• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far Gungrave has passed the three episode test with flying colors. Kind of helps that the setting and tone is right up my alley.

Also, way to swerve my expectations on the third episode in a good way.

Theonik

When you go to these kind of conventions, do they usually put their merchandise on discount vs. their website?
Usually yes, but more importantly in this case, I don't have to pay for it months in advance or deal with Zavvi being the worst online retailer in Britain.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Armored Trooper VOTOMS - 2

So after escaping his captors and enduring torture, Chirico comes across the city of Woodo to...get capture and endure more torture.

I like how Chirico doesn't give a shit about any of this because of all the shit he's already been through. He's basically the progenitor to characters like Sousuke, Heero, or Setsuna.

Damn it. Now I need to get back to VOTOMS, I only got partway through the series.

phaze

[Virgin Soul]
And people dare didn't believe me when I said that
Charioce did nothing wrong.

Tbh, I'm not sure if he is really smart or really stupid. Was the
seal breaking on its own
?
Wasn't it supposed to last for millenia
?

This ancient technology just conveniently left lying around is such an obvious rewrite of part 1 that it hurts.

Kuromukuro - 2

So, I gave this another shot. And honestly, this show is frustrating. REALLY frustrating.

The battle near the end of this episode with the ogres is extremely my shit. The action is choreographed nicely. It's fast paced. Kennosuke and Yukina work really well together and are enjoyable to watch. The OST is exciting.

But oh my goodness the actual mechs themselves look so bad.

I'm sorry. I know I don't shut up about this. But these really are not well-designed robots and it's a major pet peeve of mine when everything else is done so well.

How can I put this, it's like nobody who worked on this knew how to make the mecha look cool. I feel like I've seen these mechs before in other bad CG mecha shows.

I really don't understand why people think I'm crazy for pointing this out.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Kuromukuro is not really about robots fighting each other so I wasn't really wound up about the robots looking bad. It's not like the entire show is a visual wreck either, it picks up the slack in other places that matter more to me.

18If Episode 9 (Engdub)

Partly pervy episode with the guys being transformed to females bodies in this borderline fanservicty girl idol school, and then the torturing Haruto part...weird especially how he escapaed and the white stuff.

Funidub of the songs was amazing.

Alright episode, more nekkid haruto is never bad.

Best smile. I wish we spent more time on his own weaknesses in life.
DJzOMX1UQAARjmm.jpg:small

Qurupeke

Virgin Soul 22

Eeeh. I can't say I'm surprised with Charioce's development. It's a bit disappointing there's literally no explanation for the racism and the genocides, other than "It needed to be done.". Seems extremely lazy and I doubt they're actually going to address them again in the remaining episodes... I mean, even if there was an explanation, it doesn't really make it any better.

Sterok

Made in Abyss 11

We did need something lighthearted after last episode. The Hollow thing briefly made me think Reg was some kind of Hollow, but for some reason I doubt the curse makes machines.

Because when you're enjoying pretty much everything else, that's literally nitpicking. I hope you'll be able to put it behind you and continue watching Kuromukuro for its qualities.

I don't think it's nitpicking when the giant robot's design is the front and center of all that action I mentioned. The giant robot is the one jumping around and slicing up other robots with its sword.

I want to be able to enjoy the giant robot in this show that has a giant robot.

Does it at least get a mid-season upgrade?

Kuromukuro is not really about robots fighting each other so I wasn't really wound up about the robots looking bad. It's not like the entire show is a visual wreck either, it picks up the slack in other places that matter more to me.

Is it really not? It seems like it'll be a big part of the show, at least.

A lot of mecha shows I like may not be "about" the robots fighting each other but how the robots looked in the action involving them is still important.

I don't think I'd have enjoyed Full Metal Panic as much as I did if the Arbalest looked lame.

Altair Record of Battles Episode 10

I really want to read the manga, this episode was compelling just for the sake of the discussion, but also the sneaking into the capital city.

Also those wanted images of Mahmut Bey and everyone with him were amazing.

-

I was surprised when the assassin woman lost again to Mahmut, like shouldnt she have way more years of experience over him?

Gungrave - So, I didn't realize when i first started watching this that Gungrave is an anime based on a Video Game. One minute it feels like a fairly realistic gangster story, the next minute
this new gang leader is leading an army of fucking undead super soldiers.

daveo42

Banned
Virgin Soul 22

Charioce would have benefited from having someone level-headed included during the planning phase of this whole deal. Seems like maybe bringing most of this up with the gods and demons would have avoided years of genocide, hate, death, and pretty much everything else that comes with it. While the Nina/Charioce bits still continue to feel like absolute low points for me, I'm loving the direction the stuff with Jeanne is going and I hope she gets the resolution she deserves after all this is over.

Virgin Soul 22

Eeeh. I can't say I'm surprised with Charioce's development. It's a bit disappointing there's literally no explanation for the racism and the genocides, other than "It needed to be done.". Seems extremely lazy and I doubt they're actually going to address them again in the remaining episodes... I mean, even if there was an explanation, it doesn't really make it any better.

The explanation is probably vengeance against gods and demons being incompetent in stopping the resurrection of Bahamut in the original series. His reasoning is still shit tho.

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket was finally released on Blu-ray in Japan last month. O_O

Any other significant cel animated shows come out this year?

Narag

Altair: A Record of Battles 10
Damn, my boy Mahmut is tired of taking everyone's shit. Whole lot of setup this episode but it felt real good like all the pieces falling into place before a big encounter. Mystery of the Kuluch Sultan (and his identity) being on Mahmut's side in the OP is pretty clear now too and I'm grateful because I've been thinking about it for a while.

fxODBUdl.png
yycWPDll.png

L: TV, R: OP
Next ep preview showing off another uninspired take of a moment from the OP.

Quasar

so I seem to recall someone here maintaining some kind of legendary anime list that included the likes of School Days. I'm looking for that list for reasons. Anyone know what the hell I'm thinking of and where to find it?

Armored Trooper VOTOMS - 2

So after escaping his captors and enduring torture, Chirico comes across the city of Woodo to...get capture and endure more torture.

I like how Chirico doesn't give a shit about any of this because of all the shit he's already been through. He's basically the progenitor to characters like Sousuke, Heero, or Setsuna.

Sousuke, Heero, and Setsuna wish they were 1/4th as bad ass as chirico.

Narag

blurr

Kuromukuro - 2

So, I gave this another shot. And honestly, this show is frustrating. REALLY frustrating.

The battle near the end of this episode with the ogres is extremely my shit. The action is choreographed nicely. It's fast paced. Kennosuke and Yukina work really well together and are enjoyable to watch. The OST is exciting.

But oh my goodness the actual mechs themselves look so bad.

I'm sorry. I know I don't shut up about this. But these really are not well-designed robots and it's a major pet peeve of mine when everything else is done so well.

How can I put this, it's like nobody who worked on this knew how to make the mecha look cool. I feel like I've seen these mechs before in other bad CG mecha shows.

I really don't understand why people think I'm crazy for pointing this out.

It's not all mecha fights, I understand if you're particular about them(although I personally don't reckon they are bad) but try to pay attention to Kennousuke and the rest of the characters. They're quite charming in their own right. The character stories and overarching plot is also well delivered.

daveo42

Banned
Made in Abyss 11

Even with the breather here after last week, this show continues to be info dense and just as dark if not more so with each passing week. The introduction to Mitty by itself was both hard to watch and depressing.

Little Witch Academia 25 (Finale)

That was so goddamn thrilling and awesome!!! I was smiling like an idiot for the entirety of the episode. Damnit Trigger, they did it again. The finale totally delivered.

The show had some mediocre episodes but overall it was extremely charming and delightful. I hope we see more LWA. Maybe some more OVAs down the line.

Narag

My Hero Academia S2 22

Liked the little callbacks like the student rep election or the first fight against Nomu. These were really redundant in the first season but the second has handled them so much better and used them to build upon the first season's foundation. Also appreciated the little touch of Aizawa being a teacher to the end while his peers weren't quite holding back.

blurr

My Hero Academia S2 22

Liked the little callbacks like the student rep election or the first fight against Nomu. These were really redundant in the first season but the second has handled them so much better and used them to build upon the first season's foundation. Also appreciated the little touch of Aizawa being a teacher to the end while his peers weren't quite holding back.

Understandable as a teacher's role but I was kind of disappointed that he held back. Something I wouldn't expect Aizawa to do and I was also kind of hoping for Momo to stand out on her own right than have someone go easy on her(hinting is one thing).

Narag

Understandable as a teacher's role but I was kind of disappointed that he held back. Something I wouldn't expect Aizawa to do and I was also kind of hoping for Momo to stand out on her own right than have someone go easy on her(hinting is one thing).

I've no doubt he would have had he not recognized her current crisis of confidence. It's just an exam in the end and the teachers are there to make their students better heroes, not to crush them so thoroughly that they give up on it as a career.

blurr

I've no doubt he would have had he not recognized her current crisis of confidence. It's just an exam in the end and the teachers are there to make their students better heroes, not to crush them so thoroughly that they give up on it as a career.

True, my comment is more in hindsight of how they handled Uraraka vs Bakugo battle(despite her losing, there's great portrayal overall) and going by the title of the episode itself "Yaoyorozu Rising" - it really set a high bar for me.

Narag

The Eccentric Family S2 8

Ending of the ep got to me. Title was something like Kaisei's secret so I figured she'd be the one afflicted with that particular weakness, never occurred to me it'd be Yasaburo and that's why she always hid herself.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
My Hero Academia Season 2, Episode 23:

Well, if it turns out that Principal Nezu ends up being the ultimate villain of this series I will call it the logical progression of events. Also, Mineta continues to be just the fucking worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom