• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNAbro

And now, the reason live action Light calls himself Kira...

DIG-_Evq_Xc_AAEFYO.jpg

DIG-_I7_UXk_AAKV8a.jpg

I'm so excited to watch this tonight with a group of friends.

Cornbread78

Abenobashi Magigic ep.9-END
This was a prettygood show through the end. I mean, the tone did change a little, but it maintained the comedy through it all and even though the story did get a little strange with the tone change, it still ended on a good tone.

Quasar

This week I watched Barakamon (great), Shin Mazinger Z (good) and Getter Robo Armageddon (great), dunno what to watch (or rewatch) next.

My options at the moment

Bakemonogatari (only seen 5 eps years ago)
Yozakura Quartet
Silver Spoon (never watched season 2)
Ore Monogatari
Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi

I liked all those.

Taruranto

Bahamut 18

Finally (almost) caught up with this. I'm not really feeling this season, I do like the cast, even some of the new entries (El, Sofiel ), but the whole deal with the Angels is just bleah and the romance is really terrible. She talked to him like twice and didn't even know his name until now, but they are so in loooooveeee.

Altair A Record of Battles Episode 6

What, Mahmut needs something to power him as apart from his eagle handling skills he is like so weak, at least he has good strategies.

but that antagonists and their plan, wow, poor Kirios :(

Altair Record of Battles 7

I hope Doge has a good answer to explain this betrayal.

Though Im so glad KENN gets to stick around, I thought he was definitely being penned as some random minor arc specific character, but to be there entrusting his life in his Bey's hand, yes please. Also Iskander opening up to him, wonderful.

blurr

Supposing I want to watch a mecha series these days, do I watch Gundam IBO or Kuromukuro? Which one has the best action and mecha designs? Also, how do they fare plot wise?

Kuromukuro has much more grounded action and practical design with some light moments. The show's appeal has to do with how it handles basic plot progression and is generally well written.

IBO action packs a punch and designs are generally more stylistic with some strong emotional moments. Writing hits some highs and lows.

And now, the reason live action Light calls himself Kira...

DIG-_Evq_Xc_AAEFYO.jpg

DIG-_I7_UXk_AAKV8a.jpg

Wtf

18if Episode 7 (EngDub)

Haruto felt like he wasnt himself this episode. Though weird that it felt like he wasnt even needed here. Oh well I dont know if the actual witch's awakenining ought to have been as consequence free as say some of the others we had.

Good story.

Haruto looks amazing on the cover.
tumblr_ov8vemkjNW1uu7duto1_540.jpg

DNAbro

Death Note (Netflix)

If you want to shit on a mediocre movie with friends, this one is pretty good for it. There is some genuine entertainment in it due to different levels of bad and not knowing what was going to happen cause how they changed the source material made it semi interesting but yeah it's not great besides that. It has the most amazing chase scene and use of slow motion that had all my friends laughing out loud. I'm not sure if that was the reaction they were going for but it was fun. Other than that they completely miss why people love the original.

blurr

Kakegurui 02

A bit disappointed over the CG hands during some moments but that's just me being picky.

Fantastic stuff overall, revealed a more sadistic side of some contenders and it's (perversely) delightful to see Jabome destroy them figuratively post match. Calling this a guilty pleasure is appropriate in more ways than one.

TissueBox

I was thinking of the lack of good fantasy shows and randomly remembered the Ancient Magus' Bride (which I forgot >_<)... now I have something to look forward to again. ^^' Hope it pulls it off...

Narag

I was thinking of the lack of good fantasy shows and randomly remembered the Ancient Magus' Bride (which I forgot >_<)... now I have something to look forward to again. ^^' Hope it pulls it off...

Seems like this happens with good fantasy anime in general. Feels like there's always something non-isekai/videogame out there that's just overlooked.

Kenstar

Kakegurui 02

A bit disappointed over the CG hands during some moments but that's just me being picky.

Fantastic stuff overall, revealed a more sadistic side of some contenders and it's (perversely) delightful to see Jabome destroy them figuratively post match. Calling this a guilty pleasure is appropriate in more ways than one.

DID YOU JUST

So about that Pripara cafe... I managed to get in this morning in the first time slot. I really lucked out! A few pics:

A really cute and fun place. Of course, as any Animate Cafe, it's expensive, but I had a lot of fun there! Managed to pick up some cute exclusive character goods too!

Cool. What were the other fans visiting like? :p

Clov

Cool. What were the other fans visiting like? :p

The vast majority were young women. Not that that's too surprising, given that it's Ikebukuro. There were two men there, and one lady who brought her two kids. I was the only foreigner, it seemed, not that that's surprising either. :p

blurr

Kakegurui 03

Interesting turn of events.

I appreciate the trivia on old cheating techniques.

Jabami-sama is glorious as ever.

Worth pointing out the moment the three girls who come to laugh at Jabami took me in by surprise. Quite literally burst out laughing, shook me up a little there. I love these intense and focused moments that appear through the episode.

The vast majority were young women. Not that that's too surprising, given that it's Ikebukuro. There were two men there, and one lady who brought her two kids. I was the only foreigner, it seemed, not that that's surprising either. :p

Exactly as expected then :p

Clov

Exactly as expected then :p

Pretty much, yeah. :p Though there were a few things that surprised me. Like the big rush to grab the merch after everyone had been seated. I saw some people grabbing handfuls and handfuls of the blind box keychains and pins and putting them in their baskets to buy! I also was surprised that we got to play a game at the end. It was a sort of three round lottery game, where we picked a team on a sheet of paper, hold it up, and whichever one was picked would go to the next round. Unfortunately I lost in the second one, so I didn't get whatever goodies the people at the end got. Still, it was a lot of fun!

I also was surprised that we got to play a game at the end. It was a sort of three round lottery game, where we picked a team on a sheet of paper, hold it up, and whichever one was picked would go to the next round. Unfortunately I lost in the second one, so I didn't get whatever goodies the people at the end got. Still, it was a lot of fun!

Surprised it wasn't janken ;p

moogs

Neo Member
So about that Pripara cafe... I managed to get in this morning in the first time slot. I really lucked out!

A really cute and fun place. Of course, as any Animate Cafe, it's expensive, but I had a lot of fun there! Managed to pick up some cute exclusive character goods too!
Did they serve pickled plum pizza?

The somewhat artificial quality of the drama or the disagreement you highlight is largely due to the show's tendency to portray idols as little more than personalities (personality is definitely a quality that art tends to posess) and less as a dynamic field of work i.e. it doesn't actually get into the nitty gritty details of idol work to highlight its objective qualities, which is something I'm fine with considering what it achieves. The director's role depicts a necessity to survive at one level and prosper at another, this sometimes doesn't align with an artist's sensibilities (in an organization) to various degrees. In Kaede's case, she straight up rejects it. What I liked about this is the more art vs business shift in narrative that tackles interesting conflicts and how it affects artists(or in this case, Idols).

Well, that does put things into perspective as the show continues to harp on individuality. The conflict between Mishiro and her employees seems ill-defined since the means of retaliation has simply been defiance without penalty, though. When the scenarios only serve to promote the idols' characteristics—by having them reaffirm their identities—it really narrows the series's scope. Too many of them develop this way too often, with few exceptions. It's grown stale. I'm more interested in the work's story rather than its commentary on cultivating/marketing personalities, which is still interesting.

THE iDOLM@STER: Cabbit Cinderella Girls 16

Nothing has been put forth that warrants the policies Mishiro is dictating. The facilities are too extravagant and the jobs too plentiful for one to believe that the company so desperately needs to reinvent and exceed itself. So why is she so eager to interfere with the idols' already steady success? Her militant approach is suspiciously toothless. Do the idols have a union or something?

Rankings: 1. Uzuki; 2. Mika; 3. Anastasia&#9650;; 4. Rin; 5. Miku&#9660;; 6. Ranko; 7. Kirari; 8. Mio; 9. Rika; 10. Minami; 11. Riina; 12. Anzu; |17|. Nana

Well, that final animetourism88 list was released today:
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...es-tourism-pilgrimage-inspired-shikoku-henro/

More than 80 cities, towns and wards have been selected as destinations in what is being dubbed the “Anime Tourism 88-Stop Pilgrimage,” an anime industry association announced Saturday.

The municipalities listed contain sites that were depicted in or inspired scenes for anime productions. The campaign was named after the Shikoku Henro, the 1,200-km spiritual journey that encompasses 88 Buddhist temples on Shikoku.

The spots were selected based on votes solicited from about 50,000 anime fans worldwide and discussions with municipalities, according to the Anime Tourism Association, which is running the project.

For many Japanese anime fans, visiting places depicted in their favorite animations has become a common custom dubbed seichi junrei, meaning “pilgrimage to sacred place.” The concept behind anime tourism is nearly the same as seichi junrei.

Since Japanese anime are popular overseas, there are probably many non-Japanese fans eager to go on such pilgrimages but unsure of where to start because of the limited amount of information in other languages, said Fumiyuki Kakizawa, the public relations chief of the Anime Tourism Association.

Can get the list here:
http://shadan.animetourism88.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/5db76d05b232aead2611abe44f510750.pdf

Lots of KyoAni stuff missing from it though, and some weird inclusions like... ummm... Hand Shakers :p

Can see details about some of the places on the website as well, but only the Japanese version is working right now:
https://animetourism88.com/ja/sanctuary

Dali

Is Legend of the Millennium Dragon any good? It's on prime and I'm bored. I just watched the trailer and those hideous character designs make me want to do a hard pass but I've ended up liking other animated movies with designs or overall aesthetics I hated at first too.

blurr

Well, that does put things into perspective as the show continues to harp on individuality. The conflict between Mishiro and her employees seems ill-defined since the means of retaliation has simply been defiance without penalty, though. When the scenarios only serve to promote the idols' characteristics&#8212;by having them reaffirm their identities&#8212;it really narrows the series's scope. Too many of them develop this way too often, with few exceptions. It's grown stale. I'm more interested in the work's story rather than its commentary on cultivating/marketing personalities, which is still interesting.

It is defiance without penalty but it's not about consequence so much as the choice and what it means to them at a deeper level (regardless of the consequence) which is where it shines.

It really served me well since it's pretty much the first and the only idol show I've seen so I had nothing to hold on to in reference. I remember asking for recommendations on Idol shows earlier and a lot of the members recommended to start off with it - bless them.

Jac_Solar

Man.. Made in Abyss is such an amazing series, at least so far.

It's all about my favorite anime elements -- going on an adventure and mystery, with a genuinely interesting overall concept. And very little fanservice!

Dali

Man.. Made in Abyss is such an amazing series, at least so far.

It's all about my favorite anime elements -- going on an adventure and mystery, with a genuinely interesting overall concept. And very little fanservice!
Yep. It's like a [good] Ghibli movie. Wish there were more shows like this and Dennou Coil.

100% Teacher Pascal Episode 20
DIKZeIgUQAEhl11.jpg:small

Great end of summer vacation type episode, very funny moments with Hayato commentary over the various video scenarios, also the staff really loved making him nekkid this week, odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom