• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

blurr

Your Name is similar to 5 Centimeters Per Second as both have long distance relationships as a major theme and the baggage that comes with them. The difference is that Your Name is a more connected story, with some hokey magic and plot conveniences wrapped around it (or inconveniences in some cases.) There's a scene where one of the main character's grandparents tells a folk belief which comes up later in the story, but when that moment comes up, it occurs suddenly and lets the audience know the phenomenon has happened through name dropping. It's something minor, but unfortunately other examples would fall into spoiler territory.

I can't say I felt 5cm/s was exactly on long distance relationship so much as separation in terms of time and space and how it affects a relationship - this is actually not unseen in Makoto Shinkai films besides 5cm/s (see also Voices from a Distant Star).

My major, MAYOR gripe is that it uses amnesia as a plot device. Now anime, as you all know it by now, uses amnesia rather frequently as a storytelling technique. It's a trope that personally bothers me as it usually comes off as lazy storytelling. Its usage in Your Name isn't quite that bad, but it does prolong the story needlessly and relies on things like phones destroying themselves. One example isn't quite the result of amnesia, but it does seem rather similar to it! At one point, one of the main characters goes to look and find a small town he went in the past, except the only thing he knows is the town's appearance. You mean to tell me you've been living there for at least several days, you know what everything looks like but you can't even remember its name?

They do mention/hint that the memories during their exchange are as intact as any dream they have and in that sense it does add up. I will admit you aren't the first to point it out, I personally haven't found it problematic.

My minor gripe is that there are too many montages to show the passage of time. I get it needs them to make the film more compact, but there are about three montages interspersed in the film while some forgettable insert song plays in the background. That's a bit too much for my liking, especially when there are so many cuts in those montages. The characters don't have time to breathe as a result.

I agree with this.

Thud

Gintama 98-99

These episodes were too much lol
In the competition to win a Bentendo owee Katsura bests Kondo in a dataing sim competition

Yamazaki defeats Shinpachi in bland tetris. Dragon Quest goes wrong

RIP the elder.

Episode 100 is quite unforgetable.

So, urr, apparently Kadokawa have decided to remove Kemono Friends director Tatsuki from the anime project going forward, making many a person ponder if anyone at Kadokawa knows what the heck they are doing with the thing.
RIP Kemono Friends S2 New director will probably be an idiot who has no idea what made this show special.

Symphogear AXZ 12

Them shooting the injector shots in Hibiki's ass was totally necessary but absolutely fucking hilarious the jiggle was icing on the cake.
Second best moment wasn't even Hibiki once again saving the day but Tiki fucking up everything by grabbing Adam's leg at the last moment which I fucking knew was going to happen when she didn't die on the previous episode because that's what characters like her always fucking do.

Another great season.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So, urr, apparently Kadokawa have decided to remove Kemono Friends director Tatsuki from the anime project going forward, making many a person ponder if anyone at Kadokawa knows what the heck they are doing with the thing.

They just need to go to a meme generating website and they're good to go.

MH1ow8d.jpg

Boom. Just like that. That's why people liked the show right? Memes! Nothing to do with plot or anything. That would be silly talk.

Theonik

Occam's razor suggests taking a tighter control of the property to squeeze every last bit of money out of it. This is also predicated on believing the fans are morons that would be okay with this.
AKA typical Kadokawa executive think.

Jarmel

Banned
Apparently Index S3 is getting announced soon as well. Someone at Kadokawa fucked up there too and accidentally released some info early.

zulux21

Apparently Index S3 is getting announced soon as well. Someone at Kadokawa fucked up there too and accidentally released some info early.

as I said in the other thread, now for them to just eventually confirm seasons 4-40 or so since the series has a million books to it @_@

zulux21

*has a random thought*

hmmm in 20-30 years when hunter x hunter actually has like 75-100 new chapters to adapt... do you think they redo the entire series again or just continue where 2011 left off?

blurr

*has a random thought*

hmmm in 20-30 years when hunter x hunter actually has like 75-100 new chapters to adapt... do you think they redo the entire series again or just continue where 2011 left off?

Depends on how the visual trends of popular anime change.

DiGiKerot

Actually kind of surprised. I kind of thought its been so long that the crossover movie was the last hurrah.

I mean, there's new actual animated content for the Virtual On game, so clearly someone is doing new Index animation already.

Maybe the announcement will just be that the game is coming with an OAV haha.

Thud

*has a random thought*

Maybe your grandkids will finally see the whole series.

Defuser

Kadokawa just pulled a Konami code. The poor dude pour out all his dedication and efforts from modeling and writing into the show and Kadokawa just fucked him over.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The CEO's son really wanted to direct his favourite animal based show and wouldn't take no for an answer.

DiGiKerot

I suspect Tatsuki asked for the money to hire an eleventh person onto the production staff.

More realistically, I suspect Kadokawa may be wanting to hire a more, errr, "traditional" animation studio for whatever comes next, though it feels like a poison pill for whoever takes it on at this point.

Theonik

I suspect Tatsuki asked for the money to hire an eleventh person onto the production staff.

More realistically, I suspect Kadokawa may be wanting to hire a more, errr, "traditional" animation studio for whatever comes next, though it feels like a poison pill for whoever takes it on at this point.
KyoAnimono Frenzu

zulux21

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Kadokawa want Miyazaki (From software) to direct the dark souls of Kemono Friends anime

Re:Creators end

An alright end to an alright show. The show did meta humor well, the action was nice, but dear lord, METEORA WON'T STOP TALKING. Also has the best recap episode ever.
I guess Magane whereabout is ova/bonus episode material? I want to see her do random stuff. Maybe onsen beach episode where she goes tobecome druglord or war lord or maybe neet.

John Blade

tryIDhP.jpg

NOTE: Notice they're more recent anime discussion on this thread, I guess I will try to go back and watch some older anime show which I hold off for a while and consider to start to watch DNA2 from manga creator, Masakazu Katsura, which I am fan of when I was a young lad.

Well, the story is simple to the point but have issue (but just follow this for now and I will discuss the issue later). You follow a female DNA operator (aka: bounty hunter?) from the future name Karin who mission is to stop a Mega-Playboy who fathered 100 children and led to the overpopulation of the world in the future. She did this by doing time travel (great....this will open up a can of worms) back to the past where this Mega Playboy was a young lad and try to fix this issue but modify the playboy DNA into one which make him less playboy (basically, he don't play around too many girls by either changing his playboy personality, facial......or just make him butt ugly and weaboos and no girl want to date him like average anime fans).

Now, this playboy this Karin is trying to track is actually the main male character you will be following name, Junta. In this present timeline, he is actually not a playboy but just an unusual boy who have an allergic to girls to the point he will vomit when he see a beautiful girl (physical or image). This is just plan weird as this allergic will only trigger toward beautiful girl as he didn't have this issue with average one (How can this an allergic? How?!?).

Junta have a crush with this beautiful girl,Tomoko, who is the equivalent of those popular high school cheerleader who date the popular footballer in the high school and people know about this. Also, she isn't smart as you found out in this episode when she found out her boyfriend cheat on her every time and she can (you know) break up and found another guy (but I guess, she don't know how or hope her boyfriend will eventually understand she is the special one of all the other girls he date........hahahahaha good one). Basically, Junta don't have the chance to get this girl and he found out later in this episode, the whole scene in the beginning is a set up from Tomoko who try to fight back against her current boyfriend (not a good way to found out the true reason of the love of your life here).

The DNA hunter, Karin, found Junta and manage to have a nice talk with him and then shot him....dead (not really, just something about the bullet which go into Junta body but at the tip, they is some sort of chemical which change his DNA gene......this is getting more technical stupid then it should be). She manage to escape and then found out the bullet she shot him with isn't the right one she suppose to use. You found out very soon (as in you got to see the over dramatic romantic scene between Junta and Tomoko where she tell her the real reason why she take her in and the guy act the typical romantic try to make her comfortable which bring this close shot of almost kissing scene) , the one she shot him with is actually the one which trigger Junta from an average man to a Mega-Playboy fucking machine.

Now, as you can see they're issue in some area of this show and you tend to see this in this 1st episode. Let me list what I found issue with right here.

• The idea of this show is they want to change the DNA from Junta from a playboy to average so, he don't fathered 100 children. If DNA hunter have to do this, she could either kill him (the quick simple way to solve this issue people and you found out he was kill in the future because of this so, it won't affect the timeline).
  • Junta allergic to woman. This is dumb idea and it doesn't always work with every woman like I say before (which beg the question if he is actually allergic to woman or just very shy and don't know what to do when in this situation.
  • The idea the DNA hunter, Karin, is the cause of this issue, you wonder if someone at the top realize this and stop her from going back to stop this guy as if she didn't do this mission, they won't have this issue. But if she didn't go into this mission, then why this problem is still current in the future? This is why time travel story don't tend to work as well and you can see this issue. Also, the DNA hunter isn't the smartest of the bunch of DNA hunter in the future.

Overall, a good start point of the show and will see where it goes now the DNA hunter know what she just did and she need to fix this issue and also, a very spicy incident is brewing right now between Junta and Tomoko and her boyfriend.

Some screenshot from the episode.

Wait, how the hell can you say Your Name is basically 5 Centimeters Per Second

That's like saying Princess Mononoke is basically Nausicaa

Or One Piece is basically Dragon Ball

Or Rahxephon is basically Evange- wait that's probably true.

Symphogear AXZ 12

The POTUS authorizes a nuclear strike from a golf course. Biting commentary.

That the other two alchemists didnt actually die is lamer then if they did a father-son kamehameha with Saint-Germain

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
tryIDhP.jpg

Well, the story is simple to the point but have issue (but just follow this for now and I will discuss the issue later). You follow a female DNA operator (aka: bounty hunter?) from the future name Karin who mission is to stop a Mega-Playboy who fathered 100 children and led to the overpopulation of the world in the future. She did this by doing time travel (great....this will open up a can of worms) back to the past where this Mega Playboy was a young lad and try to fix this issue but modify the playboy DNA into one which make him less playboy (basically, he don't play around too many girls by either changing his playboy personality, facial......or just make him butt ugly and weaboos and no girl want to date him like average anime fans).

Now, this playboy this Karin is trying to track is actually the main male character you will be following name, Junta. In this present timeline, he is actually not a playboy but just an unusual boy who have an allergic to girls to the point he will vomit when he see a beautiful girl (physical or image). This is just plan weird as this allergic will only trigger toward beautiful girl as he didn't have this issue with average one (How can this an allergic? How?!?).

Junta have a crush with this beautiful girl,Tomoko, who is the equivalent of those popular high school cheerleader who date the popular footballer in the high school and people know about this. Also, she isn't smart as you found out in this episode when she found out her boyfriend cheat on her every time and she can (you know) break up and found another guy (but I guess, she don't know how or hope her boyfriend will eventually understand she is the special one of all the other girls he date........hahahahaha good one). Basically, Junta don't have the chance to get this girl and he found out later in this episode, the whole scene in the beginning is a set up from Tomoko who try to fight back against her current boyfriend (not a good way to found out the true reason of the love of your life here).

The DNA hunter, Karin, found Junta and manage to have a nice talk with him and then shot him....dead (not really, just something about the bullet which go into Junta body but at the tip, they is some sort of chemical which change his DNA gene......this is getting more technical stupid then it should be). She manage to escape and then found out the bullet she shot him with isn't the right one she suppose to use. You found out very soon (as in you got to see the over dramatic romantic scene between Junta and Tomoko where she tell her the real reason why she take her in and the guy act the typical romantic try to make her comfortable which bring this close shot of almost kissing scene) , the one she shot him with is actually the one which trigger Junta from an average man to a Mega-Playboy fucking machine.

Now, as you can see they're issue in some area of this show and you tend to see this in this 1st episode. Let me list what I found issue with right here.

• The idea of this show is they want to change the DNA from Junta from a playboy to average so, he don't fathered 100 children. If DNA hunter have to do this, she could either kill him (the quick simple way to solve this issue people and you found out he was kill in the future because of this so, it won't affect the timeline).
  • Junta allergic to woman. This is dumb idea and it doesn't always work with every woman like I say before (which beg the question if he is actually allergic to woman or just very shy and don't know what to do when in this situation.
  • The idea the DNA hunter, Karin, is the cause of this issue, you wonder if someone at the top realize this and stop her from going back to stop this guy as if she didn't do this mission, they won't have this issue. But if she didn't go into this mission, then why this problem is still current in the future? This is why time travel story don't tend to work as well and you can see this issue. Also, the DNA hunter isn't the smartest of the bunch of DNA hunter in the future.

Overall, a good start point of the show and will see where it goes now the DNA hunter know what she just did and she need to fix this issue and also, a very spicy incident is brewing right now between Junta and Tomoko and her boyfriend.

Some screenshot from the episode.

I remember watching this show, and well, my impression is not far from you. I finish the show but i don't really remember much of it except for one girl arc that i'm sure you can guess which one in the later episode.

Also,on things that bother me was if they cancel his megaplayboy phase, isn't that technically a genocide since he fathered 100 children and that 100 children fathered a hundred children and on, and on. Which mean it will be time altering of epic proportion. Million of lives literally going to disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom