• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chase17

Sölf;217547027 said:
Maximum the Hormone is great, you shut your mouth!

i unironically love that OP and Maximum the Hormone you shut up
Just listened to it again to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything.

Sure wasn't.
DN kinda sucks at that part in the story. The OP is the small blessing you'll get.
Maybe my dislike is since I subconsciously associate it with when the series takes a nose dive.

Jarmel

Banned
Patlabor-Next Generation

This is so dull, why am I watching th
5b1ALbI.jpg

ohhhh im fine with this

Gvitor

Just choose to not watch the show instead.

I'll give it a couple of episodes. None of the waifu competitors rubbed me off the wrong way still, so we'll see.

Danganronpa Future 11

The twist that there is no attacker is really good... but unfortunately it heavily relies in the brainwashing thing, which sucked.

The Munakata x Sakakura ending was really good.... but unfortunately it comes after nothing but shit in these characters' developments.

Goddammit Kodaka.

Jarmel

Banned
Patlabor-Next Generation
Well I only could watch episode 00 and episode 1 as that's all that is translated and the subbers seem to be going at a snail's pace (supposedly due to the fact that the episodes are dialogue heavy). I decided to give this a watch to see if Oshii's anime directorial skills transferred over to a different medium.
So far my reaction is no, primarily because the acting is overly dramatic and while the intention is supposed to be comedic, it comes across as artificial. My guess is that some of this might be a particular Japanese drama style found in live action shows but at times the actors are too expressive and don't look natural. For example one of the new pilots is a drunk and so he always appears dead drunk, to the point of drooling or staring at the ceiling in an open mouth expression. Scenes in the show at times feel like a bunch of people were thrown in front of a camera and little acting guidance was given. Interestingly that highlights one of the major limitations of live action compared to something like anime in that the director has more control in anime over a character's facial responses or 'acting'. Oshii doesn't have the level of control normally afforded to him and so certain scenes lack the atmosphere he might otherwise exude. A good case being the Patlabor being raised up near the end as it looked less dreamlike compared to the anime and more of a fake prop. Even besides that, something that is somewhat worrisome is that the comedic jokes are flat or just out-and-out bad. The singing scenes are just bizarre. I'm wondering if that's going to be a problem if Oshii continues doing comedic material in the future.
The characters themselves are largely similar to their original counterparts, to the point where the show comes across as a retread. The writers had to be aware and were possibly poking fun at themselves because some of the names are really damn similar to their original version. Noa Izumi was the main character in the original Patlabor anime and the new girl's, that is filling her place, name is Akira Izumino. Speaking of Akira, I found the actress portraying her to be particularly bad among the cast. She always seems like she's smiling or on the verge of smiling and never portrays the aura that she's an actual policewoman. The actress is supposed to be some sort of singer in real life so I guess this type of job was for raising her profile. Another similarity example is with the volatile drunk on the team now and he fills a similar role as Ohta in the original show. The drunk's name is Otawara Isamu (who is extremely annoying). I mean for god's sake, the captain's name is Keiji Gotōda and the original's was Kiichi Goto. The new captain is kinda cool though, mostly because he's a Goto clone and Goto was cool therefore the new guy is awesome by extension. It's all pretty on the nose and highlights how inferior the new cast is compared to the old one except for one notable difference.
Instead of an American policewoman coming over, we have a Russian one doing a similar some sort of exchange program. Kanuka was always S+ tier with her English "shut up!" lines but she's next level. I swear to god, the Patlabor reboot better have a bad bitch like her running the show. ill cut someone to get her added to future reboots

sasuke_91

I'm watching Orange and like it a lot so far. 8 episodes in. How good is the anime compared to the manga?

Also finished Re:Zero a few days ago and it was okaay. Nothing special imo. Visuals were good, characters were okay, dialogue was really bad lol.

Surprised by the hype that Kimi no Na wa has created. Is it that good? Also looking forward to Koe no Katachi. Read the manga and thought it lacked something, but I'm still looking forward to the KyoAni adaptation.

Chase17

Tatami Galaxy 02
Jumping ahead of the let's watch since this show has me hooked already. Really interested by how the "major decision" leads down the same path more or less. Three main characters are great so far. Curious to see where the show goes from here. I imagine the paths will begin to get a little more varied within the next couple of episodes.

Show also has a great sense of humor. Although the pervert stuff may have gone a bit far to my liking this episode but it seems like a one time thing.

Should also note that I really like how the show transitions into the ending theme.

I dont think anyone likes MTH songs because they are good, its because their corny Japanese nu-metal songs about Freeza are appealing
I don't doubt it. I'm kind of leaning into hyperbole. Really the only part that I find grating in that OP is like the last 15 seconds.

sasuke_91

Its a Shinkai film. Extremely pretty, but don't expect him to break out anything that will surprise you.

Yeah that's why I'm curious. Not a fan of his movies to be honest. They're pretty, at least the environments. The character design is nothing to write books about.
I also prefer classic animation in general like Studio Ghibli.

Jarmel

Banned
Oshii needs to stop doing live-action.
Not really sure what his end game is here. If he was being smart, he should have been a producer or creative director for the GitS Hollywood version. Even if it failed, he would be raising his profile and making inroads into Hollywood.
I think Oshii is a lost cause at this point. Even the few animated pieces he's done in the past several years, such as his recent spot for Toonami, have been bad.
His micro-series next year with Toonami should be fairly telling.

Gvitor

Also, when they say an hour long, it usually means it's 40min long, taking account intervals and stuff. Still, I don't know if I can't take 40min of forced Kakeru feels.

Golden Time 03

wth was this episode lol

Did I seriously watch an episode where a religious cult abducted 20 students for 3 days?

Golden Time 04

A confession in the 4th episode? I don't know what I'm watching, but it's not anime

Also, that cliffhanger... I chose the wrong waifu

Gvitor

Golden Time 05&06

Damn, this is exactly what I thought it was going to be, a choose-your-waifu show where you choose wrong.

I already hate that I'm cheering for Linda.

Clov

His micro-series next year with Toonami should be fairly telling.

Very interested in seeing this. If it's anything like that strange TV spot he did for them, it'll probably be a comedic series. It's been a while since he's done any animated comedy, so I'm curious as to how it will turn out.

JulianImp

More Despair (both sides) #10
Meeeeeeeeeeeeeh.

Magical brainwashing crap is the best! And even then, if that won't work, you can just pick people's brain to do it anyway!

As for the other side, it's cliché as hell, and ends on a really predictable cliffhanger as some kind of plead to have us watch some more.

It almost feels like they used Atari ET cartridges to fill in the gaps in the plot. In Umineko terms, they've gutted the cat to show us its guts... but sadly they were just a mess of boring and downright senseless writing. We were much, much better off with shrodinger's cat left unobserved, when we could fill out what had actually happened during the tragedy with theories that were infinitely more appealing than "Enoshima brainwashes the world after copying psychological manipulation techniques from a master animator".

...Seriously, Despair is downright retarded. Enoshima wins the security guy over with blackmail over him having a crush on his male friend, has a magical back-up plan for brainwashing Chisa after the video somehow fails, and can also use brainwashing techniques to keep the 77th class stuck in place even with fucking live footage. This was meant to bring a satisfying conclussion to the series as a whole in preparation for its reboot?

ZetsubouSenseiDespair.gif

Line_HTX

Thunderbolt Fantasy 07

These threats don't seem all that dangerous for something otherworldly, especially that golem statue.

I'm waiting for the that blondie to have the stupidest death ever because he's pretty dumb to a fault.

Wow, Shang. What a fucking sissy just because he worked up a sweat fighting the Valley of the Dead and that golem statue. At least Screaming Phoenix Killer has the right attitude.

LuffyZoro

I only ever watched Brotherhood, and I was fine with the beginning. The show got better later on, but I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything.

Show by Rock Short 12 END

This was pretty much what you'd expect from a series of light-hearted shorts whose purpose was basically to keep the Show by Rock characters in viewers' minds. I certainly can't complain about more amazing Shingan Crimsonz faces.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So because of that one thread about people editing the covers of old books, I've been going through some old science fiction stories.

I found out that the manga and subsequent anime for Toward the Terra (award winning) took ideas wholesale from a science fiction book written by Canadian author A.E. van Goht named Slan.

How obvious is it that he took the ideas? It's about on par with me making a game called Legend of Lonk where Lonk has to find the Triangleforce.

The main character of the old science fiction book is named Jommy, the main character of Toward the Terra is named Jomy.

jman2050

Golden Time 05&06

Damn, this is exactly what I thought it was going to be, a choose-your-waifu show where you choose wrong.

I already hate that I'm cheering for Linda.

Linda is the worst.

That's not even favoritism/waifu wars talking either, Linda literally did everything wrong. She's the Minori of Golden Time.

ibyea

Banned
Danganronpa - Despair: 10
I don't hate it and I feel like there is some good trying to claw out, but I feel very little in the end. Nothing about this impending doom feel dangerous or in any way earned. In the end, so little has been done with Nanami that any sense of tragedy that might have come out of the episode is snuffed out.

Danganronpa - Future: 11
I feel really stupid for not seeing the obvious solution to the crime, and not because it was particularly clever. This side is still enjoyable in my estimation. I went in with no illusion of what I wanted out of the show, and I got exactly that, one last wild ride with the characters from the first game.

Aki-at

Japan 2016 - THE END

senioritis-dont-want-to-go.gif

:(

Highlight: Meeting Toshihiro Nagoshi and getting him to sign a copy of Yakuza 1.
Lowpoint: Buying a Vash the Stampede figure which box immediately got ruined because of the rain. Figures fine but the box man oh maaaan.

Was great, would do again even with anime GAF if I can save up enough money lol.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 07

These threats don't seem all that dangerous for something otherworldly, especially that golem statue.

I'm waiting for the that blondie to have the stupidest death ever because he's pretty dumb to a fault.

Wow, Shang. What a fucking sissy just because he worked up a sweat fighting the Valley of the Dead and that golem statue. At least Screaming Phoenix Killer has the right attitude.

Hey now, if you were the MVP and all your team mates did was ask you to do the heavy lifting you'd get pretty pissy too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom