• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

Played the intro and the tutorial
with Floyd and Walter

Great fun, fantastic art style. Traversal is great and the game performs solidly.

I thought 900p would be so, so terrible after all the pontificating I've heard. Not so.

It's a rare treat when you play a game made by those who truly love video games. This is one of those games.

This is the Xbox One's killer app. Everyone who has the console needs this game.

Someone has to enjoy those old rail grinding type games IMO like tony hawk, aggressive inline, jet set etc

they force you to be constantly bouncing and grinding which is good 90% of the time, but also means you spend time frustratingly trying to get to the top of a building and see walls since you take like 5% of the damage while grinding vs being on foot which is too exreme IMO. Gives me a headache the constant camera movement.

this was one of the game I bought my xbox one for, and I am disappointed given how much I love past insomniac games. Its still a great game (I'd give an 8 or 9 gameplay is good and the graphics look amazing), but its not for everyone IMO.

Wizman23

Banned
It's a rare treat when you play a game made by those who truly love video games. This is one of those games.

This is the Xbox One's killer app. Everyone who has the console needs this game.

This is SO true. The first 2 days with the game I was tired and just played for a bit each day. Yesterday I had more time and had my "This Clicks" moment...and holy shit does it click!! If you own an Xbox One and consider yourself a gamer you have no excuses not to buy this. Screw waiting for a sale either Insomniac deserves every penny they can get for making such an amazing game. Shit, I'm having a blast with the game without the air dash yet. Can't imagine how much better it will be once I get that!

OrangeOak

Couldn't agree more.
Unfortunately I think that this is type of game that is not for everyone.I know that you can say it about every other title but I think that this is that special case where you must "get it" in order to have fun (lots of it) and I am afraid that there is a lot of people that won't even give it a chance.
It demands a little creativity from the player.It gives you all that awesome moves,weapons,well designed map and possibilities and it's up to you how creative you will get with all of them together.
Unfortunately I think that a lot of people today like a little less demanding games.It's similar case to Crackdown where one of it's biggest strenghts was gameplay/movement to the point where simply looking task like collecting orbs gave a lot of fun and satisfaction.They are trully sandbox games where it's really up to you how much fun you will get.
I don't want to say that everyone who don't buy or like it just don't "get it" but I think that in case of that title it will happen more frequent then in others.
Maybe I am not right and it's a little unfair toward todays gamers but I am a little afraid that this game won't get recognition that it deserves.

iso135

This a weird game. The design makes no sense, they made arbitrary rules like if you are grinding you take a fraction of the damage as being on the ground. I get that concept, but its too extreme IMO since I end up just looking at walls as every encounter I have to be jumping up in the air to not die (since you cant upgrade your character with health like you could in ratchet). its not like infamous where you can just go into a smoke entrance to jump to the top of the building, or use neon to wall run up to the top super quickly.

This is exactly what makes me love this game. This game FORCES you to play in a crazy non stop manner otherwise you die. This in turn forces you to get used to the mechanics and take full advantage of them.

Ok i played a good 3 hours of it yesterday and it's good but not great.

Graphically it's colorful as you can see but suffers from many jaggies and pop-ups, some parts impressed me and others, not so much. Don't get me wrong, it looks great no doubt but most of the time i wasn't impressed with the graphics.

Gameplay is fun with the right gun, grinding is fun and reminds me of Jet Set Radio. The shooting is mostly satisfying and the humor is funny despite what many said. The character moves slowly on the ground though which i didn't like. It looks like a game that you need to play often to a good grip on the controls because they are not that easy to get into at first.

Overall, a good game, gameplay and camera control can be tiring sometimes but still, a good fun time !

yeah the slow movement on the ground I get on a design level, they want you to keep getting combos/fill your style meter so they want to emphasize how much better it is to grind around. But it should be emphasis enough that you aren't getting combos or filling up your meter. The need to make you so much slower is a bit unnecessary.

abadguy

Banned

Agree on all fronts. Hell of a game they have here and i would love for it to become a series.

So I haven't been paying much attention to the |OT| yet, but I ended up caving and buying the SO White Console Bundle on Tuesday night, which now sits great next to my PS4 and Wii U.

Anyway, this game is so so fun. I'm still only a few hours in...right at the point where
you help the spoiled kids out in exchange for them to 3D-print you a propeller.
I was playing last night while my fiance was in the room and she was paying a little bit of attention. Not being a gamer, she was so confused by all the fourth wall breaking humor so I looked like a nutjob as I sat there laughing at all the very "gamer-y" jokes. I particularly loved the introduction of the all-knowing announcer and my character's first interactions with
Buck National..."I'm an American!"

Anyway, I love the sense of humor in the game and the bright, colorful aesthetic along with the fast and free sense of movement really make it a joy to play...and that's not even mentioning Insomniac's amazing weapon design. I cracked up for a solid five minutes when I got the
TNTeddy

Strider

Just unlocked air dash. Yep. Game changing.

This game is quickly climbing up my GOTY charts. So what's everyones favorite weapon so far? I have a decent amount of overcharge saved up but not sure what I want to buy.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
blarg getting gamebreaking scripting bug :( keep getting the grind badge then the scripting breaks and my dude just stands there and cant do anything

blarg getting gamebreaking scripting bug :( keep getting the grind badge then the scripting breaks and my dude just stands there and cant do anything

The game glitched out hard on me when I got the grind badge last night as well, but recovered after 15-30 seconds. Disappointing to hear this is game-breaking for some people :\.

So what's everyones favorite weapon so far? I have a decent amount of overcharge saved up but not sure what I want to buy.

I've only bought The Dude thus far. It's pretty good against the big enemies, but it isn't as great at crowd control as I would have thought. The bowling balls kinda bounce where you don't expect. I've heard good things about the freeze gun, but don't have it yet.

This is exactly what makes me love this game. This game FORCES you to play in a crazy non stop manner otherwise you die. This in turn forces you to get used to the mechanics and take full advantage of them.

Yeah its not a bad thing. I was kind of concerned it would be this way from developer comments, sicne personally I would prefer it to be less frenetic since I enjoy take my time with a slower pace and enjoying the environments.

This is why I think this game is not for everybody. The kind of game it is is very rare nowadays, so I hope it does well in order to keep diversity (vs say yearly COD, AC, sports game etc which are narrow in their gameplay mechanics and visuals)

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
The game glitched out hard on me when I got the grind badge last night as well, but recovered after 15-30 seconds. Disappointing to hear this is game-breaking for some people :\.

tried just leaving it for a while and nothing enemies wont even attack me ive also tried doing some side missions to see if that would fix the scripting some how but i cant even finish those they end but dont give me credit going to need a patch to fix this

Pedersen

This game takes me back to the first three Ratchet and Clank where I would wake up hours before school just so I could get more gaming in because it was so much fun to play. Also reminds me of Bully with the nerds and the other factions, and there's a certain song that sounds like the Bully theme song or something. This game is making me very nostalgic and I love it!

I had one where I think too much was going on screen and it completely froze.
Luckily quitting the game and restarting seemed to fix it. There should be an easier way to restart games on the Xbox One.

Was doing a base defense last night and grinding above the parking lot area while a massive wave of OD was flooding in. I was firing my high fidelity into the crowd watching the discs ricocheting among everyone and electrifying everything in site when I just started laughing. Everything in this game just comes together so perfectly -- from the art style to the punk rock soundtrack. I can't remember the last time I had this reaction to a game. Two days in and still loving it.

Once I have more time to play the game I'd love to add folks here to my friends list to compete in challenges with and maybe eventually play the multiplayer aspect. I love how Insomniac hinted that even though there's no multiplayer free-roam that never say never and that maybe in the future it might come.

Regardless while I'll ask for friends here later if somebody wants to add me

GT: Tunnel Snake

Just unlocked air dash. Yep. Game changing.

This game is quickly climbing up my GOTY charts. So what's everyones favorite weapon so far? I have a decent amount of overcharge saved up but not sure what I want to buy.

How far in do you get it?

And it is very lame that you lose overcharge when you die on certain missions. Everyone keeps saying it doesn't penalize you for dying. But it does.

And it is very lame that you lose overcharge when you die on certain missions. Everyone keeps saying it doesn't penalize you for dying. But it does.
The defend missions are to me the hardest thing in the game.
There is an achievement for getting a perfect one. I think I will not 100% this game.

The people who complain should actually play the game. You are pretty much dead meat if not on a rail.

There is an achievement for getting a perfect one. I think I will not 100% this game.

The people who complain should actually play the game. You are pretty much dead meat if not on a rail.

I can play the game fine. It's just lame whenever a game penalizes you for dying in that manner. Dying is penalty enough.

Honestly, once the game starts piling on Gunkers, blowers, and whatever they call the Scab that lays down proximity mines, you're not really safe on a rail either. You've got to keep switching it up.

Sushigod7

There is something really wrong with this game I can't make it to any missions because I'm to excited blowing other shit up and finding things to grind on. I LOVE IT

There is something really wrong with this game I can't make it to any missions because I'm to excited blowing other shit up and finding things to grind on. I LOVE IT

This really hit me hard when I started getting new weapons that were only level 1. Now I'm spending a ton of time leveling weapons while simultaneously getting collectibles to get new amps.

I equipped lightning bolt and hoooooly moly.

That to me is really next gen. To seamlessly allow a dev to put whatever crazy shit they want wherever they want it. Like traversal plus crazy weapons would already be plenty. But adding amps on top, the ability for lightning to just start dropping.

That's just insane.

This game is just. Insane.

nynt9

About two hours in and... I'm not enjoying this at all. The movement feels clunky to me, as if I'm fighting the controls to do what I want to do. I don't get it. And the enemies don't feel satisfying to kill, they're either just fodder and I'm just hitting RT, or they're bullet sponges and frustrating to deal with.

Also it feels rather aimless. Like a Saints Row game without the story missions. I get that the gameplay is supposed to be the point, but when I can't enjoy the gameplay itself, everything breaks down for me.

If it was a period where there weren't a lot of other games to play, I'd just stick with it and try to get a better hang of it, but considering there are so many other titles vying for my attention I don't see myself coming back to this. I'm about two hours in and I'll give it one more shot, but yeah, not for me.

edit: I meant two hours in

That to me is really next gen. To seamlessly allow a dev to put whatever crazy shit they want wherever they want it. Like traversal plus crazy weapons would already be plenty. But adding amps on top, the ability for lightning to just start dropping.

Its also cool having no loading when you have a detailed interior to enter, like the first base you have

Sushigod7

This really hit me hard when I started getting new weapons that were only level 1. Now I'm spending a ton of time leveling weapons while simultaneously getting collectibles to get new amps.

I equipped lightning bolt and hoooooly moly.

That's just insane.

This game is just. Insane.

Oh man lightning bolt?? I need to get some weapons upgraded mine are all level 1 or 2 with only a couple amps.

About an hour in and... I'm not enjoying this at all. The movement feels clunky to me, as if I'm fighting the controls to do what I want to do. I don't get it. And the enemies don't feel satisfying to kill, they're either just fodder and I'm just hitting RT, or they're bullet sponges and frustrating to deal with.

Also it feels rather aimless. Like a Saints Row game without the story missions. I get that the gameplay is supposed to be the point, but when I can't enjoy the gameplay itself, everything breaks down for me.

If it was a period where there weren't a lot of other games to play, I'd just stick with it and try to get a better hang of it, but considering there are so many other titles vying for my attention I don't see myself coming back to this. I'm about two hours in and I'll give it one more shot, but yeah, not for me.

Yeah you have to play the game using constant traversal, so if you dont enjoy that you wont like the game. Its a disappointing to me since I like to explore and really take in the sights vs constantly bouncing around and grinding and shooting enemies so far away they are hardly recognizable being so small.

E92 M3

Challenges
Help citizens in trouble
Chests

I've only found 1 chest. Is there a good way to search for them?

Really want an XB1 for this and MCC. This game looks like so much fun.

It's amazing and pulled me away from Destiny ;)

Yes! This game is made to be a video game and just gives us fun stuff to play with. Nothing in here is designed to make us grind or do boring things. I love it and can't wait to get the air dash.

FrsDvl

dMjSHXH.jpg

I'm too cool

Giggzy

I've only bought The Dude thus far. It's pretty good against the big enemies, but it isn't as great at crowd control as I would have thought. The bowling balls kinda bounce where you don't expect. I've heard good things about the freeze gun, but don't have it yet.

If you charge up The Dude and shoot it at a giant cluster of OD it knocks them all down with the sound effect of a bowling ball hitting the pins :)

Top Bottom