• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Mr. Ando of the Woods
JC7JUarl.png
I couldn't remember why I'd put this off for so long until I, too, realized I was no match for Mr. Ando.

duckroll

Made in Abyss - Episode 2

The OP and ED are both very nice and fit the aesthetics of the show perfectly. The production values continue to be really good and I love the detail in the backgrounds. The music is sogood.gif. Story's getting a little more interesting but I guess they're in no hurry to go anywhere fast. I wonder if they have multiple seasons planned or if the story just isn't very big? When does the EOing actually begin? Fun show so far. Hope it doesn't get bad.

petran79

Banned
I'm worried that apparently he seems to be leaning more on the Real Robot spectrum rather than the Super Robot spectrum.

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam - 31

The kids are the real heroes in this episode.

If they hadn't been hiding in the shower, Kamille and Fa wouldn't have gone out to look for them, and Kamille wouldn't have spotted Sarah and discovered the time bomb.

He didnt discover it. Sarah herself told him. Hero is therefore the ice cream man.

Line_HTX

Fucking crushed. Taneda makes Erina period. The timing was kind of pushing it and I'm glad both the production and her agency talked it over.

It's going to be super difficult not hearing Taneda's Erina for the most important season.

That sucks for the sick VA and I wish her a speedy recovery, but can they just get rid of Erina altogether for the time being?

Two can play this game by me saying the same words or worse about Tom, and besides, you can't change what's already set in the manga anyhow, so you can stop right there.

moogs

Neo Member
Gamers! 04

An opposing point of view about gaming goals leads Tendou to reflect on her club and hobby. I've begun to notice a problem with the way that Tendou views Amano that hopefully turns around. She's taken an interest in him for being particularly meek. That kind of reinforcement of low self-esteem is disappointing but not unexpected. What follows between the two seems separate from the rest of the show, which makes for a lopsided split in content. On the one hand, there's this train wreck of a one-sided infatuation—mission impossible by the medium's standards—and on the other hand, there's the more organic web of misfits carving each other's persona. Tendou's antics bleed into the other half of the narrative, but she will hopefully be absorbed into it soon enough.

Dispelling initial impressions of character has surfaced as the primary vehicle of introducing complexity to the cast, and it's gradually edging into manipulative territory. Hopefully the writer isn't a one-trick pony. Yet, Tendou seems slightly different as a character. Created with the purpose to serve as an obstacle and a sandbag, she is in contrast to the more natural characters. I do believe the strength of the narrative lies in those other characters; however, demolishing Tendou's charisma is clearly a driving force for the show's humor. But that's not to say I disapprove; I just prefer what else the show has to offer. Amano was able to see his new friend, Uehara, as something more than just filler for multiplayer, so there's a chance he will eventually be able to see Tendou for who she is and not just what she represents.

Escaflowne 1

God damnit, another fuckin' Isekai.

And what the hell, those noses!

Before anyone says it, I've watched more 90s anime, this isn't my first one, and they usually didn't have these noses.

Some nice animation with people running, etc.

dickroach

I started watching Gundam Wing. watched the first 3 subbed and the 4th one dubbed.... i think i'm gonna stick with sub. cool show. dunno why it never clicked with me when it was on Toonami way back when

Cornbread78

S3 is Erina's season seriously.

Really bad news for the anime production...

Two can play this game by me saying the same words or worse about Tom, and besides, you can't change what's already set in the manga anyhow, so you can stop right there.

Don't get you RL peeps and yout anime characters twisted.

Erina sucks and her asst. is better...

Erina needs to get chopped down a peg already..

Is this the "bad" arc or the next one?

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Not enough harem.

There is the bit where the hero suddenly outwits his opponent with some hidden ability previously unknown to the inhabitants of that land (in this case a gun). He might as well do that thing where he adjusts his glasses and the light reflects off them just before he does it.

Really bad news for the anime production...

Don't get you RL peeps and yout anime characters twisted.

Erina sucks and her asst. is better...

Erina needs to get chopped down a peg already..

Is this the "bad" arc or the next one?

It won't start bad, but yeah, this will mostly be the disappointing arc. It's improving a bit but seems to be running out of ideas.

Moaradin

The first arc this season should cover is actually one of the best in the series. It's only after that it gets pretty dumb, with the manga only recently recovering. Knowing the anime they'll probably just rush through the good stuff because it isn't important enough or some shit.

Ascheroth

You mean like cut out the fat of the bad parts or what? Sorry, I don't read the manga.
There are some parts that come across as really dumb but sorta get explanations/justifications later on that make them slightly less dumb in hindsight. Which is why they should just put those explanations/justifications earlier.
There's probably no complete salvaging though and I have to say that after the second anime season (which I still haven't finished) I'm not really expecting anything anyway.
The first arc of the new season should be fantastic if they do it right, though.

You mean like cut out the fat of the bad parts or what? Sorry, I don't read the manga.

This next arc has a lot of compounding issues. One it runs longer than it really should, especially for such a one note villain at its core. It drags in parts as it does a lot of work to set up the new status quo, delves into quite a few flashbacks to explain the origins of this arc, tries to inject new stuff into its format but isn't as interesting as the shokugeki, also feels sometimes like a retread of other arcs/ideas in the manga.

It's basically a big old mess in my opinion. It would take a lot of restructuring, better charactization, and some serious rewrites to actually improve it. That's just my opinion though and hey maybe once in anime form the arc will improve tremendously, but food wars was denying in the jump rankings for months because of this arc.

Qurupeke

Fate/Apocrypha 6
VmbSGQH.jpg

Fake Saber gets wrecked.
Artoria Altria appears as a guest character and even the enemies can't stop saying how perfect she is. Yep, this is Fate.

The fights that followed were really ridiculous. Loli assassin and female Dock Ock. What the hell. And Astolfo's master continues not to make any sense.

dan2026

Fate/Apocrypha 6

Artoria Altria appears as a guest character and even the enemies can't stop saying how perfect she is. Yep, this is Fate.

The fights that followed were really ridiculous. Loli assassin and female Dock Ock. What the hell. And Astolfo's master continues not to make any sense.
The Fate series confuses and disturbs me.
It's Funko Pops level of I don't understand why this is popular.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Can we have an anime where it's an anime character who wakes up in the real world.

Sure, it's just ripping off Enchanted, but when has anime ever needed to be original?

That and the series will end after the first episode when they are arrested for talking to kids.

e_i

Plz say it isn't so.

Sort of. He gets a regular girl (whose probably his main squeeze), but he gets
three young slave girls.
Look at the main picture on CR news story. See those three girls off to the left side wearing rags. Yeah. I've only read the first light novel so I don't know whose been added.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I feel you should be using the highlight tag rather than spoiler tag for all this.

Feels like information people need to know before watching that show.

duckroll

Made in Abyss - Episode 3 to 5

The show's pretty nice but the pace feels sooooooooo slow. It's like watching someone play EO on super easy mode and stopping every 5 minutes to pee. Weird. Between the designs and the story so far I don't think it really sells the feeling that the Abyss is particularly dangerous. The show keeps telling us it is, the characters keep telling us it is, but I'm... not really convinced. Not sure how this is going to end in a single season either.

Joe Molotov

Sort of. He gets a regular girl (whose probably his main squeeze), but he gets
three young slave girls.
Look at the main picture on CR news story. See those three girls off to the left side wearing rags. Yeah. I've only read the first light novel so I don't know whose been added.

Finally the Rance adaptation we always wanted.

Made in Abyss - Episode 3 to 5

The show's pretty nice but the pace feels sooooooooo slow. It's like watching someone play EO on super easy mode and stopping every 5 minutes to pee. Weird. Between the designs and the story so far I don't think it really sells the feeling that the Abyss is particularly dangerous. The show keeps telling us it is, the characters keep telling us it is, but I'm... not really convinced. Not sure how this is going to end in a single season either.

It's not going to end (unless it pulls off a sharp anime-original diversion, which I doubt) in the sense that the manga is still ongoing, so certainly we aren't reaching the bottom of the Abyss by the 13th episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom