• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Princess Principal - Episodes 2 and 3

Fantastic stuff. I love the setting and the intrigue. The characters are more interesting than they let on, and the action is good. Not sure if the non-linear episode order is required tho. The show balances dark stuff and lighter moments and cool action pretty well. Some of the 3D cinematography is a bit dodgy but forgivable. One of the more promising mystery procedural anime in a long time.

LotusHD

Banned

Fantastic stuff. I love the setting and the intrigue. The characters are more interesting than they let on, and the action is good. Not sure if the non-linear episode order is required tho. The show balances dark stuff and lighter moments and cool action pretty well. Some of the 3D cinematography is a bit dodgy but forgivable. One of the more promising mystery procedural anime in a long time.

Literally watching the 2nd episode right now, a lot better than I thought it was at first glance.

Imo 3 and 4 are weaker than 1 and 2, but yeah, in general terms it's very decent.

blurr

The Age of Shadows

I should watch more Korean films but I'm generally hesitant if they're very violent and a lot of recommendations I get sound like something along those lines. This one was too but thankfully, those moments are brief. When it's not that, this was an atmospheric thriller with some tight action sequences and bloody good performances.

I can gladly recommend this.

moogs

Neo Member
BlazBlue Alter Memory 07-12

Out of genuine concern for the lost Lambda, and not at all because she looks like his little sister, Ragna teaches her the meaning of life. The parallels drawn between Lambda and the parasite, which happened to be lying around, were unexpectedly heartfelt. Nevertheless, the candid lectures provided at least one tender respite from the mayhem. Ragna is a decent person when he's not yelling at people or pounding on walls. Then he deftly serenaded her with his leaf whistle rhapsody. It was a surprisingly endearing field trip complete with existential subtext. Rest in peace, Mr. Tartar. Rest in peace Ragna's loving left arm, Lambda. o7

At long last, Ragna makes Λ-No.11 and μ-No.12—both dummies of his little sister—come together by inserting his "Idea Engine" into the special "Dimensional Boundary Contact Prime Field" to break its protective layer, bringing Noel back to her senses through all these nonsensical allusions. Consequently, after learning that others could also dismember Ragna, the tainting of his brother must have been too much to bear for Jin. He moves on from stalking his big brother to tailing a fine stray cat instead.

Here's Jin demonstrating his Suzaku-inspired, traveling corkscrew spin because how else is a user of ice magic supposed to freeze his or her opponents, if not by perplexing them? The shoddy animation in this series shamelessly shows from beginning to end. Seeing as how action wasn't its strong suit, an alternative focus might have benefited the show. Also, empathizing with Rachel's aloof conduct was difficult without an established basis for it.

duckroll

Princess Principal - Episode 4

This was alright, but definitely a weaker episode. They clearly wanted to jump forward again to have a mission with a "full team" but I felt the logic was a bit lacking here. Their cover was really bad for the mission, and there were a lot of weird unnecessary risks which seemed like it would blow their identities. Unless the Commonwealth captured the entire ship at the end (how?) I don't see how they wouldn't have been eventually identified.

There also isn't much point for a "is she or isn't she" suspicion plot for the princess at this point, since this clearly takes place before the first episode, and they are all still working together then... lol.

Still pretty enjoyable though!

Dragon ball Super 102

No. 17 is such a highlight in this arc I'm afraid he won't last much longer.

The magical girls are great but just like most warriors in this show we already know they'll be taken out in a matter of episodes until we get to universe 6 and the superhero universe. Maybe we lose 1 or 2 more members of universe 7 in the meantime. I expect roshi and tien to be taken out.

I'm not quite clear on the rules though, is it that when the time limit is over whichever universe has people left in the stage doesn't get destroyed? If so, I expect universe 6, 7 superhero one and possibly universe 2 to keep warriors around for sure.

I hope universe 10 does as well, elephant Kun is fucking adorable how he angrily hits the guys with his trunk lmao

Princess Principal 05

Story is fine, but action is great in this episode.
>check the credit
Oh no wonder, Ryouma Ebata is storyboard and animation director of this episode, and looks like he also did the action scenes animation.

Dragon ball Super 102

No. 17 is such a highlight in this arc I'm afraid he won't last much longer.

The magical girls are great but just like most warriors in this show we already know they'll be taken out in a matter of episodes until we get to universe 6 and the superhero universe. Maybe we lose 1 or 2 more members of universe 7 in the meantime. I expect roshi and tien to be taken out.

I'm not quite clear on the rules though, is it that when the time limit is over whichever universe has people left in the stage doesn't get destroyed? If so, I expect universe 6, 7 superhero one and possibly universe 2 to keep warriors around for sure.

I hope universe 10 does as well, elephant Kun is fucking adorable how he angrily hits the guys with his trunk lmao
Universe with the most people left at the end of the time limit wins

Sad capcom doesnt seem to be engdubbing the monhun stories ride on for us in America...but at least it means I wont have to hear the eng names for leoleaus.

I didnt know it followed the anime somewhat

duckroll

Princess Principal - Episode 5

Damn what a FUN episode. Lots of cool action, really silly but exciting story introducing the samurai girl member, and EBATA OF THE STRANGER. Lmao. I'm so glad I decided to catch up on this series today. The winner of the season so far.

So that's where he's been.

Ebata did the storyboard, animation direction, a bunch key animation, and second key animation too. Lol.

Princess Principal 05 - Sword of the Stranger II

Ok, not really.
I just like to tease Duckroll.

edit: damnit too late!

edit 2: Now more seriously, it's a 'action in the train!' episode. People fighting on the roof, people jumping from one train to another one, etc. Imo, it worked better than the 'action in an airship' episode, though I totally guessed the twist with the assassin and I did it almost at the start. The animation in the fight is wood, and even the animation before the fighting starts is better than usual.
I liked how instead of the stereotypical weird westerner, it was seen from the optic of the westerners so the Japanese were the stereotypical weird here, with all their harakiri and all the kneeling.

duckroll

Hahaha, I'm sorry. :(

But man, it's nice to have an original anime that is actually fun! It's an unpredictable show because the format allows them to do a lot of different things.

Princess Principal - Episode 5

Damn what a FUN episode. Lots of cool action, really silly but exciting story introducing the samurai girl member, and EBATA OF THE STRANGER. Lmao. I'm so glad I decided to catch up on this series today. The winner of the season so far.

I like Made in Abyss better, but Princess Principal is pretty enjoyable as well.

Ebata did the storyboard, animation direction, a bunch key animation, and second key animation too. Lol.

I know some people had been hoping Ebata would grace Princess Principal with another of his solo OP/EDs, given his 3hz connections, but him handling a full episode is even better. Almost as good as Ando storyboarding an episode, huh?

blurr

I like Made in Abyss better, but Princess Principal is pretty enjoyable as well.

I know some people had been hoping Ebata would grace Princess Principal with another of his solo OP/EDs, given his 3hz connections, but him handling a full episode is even better. Almost as good as Ando storyboarding an episode, huh?

Ohh so this is the Dimension W studio.

Knight's & Magic Episode 6

So many time skips in this anime, I wonder what happens between them, side story volumes when?

I hope we dont do the ernie fails plot and loses command of his unit like some series like to do

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Princess Principal Episode 5:

I am still puzzled why they had Chise's introduction episode here instead of last episode but I suppose hat doesn't matter too much in the end. At any rate, this one ratchets down the cloak and dagger stuff in favor of more straightforward ambitions, still heavy on the emotions mind you but events were presented with more then the usual amount of clarity.

Knights & Magic - 06

Lmao this anime is so much better than it has any right to be. It's so hype, I got chills at the end. The design of the mechs in this show is top tier.

Clean Aoyama Ep 6

Could have been some random ova (i wanted some soccer at least)

Though very hilarious about how it was speaking of how manga fans react to evil characters or even writers responses to reader comments and trying to cater to them while struggling to not lose them. Great.

Princess Principal Episode 5:

I am still puzzled why they had Chise's introduction episode here instead of last episode but I suppose hat doesn't matter too much in the end. At any rate, this one ratchets down the cloak and dagger stuff in favor of more straightforward ambitions, still heavy on the emotions mind you but events were presented with more then the usual amount of clarity.

Potentially, they could use this non-linear, jumping around narrative style to make some cool twists, once they start telling bigger stories that need several episodes.

duckroll

I honestly thing the non-linear thing is just a narrative gimmick to be "clever" and tease audiences.

The first episode is set much later to pull some silly in media res intro where we see the entire team working together like a well oiled machine and we lack the context to know why they are doing what they are doing but there are twists which only work because we don't actually know the characters. So the audience is like the guy who got played in the episode.

The second and third episode are sequential to introduce the main players and their motivations/backstories/dynamics. This is a classic "return to the beginning" technique so the audience doesn't remain lost and bail out of the show.

After this, they decided to jump ahead again to show another mission where the entire team is together. This time they drop hints of why Chise is there, to get the audience curious. This leads us to today's episode where they jump back a bit to reveal how she joined up.

What's next? We still don't know much about Dorothy, or Control. There's probably also a story worth telling regarding the Duke of Normandy's assistant, who seems like an enemy side spy/agent.

If they do decide to use this gimmick to pull more ambitious narrative tricks, I hope that eventually we get episodes so far in the future that we can't actually tell if the Princess is the Princess, or if it is Ange. Operation Changling is the biggest Chekov's Gun in the series after all. :)

Narag

A Centaur's Life 5

cracking up at the film industry leaving Hime kinda racist. Show's tone continues to remind me of Flying Witch given how laid back it is but the production is a lot like Sakamoto in that it's so amazingly average.

Qurupeke

Wolf Children

Pretty damn good, though I found the film's first two thirds or so a lot more interesting than the rest. The prospect of a mother raising the children herself, considering her circumstances, was really fascinating. The ending was fine, a nice conclusion to the contrast presented throughout the movie, but I'd prefer if it explored the sibling's relationship more.
Like, it doesn't feel right that one of the last scenes they're together had them fighting. Yuki was absent during the whole thing with Ame, I understand that each of the kid had essentially their own arc, but I was hoping to see her reaction and thoughts on that matter.
Nevertheless, it was very good. Tons of cute and funny moments and best anime mom. The "slice of life" scenes were also really nice, and there were thankfully in abundance, I really like how Hosoda presents country life on his films.

blurr

A Centaur's Life 5

cracking up at the film industry leaving Hime kinda racist. Show's tone continues to remind me of Flying Witch given how laid back it is but the production is a lot like Sakamoto in that it's so amazingly average.

In case you haven't seen Oshiete Galko-chan, it might interest you as well.

A Centaur's Life 5

We need a season 2 of Barakamon.

For a good laid back heartwarming anime.

Princess Principal 05

DGkKZPiXYAU8Hb1.jpg
DGkKZPgXcAQH0MH.jpg
Ok so how much of Beato is robot? Girl just took a blade to the neck and didn't get decapitated and I'm pretty sure the blade would have gone through even if it struck her voicebox part also you can see what seems to be words in her eyes as she gets rattled. Aside from that, another awesome episode, train fights are cool and this delivered on the cool.

Sterok

Princess Principal 5

And now we finally get Chise's introduction to the cast. Less sneaking around, more shooting and stabbing. I kind of appreciate how they're willing to vary things up every episode instead of falling into one pattern. And the action was really good. The twist was predictable, but the emotions were well done anyway. There's also a bit of arc building where the Duke wants Princess out of the way for whatever reason. Power for himself, or someone else?

Sterok

KiraKira Precure À La Mode 26

Precure in swimsuits? Stop the presses! Being stranded like that and all their options being taken away was funny. I liked how the high school duo gave no shits about anything. But Bibury was the real star. I'd like some more info, but what we got works. She was lonely, and Noir offered her some comfort. That seems to be a recurring theme with the villains this time. Mistakes were made with Julio, so I can see why Ciel wanted to make amends with Bibury. Didn't quite work out, but it should pay off eventually. Pretty good episode actually.

It kinda bugs me that a show called Princess Principal is a better spy show than Joker Game.

It kinda really bugs me.

It really bugs me.

Non Non Biyori got an annoucement a few months ago

I enjoy Non Non Biyori, but man I am salty on how it gets continuous seasons yet Barakamon is still stuck on season 1.

Although both are set out in the country Non Non Biyori just lacks something that makes me enjoy Barakamon a lot more. I cant pinpoint what it is tho.

Edit: Still is nice Non Non Biyori is getting some more love. Oh nm then we don't know if its a new season or movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom