• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samurai Flamenco 9

This sure is... something. Feels like it's trying to make some meta-commentary on tokusatsu, especially with all the lampshading of throwaway monsters-of-the-week and faceless mooks, but I'm not quite sure what it really wants to say at this point.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Love Live Sunshine - 1

YOU WA SHOCK!

cSFgXbI.png

Interesting that unlike Cinderella Girls this makes full reference to the original cast. So much so we even get to see old footage of them (recycling footage already!?).

Hopefully the student council president plot isn't dragged out too long. We already had that with the original and when you know from the get go they're going to join the group there isn't really any suspense to the situation.

The high energy and expressive faces from the original is back and this time we get a nice preview of the rest of the girls before they really come into the story. The original Love Live had them in the background, but you don't really learn much about them and it's more of a neat thing to notice upon repeat viewing.

I do find it odd that one character is a transfer student from Otonokizaka High School, the school the original is set in, and yet had never heard of μ's. I mean, they were winners of the second Love Live and it seemed pretty much everyone at that school knew them. I guess it'll be explained later. Though she did seem completely unfazed by a picture of them wearing her school uniform.

However, all in all, a promising start.

gargles

Yeah the volleyball arc. I mentioned it in my previous post to the last one, but I too had problems with it. The first and second episode of it just did nothing for me. The last one was great, but that was because Kaizuki intervened.

My thoughts exactly (although I've just considered it good). Not that Kariu and Honoka's problems were uninteresting but compared to the first episodes and most Kaizuki-centric events, it felt disappointing. Luckily, the following episode returned the series to its best, with
a lot of Kaizumi's backstory and with those great conversations with Ryo

Interesting, didn't expect them to adapt quite that far for 13 episodes (there is some fluff I could see them cut-off to make it work). Also yeah, the Vollyball arc was not great even in the manga, probably more frustrating to watch animated. Welp time to slowly grind though this throughout the week.

They've stopped on chapter
. Don't know hom much they had to cut although I've read one example of that happening:
Kaizumi asking Ryo and An if they were dating after the volleyball arc
. Does sound rushed but I didn't have much problems with the pacing. And it does make sense finishing on that note.
Hishino being Subject 001 was hinted since episode 5
. This "season" had to finish with that confirmation.

Gvitor

Soma 2x01

Did I watch this in 2x speed or something? My god, the pacing was crazy fast. They changed shots a bunch of times during one sentence, characters are talking quickly, wasting no time. Even so, I liked it. Maybe we'll get the next arc within 13 episodes, after all.

Didn't like the OP though. Kibou no Uta still king, but the second one grew one me. It's early, but I don't see this one having the same fate.

Also, this has to be the 1st episode that least looks like a 1st episode. It's like it never went on break, because they didn't recap shit and went right back into the duels.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hatsukoi Monster Episode 1

::Watches the first five minutes:: Well, this seems like a fairly standard shoujo romance series.

::does research on Wikipedia::

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?! Nope, nope, nope, so much nope! I am gone like the wind from this series.

Line_HTX

Soma 2x01

Did I watch this in 2x speed or something? My god, the pacing was crazy fast. They changed shots a bunch of times during one sentence, characters are talking quickly, wasting no time. Even so, I liked it. Maybe we'll get the next arc within 13 episodes, after all.

Didn't like the OP though. Kibou no Uta still king, but the second one grew one me. It's early, but I don't see this one having the same fate.

Also, this has to be the 1st episode that least looks like a 1st episode. It's like it never went on break, because they didn't recap shit and went right back into the duels.

I wish the unaired episode would get released before 2nd Plate began. I mean, this is when everyone is on summer break before the actual Autumn Top 8 began, right?

Gvitor

I wish the unaired episode would get released before 2nd Plate began. I mean, this is when everyone is on summer break before the actual Autumn Top 8 began, right?

What, there's an unaired episode? Didn't know that. Yes, there's a quick break before the TOP 8 duels, but it's one chapter long only. Conversely, this episode covered 5 chapters. Not the entirety of those 5 chapters, but still.

Defuser

I can't seem to get into idol shows. I guess all the singing,dancing just doesn't appeal to me and I always skip those sections.

Ascheroth

Soma S2 #1

It's back as if it were never gone.

Seeing everyone standing on their flying knifes and battling it out, with Hayama firing his lasers and all that did invoke endgame-feelings and we're only starting! They also teased Somas Over-Chef mode already, it looks like they'll really be covering a lot of ground in those 13 episodes.

*Shokugeki no Soma is a cooking anime!

Line_HTX

What, there's an unaired episode? Didn't know that. Yes, there's a quick break before the TOP 8 duels, but it's one chapter long only. Conversely, this episode covered 5 chapters. Not the entirety of those 5 chapters, but still.

It's supposed to come out on Monday bundled with Vol. 19 of the BD's if I got that right.

Exalted

Soma S2 episode 1

I really missed this show and its foodgasms, glad it's back.They wasted no time and went straight ahead with the tournament, and with the Alice vs Soma duel, loved the banther between them. Suprisingly the animation quality looked even better than in season 1.

Eumi

Wait, so, I'm like vaguely aware of Love Live being a rhythm game, but did they just 'The Next Generation' it?

I'm still so confused to what this is. I assumed I'd hate it mostly so I didn't have to learn what it was.

Szadek

Berserk( the good one) - Ep. 2
As recommended , I skipped episode 1 and started with this epiosde.
Besides the lackluster animation, that was a good start.
It certainly did a a good job at getting me interested without being boring,which is very important at the start of the series.
The music near the end was pretty good,too.

PK Gaming

Love Live Sunshine 1

Before I really dig into this episode, I'd like to stress that this anime is gorgeous as fuck. Art and animation are top class, and the visual direction is masterful. It's rare for an anime to excel at all 3, but Sunshine somehow manages to effortlessly pull it off. It's really charming experience too, filled with fun gags, comedy and stylish cutaways. It's obvious that the people behind this anime are pros, and they've strived to significantly improve everything from a technical standpoint. Nowhere is that more apparent in the OP and ending dance; the CG is sooooooooooooo much better. It definitely isn't perfect, but it doesn't elicit a negative response like with before.

Anyway, the episode itself was pretty solid. For better of for worse,
Love Live Sunshine does not make a clean break from the original anime, so there are heaps of references. From the overt stuff like Chika's similarity to Honoka and Dia being a student council president, to Muse actually appearing in the episode, it's obvious they want the original Love Live to be somewhat of a factor in this show. Whether that ends up paying off for them or not remains to be seen. Personally, i'm feeling confident that they'll be able to do something great with that. Like the previous anime, the episode moves at a pretty fast pace, but I feel like Sunshine takes more time in setting up the world. You get a better sense of what their town is like in the first episode, and you get a good look of the main cast. In particular, I really liked the introduction for the 1st years, and while Dia leans a bit too close to Antagonist!Eli, she's distinctly goofier. I imagine she'll probably join up sooner as well, and i'm confident she'll be among the better characters. If I had to voice my disappoints with the episode, I don't think Chika's character is particularly compelling. She's absolutely likeable, but I wasn't grabbed by her desire to go beyond being normal with idol stuff. That, and the fact that Mari was completely robbed are pretty much my only issues with the episode.

Overall, the episode does a good job of making the viewer feel confident about the upcoming episodes. I never thought i'd say this, but I want Love Live Sunshine to completely eclipse the original anime. Hell, I want Aquours to completely surpass Muse too. And you know what?

It might happen.

Line_HTX

Soma S2 episode 1

I really missed this show and its foodgasms, glad it's back.They wasted no time and went straight ahead with the tournament, and with the Alice vs Soma duel, loved the banther between them. Suprisingly the animation quality looked even better than in season 1.

v2O6rSj.jpg

I don't know why, but Alice makes the most hilarious face when it's not showing her albino bright red eyes. Those red eyes can be pretty menacing.

Shirobako 5

How does Tarou still have a job?! He is nearly incompetent at his work and he ticks off everyone around him, which is just about the worst quality a production assistant could have.

pbayne

Love Live Sunshine 1

Energetic very promising start. A bit too much leaning on the nostalgia of the previous series but they quickly differentiated the characters from the Muse girls, they definitely aren't the carbon copies i feared they would be.

Scuba girl not in school is the most intriguing so far.
Was Chika suffering from an illness or something-that scene where she was watching her class struck me as something like that?
The first years look to be comic relief mostly. That alien girl was striking some JoJo poses so she's cool.
Probably the most similar aspect was another stuffy school council president but even she isn't really similar to Eli. For one the show did make fun of her at several points like when she hurt her hand and she definitely seems more petty and quick to anger than Eli was.
Transfer student not knowing who Muse are is really strange-probably lieing.

Wait, so, I'm like vaguely aware of Love Live being a rhythm game, but did they just 'The Next Generation' it?

I'm still so confused to what this is. I assumed I'd hate it mostly so I didn't have to learn what it was.

Yeah, you could call it a New Generations

Shirobako 5

How does Tarou still have a job?! He is nearly incompetent at his work and he ticks off everyone around him, which is just about the worst quality a production assistant could have.

Every office has a Tarou, even if you fire one another will take its place. Sometimes its best to keep you're Tarou to avoid getting a even worse one.

Exalted

Rewrite 1

I thought Cornbread said this was supposed to be good, i was lied to. :p

What a strange show, it was jumping between character interactions and locations constantly, making it hard to understand what this show or it's plot is about. Also the animation is also as cheap as it gets for this type of shows.
Will put on hold for now.

Also really dislike the character style they used in this show, not a fan of those huge bug eyes, also for some reason alll the girls in the school are dressed like they are about to go on stage on a concert

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Can't wait for Mob. I didn't read the webcomic but if it's as good as OPM I'll probably start reading it after a couple of anime episodes.

Is there anything else that's good? Everything else seems like moe shit.

Incidentally, I just watched a few episodes of The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi. I really liked it in my initial watch (a whole decade ago, phew!), though I've rewatched it since then and read the light novels. I watched the first six episodes, this time chronologically (broadcast order is way superior).

I wish there was a way to separate the dumb moe crap from the more scifi/teen-angst portions of it, I might enjoy it almost as much as I did back when (it was one of my favourite when I first watched it, but I was 14). Luckily it's proto-moe so it's not totally horrifying to watch, and I could almost imagine myself trying to make other normal human beings watch it. I also really liked the Disappearance movie when it came out and I watch it nearly yearly since.

What do you folks think about it, in retrospect?
I see a lot of things in it that were used in lots of anime today, which at the time seemed super fresh and original. Even Kyon as a protagonist was fairly unique in an Arthur Dent kind of way, but it seems he's been replicated a lot since (or I've simply missed out on things before the series).

I find it kinda odd that it was never continued, neither in animation form nor in light novel form (last I checked, it's been forever since the last one came out). I remember it being super-popular when it came out.

Cornbread78

Rewrite 1

I thought Cornbread said this was supposed to be good, i was lied to. :p

What a strange show, it was jumping between character interactions and locations constantly, making it hard to understand what this show or it's plot is about. Also the animation is also as cheap as it gets for this type of shows.
Will put on hold for now.

Also really dislike the character style they used in this show, not a fan of those huge bug eyes, also for some reason alll the girls in the school are dressed like they are about to go on stage on a concert

I said the VN was really good! I can't vouch for an unaired anime, lol.

I'm hoping it turns out really good, but they did basically cut it down to 14 episodes to follow a new 6th route...

I put some of the VN rankings in the OT, but yeah, the VN is very highly regarded..

blurr

I've adored Haruhi since I first watched it - relateable cast and interesting scifi elements. The Disappearance movie is one of my favorites as well, I enjoy rewatching some scenes from time to time. The TV show felt crazy(the good kind) and Haruhi had a very interesting personality, Kyon kept things grounded while also adding to the humor. Worth noting that I was relatively new to the medium when I watched it. I still think I can do a rewatch but other shows/movies have replaced it as my favorites so far.

Shirobako 5

Haha yea, I think he is just a comical relief or at times his idiocy and ignorance works as plot device to create drama.

Chihayafuru 3 (Rewatch)

I still love the one transition where Chihaya tears away the screen featuring Taichi and Arata. It's such a clever visual metaphor for Chihaya's anger towards them for leaving her behind.

Every office has a Tarou, even if you fire one another will take its place. Sometimes its best to keep you're Tarou to avoid getting a even worse one.

True, Tarous are in more places than I'd like to believe.

Eumi

Oh.

Holy hell.

That was a thing. I thought now'd be a great time to watch this since the second season's started but oh my god that was fun.

Hope it can keep this up, I could use something this wacky right now.

Hatsukoi Monster 1
I went into this not knowing anything other than it was a shoujo romance and was not prepared for this creepy premise of a highschool girl dating a 5th grader. And I don't think I can get past it.

Wanderer5

Rewrite #1

Meh didn't feel that much interesting to be honest nor am I a fan of the character designs much. Only scene I liked were when
Kotarou and Kotori investigate the witch place and turn on the horror sound effects.XD

Don't think I will bother continuing, through I only had some slight interests for it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom