• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSMrRound

Shokugeki no Soma Second Plate ep 1

It's one of my favourite chapter from the manga. While it serves its purpose, it's quite obviously that it's being rushed quite a bit. Excited for
some ORA action next week

Pretty bumped that the opening (manga spoilers warning)
pretty much tells you who's fighting who and what the potential final face-off might be
. Heck, I don't know I can recall it from my memory but the reveal that Souma was going to go against ___ wasn't even properly handled. (Was it even shown as a teaser at the last episode of season 1?)

Love Live Sunshine

It's decent. Dancing still have that weird 3DCG thing they got going on, but kinda glad it seems like there's a bit more animated cuts now.

As for the cast...eh. Still not feeling it yet.

Maki is still best Love Live girl.

I really enjoyed ReLIFE. I'm pretty sure there's going to be a second season, but it's well done. I'm also happy that they decided to release it a la Netflix/Amazon (all at once). I hope more shows/companies do that.

blurr

Surprised to see so much postive reactions to ReLIFE - I'll wait until it airs a few more episodes. Only have Mob Psycho in mind, thought about New Game but the more pictures/visuals I see, the more I'm losing interest.

Ascheroth

Oh.

Holy hell.

That was a thing. I thought now'd be a great time to watch this since the second season's started but oh my god that was fun.

Hope it can keep this up, I could use something this wacky right now.
Not only does it keep it up, it gets better.
Have fun!

Clov

It doesn't seem like Pony Canyon announced anything interesting at their AX panel. I think they said that they might show a trailer for Euphonium S2 at some point later.

It's making me really reconsider picking up those Euphonium S1 BDs. Pony Canyon doesn't strike me as doing so well right now, and I don't feel like they're going to be in the market much longer. As a Canadian, it would be awfully expensive to pick up all those volumes, since our dollar is terrible and no Canadian websites are selling them. Given Euphonium's popularity, it seems likely that it would be licensed again within a few years if Pony Canyon USA went under. Really not sure what to do here; maybe if I can find the BDs at a con for a decent price I'll start collecting them.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Rewrite Episode 1:

Well, it didn't creep me the fuck out so it is by default not the worst episode of a show watch this season but this was pretty not good and I think I shall pass on the watching of more episodes.

Man, all the stuff I'm interested in doesn't start till next week basically.

I guess Arslan is starting tomorrow tho. Here's hoping that new CG director knows his stuff, because the first series....

s1_W6_Bs_K.jpg

Clov

It looks like Sentai's panel is coming to a close at AX, and they have announced... that they're dubbing some things. No new titles! There's still the Q&A, but I'm not expecting anything out of that.

zulux21

Oh.

Holy hell.

That was a thing. I thought now'd be a great time to watch this since the second season's started but oh my god that was fun.

Hope it can keep this up, I could use something this wacky right now.

If you enjoyed the first episode no doubt you will continue to love the show, the first few episodes of the series are by far the worst.

Clov

is discotek not at AX? why even bother holding it if so

They were at a different con earlier, where they announced a bunch of titles. I wish they were at AX to announce even more, personally.

Somebody asked about Hyouka at Sentai's panel! Here's what they had to say:

12:11:12 <bay|AX|Sentai> Q: Can you guys pick up Hyokka?
12:11:18 <bay|AX|Sentai> A: We like it when people suggest to license
12:11:27 <bay|AX|Sentai> we can take the feedback back

Sounds like no progress on that front.

I really enjoyed ReLIFE. I'm pretty sure there's going to be a second season, but it's well done. I'm also happy that they decided to release it a la Netflix/Amazon (all at once). I hope more shows/companies do that.

Having read ahead up to the latest chapter, it's actually pretty damn good. The anime left off at a good point, but two to three chapters later in the manga, from where the anime finale left off
Hishiro starts putting things together about how Kaizuki too is a subject.
Of course there are implications about that, but that plot alone has me hooked. I also appreciate that the manga is coloured, and the designs are basically the exact same as the anime and the adaptation was faithful enough that all plot from the past referenced in the manga, were shown in the anime.

ReWrite 01

The 3rd show in the "Year of Re". The other two (ReLIFE and ReZero) were pretty good, so I went into this hoping that it would be good. And obviously not because of the name, but because of the VN apparently being pretty well regarded in general. Designs are Key through and through. At the start I was a little lost, the intro monologue made it sound like we had seen multiple routes already, and the character was just about to do things from the beginning once more.But then things got really... confusing? I stopped about halfway through, it lost my interest. The tone of the show was bouncing all over the place from serious, to weird, to funny, to silly... Maybe I'll pick it up later on based on others' impressions, but as of now, this gets a nope from me.

duckroll

Kuromukuro - Episode 10-12

I knew the hostage surrender thing was a ruse. It was so obvious. Still, the guy is so much more devious than expected. I guess these "aliens" don't fuck around. I'm not buying the "altered memories" stuff though. If anything, it seems more obvious that they probably took human vessels and changed them into whatever they are now.

The sword fight was really cool, and it's nice that the show keeps switching between mecha battles and human battles, because Ken is really cool when he uses his blade in person. The training arc ep was pretty funny, and I'm glad they've reached a point where they trust Ken now.

Just what I needed to take my mind off Overwatch salt.

e_i

Sentai will be dubbing eight upcoming anime:

Is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeon?
Food Wars
Ushio and Tora
Himouto! Umaru-chan
Monster Musume
GATE
Amagi
???

Aki-at

Kababeri: Prophetic vision of post-Brexit UK - END

The episode did well to try and build up the action for the inevitable Ikoma and Biba fight. Everything falling into chaos, Kurusu and Ikoma tagteaming and the latter developing some random psychic powers I was expecting some over the top madness for the final fight and it completely... Failed. What we were left with is a more or less regular fight that was pretty one sided with Biba only getting the upperhand because of Ikoma's degeneration leaving with an anticlimactic finale. Considering how the show had recently pulled out superpowers from its backside I was hoping some super saiyan level of madness :(

So with most of society ruined and with the
remnants of Biba's cartoonish villains being absorbed and forgiven for some reason,
doesn't leave the living characters in a good situation either. I also felt the final scene itself just sort of ended abruptly. In the end, a good OST, some nice shots throughout, cool characters but never fully commits enough to it's own insanity with an anti-climatic end. 6/10

On the flipside, a week ago I wouldn't have thought a plan like Biba's would be realistic, now I'm certain he'd be a hit with the English electorate. Perfect Prime Minister candidate, sign him up Dave.

Monster Strike 29 - 30
CmYhg9FWAAABzAC.jpg:small

The search for Haruma is on but they have finally reached battling his friends. Napolean fight is the best so far as the whole thing turned into a massive battlefield with the whole enemy lines and all. The golem even, wow.

I find it kinda odd that it was never continued, neither in animation form nor in light novel form (last I checked, it's been forever since the last one came out). I remember it being super-popular when it came out.

Guy who's writing it got writer's block or just lost interest or something.

Soma S2 01

WOW at this pace lol. I haven't read the manga, but they literally did what used to be 3 entire episodes in 24 minutes. The setup for the event, was basically just that quick exchange at the very start and that's it, we are back at the tournament. We got to see both sides battling each other in one week, instead of how it was done in S1, having each person cook each week and then get a verdict afterwards. The reactions were as great as ever, they just didn't waste too much time in the preparation of the food. So what we miss in exposition, we receive in a satisfying end in which we are shown the battle and its results all in one episode.

Really happy to have Soma back.

T-Rex.

Banned
Soma S2 - 1
Alice channeling the spirit of England and getting bodied after making it past the group stages, noooooo. Crazy pacing this episode, but I'm glad it's back. It's so much fun.

Clov

Oh my God, why can't Food Wars, Dungeon, and GATE go to someone else... Like AniplexUSA...

Sentai is the revival of those ADV 90s dubs.

>:T

Aniplex USA generally won't handle anything that Aniplex Japan doesn't have the international rights to.

Qurupeke

Dagashi Kashi Shokugeki No Soma S2 1
Alice is out already. She obviously should have been in the finals. What a travesty. At least I hope she'll grace us with her presence on the audience.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I was actually touched a little by Second Dish Ep 1.

Dat tiny Alice.

Eumi

This feels vaguely One Punch Man-ish. As in, yukihira is OP but no one believes him. Although probably not to the same ludicrous degree.

Needs more muscled men though. There've been a few so far but they need to capitalise on it.

Ascheroth

This feels vaguely One Punch Man-ish. As in, yukihira is OP but no one believes him. Although probably not to the same ludicrous degree.

Needs more muscled men though. There've been a few so far but they need to capitalise on it.

Don't worry.

Meesh

Love these BGBW anime threads, subbed!

Does anyone know if there's any plans for a One Punch Man NA release? I enjoyed that series way more than I thought I would, I mean the guys invincible so where's the character development through antagonist forces, right? Wrong!! Somehow they've managed to keep me interested in his severely broken personality lol. Anyways, well done.

Also just picked up the English dub of Parasyte, to my surprise I'm completely satisfied with the cast, usually I'm pretty critical when it comes to the dubs...but the acting and choice of voices for characters felt pretty spot on :)

Noirulus

Kiznaiver - ep 01 - 05

+ Artstyle/animation is suhweet.
+ Character designs are great
+ Love the OP
+ Kamina's been reincarnated.. FeelsGoodMan

- Plot is cool in theory but there's just nothing interesting watching it unfold
- Characters are just typical anime archetypes
- Kinda reminds me of of a more light-hearted AnoHana

loltrigger

The Red Turtle

For those interested in this movie, I'd strongly recommend watching Father and Daughter, a short animation by the same director first. While they're not completely the same thing, I still think that you'll enjoy the general vibe of the Red Turtle if you like the short.

A plethora of super attractive backgrounds and the sense of adventure that a whole island to explore provides, gives The Red Turtle a very strong start. Even though the movie lacks any sort of dialogue, it's still easy to relate to the frustration of the main character when one of his plans fails, which seems to be a trademark of the director at this point.

While it might not look like it on a first glance, I do think that the movie is accessible to everyone. The antics of a group of cute crabs and some varied dream sequences keep a film that's mostly focussed on ambience fresh and even got some laughs out of me and the six other people who showed up. It caught me of guard since I didn't expect the movie having scenes like this, but I think that those sequences and the technical prowess of the production were my favourite aspects of the Red Turtle.

The movie runs out of steam in the latter half though. It's on odd thing to say, but the production is consistent to a fault. Don't get me wrong, it looks beautiful. But after you get used to it the novelty starts to run off.

The emotional moments at the end also didn't really do much for me.
The focus of the movie shifts away from escaping the island and we’re shown some events of the life of the protagonist.
Some events are comically overblown but still have no real impact to the cast while other scenes are more emotional, but require an attachment to the cast which unfortunately wasn’t there for me.

All in all, the movie was decent. While it never tops the initial scenes even the second half still had some good moments. I think I like The Monk and The Fish the most when I compare all the works of the director I’ve seen though.

----------

Also,
The turtle bullying was kinda rough, she kinda deserved it but man, the protagonist went all out with trying to give that animal a bad time.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Love Live Sunshine 01
Is there a reason they can't hire good VA talent on a project as big as this? Combined with the lousy character design it just makes the cast feel really weak...

PK Gaming

Love Live Sunshine 01
Is there a reason they can't hire good VA talent on a project as big as this? Combined with the lousy character design it just makes the cast feel really weak...

All of the voice actors are performers as well, so it's not like they can get top tier actors.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
All of the voice actors are performers as well, so it's not like they can get top tier actors.
It's not like they need huge names but these are literal nobodies and some of them clearly have no capacity for acting.

Cardfight!! Vanguard G: STRIDE Gate Episode 31 (engdub)
CmYs35iXYAAUMxI.jpg:small
CmYrz5RW8AEMJ1h.jpg:small

Taiyou as Sunrise Ray Knight, Gurguit was the best. This was a cardfight I was looking forward to as we could finally put two similar characters together and see how Taiyou grew over time.
Im glad he beat Hiroki but I wonder if they will get a third match. Hiroki is bound to be permanently bitter over Taiyou. It could be possible if everyone in Company gets a powerup once they finish their task

Clov

How does Kabanari's rights even work in the west? Amazon has streaming rights to the show, but anyone, including another streaming service, can have the manufacturing rights to it?

Streaming and home video rights can be handled separately. Either that, or Crunchyroll sublicensed the series from Amazon.

DAYS Episode 1

The main character's design is annoying with his constant stupid fucking blush stickers. It looks like his family has them too, so they're genetic? Not to mention he has an annoying voice, coupled with the show's really bleh humor.

Granted, I'm not really into sports anime. Maybe this will resonate more with other people, but this first episode, basically checked off a lot of the things I don't like about sports anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom