• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re:Creators Episode 19

Kanoya for MVP this episode, epic speech and awesome fighting determination, his hand though :(

Feels like Charon would feel a bit more interesting if he had been built up a bit earlier, unless I missed Selesia bringing him up before, unlike say Sho and Yuya

rip Selesia

duckroll

Made in Abyss - Episode 8

After last week's weak episode with iffy direction and art consistency it returns STRONG this week with top notch stuff. Yum. Honestly, this could have been a pretty decent season finale point if they dragged out some of the earlier arcs. I wonder how they plan on ending the season now.

Chase17

Made in Abyss 08
Show does a pretty good job of building Lyza up. Liked the scenes of her and Ozen.

Re:Creators 19
Altair turning to the camera and cutting a promo was hilarious. I wish her powers were a little more defined but I guess that goes against the whole point of her.

The ricochet bullet attack was cool.

Kanoya and Alice each got great moments this episode.

I think they could have done a better job of developing Charon prior to this fight, but we know enough to make it interesting.

Time to get the resurrection person in the cross over working over time

Monster Strike 2nd Season Episode 22

Whoa were gonna get even more Monster Strike in fall, after a short month break hype, as we havent really touched on the main plot and main antagonist yet.

In any case, looking forward to the climax next week, this pirate fight was alright.

I feel as one of these guys with this series

hqdefault.jpg

I feel very neutral about it. It has some good production values (backgrounds, monster design, music), some mystery element that are decently intriguing, but the truth is, I don't feel particularly compelled by the story told or the characters. It's just... there.

jonjonaug

Re: Creators 19 - The last four or five episodes have lived up to the potential of the premise of the show in a big way. Ever since the recap episode this series has constantly gone up in quality.

Also we're on like, four levels of meta now.

0EEVPQZ.jpg

Future Card Buddyfight X [Batzz] Episode 20 EngDub

Oh yeah they brought Kiri back and are bringing back Big Z! I cant wait for next week.

Kiri fight was great, he was always great once he awakened to his true powers and this buddyfight delivered all I ever needed for him. Fimbulwinter w Fenrir is too good.

blurr

Kakegurui 04

I'm glad neither the school nor the people in it exist...

EXCEPT IN HER CASE

Apologies for the image spam but this scene was just too good and appeared at a much needed moment.

This extra scene is only present to reestablish her personality and it was really well executed, the music, the sound effects and the voice over work.

The OP has some really neat visuals but ED stands out for me better in terms of highlighting Jabami's portrayal.

Touken Ranbu Katsugeki Episode 9

Back to 1st team, and Yagen had good moments.

Im usually not a fan of Mutsunokami but this episode and him playing the major role and using himself with Ryoma was actually good and a bit emotional. Kind of goofy at times too (when he finally broke his silence accidently).

I want Time retrograde army to do stuff present day, though I dont know if the game does that.

phaze

One Piece: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island

Just really horrid in a number of ways. Unfunny humor with the character doing their tired out routines, writing that has no idea how to believable make a crew fall out with each other and turning to far fetched plot devices some which don't even make a lick of sense, Luffy being a headless chicken as per usual and then turning like into walking dictaphone with "Nakama, Nakama, Nakama, Nakama, Nakama, Nakama, Nakama, Nakama, Nakama, Nakama, Nakama, Nakama, Nakama, Nakama, Nakama, " recorded onto it. Honestly a movie and a character hasn't pissed me off so much in a long time. Good riddance and all that.

Ghost in the Shell

My nickname is phaze and I give my consent to laughing at this movie.

Zutto Mae kara Suki deshita
I swear, a girl in one of the pairings goes out with a character cause he gave his seat in train to other people. (and thus he's "nice")
user222437_pic71490_12brbb.png

Konosuba S2 11 OVA
No, it's still pretty damn good.

Guru Guru 07
This show is yet to have a bad episode as far as I'm concerned. Will have another go at the abbys but so far it's AOTS by a gigamile.

Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 1-12

Godtier show.

Kyuur

After last week's weak episode with iffy direction and art consistency it returns STRONG this week with top notch stuff. Yum. Honestly, this could have been a pretty decent season finale point if they dragged out some of the earlier arcs. I wonder how they plan on ending the season now.

This is great to hear. I didn't comment on last week's but it definitely felt weak and rushed, worst episode of the show only really saved by the content in context.

The Reflection Episode 6 - San Antonio
DILKI0mVYAA-xAG.jpg:small

Pretty good emotions this episode especially the mother daughter reunion.

I wish we had spent more time on the kidnapping plot instead though, it was compelling.

Also branding the reflected as terrorists, what, it was just some of them.

Tsuki ga Kirei - Completed

Well, with me officially starting Grad School after this weekend, this is probably going to be the last anime I get to "binge-watch" until I go on Winter Break. Overall, it was a pretty solid experience. I heard a lot of people rave about this series last season so I finally sat down and gave it a watch. It seriously gave me 5 Centimeters Per Second vibes with it's execution of the central romance.

Seeing a more realistic portrayal of a romance between two introverts was both refreshing and frustrating as hell. I was actually shocked that
the ending credits actually went for the Happy Ending. I was totally expecting them to stay broken up at the end.

Jarmel

Banned
Ballroom-8
I haven't read the manga but thinking about it, this feels like it's imitating the manga paneling and pacing. Maybe something like the manga doesn't show his dance moves and so the readers fill in the blanks. Sort of like action scenes in a manga where a reader will see moments of a fight and not the in-between actions. The problem in a visual moving medium such as anime is that by skipping those in-between actions, the viewer can't appropriately approximate or just get a feeling of the skill level of the participants. Here's another case:
These two frames happen near back to back. How is a viewer supposed to know how well Tatara is performing off of this? This is a problem that will affect later moments in the show's run as well since if the viewer doesn't have a clear starting point then how can they denote progress on the part of the characters? The anime comes across as a work that's not interested in the dancing in of itself but rather the characters around it. Problem is that the characters aren't interesting or fleshed out enough to be intriguing in their own right, ala Ping Pong. There are moments when I can look past this but it keeps coming up due to how much time they've spent on the dancing portion.

Also this is for hosanna:

Welcome to the Ballroom 7-8

Ehhh... these episodes haven't been very good. Months ago before the series started I already said I had doubts the anime could be as good as the manga, and while the anime was being below it in quality, it's was still very decent in the first episodes, however it's now when I notice the true abyss between the two.

I had some hopes that now that the competition has really started for Tatara we could have some longer dancing scenes, but instead there has been more stills than before, not less. In fact there has been some clunky scenes like the intro of Ep 7 where they started with two very unnatural stills. In general the style of close ups/illustrative stills reminds of the manga, but of course that's an adaptation mistake, you have to *adapt*.

After that you have the fanservice problem. In the manga it's just a panel here or there, and it moves on, but here in the anime, it's all 'augmented' thanks to the animation (tit bounce), the sound (sfx for tit bounce) or a cut with the camera purely focusing on boobs, so it pass the barrier from 'classy, attractive fanservice' to 'otaku fanservice'.

And the direction is starting to show some flaws with scenes where thing don't flow properly. While for example they got the end of the episode 5 right, here there was supposed to be another similar great scene, when Tatara problems with endurance appears, but here in the anime it has much less dramatic and emotive impact, in fact here it's almost seem silly, and I'm not sure why. As I said, I think maybe it's how the scene flow from one point to another, it didn't have the proper buildup.

On the other hand, character art is still very good, and the story advances and we start to see more complexities on the characters
(the real rival for Tatara is Shizuki, not Gaju; Shizuku has her own conflicting feelings about Hyoudou, as she is pissed at him but at the same time she is insecure at his side and fear being left behind; Gaju and Mako problems are hinted too, he wanted for her to collaborate as partners, but she was too much the typical timid, shy moe blob without no opinions or will.)

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Guys, Re:Creators is really fucking good now.

holy shit what a turnaround
I'm just going to assume the people still watching it have been brainwashed or tricked, because some of the stuff after they returned from break was the most boring stuff I've watched this year...

Jarmel

Banned
I'm just going to assume the people still watching it have been brainwashed or tricked, because some of the stuff after they returned from break was the most boring stuff I've watched this year...

How can you say it's boring when we get scenes like this?
The whole thing is super meta now and works really well as a result.

sonicmj1

The stuff after the break was boring and largely inconsequential. But everything since the start of the Elimination Chamber Festival has been pretty much exactly what you'd hope for from the premise of mashing characters from different shows together and making them fight.

Jarmel

Banned
You can tell the Elimination Chamber Festival stuff was the initial pitch and what the original idea of the show was and everything was written afterwards to get to this point.

LotusHD

Banned
I mean if it takes a show 18 episodes to get good, it's not good.

Depends how long the show is, because at the end of the day, if it got good, it got good. That said, due to how long it might take for it to get good, you may feel reluctant to recommend said show to other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom