• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
18if Episode 1 (EngDub)

Finally a good Gonzo anime and of course it had to be a game adaptation. Really like the colors, music, and character design. Plot was intriguing too especially with the wonderland type feel and sleeping beauty disease and a witch.

Definitely in the top 5 of the season.

DELF24kXUAEPNA5.jpg:small
DELF24mWsAA1XZ4.jpg:small

Castlevania Season 1: The Fuckening

When you sit down to watch Castlevania and you're done in like an hour and a half. I keep clicking play next episode. So god damn good. I loved absolutely everything about this. I never played the original titles so I don't know how faithful it is to characters, but Trevor being Not-Geralt of Rivia (aka grizzled badass anti-hero) was fun. Hearing the undertone to an irish/British accent as he says every manner of curse word had me chuckling. It's not often you see that. The dub was amazing. I don't know how good the japanese dub can possibly be when I have all of these beautiful accents. I wasn't in love with the lead lady's VA, but it wasn't bad it just didn't stand out like the rest besides the hispanic accent.

There were some rough patches with the animation, particularly with some running/walking scenes but as a whole? It looked above average. Where it stood out was clearly the battles. It looked choppy in some faster movements in so far as if the frames per second were dipping (no in-between animations I guess?) but the few battle scenes before episode 4 were hype, particularly
the battle against the Cyclops
. Love all of the magical effects.

For this studio's first major work from doing largely game cutscenes, this was really really well done and I am eagerly looking forward to more.

If I had to give one negative is that it ended too quickly and I wanted more, and now I have to wait till the second season comes out :'(

edit: I had to do check IMDB to see if
Alucard
was Liam O'Brien. But no.

zulux21

18if Episode 1 (EngDub)

Finally a good Gonzo anime and of course it had to be a game adaptation. Really like the colors, music, and character design. Plot was intriguing too especially with the wonderland type feel and sleeping beauty disease and a witch.

Definitely in the top 5 of the season.

DELF24kXUAEPNA5.jpg:small
DELF24mWsAA1XZ4.jpg:small

you know, usually when you are talking about awesome character design and what not I can get it, you like sexy guys.

those pictures though, especially the bottom one... reminds me far more of the in between shots of dragon ball super from the early episodes than actual good character design o_O

100% Teacher Pascal Episode 13

Yes its continuing for another season. Best part was easily the transfer student who wasnt opening up to everyone (poor Kanemaru Steeeeeeeve Kun), but the game part was great.

DELKRltV0AA8YN9.jpg:small

you know, usually when you are talking about awesome character design and what not I can get it, you like sexy guys.

those pictures though, especially the bottom one... reminds me far more of the in between shots of dragon ball super from the early episodes than actual good character design o_O

but thats the best they look all episode, :(

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Symphogear 4

Being Tsubasa is suffering.

Reading that What the Heck Happened to Berserk? on animenewsnetwork. Well written stuff.

This part tho...

Berserk started production in the spring of 2015, but it took them until December just to decide how the series should look.

Sheeeeeeeeeit.

Vatican Miracle Examiner

LMAO. This might be my show of the season one episode in.

OP with hilarious over the top visuals and a weird j-rock and church choir combo? Check.

Every song during the episode being an orchestra and having more choir singing? Check.

The show opens with a woman claiming to be the Virgin Mary, and the first thing they check is to see whether she has had
hymen reconstructive surgery
? CHECK.

The show being unapologetically Christian with how much these priests love and talk about religion mythos and Saints with engrish? CHECK.

My brother has cancer and is dying, and instead of cursing God I hold on hope he is testing me like Job and then will cure him? Check pleaaaaaaaaaaaase.

"Something is off, but she didn't appear to be lying" LMAO CHECK.

This show is essentially Supernatural meets Mythbusters meets Sunday Church. It's about two priests who work for the vatican and explore whether so call miracles are real or fake with one having the religious knowledge and the other being the scientific and logical side.

This is amazing. 10/10 apostles because 2 are denying Jesus. More of this, just give me more overbearing choirs in the next episode that drown out dialogue. AOTF.

Altair: A Record of Battles Episode 1

I think it covered a bit too much ground with trying to show what the pasca is, what he can do, and how he can avoid war. Though I did like how since it did that we can get to the much more interesting characters (and eventual KENN).

FLOWER for the ED singers is amazing, great song. Ive missed them since gAGE.

Dave1988

Anyone who is interested in Made in the Abyss should know that unless they water it down significantly, the show will become SUFFERING central later on.

Made In Abyss Episode 1

Nice they brought back the non JPN Norn 9 composer for another anime, his musics are great in this anime.

I wish there was more to the Abyss and the world, beyond just a whole in the world opened and its unexplored, but people moved here, if it had something more of a world ending or post apocalyptic meaning it could have been even better. Also for 1900 years of information, these basic industrial age objects are really all they could develop? Weird.

Maaya Sakamoto is in this, and Ride Mass voice actor too, so Ill stick around.

Nat and Reg best boys.

Jarmel

Banned
Symphogear AXZ-1

Ok I thought this episode was kind of bad. The art was inconsistent and the songs were pretty crap. Just sort of all over the place. Probably the worst opener for a Symphogear show.

The ED(?) song was really good though.

Vatican Miracle Examiner Episode 1

I can do this mystery, really compelling episode 1 though I think they didnt need to keep 1upping aspects and twists to the mystery this much. LIke can we go back to the pregnant women?

Aki-at

Castlevania: 1 - 4

L46afFr.jpg
JlZlwEE.jpg
ozvEZg5.png
46zvmfd.jpg

How to kindly say "fuck off" with a whip.

Enjoyable show, decent action sequences in it and a brilliant opening intro. Definitely recommended but it's a shame we're going to need to wait half a year before we get more of this at the earliest. Hopefully Amazon starts thinking about doing more adult animations, maybe I can finally move on from my crushing anime addiction then.

Jarmel

Banned
Altair-1

Imagine the pacing of Brotherhood but even more incoherent and faster. No effort to establish the characters or settings either. Animation errors already.

Trash.

MartyStu

Penguindrum

Alright guys, I am finally going to do it. I am going to finally try to get through this series.

Maybe even get to Yurikuma Arashi after.

Just T

Little Witch Academia: 6-7

Pretty good episodes. It was good for Akko to see that Chariot had some failures as well but kept working hard. The effort Akko put in to improve her studies might have not worked all the way but it was nice to see her make a serious effort and attain some improvements by the end of the episode, all the while still being her humorous self.

Defuser

Shingeki no Bahamut ep 14

Man Azazel sure got sidelined so much you didn't even see him for the past 4 episodes. I'm curious to see why the emperor is interested in Favarro, it's no coincidence he got jailed in the first place.

JulianImp

Symbolism at it's finest. Have fun!

I really liked Penguindrum, but sort of struggled as I was watching YuriKuma Arashi because there was a stronger emphasis on character development in the former, even on top of all the symbolism. In YKA, however, characters felt pretty flat to me, and I guess there might've been more symbolism there to make up for that or something, but the series as a whole just didn't click with me.

Maybe I'm misguided here, but I suspect whoever did the characters designs for Altair perhaps has some sort of blood vendetta against Mappa animators.

DNAbro

Castlevania Ep 2-4

fuuuuuuuuuck this was so good. I can't believe how much I enjoyed this. Some really awesome action scenes and high quality animation and I absolutely love seeing awful people getting punished for being awful people. Only complaint is that I have to wait for a second season when it was getting so good.

Watch it.

DNAbro

Welcome to the Ballroom Episode 1

How the fuck was he able to dance all night? I'm still curious enough to watch more episodes. Those long ass necks and proportions when dancing is happening though are super off putting.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they're bad designs. I like quite a few of them, but the costumes are so elegant I'm not surprised there animation errors popping up already.

The manga art is extremely elaborate in a way that's difficult to replicate in animation, certainly with the limited resources being allotted to this adaptation.

Vatican - 01 :
Wasn't expecting much from this one but the premise was interesting enough for me to give it a shot. Found the exposition to be a bit heavy handed at times, very bluntly introducing different concepts and people in scenes having nothing to do with what was being introduced. Overall I guess I could say it was ... passable? If the first episode is any indication of what the rest of the series will be like then it seems more like one of those shows that you tune into because you have literally nothing better to watch at the time. You could say it was entertaining but is a show that doesn't do much to make itself stand out, Random as hell sausage eating aside.

Made in Abyss - 01

And pretty much the exact opposite of everything I wrote for Vatican. This show, if the first episode is any indication of how the rest of the series will be, is looking to be one of my easy go-tos for the rest of the season. I loved pretty much everything it had to offer, the art style is vibrant and bright, notable scenes are punctuated by a score that really does enhance a lot of the emotion in any single moment, and there's a distinct level of whimsy and pure adventure here that harkens back to shows like Dennou coil for me. I'm hoping this show is able to follow through.

And both the ending scene and the scene where the opening is playing, wow. There's some serious production values being pumped into this.

DNAbro

18if Episode 1

Well this is the first one i'm dropping. What an annoying MC. Also it feels like the budget can't keep up with the concept, for a "weird" dream place, it somehow also felt generic with little creativity. Kind of reminds me of Flip Flappers except not good.

ibyea

Banned
Tehnolyze: 1
Firstly, I was pleasantly surprised that Juno Reactor did the opening for this show.

Anyways, I have forgotten how weird and mind numbingly slow this show's first episode is. Like most of the episode was just a bore. Not to mention this protagonist is so inert that the sex scene looks like she is fucking a corpse. At least unlike last time when I gave up after the first episode, I halfway understood what was going on, and I think the show is visually interesting. This better be worth it!

Narag

Tehnolyze: 1
Firstly, I was pleasantly surprised that Juno Reactor did the opening for this show.

Anyways, I have forgotten how weird and mind numbingly slow this show's first episode is. Like most of the episode was just a bore. Not to mention this protagonist is so inert that the sex scene looks like she is fucking a corpse. At least unlike last time when I gave up after the first episode, I halfway understood what was going on, and I think the show is visually interesting. This better be worth it!

We used to joke that the first episode was a test meant to weed out bad viewers before the show settles into something more traditional.

Szadek

Knight's & Magic - Ep. 1
What a mess. Was it really nessary to have 2 timeskips in the first episode?
It doesn't help that most of the episosde was expostion.
There supporting cast is also terrible. The MC meets a few people, talks with them for like 30 seconds and I guess they are now best friends?
It's possible that they become best firends during the second time skip, but we will never kniw unless the anime backtracks quite a bit.
The awful monster designs also don't help the show.

Oh yeah, this is also an isekai story. I almost forgot, since it only seems to be an excuse as to why the protaganist is so smart.

Made in Abyss - Ep. 1
This on the other hand was great, even if still unclear where the story goes form here.
Sure, we know that will explore the abyss, but we have no idea what is waiting for us down there.
In any case, this was very good set up episode as well as visual showcase.
The design of the mosnter and the way it moves were very impressive.

phaze

Weirdly enough, Texhnolyze first 6/7 eps are much easier on a rewatch. I guess being more of aware of what's going on and who these people are and where it all leads just helps.

Me with Majin Bone.

What goes around comes around huh ?

Don't worry I watched it !

And dropped it 2/3 eps in.

Penguindrum

Alright guys, I am finally going to do it. I am going to finally try to get through this series.

Maybe even get to Yurikuma Arashi after.

Sixth anniversary of it starting is as good occasion as any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom