• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

danowat

Banned
So I've been messing with the new weapons.

Shield Buddy - doesn't last long but once you start to remember how long the shield lasts you can deploy it and melee kill the bigger enemies in the game.

Plague Bomb - fun in large groups, should be useful in Chaos Squad, the way it makes enemies shine red kinda kills the vomit effect visual, gets lost in the bright red light

Multi-lock Rocket Launcher - probably my favorite of the new ones, just satisfying to sweep your reticle around and with a couple rounds clear out large herds of OD. I need to try attaching the amp that spawns rockets from killed enemies...

Rager - like the Plague bomb it should be more useful in Chaos Squad, works like advertised though, same red highlighting as the plague bomb, Seemed to take a few shots to work on some larger OD? Need to try it out more.

Shield Buddy resets charge if you super jump or dodge roll + jump, which is a little annoying. You need to make sure your weapons shows back up on screen before depressing after other movements or you'll have to restart the charge.

The multi-lock rocket launcher looses locked targets if you super jump, change directions on a rail or grind wire, change from grind to undergrind, or air dash making it more annoying but as there is often times so many enemies on screen the times you need to carry over targets would be few and far between.

Hilariously, now the "New" tag on the weapons hasn't gone away despite using all new weapons.

Agreed, the multi-lock is the best of the bunch, the other three weapons are a bit "meh"

And I know I keep banging on about it but VIBRATING CONTROLLER BUG FFS!!!!

I love all the new weapons. My favorite is the shield gun... I finally got that propain launcher too in chaos squad... I'm glad insomniac is giving players a good reason to jump back in I just wish chaos squad was done a bit better... I'm tired of doing the same challenges over and over and I'd personally love a challenge that just involved racing from one End of the map to the next.

Anyways I voted last night and noticed there was over 100k votes which to me indicates there is a fairly healthy player base here.

I'm really fucking hoping for a sequel because I can't even remember the last time I had this much fun with a game.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Anyways I voted last night and noticed there was over 100k votes which to me indicates there is a fairly healthy player base here. .

I think you can juice your vote by completing personal challenges and getting extra points to vote with.

Not sure that is the number of people who voted.

Also, I'm going to ban everyone who votes for Buck national.

In case that wasn't already clear.

I think you can juice your vote by completing personal challenges and getting extra points to vote with.

Not sure that is the number of people who voted.

Also, I'm going to ban everyone who votes for Buck national.

In case that wasn't already clear.

He has funner clothes tho

:(

Coconut

Banned
I love all the new weapons. My favorite is the shield gun... I finally got that propain launcher too in chaos squad... I'm glad insomniac is giving players a good reason to jump back in I just wish chaos squad was done a bit better... I'm tired of doing the same challenges over and over and I'd personally love a challenge that just involved racing from one End of the map to the next.

Anyways I voted last night and noticed there was over 100k votes which to me indicates there is a fairly healthy player base here.

I'm really fucking hoping for a sequel because I can't even remember the last time I had this much fun with a game.

From my time with the game the problem with Chaos Squad is that it lives up to it's name, sometimes it's a little TOO chaotic and it seems like enemies don't spawn at a number large enough to accommodate 8 people in certain mission scenarios, such as the ones where they ask individuals to do 15 grind kills, 10 bounce kills, ETC. the missions when all of you are working together to create as much destruction as possible are always the best.

klodeckel

Banned
HELP PLS!

Downloaded and installed Weapon Pack. Started game (no update required?), went to Jack. No new weapons. I am doing something wrong, ya?

*UPDATE*
Found them! :D Already in the inventory - awesome :D

malfcn

Can you buy all the amps in the game? Doesn't look like enough resources unless I'm slow today.

On second look I think I can.

16BitNova

Am I missing something?

So I'm at the point were you meet the Day of the Dead ladies and Floyd keeps saying something about going on a mission for him to see his future self and how the future fort turned out. I was hoping to play some cool time traveling type of mission but nothing of the sort is on my map.
I did all the side quests and everything to clear out my map. Am I missing something here?

tuna_love

Banned
Am I missing something?

So I'm at the point were you meet the Day of the Dead ladies and Floyd keeps saying something about going on a mission for him to see his future self and how the future fort turned out. I was hoping to play some cool time traveling type of mission but nothing of the sort is on my map.
I did all the side quests and everything to clear out my map. Am I missing something here?
Just keep doing main missions.

Montresor

jstevenson or another Insomniac employee, what are the individual requirements for someone to get a community challenge?

For example, for this one: Kill 7.5million herkers (or 250,000 herkers, whatever the amount is): http://www.trueachievements.com/a195605/community-challenge-herker-apocalypse-challenge.htm

Do I have to even play the game to get the challenge? This is coming from someone that has already played and beaten the game (and put in 30+ hours). Do I have to kill at least one herker? What happens if from before the challenge starts and until after the challenge ends I never launch Sunset Overdrive? Is it possible to have the challenge simply fall into my lap based off of other players grinding the herker kills while I never even launch the game?

16BitNova

Just keep doing main missions.

Okay so I beat the game and all the side quests. Loved it by the way. Most fun I've had with a videogame in a long time.

However the "mission" I was talking about never came up. Was it just something that was said or did I not get some side mission. Again what I'm talking about is
Around the time you meet the day of the dead ladies, Floyd was saying he has a favor to ask and said he wants me to go see his future self and check out the future fort he built to tell him how it ended up.
I never got such mission.

Teggy

Okay so I beat the game and all the side quests. Loved it by the way. Most fun I've had with a videogame in a long time.

However the "mission" I was talking about never came up. Was it just something that was said or did I not get some side mission. Again what I'm talking about is
Around the time you meet the day of the dead ladies, Floyd was saying he has a favor to ask and said he wants me to go see his future self and check out the future fort he built to tell him how it ended up.

It's just a joke about how regardless which fort you go to, he's always there.

I don't have gold, unfortunately, so no multiplayer for me.
What are my options on single player?

Probably just playing the getting the band back together mission, there's a part in that mission that has endless waves of enemies... Attach an extra overdrive amp to a weapon and kill kill kill.

Footos22

jstevenson or another Insomniac employee, what are the individual requirements for someone to get a community challenge?

For example, for this one: Kill 7.5million herkers (or 250,000 herkers, whatever the amount is): http://www.trueachievements.com/a195605/community-challenge-herker-apocalypse-challenge.htm

Do I have to even play the game to get the challenge? This is coming from someone that has already played and beaten the game (and put in 30+ hours). Do I have to kill at least one herker? What happens if from before the challenge starts and until after the challenge ends I never launch Sunset Overdrive? Is it possible to have the challenge simply fall into my lap based off of other players grinding the herker kills while I never even launch the game?

Man yoi take ocd to a new level. Challenges are the most pointless thing xbox has ever done.

Montresor

Man yoi take ocd to a new level. Challenges are the most pointless thing xbox has ever done.

Agreed lol. I don't like challenges very much. But it's possible you're misunderstanding the point of my post.

I fully intend to put a minimum amount of effort into the community challenges. But I am wondering if I will still be rewarded regardless of that non-effort.

Would we really earn the challenges even if we don't play the game at all during the challenge period? They are "community" challenges after all. Do they simply make sure that the community has hit the challenge goal and then give everyone the challenge like that, even if someone beat the game in launch week and then never played the game again?

malfcn

Finally beat it. That ending and reference was hilarious. Even my wife looked at me and laughed.

I think I played it for roughly 24 hours. Somehow it felt short or light on story content. The traversal was fun. The style and humor felt just right. The music was slightly boring after awhile.

On a scale I'd say a 8-8.5, recommended.

Find they payphone in the park?
There is no way point.
Fast traveled and is gone.. Weird.

e90Mark

Just beat this game last night. Very fun game, and I'm glad I got the SO bundle. This game was kinda under my radar since I was so heavily invested in my PS4, but this may be my GOTY.

Final boss fight was pretty cool. Gonna have to go back and do the side missions and what not.

Ended up buying the charge beam and it just rips through everything, haha.

Finished this last night, amazing experience. This game was a complete package. Great visuals, soundtrack, gameplay, controls. For a game with so much traversal options they nailed the controls. I loved this game from start to finish, my game of the year. Thank you insomniac.

Am I crazy or does the Downtown Chaos Squad mission need some serious rebalancing? I'm having a miserable time trying to get this last Chaos Squad achievement, between people just idling for free spins, doing no damage to the Wingers that appear in the dozens because you can't kill them fast enough, and getting 1624% instead of 1625% I need to even try to get the achievement. It's awful.

danowat

Banned
Something I've noticed, what's the white ring, that appears to be very, very gradually filling up, outside on the 'badge' notifications?

Ramenman

Sooo about that pro-pain launcher, I heard it drops more frequently now, do I have the same % chance to get it on every chaos squad location ? Or more chance when playing hardest difficulty ie downtown ?

Just wondering.

Having a blast with the max level Shocker, and it's true that twist of fate is a great amp for the helicopter turrets. Also, hairspray bomb made me realize how actually surprisingly few weapons create satisfying ragdoll kills in this game. With hairspray bomb, OD corpses are gloriously flying around !

My younger brother was staying over for Thanksgiving weekend, and he decided to try out Sunset Overdrive. He ended up playing through the entire main story, along with some challenges and quests, in one sitting. He said that he thought that it was really good, and now he plans to get an Xbox One just because of it. The power of Sunset Overdrive, man!

Krilekk

Banned
40 hours in, all collectibles and several hours of Chaos Squad. Still enjoying moving through the world. But I really miss the Vanity pack. Oh well, no free DLC for me, no paid DLC for you, Microsoft.

Liamc723

So I've just met Sam and his friends, and honestly I'm not really feeling this.

I like the colour, movement on railings is cool, the humour is okay I guess, but that's about it really.

Should I give the game more of a chance? Is there something big coming up that might get me into the swing of things?

I like the colour, movement on railings is cool, the humour is okay I guess, but that's about it really.

Should I give the game more of a chance? Is there something big coming up that might get me into the swing of things?

Get air dash. It drastically changes your movement. Which is a bid deal in this game. And fun.

Footos22

Am I crazy or does the Downtown Chaos Squad mission need some serious rebalancing? I'm having a miserable time trying to get this last Chaos Squad achievement, between people just idling for free spins, doing no damage to the Wingers that appear in the dozens because you can't kill them fast enough, and getting 1624% instead of 1625% I need to even try to get the achievement. It's awful.

Yeah. I gave up on it in the end and left my cheevos at 97% really not worth the hassle. Downtown chaos squad is a clusterfuck as it is anyway. They need to.lower the chaos needed. All the others were easy first time things. And downtown is all rng you get enough chaos. Which is hardly ever. And when you finally do no one talks and you fail the night defense.

Sam? You've only just started, there's a lot more to the game than what you've seen up to this point. More weapons and movement options you get further down the line make the game far more enjoyable, so I'd say stick around.

So GAF, take a look here: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/06/meet-the-cast-of-the-xbox-one-exclusive-sunset-overdrive

Specifically, this:
charactersjpg-a2a14c_610w.jpg

Floyd was supposed to be mayor? Or the mayor was cut and his likeness recycled? Chet Fisher was mentioned in the ARG I think but it would seem he was going to play a bigger role in the game by having a character model. Wendy has a very different appearance. I do believe Reggie is still in the game but not a key character.

Published in May. I wonder how SO looked then in comparison to the final release.

Yeah. I gave up on it in the end and left my cheevos at 97% really not worth the hassle. Downtown chaos squad is a clusterfuck as it is anyway. They need to.lower the chaos needed. All the others were easy first time things. And downtown is all rng you get enough chaos. Which is hardly ever. And when you finally do no one talks and you fail the night defense.

It's almost entirely luck. I must have played like a dozen failed games before I got it this morning. With it, I got my 1000/1000. Pretty easily my game of the year so far; can't wait for the DLC (hopefully it's substantial stuff). I still need to play Shadow of Mordor and South Park, but those games aren't catered to my tastes anywhere near as much as this game is.

Krilekk

Banned
So GAF, take a look here: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/06/meet-the-cast-of-the-xbox-one-exclusive-sunset-overdrive

Specifically, this:
charactersjpg-a2a14c_610w.jpg

Floyd was supposed to be mayor? Or the mayor was cut and his likeness recycled? Chet Fisher was mentioned in the ARG I think but it would seem he was going to play a bigger role in the game by having a character model. Wendy has a very different appearance. I do believe Reggie is still in the game but not a key character.

Published in May. I wonder how SO looked then in comparison to the final release.

It always saddens me to see how much stuff in games is cut in the last half year to make the release date and get the right level of polish.

MCD

Imagine Mega Man X without dashing and wall bouncing.

That's where you are now. Don't stop.

Ramenman

It always saddens me to see how much stuff in games is cut in the last half year to make the release date and get the right level of polish.

Sometimes things are just cut because they don't work (or end up not being needed/not fitting anywhere due to changes in overall direction etc). It's not always time and money.

I agree it's always weird to see how much of a game ends up not existing, but it's not always "sad" :)

He's talking about the fort he built on the center (the last one where
the rock concert happens.

This is just a joke. He's telling you now that when you see that fort in the future he goes out turned out as cool as he was expecting.

d1rtn4p

Welp, XBOX One will be here in a couple of days and I need something to play with it. Think I'm going to jump on this for $49.99, although I was hoping it would go back down to 39.99. But I'm probably just being greedy :)

Top Bottom