• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squishy3

Tonkatsu is on one of my shows to eventually watch, watched the first episode back when it started, and yeah I'll be voting for Rakugo

Line_HTX

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-967203/

Like they did for the current season, Crunchyroll is doing another live announcement rollout for their titles for the Fall season, tomorrow at 7pm PDT. Also, remember that their partnership with Funimation will take full effect starting with this season, so no more worrying which shows will end up on which service; this also means some of the shows will be getting broadcast dubs, though that's up to Funi to announce on their own time.

Actually, when you think about it, since combined they pretty much covered 99% of shows this season, is there really a point to this besides "here's what Amazon/Netflix don't have"?

They're both definitely trying to keep Amazon and Netflix at bay because of the brand recognition.

Yeah, this is probably my AOTY (With JoJo next in line). As in actual AOTY and not Puppets or videogames as good as they are. Reigen sells an almost overpowering sense of charisma. He's absurdly entertaining, a little crooked at times but he's got a good head on his shoulders and imparts his good senses where he can. He's incredibly well put together as a character.

There's a classic thematic battle between the Extraordinary and the Normal at play in this naturally, but I think I appreciate that it emphasized those themes more than One Punch Man did. There's more personal connection between the events at play than the monster of the Week situation on OPM (Though it was well executed there and the material from that point gets better) Mob takes the middle road of stating that what is extraordinary is Normal. And not acknowledging that would prevent us from growing as people. Mob himself is surprisingly mature, in spite of his flat emotional state. He still has fears and dislikes and desires which help him still feel human though and even young. This is in contrast to his Brother who has a much weaker mental fortitude in spite of projecting emotional maturity.

This goes without saying that the visuals are superb, almost every shot is filled with emotional energy and is excellent at connecting the characters to the visuals. Even Minor characters benefit tremendously from this. The visuals really help to tie everything together which helps when Mob leans more to the Dramatic side more than OPM did.

The weak part of the show was definitely Claw and that's more or less because I'm growing to dislike secret organizations wanting to take over the world. It's just really boring overall and shortsighted as a goal for a villain to really achieve. Thankfully, Reigen was there to knock some sense into almost everyone present and his role in the final episode is phenomenal.

Line_HTX

Food Wars 2nd Plate 12

That was the most fun episode I've watched thus far. Soma knows that he must go above and beyond to even begin to form his own special cooking, hence why he said he was lucky to be a part of Shinomiya's restaurant. I guess that asshole isn't a bad person after all. He simply got legit shook that someone challenged him to a Shokugeki to begin with, and he became a changed person. And Soma knows there's absolutely no time to even reflect and feel down, only know how to make the recipes and prep before anyone else. Sleeping in the staff couch gave him all the time in the world to clean and prep instead of walking to work, haha. I love episodes like this where he gets to go outside the norm and experience something different.

Qurupeke

Macross Delta [END]
EhCfc7j.png
It was a very nice ending, considering how stale the series had become, but as expected there's not conclusion for a lot of things. Like, what was Arad's point of existence? What did the merchant guy do other than infodumps? What about Lady M? And why Freyja got hypnotized back in episode 18? Of course, there's also Mirage that supposedly was a main character but she was nothing more than a supporting, C-rate character.

I think I enjoyed Macross Δ overall, the whole idol group thing worked surprisingly well and I think it had a better overall cast than Frontier, but the mostly boring second half, especially the episodes leading to the finale, dragged it down. It seems like they prioritized the song aspect of the Macross triad, the series had a lot of variety and some very good songs. However, the love triangle was a joke and a there was a prominent lack of action. Some good early stuff, 13, maaybe 18 and 26, as far as I remember.

I think this is the first Macross that the girl I wanted wins, so that's something though! I'm so glad they didn't kill Freyja.

I hope the movies can fix Δ's missteps and add some Frontier tier fights.

Eumi

"Hey, what if we expand upon the grey morality of our main cast to create an issue that it would hypocritical of our heroes to solve, and yet immoral for them to ignore."

"WAIT! What if we did that but bad?"

*Birdemic clapping scene*

Aki-at

Mob Psycho 100 - 12

Man what an incredible first half of a finale, Reigan using his
debating skills to save the day
was amazing, one of the most unique final battles ever. That being said the episode itself dropped a bit too much in the second half and even with all the time to spare, still felt like it was paced poorly? Overall a great series but the finale itself was slightly disappointing. Definitely a contender for anime of the year and one of the finest produced in the last decade... Which takes me too;

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable - 25

Amazing how many high quality shows we're seeing in such a short space of time. This series continues to impress and I love how we can go from one episode where Jotaro is about to be murdered but saved thanks to Koichi to being the one to figure out how to defeat Kira's figure. I don't think at this point Diamond is Unbreakable will be topped this year and I'll say this is probably my favourite JoJo season too.

Macross Delta - 26

I'll give the show props for hiding it's central antagonist well but as I thought, despite the action and contents of the episode, there is no immediate conclusion to what happens with Windermere vs everyone else, who is the merchant chap, what else is Lady M planning? And shouldn't Mikumo be locked up by the UN and studied further because they seem so happy to obliterate planets that detaining one woman won't be beyond their scope of villainy. So many questions left answered so whilst a good episode the finale leaves a lot of unanswered question.

And the better girl lost, but at the rate Windermerians age I guess she only has to wait 15 years.

Thunderbolt Fantasy - 12

Obligatory Shang is awesome don't fuck with him episode. Really interested to know if they'll reveal more of his backstory, I'll admit I was expecting him to be
the cursed demon reincarnated that was left behind in the human realm.

Macross Delta 26

Only Macross 2 is worst than this show now.
Fucking anime version of No Man's Sky.

And this scene pissed off me because they could spent a episode or half episode for her past with bunch of Jenius show up, but nope, let's write some shitty fanservice episode.

Macross Delta END

I can't believe the sarcastic ass reply I gave to Narag pretty much came true. What the fuck was Roid even trying to do? His plan seemed dumb as fuck because his own people weren't even down for it. Disappointing end to a disappointing series I can only hope in the movie that you fucking know is coming in a year or two fixes some shit.

Also fuck Freya!!!!

There's no doubt in my mind that Re:Zero will be somewhere in the collective top 10 on GAF. But this poll is going to be for Gaffers, not necessarily the general public. Re:Zero COULD very well be #1 if we were to gauge votes from outside the forums, but the ones voting here have more of a critical eye and will be voting for other stuff as their top shows. I doubt the show will be #1 here. I am expecting Mob Psycho to go on top tbh.

Deadly

Macross Delta 26
Don't even know where to start. Series had good potential, started uphill but went downhill faaaaaaaaaaast. We've had maybe 4 memorable dogfights? Seeing the sv-262 have a sword, that could have had so much potential for amazing fights. Last episode's music couldn't even compare to nyan nyan service medley. Although, I did enjoy the 2 OPs during the battle. Love triangle was just a sham this time.

You've got 3 staples to macross: music/idols, dogfights and a love triangle. Delta couldn't even get 2/3.

Obviously, there's going to be a movie where it's windermere strikes back.

Clov

Rakugo so far is still my #1 pick for AOTY, though I definitely will also be voting for Mob Psycho, JoJo's, and Tonkatsu DJ.

JoJo will be the anime of the year. Okada Gundam will be VERY closely behind it in 2nd largely due to the fact it is currently airing on Toonami. Mob Psycho and Re: Zero will be in the top five. Rakugo will be in the top ten but doesn't have enough broad appeal to even get close to number 1 due to Jojo and Gundam. Sound Euphonium will be in top 10 regardless of season 2's quality.

Not willing to call anymore than that cause we still got fall and who knows what show may surprise people.

jbug617

Banned
Sentai licensed Girls Und Panzer Film. Will also have a theatrical release
http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/news/sentai-filmworks-snaps-up-girls-und-panzer-der-film

HOUSTON, September 27, 2016 – Sentai Filmworks, a leading independent distributor of Japanese anime and pop culture programming, announced today that they have acquired extensive distribution rights to the highly acclaimed, record-breaking Japanese anime film, Girls und Panzer der Film, for North America, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and other territories. Sentai Filmworks will release additional information on Girls und Panzer der Film shortly, including distribution, release date, and streaming offerings.

“After seeing Girls und Panzer der Film last year, I knew we had to add this title to our already acclaimed library of movies. It’s one of the most exciting titles we’ve acquired this year,” said John Ledford, President of Sentai Filmworks. “Sometimes we choose films because they are critically acclaimed. Sometimes we pick films because they’re runaway hits. Girls und Panzer der Film is the perfect combination of both.”

During its recent Japanese theatrical run, Girls Und Panzer Der Film was ranked the highest-grossing movie of opening weekend and earned more than $21 million total at the Japanese box office. It is directed by Tsutomu Mizushima, the same director of the 2012-2013 Japanese TV anime series, Girls und Panzer, which was also extremely popular and well received. The film continues where the beloved anime series Girls und Panzer left off, which takes place in a society where humanity exists in cities built atop gigantic carrier ships. A sport called “tankery” is a popular staple activity among high school girls. The girls of the Oarai High School tankery team are in for a new challenge, as they work together to defeat rival schools in order to keep their school from being closed dow

Girls und Panzer der Film will kick off its multi-pronged campaign at this year’s AkibaFest, an anime fan festival in Little Tokyo, Los Angeles, from October 15-16. Fans can take pictures with Girls und Panzer der Film cosplayers, create shareable GIFs at a GIF booth, shop exclusive merchandise, and score free swag.

Where did Jojo end up last year? If it means not letting re:Zero win I'll watch and vote for that if mob psycho doesn't have a chance.

Nothing against re:Zero personally but I don't think it deserves top spot with the anime that aired this year.

Where did Jojo end up last year? If it means not letting re:Zero win I'll watch and vote for that if mob psycho doesn't have a chance.

Nothing against re:Zero personally but I don't think it deserves top spot with the anime that aired this year.
I don't think you need to go that far lol. Re:Zero won't be #1.

Weren't your votes for Mob or 91 Days anyway?

If Re:Zero entertained people more then Jojo and others, it surely deserve the top spot. Since anime is entertainement. Voting for something else just for it to lose seems stupid.

I personnally don't think its #1 but it was pretty good.

Also while I really liked Mob, I don't think it will be anywhere near the top of AOTY. Maybe between 5 and 10.

I don't think you need to go that far lol. Re:Zero won't be #1.

Weren't your votes for Mob or 91 Days anyway?

If Re:Zero entertained people more then Jojo and others, it surely deserve the top spot. Since anime is entertainement. Voting for something else just for it to lose seems stupid.

"voting for a third candidate is fine, you shouldn't vote against trump to win"

Voting strategically so a lesser of two evils wins is something we've done before where you still would have your favorite shows right after if necessary. I still would have mob psycho 100 first and foremost but if we entirely ran on a popularity contest then that doesn't entirely translate to the argument of quality. I've been meaning to watch Jojo as it looks gorgeous, I just haven't had the time.

Anime gaf secret illuminati.

Cornbread78

The fanbase of the series and source material is much larger for JoJo. Nothing else has a shot for #1 if the fanbase shows up to vote.

Re Zero will be up there, but I think a bigger battle will be between Mob Psycho and Erased for for the 2/3/4 spots.

Here's my $hitty prediction:

1: Jojo
2: Mob Psycho
3: Erased
4: ReZero
5: MHA*
6: Konosuba
7: Raguko
8: Gundam IBO
9: Eupho
10: Kiznaiver/Soma/Berserk*

*MHA may move all the way up to #2 or 3
*Berserk may move way up on these boards as well since for a lot of people, it might have been the only anime they watch this year (same as MHA).

I don't know where people would come to vote for erase that high up for. I remember the OT turning on the show by the second half. And folks freaking out when their ship got icebergd

Cornbread78

I don't know where people would come to vote for erase that high up for. I remember the OT turning on the show by the second half. And folks freaking out when their ship got icebergd

Nah, there were still a LOT of people that really liked the show and people still post in there periodically to praise it. The vocal negativity usually just likes to try to shout louder and turn down anyone trying to praise the show. It's just how it is, lol.

Clearly, if Rakugo doesn't win we need to pull the GAF Animexit.

well, tbf, nobody really watched it outside of core AnimeGAF members, even on MAL, it has less than 100k viewers, lol.

And then something else creeps up near the top like Kill la Kill causing more complaints.

Berserk, lol.

I can't wait to see the meltdowns when that creeps up near, or into, the top 5, lol.

I'm speaking for myself, but I don't think Erased is gonna go on my top 10. It's still there now, but in the Fall I already see a couple of shows that could very easily be added to my list. Erased will be the first to go.

If berserk wins its a more of a testament that the Manga fans are so starved for any adaptation they'll vote for absolutely anything berserk related.

I haven't even watched the show because it looked ugly, and I say that as someone who loved the films bad fps aside

Erased started very, very strong. But the second half of the show and its ending soured my experience as well. I feel like if I were to look at it in a different light, like direction, soundtrack and acting wise, the show would be up there. To me all of that is great, but I grade my stuff on a basis of entertainment. A show can be butt ugly and still be my #1 show, simply because I enjoyed watching it more than the other one.

Aki-at

Don't know what you're all complaining about. Kill la Kill made anime GREAT AGAIN!

As for this year I think I roughly know my top 5 but anything below that might be harder to judge;

1. JoJo
2. Mob Psycho 100
3. Tanaka kun
4. Grimgar
5. Erased

Still plenty of shows I've yet to finish like Flying Witch and Kuromukuro.

Think JoJo this season is stronger than its ever been, infact I'd be surprised to see it lose to re:Zero.

blurr

Now now, we still have another season. All this AotY discussion is too exciting.

Nice knowing that I watched/will watch most of the possible candidates which is enough of an achievement for me lol.

Personally, still rooting for Rakugo, MHA is on second. Mob has been the polar opposite of MHA, stellar production but less than impressive narrative(so far, should watch the final episode now).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom