• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

Haven't had much time to play, but I'll devour it starting tonight. I just finished the part where you chase the train to "save" Kim, and holy $%^& that was awesome.

Amazing game, and yeah my appreciation of the traversal system amped up a lot after getting air dash and getting more comfortable with the controls -- or being less of an a-hole as the game would put it. :p

Oh, yeah. I'm digging the humor way more than I thought I would.

It could be just me, but I do find it overwhelming mixing up moving around and shooting at enemies. The auto-aim only works a fraction of the time. I sometimes get too focused on enemies and then I realize I ran out of rails and fell on the ground, panicking to get back to higher areas. I can understand the combat not being for everyone. This isn't Gears of War where you just have to focus on enemies. The worst ones are Scabbers that do not seem to die no matter how many times I shoot them. Maybe it is just being so early in the game and my weapons suck. But yeah Scabbers are really annoying.

yeah the game has a HUGE penalty if you are just standing around on the ground like a conventional shooter. Its like there is a multiplier for damage that is HUGE if you arent traversing, like 20-50 times the damage. if you take on just a small amount of soldiers while walking on the ground, you will die very rapidly.

given how many conventional shooters there are versus grinding games like TH, aggressive inline, jet set etc makes sense they have a system in place to reward using it

Cash = Clothing and Vanity
Overcharge (cans) = Weapons, Maps, Ammo
Amp Ingredients (Collectibles) = Amps

And overdrive is just a passive upgrade for your character. Think of them like "perks". Or "Talents".

You can have 6 active at a time, and they are always active when equipped.

Cool thanks I didnt realize there were 3 different currencies.

The menu screen should say these overdrives are always active. Calling it overdrive makes it sound like you have to be in some EXTREME OVERDRIVE COOLNESS MODE. Due to the way weapon mods work, I tend to just bounce on any nearby object just to activate the amps.

Murray97

Nice! Which ones are the hard ones?

I Like Them All - Upgrade 20 guns to Level 5.

I Should Get Paid for This - Beat a score of 534,080 on "Buck's Revenge."( shouldn't be too hard once I've got level 5 guns and level 4 amps on everything I need.)

Out of Stock - Destroy 250 Overcharge XT vending machines. (not hard really just annoying.)

Haven't had much time to play, but I'll devour it starting tonight. I just finished the part where you chase the train to "save" Kim, and holy $%^& that was awesome.

Amazing game, and yeah my appreciation of the traversal system amped up a lot after getting air dash and getting more comfortable with the controls -- or being less of an a-hole as the game would put it. :p

Oh, yeah. I'm digging the humor way more than I thought I would.

Whats the quickest way to get the air dash?

I started a new game since I have no idea what I am supposed to be doing, as my map has like 1000 friggin icons on it

OrangeOak

awesome, ha ha.

add my GT: somewhatgroovy (which anyone is welcome to btw)

I added you ,my gamertag is SteelOak.Oh and you might want to get back to that challange because you just got beated :)
I need more friends with that game on my friend list so feel free to add me too if you like!

yeah the game has a HUGE penalty if you are just standing around on the ground like a conventional shooter.
I think the enemy aim is like 90% accurate on the ground and 40% while grinding.
I notice the best way to play is never stay on ground for too long.

Also, the NeoGAF nod is great. Insomniac knows its audience.

hawk2025

This game is pure joy.

I'm taking my time really learning the mechanics and the traversal. It's all about getting the speed and aiming right, while still being aware that if you swing the camera around too much while shooting, you just have to give yourself time to adjust before beginning traversal again so as to not lose the combo.

This is definitely on the mid-upper tier of Insomniac games, and that's high praise coming from me :)

Extremely happy with the final product.

iso135

Thank you to all the Insomniac folks taking the time to respond to questions. Your interaction with the players (here and Sunset TV) is appreciated.

I figured I'd be playing Halo: MCC day one....Now it is looking more like I will play Halo: MCC once I am done with Sunset Overdrive. I can't put this game down.

Look at me

RBd6Iik.jpg

I'm such a boring person.

My guy still looks completely generic :p

Maybe this issue is best left for the other thread, so I won't bring it up again.

Just kidding, its weird seeing such bright colors, since it takes me back a few years where games like jak and daxter were released

You're a singer?

Nah?

Seriously?

Nah.

Seriously, when can you make it? We need to get at least on game in as a group.

Classically trained tenor. We never get Sundays off. Gotta sing for Jesus and all. Saturday is my good day.

Excellent. I'm pretty sure I'm already following you, but I'll drop you a message so you know what my GT is.

And it remains a mystery for me. Jerk.
Creeper?

Alx

the xbone seriously needs an image capturing tool. I wanna take pics of my guy but I refuse to take that bright ass phone camera pic

You can use the DVR, and either view it on a web browser and capture a snapshot, or retrieve the file from onedrive and grab a frame. It's a bit tedious and won't be perfect quality, but still better than taking a photo of a TV set.
But yeah that may be the first time I wish there was a screenshot feature on the X1. :)

Do you have to do all the challenges or collectathon missions to finish the game? I really don't like that kinda stuff like you see in assassins creed.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I'll be around all Sunday. NYC Marathon finish line is by my house, so if I leave my block it's next to impossible to get home until around 7 PM. They block anything within a block of Central Park West with Garbage Trucks and a cop checkpoint.

Wife is at a bachelorette party.. which means I will have a frozen Pizza and Sunset Overdrive going most of the day.

GT: StoOgE

Do you have to do all the challenges or collectathon missions to finish the game? I really don't like that kinda stuff like you see in assassins creed.

P sure the story is just on its own track. I think it introduces those elements in single missions but I believe that's the last of them that are mandatory to see the end of the story. I'm only a few hours in though.

Top Bottom