• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made In Abyss 11

DJ2sWhIUMAEv027.jpg
DJ2sWiSUMAI1rJl.jpg

A friend warned me Nanachi would steal the show when she showed up and boy was he right. I love how pragmatic she is about this whole situation with some doses of dark humor in there as well. Mitty having the voice of a child rather than the voice of the monstrous creature she now is is kinda sad though.

Re:Creators 22 END

Well all around good ending, I wish we did get a Kanoya (Monomagia: Infinte Over Machine Season 2) swimsuit episode, need to see those legs. Im glad he gets to keep his mecha models.

Yuya and Shou still having a good time and sticking together was extremely pleasing, loved Yuya deciding to go back just cause of him.

Everything else was awesome, Im glad the full resolution was given an episode and not just like a 1 minute thing in the previous episode like some series would have done.

Still what of Magane? Did I miss something.

Chase17

Re:Creators 22
Decent wrap up. Thought Meteora was going to beat Sota to print, but it looks like he got to work. Meteora plagiarizing.

Favorite part of the show probably ended up being the scenes of Blitz and his creator.
Re:Creators 22 END

I feel like I missed something too lol.

trejo

If you're already at DiU then you should know by now it's pointless to ask questions and just let yourself be carried away to wherever Araki takes you.

Re:Creators, Completed - This final episode perfectly highlighted both the highs and lows of this series overall. The actual premise of the series is an interesting one; how creations would react if they realized their stories were fictions and they came face-to-face with their creators. Doubly so when you have characters like Celesia, Aliceteria, and Blitz who all dealt with Gutz-esque level of suffering in their respective worlds.

So when it came to the creations have their final heart-to-hearts with their creators here, it was definitely the high point. The problem is all the fucking dry exposition and even this final episode didn't relent from it. Also not helping matters is I feel like too much stuff was packed into this final episode. Much as I enjoyed how they handled the recap episode, the fact that it was pre-planned makes me feel that the ending would've been better without it for the sake of pacing.

Overall, Re:Creators is kind of a mixed bag of a series. There was some high points with the concepts, fight choreography, and OST, but is heavily flawed.

Laiza

Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul - 22

WTF happened to the sound effects?!

A very odd episode overall. Definitely felt rushed with the two-minute backstory. But really, wtf happened with the sound effects?! It's the one thing that really stood out to me. It was really weird having the action on-screen undersold by the sound so badly.

Also, Jeanne's speech was hilariously bad. What happened there? Couldn't be arsed to write more than two lines for that?

I wonder if they were running into production issues with this episode or if things just didn't gel or whatnot. It's really weird how much this episode stands out with regards to the rest of the series.

Still excited for the finale, though!

Hey, after this consensus of the series not being good enough, I have to say episode 11 was much better.

It wasn't full of stills! And even had some sakuga parts!

https://my.mixtape.moe/yacqup.webm
https://my.mixtape.moe/gnbsby.webm

The conclusion of the Arc was well done.
Tatara reaches his limits, in both endurance and skill, but He has a unique charm, and he dances a contagious emotion, so you can see that as promising talent for the future. I like the moment where they announce who wins, you are thinking if Gaju or Tatara... but then the reality plants itself. You silly shonen sports fan, he never had chances of winning for real, he ends 7th. And it's already a good result, given he is a beginner. How Tatara cries explaining how for a moment he thought he could win... heartbreaking.

Of course the queen of the ballroom awards appears of out nowhere to fix things and at least show he was good at focusing on his partner, and that way the competition is won without being too unrealistic.

BTW, watch after the credits, there is a scene.

dgrsPW8.png

Jarmel

Banned
HxH Last Mission-
I enjoyed this movie a lot more. For starters it actually felt like a movie from a production standpoint. The layouts were more interesting, the fight choreography unusual such as the elevator skirmish, the storyboarding used good angles to display motion, and the art direction had a lot more effort put into it.
I only had two complaints. The first is that the composition in the movie is really lackluster at times and detracts from the experience. The second is that the climax is pretty underwhelming and the dialogue was getting too cheesy. Still though, it's not a bad send-off for the anime and characters considering I won't ever see watch them again.

blurr

My Hero Academia 36

Enjoyed this a lot surprisingly, particularly liked Microphone and Jiro battle.

I hope next episode puts Bakugo in his place.

Taruranto

You know Meteora we really are the Re:CREATORS 22

This was... an ending, I guess. I was honestly expecting the show to pull one last twist. Like I was expecting one of the characters to go "How did Altair appear in this world to begin with? What if we are all characters in a story too???" or something.

She flew the country and she's probably running a criminal empire in America or something.

In 2019 Jump will convince Togashi to just let his wife (Sailor Moon's Mangaka) to draw the manga while he writes it. Expect the next season of HxH to be much more Shoujo, and less Killua X Gon BL then HxH 2011.

theres already multiple japanese twitter conspiracy theories that Takeuichi has been helping out on HxH for a long time

this is the page everyone points out. not sure if its true though

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Master of Martial Hearts is a bad boring anime.

Until suddenly it is not.

It's a better experience in some ways than other shocking shows because they don't turn this abruptly.

Rewatching Idolmaster for some reason and I realize one very important thing. CG cars are better than badly drawn cars.

It's always so off-putting.

Also the second half of the first cour was so strong, kind of sad that it took Idolmaster until Chihaya's arc to return to that quality.

Funimation has Black Clover listed as 13 episodes. Could likely just be a placeholder or something though.

That would be incredibly unusual for the Japanese TV timeslot it's airing in, but if that's true then it's more likely that the show will be able to maintain the high production values it has shown in its trailers.

MartyStu

Gamers 10

Intellectually, I understand the reason someone would hate this anime. 'Misunderstanding as plot' is easily my least liked trope in modern media.

That said, this show takes that trope and elevates it to high art. I cannot help but be entertained at the hijinx.

Kickz

Boku no Hero Academia ep 36

Decent ep, with shine for the lesser characters.
My mind is kinda blown at the fact that the rat Principal is actually a rat with super powers rather than a human that transformed into an animal by his powers..

Tsuredure Children 1-4

This is kind of cute. I like all the couples so far except the student council sexual assault president. Their story is kind of gross and not cool at all.

Wonder what happened to the first couple from episode one? Figured they would be one of the mains but haven't seen them since then.

Gamers 10

Intellectually, I understand the reason someone would hate this anime. 'Misunderstanding as plot' is easily my least liked trope in modern media.

That said, this show takes that trope and elevates it to high art. I cannot help but be entertained at the hijinx.

Misunderstandings can actually be some really fun trope in a well executed comedy.

However, what really grinds me gears is how often anime start out setting up some hilarious misunderstandings, like School Rumble or Minami-Ke but then simply do not know where to go anymore and stagnate completely. Often clearing up the misunderstandings would make for a dramatic shift in the character relationships and, oh boy, that's actually a tad demanding on the writer(s)! Can't have that, better keep the status quo even when it doesn't even make the slightest sliver of sense anymore that the misunderstandings still haven't cleared up.

All that cross-dressing stuff in Minami-Ke, which was really fun in the first season, went absolutely nowhere, despite fifty thousand episodes of the one cross-dressing dude wanting to clear it up/tell the truth. Repetition ad absurdum is all I got.

petran79

Banned
With some months delay I watched Flip Fap...Flappers.

That kind of narrative and animation made it the best of the season by far imo. Problem is it does not offer anything new like Abenobashi, Madoka or Penguin Drum. It is just an eclectic mixture of the best elements of the above series. So hype was less. But I like those kind of series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom