• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

dralla

Finished all the trials yesterday. About 50% of the way there on collectables.

Started forcing myself to use unloved weapons to get more of them up to level 5.

Still, no luck in Chaos Squad. The gods hate me. All I get are clothes. No amp level 2s, no weapons. I'm getting all of the spins to unlock too :(

Even when you get Boost weapons, they don't last forever. I noticed mine have reverted back to their regular variations. So the only rewards worth getting in CS are amps, and maybe clothes if there's some nice looking stuff. Which I have not gotten yet. It's difficult for me to get into CS, it seems like not a lot of people are playing it. I can only find games at certain times, peak times.

I started messing with weapons I don't like to try and level them up too. Some of them I ended up liking more because of it (charge beam, taunt bot)), others I won't even bother with, like the AK or High Fidelity or the Fizzbot Rifle. Some are very easy to level up (pulse rifle), some take forever (taunt bot).

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I get into games super easy.

Is your NAT Open?

After doing a full reboot of my Xbox i was able to find a game in like 2 seconds.
Checked my NAT its was limited....i dont know what the heck happened.
As long as i can play im happy.......sometimes my NAT says open other times it say limited, and im not sure whats causing it to switch.

Krilekk

Banned
Still waiting for that Vanity pack. Grml.

I think it's amazing that people's weapon choices are so different. I hate the pistol. I love the Roman Candle, it rips through everything. I despise the Shorty Shotty. I love the Murderang.

But I'm not sold yet on the weapons DLC, it seems like it's just variations of existing guns/gun+amp combos. I'd like something more different like a black hole gun, a whack-a-mole hammer, a net gun that shoots razor sharp steel nets, a giant propeller like gun, a quadruple shotgun that shoots fireballs, a glew gun that sticks enemies to walls, a lightning gun that shoots little antennas on enemies and turns them into lightning bolts, a bouncer that makes everything you hit bounce.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Just realized the insane amount of overdrive farming I'm going to need to do to get the rest of those collectable maps. I have about 50% or better of all the various currencies, but relatively few of the maps.

Oh well, good to level up these weapons on I suppose.

Also, I would like to thank Insomniac Games for putting little elevation indicators on the map for collectibles.

Not that I mind (as matrixman was kind enough to send me his code), but I still haven't received the vanity items,

Fair to say that if anyone hasn't received a code by now they won't be receiving it? Pretty disappointing if that's the case, some info on what exactly the selection process is would be nice...

THEF3AR

Not that I mind (as matrixman was kind enough to send me his code), but I still haven't received the vanity items,

Fair to say that if anyone hasn't received a code by now they won't be receiving it? Pretty disappointing if that's the case, some info on what exactly the selection process is would be nice...

Really? That's sucks. I'm assuming you've been playing since day 1. I got my code when the first started sending them.

Though I've never received an Xbox gift for Xbox One's BDay and I've owned one since January of this year.

I didn't get a code. Bit confused as to why but no big deal. I would rather they just put stuff like that on the store in future.

Really? That's sucks. I'm assuming you've been playing since day 1. I got my code when the first started sending them.

Though I've never received an Xbox gift for Xbox One's BDay and I've owned one since January of this year.

Yeah, actually bought the game a couple of days before release (lucked at a HMV, paid more than I would have liked, but it was totally worth it), but still nothing.

It's cool as I got a code from a a Gaffer, but I thought I'd bring it up as I was going to pay the code forward.

I didn't get a code. Bit confused as to why but no big deal. I would rather they just put stuff like that on the store in future.

Yeah, this seems the more logical thing to do going forward.

Hopefully JSteve or one of the developers can chime in and let us know what's happening.

mollipen

Roman candle is pretty much worthless outside of normal od.

What? No. I usually main the roman candle, and I can tear through almost anything in the game with it outside of the super-big OD. I usually switch to the Dirty Harry for FizzCo robots, but even them I'll take on with the roman candle.

Easy my favorite weapon in the game, and one of the ones I find the most versatile.

Kill3r7

What? No. I usually main the roman candle, and I can tear through almost anything in the game with it outside of the super-big OD. I usually switch to the Dirty Harry for FizzCo robots, but even them I'll take on with the roman candle.

Easy my favorite weapon in the game, and one of the ones I find the most versatile.

Murderang is what you want to quickly and efficiently eradicate FizzCo Robots.

Roman candle is pretty much worthless outside of normal od.

Better off with flaming compenstaor to set on fire then dirty harry for mega damage.

those wingers drop like flies with dirty harry.
Hell it the only combo the game tells you about in game. And its the most useful.

Ah man, you're crazy. R.C is easily one of the most useful weapons in the game. Especially at max level with the recycler amp. So good.

This guy knows what's up.

Obscured

Really?
That's sucks. I'm assuming you've been playing since day 1. I got my code when the first started sending them.

Same for me. I got the code for the vanity items, by nothing for the bday and I picked mine up at launch. With my luck I'd probably just get a background so I'm not that upset about it, but it would still have been cool to get.

So, was looking through the achievements and I noticed that a side quest related to learning the truth behind Fizzco hasn't activated. What gives?

Also noticed one related to taking back the streets, but there aren't any side quests left. Have I already done the side quests and the achievements haven't popped or what?

RBK

Banned
Just to ask, but no free DLC outside of the pre-orders and the ones from giveaways?

Haven't got around to buying the Season Pass yet, probably will when the first story DLC is released.

So, was looking through the achievements and I noticed that a side quest related to learning the truth behind Fizzco hasn't activated. What gives?

Also noticed one related to taking back the streets, but there aren't any side quests left. Have I already done the side quests and the achievements haven't popped or what?
What percentage are you at on it? I know that mission was glitched for me and the side quests never appeared. I wrote about it on their forums and there is a fix coming.

Well, finally did something I thought I'd never do: bought an Xbox One and the Sunset Overdrive bundle. Game seems nice. only started but the movement feels great. Also like the cartoonish art style, fits the game perfectly.

Have to say that coming from PS4 and hearing all the bad things about the One, it's a really pleasant system. I'm not crazy about the windows-like interface, but the machine itself feels top notch. Much better than the 360 in that department. Controller is great and it is super quiet. I did have my PS4 vertical, so maybe that's what influenced the fan noise.

On that note, does anyone know a video that would work as a how-to guide for the Xbox One interface? I'm totally lost in it. How do you shut down the game, for example? Does it just stay open in the background until you close the machine or how does it work?

StoOgE

So,

What's the best way to farm Overdrive?

I got all the security cameras, but I need to buy some maps for the other goodies. I'm still working on the blimp and supply drop achievments so right now I'm randomly picking up collectables as I see them, but that's going to end soon.

It's really odd how much I still like just moving around the city. I've actually bought a couple of games I really have wanted to play (Tomb Raider, Rayman), but have shelved them in favor of collectathoning these guys and playing Chaos Squad.

Still can't hit my role for weapons or amps on Chaos Squad. It's like the stupid Cryptarch followed me. >:|

Fuchsdh

So,

I got all the security cameras, but I need to buy some maps for the other goodies. I'm still working on the blimp and supply drop achievments so right now I'm randomly picking up collectables as I see them, but that's going to end soon.

It's really odd how much I still like just moving around the city. I've actually bought a couple of games I really have wanted to play (Tomb Raider, Rayman), but have shelved them in favor of collectathoning these guys and playing Chaos Squad.

Still can't hit my role for weapons or amps on Chaos Squad. It's like the stupid Cryptarch followed me. >:|

Getting gold on challenges nets you 1000-2000 overcharge. If you still need to get Buck's Ep 3 achievement, that's a good place to farm up too (I got about 5000 overcharge for beating the Insomniac score.)

Using badges that let you refill ammo per shots fired + OD damage + Hairspray gun decimates that challenge.

StoOgE

Getting gold on challenges nets you 1000-2000 overcharge. If you still need to get Buck's Ep 3 achievement, that's a good place to farm up too (I got about 5000 overcharge for beating the Insomniac score.)

Using badges that let you refill ammo per shots fired + OD damage + Hairspray gun decimates that challenge.

I finished off all the challenges already, I think replaying them just gets you cash money.

I need like ~75K overcharge to get all these maps :/

I don't know what I did to all my overcharge. I Seem to have spent it on something dumb.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I will likely be getting an XB1 in the next few weeks, would you guys consider this game essential? I will only be getting 1 game with it and I want it to be an exclusive.

StoOgE

I will likely be getting an XB1 in the next few weeks, would you guys consider this game essential? I will only be getting 1 game with it and I want it to be an exclusive.

I would get this game to start.

Titanfall is fantastic, but that community is struggling. MCC has issues. Forza 2 is beloved also.

But this is a game that doesn't really exist anywhere else, so I would strongly suggest starting here.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I would get this game to start.

Titanfall is fantastic, but that community is struggling. MCC has issues. Forza 2 is beloved also.

But this is a game that doesn't really exist anywhere else, so I would strongly suggest starting here.

Best new IP of this gen, so yeah, go for it.

Thanks, this will be top of the list so. If it's half as good as Resistance 3 (the best shooter of last gen imo) then I will be really happy.

Toppot

I finished off all the challenges already, I think replaying them just gets you cash money.

I don't know what I did to all my overcharge. I Seem to have spent it on something dumb.

The maps are meant to be extra, the story + challenges don't give you enough OverCharge.

This is the best way to farm as far as I know, spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgzEM2FjhnA

Redo the last mission (A Heroes [Something]), help 4kim and then on the way to Sam go to the red bridge on the way (With the blue grind rails in the middle). Use whatever weapon (Murderang recommended) up and down the bridge killing the respawning enemies. Use the Amp which gives you extra OverCharge (Ideally Level 2 Amp from playing online.) You will then rack up thousands of OverCharge and lots of cash .If you are running out of ammo for your chosen gun, just swap the amp for the one which drops ammo for a few seconds till you get full ammo again, then switch back to the other Amp. It takes some time but it is the best alternative to doing Night Defence online and hoping to get an OverCharge roll.

Well, finally did something I thought I'd never do: bought an Xbox One and the Sunset Overdrive bundle. Game seems nice. only started but the movement feels great. Also like the cartoonish art style, fits the game perfectly.

Have to say that coming from PS4 and hearing all the bad things about the One, it's a really pleasant system. I'm not crazy about the windows-like interface, but the machine itself feels top notch. Much better than the 360 in that department. Controller is great and it is super quiet. I did have my PS4 vertical, so maybe that's what influenced the fan noise.

On that note, does anyone know a video that would work as a how-to guide for the Xbox One interface? I'm totally lost in it. How do you shut down the game, for example? Does it just stay open in the background until you close the machine or how does it work?

Congrats! You should be picking up Forza Horizon 2 if you are remotely interested in racing or cars!

To completely close an application, hit the Xbox guide button (the big round shiny one) and you'll return to the Home screen. Press the menu button to the right of the guide button (where the start button used to be) and you'll get a box with some options, from here you can close the application.

However, you'll be best off setting the console under options to be in instant on mode. It's really nice to simply turn on the Xbox One and continue straight where you left off in the game, without loading up the game again.

Double tapping the Xbox Guide button ingame gives you some neat quick menues which you steer with your left stick. You can for instance snap in an application on the right side of your screen, like the achievement list or youtube to check out a guide for example. Simply repeat this to unsnap the application.

You don't really need to shut down games, you can use all the other applications without doing so, booting up another game though will of course end a game being played.

Hope that helped a bit!

Edit: Oh and to your left on the home screen is the Pins screen, you can press the menu button on icons for Achivements, games, blu-ray player, youtube, Netflix etc. and choose to pin to this screen. Doing so will make your own list of Pins with your favourite applications and games.

danowat

Banned
However, you'll be best of setting the console under options to be in instant on mode. It's really nice to simply turn on the Xbox One and continue straight where you left off in the game, without loading up the game again.

Is there anywhere that details the power consumption of both modes?, as I am a bit of a skin-flint, I have mine set to off so I don't waste leccy!

Is there anywhere that details the power consumption of both modes?, as I am a bit of a skin-flint, I have mine set to off so I don't waste leccy!

I think they use a fairly small amount in standy, check this article, you'll have to work out what those watts in standby work out in say a month off your electricity bill:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/05/20/nearly-half-of-xbox-one-and-ps4-power-consumption-occurs-in-standby/

To be honest though, standby mode is only for the benefit of not loading up a game each time you boot and getting updates installed while you are out of the house, resulting in not having to wait when you are about to play. If those factors don't bother you, then you can save something on completely shutting it down I guess!

clockpunk

Yeah, this seems the more logical thing to do going forward.

Hopefully JSteve or one of the developers can chime in and let us know what's happening.

Indeed - still nothing for me :-/

Also... for the sequel, I just keep thinking how fantastic a grappeling hook would be to aid in really crazy traversal! ^_^

Hmm...yeah you can hope for the best in Chaos Squad.

I also know a lot of people farm it on the getting the band back together mission. After you rescue a lady from the river you will go to the part where you jump on the drums. Just chill there on the drums and kill the infinite hoard that runs at you. You can level up weapons here and pick up overcharge from dead OD. Can't remember what the return is.

danowat

Banned
I think they use a fairly small amount in standy, check this article, you'll have to work out what those watts in standby work out in say a month off your electricity bill:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/05/20/nearly-half-of-xbox-one-and-ps4-power-consumption-occurs-in-standby/

To be honest though, standby mode is only for the benefit of not loading up a game each time you boot and getting updates installed while you are out of the house, resulting in not having to wait when you are about to play. If those factors don't bother you, then you can save something on completely shutting it down I guess!

Thanks, just worked it out.

1p per 24hrs in energy saving more, 36p per 24hrs in instant on more, so even though it's not a lot of money, it's still a substantial increase.

Edit : back on topic, any news on the vibrating controller bug?

dankir

So,

Read my post. You can get 7500 - 10,000 overdrive in about 10 minutes

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=139601299&postcount=5006

Congrats! You should be picking up Forza Horizon 2 if you are remotely interested in racing or cars!

To completely close an application, hit the Xbox guide button (the big round shiny one) and you'll return to the Home screen. Press the menu button to the right of the guide button (where the start button used to be) and you'll get a box with some options, from here you can close the application.

However, you'll be best off setting the console under options to be in instant on mode. It's really nice to simply turn on the Xbox One and continue straight where you left off in the game, without loading up the game again.

Double tapping the Xbox Guide button ingame gives you some neat quick menues which you steer with your left stick. You can for instance snap in an application on the right side of your screen, like the achievement list or youtube to check out a guide for example. Simply repeat this to unsnap the application.

You don't really need to shut down games, you can use all the other applications without doing so, booting up another game though will of course end a game being played.

Hope that helped a bit!

Edit: Oh and to your left on the home screen is the Pins screen, you can press the menu button on icons for Achivements, games, blu-ray player, youtube, Netflix etc. and choose to pin to this screen. Doing so will make your own list of Pins with your favourite applications and games.

Thanks alot, great post. And sorry to hijack this thread. About instant mode: what if I have my One hooked to an extension cord that has a power plug, and I want to turn the power off for the night. Should I first turn off the instant mode before doing so? I don't know how the console feels about shutting the power down while in instant mode.

I think I might check out Forza around xmas, it will probably take me a month to finish Sunset. Two young kids so my gaming time is limited :) For that reason alone the instant mode is a godsend. I can just pick up and go whenever I have some free time.

Thanks again for the help.

Thanks alot, great post. And sorry to hijack this thread. About instant mode: what if I have my One hooked to an extension cord that has a power plug, and I want to turn the power off for the night. Should I first turn off the instant mode before doing so? I don't know how the console feels about shutting the power down while in instant mode.

I think I might check out Forza around xmas, it will probably take me a month to finish Sunset. Two young kids so my gaming time is limited :) For that reason alone the instant mode is a godsend. I can just pick up and go whenever I have some free time.

Thanks again for the help.
No prob, and yeah, as adult life takes up more spare time I also see my gaming time going down!

I'd turn off the instant on mode if you are shutting it down with a power plug anyhow, helps the console spin down properly. You could plug it to the wall directly and leave all the other appliances on the power plug maybe?!

So I've been messing with the new weapons.

Shield Buddy - doesn't last long but once you start to remember how long the shield lasts you can deploy it and melee kill the bigger enemies in the game.

Plague Bomb - fun in large groups, should be useful in Chaos Squad, the way it makes enemies shine red kinda kills the vomit effect visual, gets lost in the bright red light

Multi-lock Rocket Launcher - probably my favorite of the new ones, just satisfying to sweep your reticle around and with a couple rounds clear out large herds of OD. I need to try attaching the amp that spawns rockets from killed enemies...

Rager - like the Plague bomb it should be more useful in Chaos Squad, works like advertised though, same red highlighting as the plague bomb, Seemed to take a few shots to work on some larger OD? Need to try it out more.

Shield Buddy resets charge if you super jump or dodge roll + jump, which is a little annoying. You need to make sure your weapons shows back up on screen before depressing after other movements or you'll have to restart the charge.

The multi-lock rocket launcher looses locked targets if you super jump, change directions on a rail or grind wire, change from grind to undergrind, or air dash making it more annoying but as there is often times so many enemies on screen the times you need to carry over targets would be few and far between.

Hilariously, now the "New" tag on the weapons hasn't gone away despite using all new weapons.

Top Bottom