• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibyea

Banned
I have been holed up playing Zero Time Dilemma the past two days. I was thinking that Uchikoshi's writing will probably fail to surprise me and in some ways, it did, but there were still plenty of surprises left and overall it's brilliant. I just wish they didn't botch the animation so thoroughly.

Jintor

I have been holed up playing Zero Time Dilemma the past two days. I was thinking that Uchikoshi's writing will probably fail to surprise me and in some ways, it did, but there were still plenty of surprises left and overall it's brilliant. I just wish they didn't botch the animation so thoroughly.

i wish they had leaned in 100% on the animatics

So it appears in 10 days you are supposed to laugh properly.

Would be great if Shaft does something for that special date.

tumblr_inline_o20ir1bkyswy.jpg

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Re Life Episodes 1 - 2

This is a really stupid premise lmao

I loved his first day in school and his interactions with the rest of the students though. Thought he was going to have a beer in his backpack lol.

Love the piano ost pieces.

I'm kind of jealous that some of you guys already finished this so I'm just making blind guesses here.

An the other transfer student seems to be another NEET experiment test subject. She is the only girl constantly shown with lipstick, has kind of a hair color pallette that I'd say skewed older, and did shitty on the tests like MC.

Hibari also seems like she was the failed test subject from last year briefly mentioned. While she is doing well in school her lack of making friends probably contributed to her NEET life when she was older and thus even though she is doing well in school now she is still continuing her path from before. That is if she is actually a test subject, because she seems to be way too much of a red herring right now.

ReLIFE 1 - 2

This wasn't bad, even though the art could be better, the OP was quite bad though.
It looks like he's gonna quit smoking, I don't remember it happened like that in the webtoon.

Berserk 1

This was a great episode. The series has been taken so far away from where it began that it's always funny when it ends up back on a tennis court. Of course this time the court turned out to be a flying aircraft carrier. My favourite gag was probably Nasuno's butler trying to serve dorayaki on the runway while the wind was picking up, but the jets being used in a land race because they couldn't fly and Marimo's cockpit having panties stretched over it were both up there as well. 8 seasons in and this was one of the series' strongest openings yet. May it continue forever.

Dennis

Banned
Berserk 1

This was a great episode. The series has been taken so far away from where it began that it's always funny when it ends up back on a tennis court. Of course this time the court turned out to be a flying aircraft carrier. My favourite gag was probably Nasuno's butler trying to serve dorayaki on the runway while the wind was picking up, but the jets being used in a land race because they couldn't fly and Marimo's cockpit having panties stretched over it were both up there as well. 8 seasons in and this was one of the series' strongest openings yet. May it continue forever.

Jeez, Berserk got weird.

John Blade

Welp, look like the next new show I will watch is Clannad. Will try to go through Golgo 13 and Mansion Ikkoku during this time but will push into Clannad. Let's see if this show is true to its hype or not. I still think my best romance anime I have watch for a while is still Emma A Victorian Romance.

Any idea why they decided to release all of reLIFE's episodes in one day?

First steps towards a future like Netflix releases in anime maybe? Less rushed production (mind you it could still get delayed here and there) with one major deadline rather than 11-13 of them weekly?

Maybe someone here actually knows the answer, but this is all I can come up with.

phaze

Star Driver 15

Local girl does everything wrong.
Star Driver 16
017632c8j0t.jpg
017652xvjzx.jpg

What a tweeeeest.

But no seriously, what a twist. Didn't see that coming at all. I'd complain about its courageousness but I guess they never really set any limits or rules pertaining the magical abilities and it was used pretty neatly for the denouement of the Mizuno arc.

With the above, first glimpses of Takuto's past, the high stakes and well animated duel, that for second time made me believe Takuto could actuallly loose, this ranks among the best episodes of the series so far.

Cornbread78

Welp, look like the next new show I will watch is Clannad. Will try to go through Golgo 13 and Mansion Ikkoku during this time but will push into Clannad. Let's see if this show is true to its hype or not. I still think my best romance anime I have watch for a while is still Emma A Victorian Romance.

Good deal. First season is much more of a school SoL/drama than anything, but When you get to After Story everything that happens carries over and has impact.

I'm interested in your reactions because overall, I found it a much better experience than Emma.

Qurupeke

Shinsekai Yori's 4th episode was an insane info dump but I was also pretty hooked at that point.

Pretty much. Tbh, I'm fine with getting answers quickly and it seems that the plot can now move, so I welcome 15 minutes of explaining (and reactions of disgust).

Jintor

OPM dub toonami promo - hrmmm can't say I'm a huge fan of the direction they went for Saitama's dub voice but I guess we'll see how it shapes up in full

Aki-at

OPM dub toonami promo - hrmmm can't say I'm a huge fan of the direction they went for Saitama's dub voice but I guess we'll see how it shapes up in full

His diffinitely bored but his voice was never monotone or expressionless in the original. More like a cherry person who's bored rather than an emotionless robot.

Still hyped and probably going to rematch the series.

Also new thread, nice op!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Joker Game end
It was okay. The episodic nature of it not really helping this series. stories range from good to mediocre. Storywise I don't think it bring anything new to the table, but at least it looks nice. I wish the wind agency stick longer since they are the rival D-agency needs to make things a lot more interesting.

ReLIFE 10-13

An overall "feels good" anime that could have delved into really creepy territories and didn't. The actual subject matter of age is actually dealt with pretty early on, with a very specific episode that shows our protagonist show decency. He is a good guy after all. This show is all about him trying to mend the problems around him, using his age and past experiences to lead the kids towards a better path. As he does this he realizes himself that he wasn't living a fulfilling life and making the same mistakes that the young ones are making now. ReLIFE gave him the chance to redo things and reLEARN to be a better person.

Also the ending has a reveal that I figured would happen. Still happy to see that it was what I thought since
Hichiru being subject 001 means that she's both finally living a more fulfilling reLIFE thanks to Kaizaki, AND that these two will DEFINITELY end up together by the end of the whole term.
Went online searching and from what I gathered this seemed to cover 108/133 chapters of the manga. So there won't be a Season 2 anytime soon, if ever.

Gonna go read the manga because this had me really interested, specially after the ending. 8/10

FOOD WARS S2 ep.1

It's only episode one but I can already see how rushed this will be. So many backstory elements were cut which made the kid and granny part lose almost all of their emotional impact for example. That is an adaptation way I'm not too fond of to be honest.

I'll continue watching since visually it's great fun and I like Soma and the the crew but has a manga reader I am really disappointed by everything that was skipped and will probably be skipped.

I'll try to stay positive since it's only episode 1.

Great opening btw.

Sakamoto-kun: End

You know it may have not been the best comedy of the season, but it was still a fairly enjoyable show. And even with the schtick of "everyone loves this guy and he's the coolest at everything", it never really became overbearing or tired. At least for me. Maybe others have less of a tolerance for this schtick than I do with say gag comedy. But every episode actually managed to find the right balance of screentime per 'arc'. I never felt something was stretched longer than it needed to.

And even with Sakamoto being the lead he and the focus/topic of 99% of arcs, the show was more about the character development of those around him. He's more of a Mad Max figure in that regard.

The ending came out of nowhere though. It almost seemed like the manga dude didn't feel like continuing so he simply wrote this to end this instead of just never continuing it. It wasn't a bad ending scene, it just felt.... cliched in the "and now I'm leaving". I guess the main thing of interest is that we don't really know why
Sakamoto truly left the school
and I assume we'll never know since the manga is over. This is one of those ambiguous ending mysteries that looked good on paper but just annoyed people in execution.

Cowboy Bebop did the ambiguous ending right. You didn't Sakamoto-kun.

Regardless, this is a solid 8/10 show. Is it worth watching? If you have it in your backlog yeah. It's not going to blow you away but it isn't bad like all of the garbage seasonal LN based anime.

Will it make my top 10 of the year? Doubtful, unless the rest of the season is absolutely weak.

I woke up and it turns out Berserk is still trash beyond compare

After reactions yesterday I might just wait until more episodes are out but it's disappointing to hear. Golden Age Arc films may have skipped material but they still told the large essence of the tale.

Line_HTX

Food Wars 2nd Plate 01

fa3N8Gq.png

Alice can appreciate the lowly pleb bentos a lot more if she ate some Dagashi Kashi! XD

I'm not a manga reader by any means and while I do like this episode for fun, I'm getting an uneasy feeling that it could get rushed as opposed to what it could be if it were 26 episodes. I doubt it will matter in the end, as I think the main points were conveyed well, and I thought the flashback was pretty sweet, even if it was a cheesy flashback.

Alice's way of molecular cooking is insane though.

FOOD WARS S2 ep.1

It's only episode one but I can already see how rushed this will be. So many backstory elements were cut which made the kid and granny part lose almost all of their emotional impact for example. That is an adaptation way I'm not too fond of to be honest.

I'll continue watching since visually it's great fun and I like Soma and the the crew but has a manga reader I am really disappointed by everything that was skipped and will probably be skipped.

Great opening btw.
It's also definitely possible that they're just skipped the kids and stuff so they could have a more exciting first episode. I'll wait before calling it rushed

Line_HTX

Don't hit the panic button and ruin the fun for those that didn't read please.

Gotta think of how to make the episode more fun, and besides, it's only the beginning.

gargles

ReLIFE

Whew. Nice way to start this season. They handled the age difference between Kaizuki and his collegues in a pleasant way, avoiding any creepy developments (episode
shows that, and even adds
Hishiro's own dillema. Her being Subject 001 was easily predictable, though
). The cast did its job, too. Likable characters and a competent protagonist. Kaizumi's interactions with Ryo were some of this show's best moments. An and Hishiro were also pretty good, especially the first one (
sure there's a trend here)
Despite that, I had some issues. The volleyball arc felt underwhelming. Could be the binge effects but it just didn't click. I could also talk about the soundtrack. Far from being weak, some tracks failed to accompany the overall scene atmosphere.

Since it's already available, I'd recommend it. Probably won't be this season's best show but quality was something it did have. 7 or 8/10... maybe 8? Won't start reading the manga (already checked the last available chapter, though) but I would sign up for a Season 2.

ReLIFE

Whew. Nice way to start this season. They handled the age difference between Kaizuki and his collegues in a pleasant way, avoiding any creepy developments (episode
). The cast did its job, too. Likable characters and a competent protagonist. Kaizumi's interactions with Ryo were some of this show's best moments. An and Hishiro were also pretty good, especially the first one (
Despite that, I had some issues. The volleyball arc felt underwhelming. Could be the binge effects but it just didn't click. I could also talk about the soundtrack. Far from being weak, some tracks failed to accompany the overall scene atmosphere.

Since it's already available, I'd recommend it. Probably won't be this season's best show but quality was something it did have. 7 or 8/10... maybe 8? Won't start reading the manga (already checked the last available chapter, though) but I would sign up for a Season 2.

Yeah the volleyball arc. I mentioned it in my previous post to the last one, but I too had problems with it. The first and second episode of it just did nothing for me. The last one was great, but that was because Kaizuki intervened.

ReLIFE

Interesting, didn't expect them to adapt quite that far for 13 episodes (there is some fluff I could see them cut-off to make it work). Also yeah, the Vollyball arc was not great even in the manga, probably more frustrating to watch animated. Welp time to slowly grind though this throughout the week.

Moaradin

FOOD WARS S2 ep.1

Great opening btw.

Did they skip that daycare chapter after the preliminaries? First Table Tennis and now this. J.C Staff hates Megumi confirmed.

Awesome job on the OT BGBW!

Food Wars S2 E1

Well this episode felt like the show runners decided to treat the season break like it had never happened. It's interesting to read the comments about how the relationship with the kids and old woman were deeper in the manga but as someone who hasn't read it I didn't really feel the loss. The caring relationship with 'Granny' was illustrated perfectly with the soya sauce design and the nice reaction shot afterward. I'm sure the kids probably had more to offer but they served their narrative purpose in giving him an excuse to use molecular gastronomy techniques without having to admit to anything so icky as 'book lurnin'.

The fantasy shots as people experience the amazing flavours are still fun and spectacular, the only sour note for me was the return of Erina, so damn tsundere it's bloody tedious. I hope we wind up focusing more on the food than on whatever tired nonsense she's got going on.

I kinda liked the Berserk episode.

I'm kinda in the same boat, the CG seemed sub KoS but not too awful and the
death of the girl
seemed a little EdgeLord but it might prove to be OK? Will give it a few more anyway, hell even if I give it up I shall enjoy the reaction posts from manga fans :)

John Blade

Good deal. First season is much more of a school SoL/drama than anything, but When you get to After Story everything that happens carries over and has impact.

I'm interested in your reactions because overall, I found it a much better experience than Emma.

I hope it's a better show from what people is saying. Still, the hype is a bit too much as they're other anime which does it better but no one will discuss about it. As for it's better than Emma, that will be hard as Emma is a bit of a different style of story telling and development. Think of it like Service X Servant where it's more target toward older audience than younger one. From what I see, Clannad look like those typical teen show which get better in 2nd season as they push a bit on the mature side of thing......this is me predicting from people discuss a bit of the show and how great the show is.

Doesn't matter to me as I will just go in with minimum expectation so, it won't disappointed me unless it's like Grantz where 1st season is actually decent while the 2nd season just 180 degree turn from great show to a shitty show fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom