• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

I'm way to far behind on symphogear. Are there any action shows that haven't aired that seem interesting.

I'm already reading/watching MHA

Fate is on netflix so I'll check it out in November :V
Uh, looking through the list again there are less action shows left than I thought.

There is Chronos Ruler which looks interesting, but it looks like no one has picked it up?
And Princess Principal maybe?

I dunno, I somehow thought there was more left, but alas.

phaze

Renton sucks.

Brother !

I'm way to far behind on symphogear. Are there any action shows that haven't aired that seem interesting.

I'm already reading/watching MHA

Fate is on netflix so I'll check it out in November :V

Touken Ranbu has a dumb premise but top tier production values. The caveat is that enemies so far are mostly CG and just your dumb mob monsters for now.

Reflection should have some action, other than that there are shows continuing like Boruto (not watching so I can't say how it holds up) and Bahamut.

zulux21

Castlevania episode 2

alright, this one was a bit more interesting and was more fun.

I will sell you on this episode with a few out of context pictures

uSqDeNX.jpg

A7gm5ch.jpg

CJYaVgO.jpg

:p

Szadek

Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul - Ep. 14
Finally a new OP!
Can I have the old one back? This one is super generic and blows.
New ED is strange. Nina is cinderella for some reasons, but there are UFO's and a disco.
WTF?!?! It' still fun, but also very random.

Anyway, it was a rather slow episode, mostly set up and bonding moments between Nina an Jeanne.
The 2 giels have good chemistry and as a result it was a rather pleasant episode.

In the post-credit scene Charioce is doing something somewhere.
Seriously, it's super vague and it makes me wonder why it is even there if it doesn't tell us anything.

Awww YES! Another Your Lie in April fan! Welcome to the club! I agree completely. A really masterful show and
while we all wish for something to happen in a show does not mean the story should do it.
Kaori's death makes the story more meaningful and really drives the point home of living your life to the fullest.
I prefer stories that show the struggles of life and seeing people try to move forward.

Haha thanks. And yeah, exactly.

As I said in the YLiA OT, this might be one of those shows that's actually more emotionally affecting on a rewatch. Scenes like this one, where you can't image how happy and bittersweet she must have felt:

And this one, where you now realize how incredibly important this scene was for her,
since it was basically her only chance to fulfill her dying wish
:

Goddamn this show is a heavy hitter.

phaze

Nobunaga Shinobi is still on going ? I guess I'll put off marathoning it yet still.

Maria Holic 1-7

Pretty standard Shaft comedy that started quite weak, so much that I thought of dropping it even but it has since quite improved making it decent though not much more for now. You get your usual dose of good reaction faces, artstyle changes, self-awareness and good direction or VA work with the somewhat unusual bit of raunchiness and the other hand you also get Shaft being lazy bastards more than I've ever noticed it before. Every single crowd shot is a goddamn still with faceless characters to boot. The premise also leads to some questionable stuff with the titular Maria (you know, I spend years being convinced she's the main character in the show), the show generally does well to balance on that line but it dropped a few times to stuff that was too much for me. Kanako, the actual protagonist, (also, clearly a gender-bent MPR) doesn't so far impress me much and her schtick gets a bit tiring but she's improving along with the show so we shall see

So whats getting positive buzz this season for someone who's more a fan of action/shonen stuff? Is touken ranbu any good seems like my kind of show.

TOuken Ranbu was great, its so much better taking its sci-fi time traveling premise and actually serious story with some cool sword action. Dont understand the hate.

Knight's & Magic is the surprise of the season. Best fantasy.

DIVE!! is a must watch.

zulux21

Castlevania fin

it's very easy to see what season 2 is going to cover.
and it should be a lot of fun.

as a nice quick watch this isn't bad, and if you don't mind gory stuff you should likely watch it.

either way it is a bit of a shame it was released as 4 episodes instead of a movie.
if it was a movie I could likely claim it was the best video game movie out there.
not a high bar but still lol.

Hopeford

Wait what. There's a new Tylor series? "The Irresponsible Galaxy Tylor"?

Irresponsible Captain Tylor might be one of my favorite animes ever. How. When. This is the best news I haven't heard of.

...It's not getting subbed anywhere is it.

Narag

Irresponsible Captain Tylor might be one of my favorite animes ever. How. When. This is the best news I haven't heard of.

I assume we'll know closer to its air date.

Gero

Haha thanks. And yeah, exactly.

As I said in the YLiA OT, this might be one of those shows that's actually more emotionally affecting on a rewatch. Scenes like this one, where you can't image how happy and bittersweet she must have felt:

And this one, where you now realize how incredibly important this scene was for her,
since it was basically her only chance to fulfill her dying wish
:

Goddamn this show is a heavy hitter.

I love Kaori. I legit cried so much when it happened. I still rewatch every now and again.

This is a spinoff series of shorts featuring a different cast of characters from the original; I would be cautious about expecting it to replicate what you loved about Irresponsible Captain Tylor.

Hopeford

This is a spinoff series of shorts featuring a different cast of characters from the original; I would be cautious about expecting it to replicate what you loved about Irresponsible Captain Tylor.

Aw...still, I'll give it a shot.

It can't be worse than the OVAs.

(I'll quote myself after the first episode airs)

If the past is anything to go by, some stuff won't get announced until day of for whatever reason.

I see, thanks! I'll keep on hoping it gets announced to some service I can subscribe to then.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Welcome to the Ballroom Episode 1:

Well, this was certainly a strong enough first episode minus some production value issues, as still shots are still shots not matter how much they wish otherwise. Still, there is something about this that isn't quite clicking and I am thinking it is currently the rather paint by numbers set up.

JulianImp

Not knowing whether Tyler was a strategic mastermind or just a lazy bum with awfully good luck was really fun back then, but I don't think it'd work the same way a second time (even less so if the kid's actually related to him). It was nice how he was basically promoted to a place where he was supposedly going to be unable to do anything, and yet he ended up winning over the daughter of mankind's enemies, and even managed to put an end to the war (I think I remember an episde where both the human and alien fleets were about to start a war with their fleets charging at each other, and Tylor was in charge of the attack adn never ordered his fleet to fire at all, finally defusing the tense relations between both factions... or something).

However, I'd keep expectations in check if I were you, since a middle-school-age boy and girl are apparently going to be the show's protagonists, which is a bit weird and will probably take the comedy into a different direction than having an adult protagonist.

Made in Abyss looks really pretty and most people are never gonna watch it.

...I'M MAD!

*throws chair*

I think a number of people are put off from watching it due to the rumors that have been swirling regarding the manga's content, not to mention the accessibility issue due to Sentai/Amazon licensing. It is a very pretty show that I will be watching though.

zulux21

I think a number of people are put off from watching it due to the rumors that have been swirling regarding the manga's content, not to mention the accessibility issue due to Sentai/Amazon licensing. It is a very pretty show that I will be watching though.

I'm currently watching more important things with my wife.
such as dragon ball and jojo :p

Tuck

Castlevania - 1-4
This wasn't really a season, it was a prologue. But a good one. Some of the characters were hard to hear on occasion, but the art and animation was mostly great, and I like Trevor.

Looking forward to more, though i wish season 2 got a full 12-13 episode order, not 8.

zulux21

Castlevania - 1-4
This wasn't really a season, it was a prologue. But a good one. Some of the characters were hard to hear on occasion, but the art and animation was mostly great, and I like Trevor.

Looking forward to more, though i wish season 2 got a full 12-13 episode order, not 8.

season 2 did basically get a full 12-13 episode order.

anime tv run length 20 min after you remove the opening and ending.
castlevania will be 25-30 min episodes. if they all are around 30 it will be the same run length as a 12 episode series.

beyond that though.... wanting a certain episode length for something like this is just stupid.
on a tv run you have to have so many episodes to fill the schedule. here though it's just a netflix release. it should only have as many episodes as it needs to tell the story it wants to tell. increasing it to 12-13 just to have 12-13 is just not smart in general. it would weaken the storyline and cost more money to produce. thus 8 is just fine.

Tuck

season 2 did basically get a full 12-13 episode order.

anime tv run length 20 min after you remove the opening and ending.
castlevania will be 25-30 min episodes. if they all are around 30 it will be the same run length as a 12 episode series.

beyond that though.... wanting a certain episode length for something like this is just stupid.
on a tv run you have to have so many episodes to fill the schedule. here though it's just a netflix release. it should only have as many episodes as it needs to tell the story it wants to tell. increasing it to 12-13 just to have 12-13 is just not smart in general. it would weaken the storyline and cost more money to produce. thus 8 is just fine.
This is true, but the reverse might also be true; that is, a show only getting 8 episodes but needing more to tell the story they wanted to tell. Thus it depends on whether Netflix was only willing to give 8 episodes, or if the writers only needed 8 episodes.

Though I have not watched it, I did see some posts saying the new samurai jack season, at ten episodes, felt too short and things seemed rushed towards the end.

Of course the counter to that argument is that a good writer will know how to tell a proper story in the time allotted to them.

You're not wrong, on both accounts. That said, I mainly just meant "I like the thing so I want more of the thing"

jbug617

Banned
Welcome to the Ballroom 1

I wish there was more info about the MC and his lack of motivation. That will probably be answered later on.

Jintor

uhhh i just logged onto my crunchyroll account for the first time in a while and someone that wasn't me or my brother has watched 40 episodes of dragon ball super on it

uhhhhhhhhhhh

uhhh i just logged onto my crunchyroll account for the first time in a while and someone that wasn't me or my brother has watched 40 episodes of dragon ball super on it

uhhhhhhhhhhh
Did your brother give your account to a friend? Or did you and you don't remember? I don't think hackers are getting crunchyroll accounts. They aren't even valuable anymore what with Netflix and Anime strike

zulux21

uhhhhhhhhhhh

I recently got my email address has been changed for playasia.

I haven't ever ordered anything off the site so I am not worried, I will just have to make a new one but still lol.

aka stronger passwords are a must in this day and age.

Jintor

tsuredure Children 1

this was comfortable, though pres and yankee was a bit creepier than i remember

probably good listening practice if i can find the time

e_i

Made in Abyss episode 1

Is this a JRPG that got made into an anime?

Aho Girl episode 1

I think I lost brain cells watching this. Hopefully, they'll introduce new characters to balance out the MC.

Well, this season is starting out like crap for me. I know that New Game season will be my savior so there's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom