• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

petran79

Banned
Some adaptations are worth watching for their unique approach to the manga material, like Shigurui. Though characters look like those from the earlier series Nazca

duckroll

Haven't you been watching anime for years? I'm not sure why you're suddenly surprised that anime adaptations of ongoing material exist.

What was the point of Bones adapting Mob Psycho 100? That story didn't end in a single season either.

Mob Psycho 100 doesn't feel incomplete though. If it never got another season, it would still be alright because it introduced itself as a premise with an ongoing potential. Whatever story hooks it set up, it resolved within the series.

This on the other hand is an adventure story that starts with a hook of a girl going to the depths to find her mother. If that never resolves and the series isn't renewed, the entire work has no value beyond being an advertisement.

This is why no one respects anime.

Jarmel

Banned
Mob Psycho 100 doesn't feel incomplete though. If it never got another season, it would still be alright because it introduced itself as a premise with an ongoing potential. Whatever story hooks it set up, it resolved within the series.

This on the other hand is an adventure story that starts with a hook of a girl going to the depths to find her mother. If that never resolves and the series isn't renewed, the entire work has no value beyond being an advertisement.

When did cornbread hack duckroll's account?

That's not true. The last episode of Mob set up hooks for larger villain threats that it didn't resolve.

I think the Flowers of Evil anime has value beyond being an advertisement for the manga even if it hardly adapted the entire story. Do you think The Reflection is a superior Nagahama show to Flowers of Evil because it's not an incomplete adaptation of something else? (I know you don't think this, unless your opinion on Flowers of Evil has quite recently changed, which is why I'm not sure if you're trolling here.)

I suspect the Made in Abyss anime will try to end on a good stopping point, that completes a plot arc even if it doesn't complete the overarching narrative. That's good enough for me. Now I respect the perspective of someone who doesn't want to watch anime adaptations of incomplete material and so will only watch anime originals or adaptations of finished works. Wanting closure is an understandable sentiment. I have watched enough anime that I think there can be value in an anime that doesn't necessarily provide closure - and that, in fact, sometime anime that doesn't provide closure can be a superior experience to anime that does, if the quality gap in their overall productions is sufficient. So I've made my peace with incomplete adaptations.

duckroll

I think the Flowers of Evil anime has value beyond being an advertisement for the manga even if it hardly adapted the entire story. Do you think The Reflection is a superior Nagahama show to Flowers of Evil because it's not an incomplete adaptation of something else? (I know you don't think this, unless your opinion on Flowers of Evil has quite recently changed, which is why I'm not sure if you're trolling here.)

Reflection blows though, so why are we comparing it to anything other than an Imaishi show? I do think that the lack of an ending for Flowers of Evil hurts it as a series and makes it harder to recommend as a complete work. It's still very good no doubt, but it's still an incomplete work!

Reflection blows though, so why are we comparing it to anything other than an Imaishi show?

You're killing me here, duck.

I do think that the lack of an ending for Flowers of Evil hurts it as a series and makes it harder to recommend as a complete work. It's still very good no doubt, but it's still an incomplete work!

I am in broad agreement with this - I will recommend Flowers of Evil, but obviously I can't recommend the anime as a complete work, which it is not - so I'm glad we've reached agreement that even an incomplete work is not necessarily a waste of time.

Fate Apocrypha - 06

Seeing that glimpse into the past between Arturia and Mordred was awesome. But yeah I highly doubt the girl is going to die in the next episode.

petran79

Banned
I am in broad agreement with this - I will recommend Flowers of Evil, but obviously I can't recommend the anime as a complete work, which it is not - so I'm glad we've reached agreement that even an incomplete work is not necessarily a waste of time.

Flowers of Evil anime and manga are two opposite works in almost everything. Despite the lack of an ending, the anime is superior to the manga. If it werent for the series, the manga would be just one of those average psychological teen dramas.

Ascheroth

Cold Steel - Chapters 1 & 2

This is as much a slow burn as Trails FC, lol. I'm having a blast following the little NPC stories though. It also kinda feels like Persona. Better written though.
Thank god for turbo mode, I don't know how you guys could do without on PS3 and Vita.
Also, I get all giddy everytime (TitS spoilers)
Bleublanc appears and I catch some other TitS references, like the Acerbic tomatoes for sale :p

blurr

Tsurezure Children 04-05

When did rom com anime get so forward and yet not really.

Loved these two episodes, especially the text message gag, climax paid off for the tension.

Pretty sure that scene was complete filler lol

Also Mob is getting more stuff adapted anyways

Was it? I remember (not here) people being adamant that was some epic battle from way down the line. But maybe they were just confusing it with something else.

Edit: oh I guess it was just filler loosely based on upcoming events in the manga. So fandom talking out their ass again. My bad.

Ascheroth

Fate/Apocrypha 06

eEK0V3v.jpg
JIk75Bh.jpg
I like how Necromancer dude uses hearts as grenades and fingers as bullets.

Kyuur

Tsurezure Children 04-05

When did rom com anime get so forward and yet not really.

Loved these two episodes, especially the text message gag, climax paid off for the tension.

It's glorious. 99.9% of other anime need to hire whoever wrote this as a consultant if they're doing romance.

Escaflowne 2

Ok, this is bizarre. I feel as if I skipped over one episode by mistake. Why Hitomi is so unfazed after being transported to a FREAKING FANTASY WORLD?
She should be... I don't know, surprised, shocked, amazed, horrified by the prospect of being trapped in another world forever. She see magitech robots and don't even utter a single exclamation.
At least ask yourself, girl, how you can see Earth on the sky, that doesn't make sense because Earthlings would be able to see the fantasy planet.

She barely remembered twice his mom saying "oh no she will be worried by me" in these first episodes and that's it. She didn't even seemed or sounded really worried, imo.

And the bad lieutenant/commander? gal seems a mustached villain, for now.

Also, there is a cat girl. And one kind of furry. Sorry, but that makes this more Isekai, not less.

Pros:

-Still good animation. And I liked the thermoptic capes.
-Cool 2d mechanical design! We are the 90s baby!
tumblr_nmbkmtyIeH1rjxyrgo1_250.gif

SXa57IJ.png

In fact I like more the interiors than the pseudo amorphous exterior. And why the protagonist has to own the most corny looking robot??
-Good choir music. It hyped me when it appeared.

Escaflowne 3-4
There was a funny scene, where Hitomi was thinking romantically of the blonde guy:

Come on gurl, you have been transported to another world, it's full of barbarians with big swords, you don't know how to come back, you have seen how a city has been attacked and destroyed, killing who know how many people, there is a strange floating fortress and it seems they are searching for you, do you think it's really the moment of thinking if some random bod is 'the one'???

Oh yeah, I like the design of the brother

Also, we have now an airship. We JRPG!

Fate Apocrypha 6

Man, you don't realize just HOW ridiculous it is that Arthur is a woman and so is Mordred until you
see them in multiple scenes together
lmaaaaaaaaao. Fucking waifus. I love how Shinpachi in this setting of wizards of knights and royalty has to be an otaku anime fan.

Oh and by the by, if it wasn't bad enough that Jack the Ripper is a yandere loli, she also wears a battle thong as her armor. It's sad the show needs to have THIS level of trash since if it wasn't for that and the fan service shots it'd be more easy to recommend as a trashy action anime.

Necromancer has the best fucking tools and weapons. His fight against Dexter in his robot mech suit was short but enjoyable.

tuffy

Escaflowne 3-4
There was a funny scene, where Hitomi was thinking romantically of the blonde guy:

Come on gurl, you have been transported to another world, it's full of barbarians with big swords, you don't know how to come back, you have seen how a city has been attacked and destroyed, killing who know how many people, there is a strange floating fortress and it seems they are searching for you, do you think it's really the moment of thinking if some random bod is 'the one'???
Even though these two have zero chemistry right from the get-go, Escaflowne keeps pretending that they might be a thing
long after the audience knows they won't.
In the end all the teen drama feels like a way to pad out the show when all I really want is to see is medieval mecha bashing each other with huge swords.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Your Name

This is totally being remade as a sappy live action Hollywood movie isn't it?

But seriously this is great. Who the fuck didn't like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom