull side so far.

zulux21

did you watched episode 25?

I did after that post. didn't really change any thoughts.
25 was a fine little bonus episode, but in the grand scheme wasn't needed at all. Given I was expecting a swimsuit beach episode though it was much better than expected :p

If I had been watching the series as it came out and then had to wait the year before episode 25, and really enjoyed the series I imagine episode 25 was a great thing as it was a decently well done extra episode (aside from summoning scissors from space, even by this shows standards that scene was really dumb)

I do need to figure out what i want to watch next... perhaps dennou coil in english.

6 episodes into FMA:B and I'm not sure I'm enjoying this at all to be honest.

Do I stick with it or change to something else?

what issues are you having with it. if it is pacing... that will get fixed.

the issue is brotherhood assumes you watched and know the original series, so it just burns though the content they both covered at a pace that is horrid for a new watcher. once it gets past that stuff it goes to a much better pace.

phaze

Taboo Tattoo 12
Fucking lol did they just pull an Aku no Hana at the end ?

There hasn't been anything on the level of first three eps from the content I went through, bleh. And that CG fight at the end
erptuu9xmssu.gif

But I at least saw that being childhood friend is still maximum suffering.

Eila

the issue is brotherhood assumes you watched and know the original series, so it just burns though the content they both covered at a pace that is horrid for a new watcher. once it gets past that stuff it goes to a much better pace.

Eh, I thought so as well until I read the manga. Those first 25 episodes of the 2003 series are 4 volumes of manga. They adapted them in 9 episodes (2-10) in Brotherhood.
That said, I think they did a nice job working with what they had back in 2003. The extra screen time made those early characters way more likeable.

SuperSah

Banned

Exactly this. I have no clue wtf is going on half the time and I'm not familiar at all to the series. I'd hate for it to be something I have to research in order to enjoy.

Paltheos

New anime

I hope you're watching SNAFU as soon as possible. It's the correct choice.

All the key hate:

Most of the Key stuff I could leave. A few things are ok though.

Planetarian is a little too quiet but handles its robot well and doesn't cave into Key's usual oversaturated melodrama (until the end; also, I think allot of people don't get that the robot's *supposed* to be annoying).

Kanon '06 has this creepy underpinning that something is very wrong with the life that Yuiichi's leading in this town. I only found out after the fact it was a 'route adapted show' but Yuiichi seldom referencing his other experiences amplified that feeling. I also like Yuiichi allot for being an all-around cool dude who doesn't suffer from overly dramatized problems.

Clannad is almost all textbook 'how not to do this' Key stuff, which is pretty disappointing considering how much I liked Kanon. Bad comedy mashed together with melodrama starring a character with super-teenage problems and featuring a cast of mostly insufferable or unrelatable twats.

I mean, Kanon does some of that too. The comedy in Kanon isn't particularly funny, but it serves to break apart serious and atmospheric scenes. Clannad tries the same formula but fails miserably, probably for a bunch of reasons but the first one off the top of my head is that I don't care about Tomoya or the people around him. I also don't think the show's as visually interesting as Kanon.

I could (and have) gone on about my reasons for not liking the show. ... I'll just say the things I like. I like Kyou and Tomoyo. Their characters are interesting and entertaining. I really like the Tomoyo OVA. It was so much smarter than the main Clannad TV series I was... shocked(? that word might be justified here). Really good stuff, especially that conclusion. Tomoya and Tomoyo have real, people problems, and sure they're young people problems but they're handled with grace.

Moaradin

Exactly this. I have no clue wtf is going on half the time and I'm not familiar at all to the series. I'd hate for it to be something I have to research in order to enjoy.

IMO I would watch the 2003 series first, and then watch Brotherhood of you're itching for more. Brotherhood gets a lot better once it stops adapting the same material as the original anime, but the original series definitely does a much better job with the early stuff.

zulux21

IMO I would watch the 2003 series first, and then watch Brotherhood of you're itching for more. Brotherhood gets a lot better once it stops adapting the same material as the original anime, but the original series definitely does a much better job with the early stuff.

really neither series does an amazing job with the early stuff.

brotherhood goes through it to quickly
the early series drags certain parts on for way to long... way way way to long.
F U EMO AL!

really it would have been nice if brotherhood had just dedicated a few more episodes to it as the content really should have been done in 13 or so episodes not 9 or 25.

that being said the original overall did a better job, especially given the fact that one character that is important in brotherhood, is just glossed over early on in brotherhood while in the original they cover him in detail. plus I don't think brotherhood gives huges enough screen time, his extra screen time in the original really makes things better.

in general I recommend either watch the original first and then brotherhood, or if you aren't up for so much, just read the first few volumes of manga and start at episode 10 or 11 of brotherhood.

yeah, it was rather short sighted of them to do it the way they did. but at the same time they really wanted to get to the new content so fans didn't tune out before they got there.
there were a ton of fans during the initial airing talking about how shitty it was that they were just covering the same material back when the show was airing :/ but that start is by far the weakest part of brotherhood.

SuperSah

Banned
Well, I'll try and stick it out. I just watched another episode (the one looking in the library) and it's getting better. Maybe it was a slow start, but I'll see. If it doesn't improve within 4-5 more episodes, I'll move on to something else.

Cornbread78

Seriously, you guys confused the hell out of me when I watched FMA and it's happening again, lol.

The pacing is a little off at the beginning of but it gets better and the show keeps rolling.

Cornbread78

Yeah, it's bad advice to tell someone to mix and match. Recommend one or the other.

Though I never had any problems going into Brotherhood blind.

I enjoyed Brotherhood for the fights. The fights felt significantly more satisfying(read flashy) in Brotherhood than the original series.

I went straight Brotherhood and had no problems with it.

I think the problem people run into is that they keep trying to compare and contrast the two series and which one was better.

I hadn't watched either and never read the manga, so I just went for the newest and "grandest" experience, so I went right into brotherhood.

Cornbread78

Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar ep.1
First of all, I didn't realize that these were 50 min. episodes! Second, the OP is really good. Mext, the sound was distracting and straight terrible, tge art was just OK and the content was just alright. Overall, that was a pretty weak opening and I really hope it gets better because I wanted some lighthearted harem fun out of this show.

SuperSah

Banned
Alright, I sat down and watched 3 more episodes so I'm up to 10 now.

It's certainly gotten better and the focus on the brothers is pretty cool. I also liked the fight with the prison guards at the 'Fifth Laboratory'. I'll be sticking with it as it's getting a bit better now, though the start is abysmal in terms of pacing.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar ep.1

First of all, I didn't realize that these were 50 min. episodes! Second, the OP is really good. Mext, the sound was distracting and straight terrible, tge art was just OK and the content was just alright. Overall, that was a pretty weak opening and I really hope it gets better because I wanted some lighthearted harem fun out of this show.
Cornbread did geass ruined you?

Sölf

Death Note 01-02
Well, it's about time I started watching this. I held off on it because I already know of a certain characters death and, well, that more or less destroyed any motivation I had for watching this.

Anyway, I am only 2 episodes in and not much has happend so far. However, if this "outplaying the opponent" continues and probably improves upon, I already know I will love this show. Light's contraption in episode 2 was already interesting and L's way of finding out where Kira lives was also quite cool. And as said, since I am only 2 episodes in, I have high hopes for this to completely spiral out of control with this "outplaying the opponent".

Yeah, this is going to be a ride.

Chase17

Sölf;217542926 said:
Death Note 01-02
Well, it's about time I started watching this. I held off on it because I already know of a certain characters death and, well, that more or less destroyed any motivation I had for watching this.

Anyway, I am only 2 episodes in and not much has happend so far. However, if this "outplaying the opponent" continues and probably improves upon, I already know I will love this show. Light's contraption in episode 2 was already interesting and L's way of finding out where Kira lives was also quite cool. And as said, since I am only 2 episodes in, I have high hopes for this to completely spiral out of control with this "outplaying the opponent".

Yeah, this is going to be a ride.
Prepare to mute OP2 when you get there.

Well the D literally stands for Dear, Hoshino said I believe in an Instagram post, but can't check since she took her's down due to complaining about an anime poster and her editor telling her to only use it for personal use and other stuff.
If she said it then I can't really argue but I was thinking it more or less meant *The Gray Man* as a reference
to Allen being an individual between the dark matter (black) and innocence(white) and so being gray.

Well now that I think about it, it could still mean Dear Gray man and still work.

Cornbread78

Orange ep.12
Damn, I actually felt a twinge of saddness there at the end. I'm really not sure if they can actually
save him, but seeing the two timelines
side by side shows how difficult it has been on everyone...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom