• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
*sees All Out is confirmed for 25 episodes, sees new image*

Cszfh48VMAQOfHA.jpg:large

...Is his hair actually supposed to look like that?

The guys in the front are fine I guess, but that design in the back looks awful.

How god, looks like Erin 14 is a recap... but it has new scenes? I hate when it happens. :(

Kemono no Souja Erin?

If so, yeh. this anime is kinda annoying with how many times the backstory intro is played but then diverges into something relevant to the episode so you gotta be careful about skipping.

That episode 14 is that sort of recap episode, yeh. It's particularly odd because it replays sequences that previously had an OP track insert and now goes with a much more appropriate mood piece.

Forgot mentioning that previously actually.

Cornbread78

How god, looks like Erin 14 is a recap... but it has new scenes? I hate when it happens. :(

Kemono no Souja Erin?

If so, yeh. this anime is kinda annoying with how many times the backstory intro is played but then diverges into something relevant to the episode so you gotta be careful about skipping.

That episode 14 is that sort of recap episode, yeh. It's particularly odd because it replays sequences that previously had an OP track insert and now goes with a much more appropriate mood piece.

Forgot mentioning that previously actually.

Is Erin as good as Moribito? I've wanted to watch it since I finished Moribito, but it is pretty damn long, lol.

Deadly

Fate Prisma Illya 3rei movie confirmed, covering the flashback arc.
Damn I didn't expect them to announce anything so soon, especially a movie. Is Prisma Illya actually really popular in Japan? Or is it just because it's Fate/Nasuverse? Flashback arc is gooood though too bad it'll take ages to see a subbed version.

Line_HTX

*sees All Out is confirmed for 25 episodes, sees new image

The guys in the front are fine I guess, but that design in the back looks awful.

I imagine the guy in the back will be doing a lot of the mauling and tackling.

Taruranto

*sees All Out is confirmed for 25 episodes, sees new image*

Honestly, this seems a pretty bad season to launch a new fujosport, there is a lot of competition.

SuperSah

Banned
FMA:B Ep 10

A pretty dark episode here and a really well made one too. The way they
killed off Hughs
was pretty strong and I felt so sorry for his family.

This is actually getting really good guys, I'm thoroughly enjoying this now.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
FMA:B Ep 10

A pretty dark episode here and a really well made one too. The way they
killed off Hughs
was pretty strong and I felt so sorry for his family.

This is actually getting really good guys, I'm thoroughly enjoying this now.
Good, the "hard" part is over.

Mandelbo

Time to gush

Hidamari Sketch x365 + specials

I managed to stretch watching this out for about half a year, but really, I've been delaying for far longer than that. The first series of Hidamari Sketch didn't rank all that highly with me - there were some memorable sequences, like Yuno's nightmare around the middle of the series, but my impression of the series as a whole was that it was quite dull, a bit too saccharine and I didn't get why everything was out of order. Not bad, just boring. For whatever reason I still adored the manga though, and I didn't quite understand why I could hold the anime in such low regard when the two covered almost exactly the same content, so I assumed it was just because the material didn't really work in animated form.

I should really have watched x365 earlier :p

sakuga5.gif

For some reason everything just clicked with this series, in no small part thanks to the bump in animation quality. Even though there's not really much happening at any given point in the show, the sheer style of the presentation and the camerawork meant my attention was almost always solely on the screen. I was genuinely surprised with how good the animation was for the most part, given how I don't think the first series stood out particularly in this regard.

Episode 12 I think is the best example of this. I also think it's one of the best episodes of anything I've seen in quite a long time. The care that went into the animation is astounding; look at this scene, for instance:

https://sakuga.yshi.org/data/39ee8177d59ccfa81e9fa072f646e49c.webm

Again, nothing's really happening here. Hiro's just eating angrily - but there are so many small details and nuances that make it more visually interesting and informative. The hints of sadness in her face, the movements of her hand, especially when cutting the omelette up, helps show that Hiro's more frustrated than anything else, both because she made Sae angry with her in the first place and that she doesn't understand what it was she even did wrong. The followup later on when the two make up is made far weightier in part because of this scene. Not only is the scene interesting to watch, it also helps you learn more about Hiro's character! This scene could've been done in a way that was easier and simpler without changing what's happening, but Shaft's execution changed what the scene tells us. I wonder what the show would've looked like had it been done by a different studio, like White Fox or Silver Link?

I don't have nearly as much to say about the music, but Hatena de Wasshoi has been one of my favourite OPs for years, despite having not seen the show until recently! I don't think it really fits the tone of the show as well as it could - it feels more bombastic and energetic than the show actually is - but that's really very nitpicky and doesn't detract from the fact that it's a joy to listen to and faaar too catchy for its own good. Ryuusei Record didn't grow on me as quickly, but as the show went on I came to like it more and more. The various background songs are all fantastic and mellow too, the vocals standing out particularly to me. If you put the songs on their own and asked me to tell you what anime they came from, I don't think I'd have any trouble!

x365 has above all made me want more Hidamari, which is good given that there are two more whole seasons of it and several more specials besides. I can't wait to see Nori and Nazuna in xHoshimittsu! I urge you to give this a watch, even if you've seen the first series and didn't think too highly of it!

I'm sure it's not quality, but from what I've gathered it should be at least watchable.

There's bad parts but there's some really good parts as well. That's actually what makes it particularly infuriating for me, because it's easy for me to see how strong Grimgar could potentially be if it didn't have the constraints of the source material and Toho's desire to make it a band promotional vehicle working against it.

Qurupeke

Oh sure if you like the bad parts of SAO.
Implying that SAO has good parts. :p
There's bad parts but there's some really good parts as well. That's actually what makes it particularly infuriating for me, because it's easy for me to see how strong Grimgar could potentially be if it didn't have the constraints of the source material and Toho's desire to make it a band promotional vehicle working against it.
Hmm, I can totally see that. There's definitely some questionable pandering, but overall my gut reaction is positive. It looks pretty and it has an interesting premise, so I think there's some merit in sticking with it.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Implying that SAO has good parts. :p

Hmm, I can totally see that. There's definitely some questionable pandering, but overall my gut reaction is positive. It looks pretty and it has an interesting premise, so I think there's some merit in sticking with it.
Well when you realize that the world building is worse than Berserk after the Millennium Arc, dont be afraid to tell me.

Ascheroth

Konosuba had the best scrubs and NPC's.

The difference being that I rooted for the scrubs in Konosuba, while I rooted for the Goblins in Grimgar :p

That said, my opinion on it is pretty much the same as hossanainexcelsis'. Some good stuff (and beautiful backgrounds) brought down by obnoxious LN-shit (and out-of-place insert songs, I guess.)

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 3rei!! 12

Seeing Saber Lily form Illya do work is always a treat.
Tanaka's arm being some massively overpowered weapon was certainly a surprise.
Glad this episode wasn't a finisher episode because there's certainly still a lot unanswered about how to save their world, what's up with Erica and various other things and people.

EDIT: Well fuck it was the finisher episode!!

Szadek

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 3rei!! 12

Seeing Saber Lily form Illya do work is always a treat.
Tanaka's arm being some massively overpowered weapon was certainly a surprise.
Glad this episode wasn't a finisher episode because there's certainly still a lot unanswered about how to save their world, what's up with Erica and various other things and people.

EDIT: Well fuck it was the finisher episode!!
Lol.
So... any words on this season as a whole?

Cornbread78

Endride ep.22

These two should have been shipped a long time ago, but alas, they are childhood friends, so it'll never happen. Some good adventure parts at the end, but why did they have to kill off the best character?

GBF TRY 1 REWATCH

Just from this one episode I remembered why I liked try so much. The characters are colorful, full of life and the dynamic between them are all so good. I smiled so many times. Sekai is such a cool character too, he really took the good pages from g gundam.

The Build Burning introduction is also soooo good with the mix of the amazing opening and dazzling animation.

Yep GBF TRY is really one of my favourite gundam show.

Jigen Haoh school! Shippu-Zuki!!!!

So good!

Cornbread78

Code Geass R2 ep.1
I was so fucking confused the entire episode until C.C. showed up at the end. Even then, they still didn't show what happened at the end of S1! Way to carry along that cliffhanger ya bastards!

I remember liking it a lot all the way through and it only getting better each episodes.

I guess different person, different taste.

It's so freaking disappointing the way TRY went.

I dropped the show around episode 8, because I heard it just kept getting worse and worse from friends who loved GBF S1. What kept me from really going back was the Tryon fight. I skipped ahead to watch that.

The victory in that "fight" was such contrived nonsense it felt like it should've come out of Fairy Tail.

It really, really hurts for me to hate on TRY like this because it LOVES its G Gundam references, which is my all time favourite Gundam show and has references to it around every corner. But everything else about the show is so bad that I can only feel this sad, pitiful emptiness inside me whenever I see the Build Burning Gundam.

Sunrise really messed this up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom