• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm only seeing the kind of overpriced ones right now. I see that Best Buy has them in stock, but I'm holding out for Amazon to get more because of Prime...

Just hoping that the people who really wanted to get the bundle have already gotten it and there will still be some one shelves for poor people like me.

I just went ahead and went to best buy. I have a feeling these things may actually be limited.

Alx

I'm kinda surprised many people are jumping in to getting an XB1 because of SO. not saying SO is a system seller, but I'm surprised it's getting attention from many people who still don't own the system

Most people are usually waiting for a console to have several games they want before buying it, so it's no surprise that whenever a good game releases, it makes many people reach the threshold they imposed on themselves. It's the straw that breaks the camel's back. Big straw, though. :p

Reddaye

Banned
SSO was on my radar since it's Insomniac and it certainly had a fresh vibe.I was a bit wary of this game since I'm not the biggest fan of "open world city" games these days, and generally just don't bother with them (even GTA V to be honest).

It turns out all I needed was something more than hijacking cars, or swinging on webs. I needed grinds, spring boarding off of cars, and an amazing traversal system like this to really suck me in. Honestly this game is just the definition of fun to me. Crazy moves, amazing weapons, lots of challenges, and collectibles that actually DO something when you collect them.

Everything about it feels like a video game, and I'm perfectly okay with that. I still haven't unlocked the air dash, but I'm still able to move swiftly from location to location just by spotting jump and grind points while using the speed boost to increase my momentum. It feels incredible and fresh.

Bravo Insomniac. Bravo.

I'm kinda surprised many people are jumping in to getting an XB1 because of SO. not saying SO is a system seller, but I'm surprised it's getting attention from many people who still don't own the system

Its not as high as it should be.

The game really is excellent. It actually pulled me solidly away from that whore that is Destiny for a whole day.

Leyasu

Banned
My GT is: Ont9, same time zone feel free to add. Will probably play this a lot over the weekend.

(hurry up Royal Mail)

Both of you add me!

Van Winkel x
France cet +1 hr but Im from the uk

Love this fucking game and chaos squad is the business

Edit. anyone else from the uk/eu want to add me for this, halo etc. Then feel free

OrangeOak

you guys have any tips on how to make faster cash? I want to buy more clothes and shit.

I don't know if it is really fast but search for trucks with cash and for ATMs.There is quite a lot of cash in them.Also search for chests.
Trucks and chests are marked on minimap if I am not mistaken.

cheezcake

Today was my last day of university for the year. Went out with friends for dinner afterwards, picked up SO on the way home. Let's do this shit GAF

gh7hxQ3h.jpg

hwy_61

Banned
I don't know if it is really fast but search for trucks with cash and for ATMs.There is quite a lot of cash in them.Also search for chests.
Trucks and chests are marked on minimap if I am not mistaken.

Ohh man I totally forgot about ATM's.

Thanks dude

you guys have any tips on how to make faster cash? I want to buy more clothes and shit.
Challenges are kind of nice since they are quick and the rewards are infinite. I got lots of cash trying to gold challenges.

I will also say Sunset Overdrive is the first next-gen game that really feels like a next-gen game. Second Son looked the part, but SO plays it.
I think it may be my GOTY so far. VideoGamer is full of s**t.

blakep267

Looks like the game isnt selling great, #18 on amazon

Would have been better if they could have launched withi more time until COD
your looking at the hourly chart. it spent the last two days around 9-10 before dropping today.

people like to make fun of Hindle but this game actually does have positive word of mouth. that's not saying it'll say 3 million, but the quality of the game is spreading

Phreaker

Looks like the game isnt selling great, #18 on amazon

That's a shame since it's a great game. One of the most fun games I've played this year. On the bright side I have had 3 people ask me about Xbox One this week, which hasn't happened since Titanfall. All three are getting Xbox Ones with the price drop and two are picking up SO, all three are getting COD.

so is the game bigger than I expected or am I doing something wrong

I played for hours but havent unlocked any new amps since those 2 early missions that unlock 5 of them. Any hit from a decent enemy takes off a huge chunk of the health bar, so I feel like I am getting less powerful than I was at the start. It makes the game very boring to be grinding and killing enemies at a range where I cant even make out the model of the enemy just the red cursor. not fun.

I have already reached the second island in a mission and done all the early missions at the
that toy place with animatronic things, eg last mission was going to the top of a massively tall building using harpoon gun lines for navigation

so is the game bigger than I expected or am I doing something wrong

I played for hours but havent unlocked any new amps since those 2 early missions that unlock 5 of them.

I have already reached the second island in a mission and done all the early missions at the
that toy place with animatronic things, eg last mission was going to the top of a massively tall building using harpoon gun lines for navigation

I felt the same way, be patient you'll get more pretty soon.

hwy_61

Banned
Challenges are kind of nice since they are quick and the rewards are infinite. I got lots of cash trying to gold challenges.

I will also say Sunset Overdrive is the first next-gen game that really feels like a next-gen game. Second Son looked the part, but SO plays it.
I think it may be my GOTY so far. VideoGamer is full of s**t.

Challenges
Help citizens in trouble
Chests

Thank ya!

Kajiba

Its not as high as it should be.

The game really is excellent. It actually pulled me solidly away from that whore that is Destiny for a whole day.

Haha yeah. I was doing the raid on normal and hard with my friends yesterday and I kept on thinking about being done so I can play SO.

I felt the same way, be patient you'll get more pretty soon.

I hope so. Find the game a lot less fun than infamous, since I just feel powerless since enemies can take down all health in like a fraction of a second.

I feel like I am missing upgrades or something. I have the badges but they are "locked" for things like health. Fighting enemies at a range where you cant even make out the models is incredibly dull.

JonCha

I'm guessing for those of us in the UK we can't just install the game and the change our region to the US and play it early?

Installing now. Didn't realise digital editions could not be played early.

Not sure how specifically you quantify "plays it" but nothing here is new or revolutionary. Many of the mechanics are pulled from games as far back as three generations ago.
Sure nothing is new, but I say how it puts it together is pretty revolutionary personally.
While SO is not Portal, it is the first game in which I understand the new console hardware. Pikmin 3 was the first Wii U game that really showed how the Gamepad should be used. I have yet to see a PS4 game justify the hardware yet.\

I have found myself not having enough overcharge to buy new weapons. inthink I've only been able to afford 2 guns so far
Yeah, I have not found a way to get lots of overcharge yet. Missions and Challenges seem to reward the most. Also killing group spawns seems to net a good chunk of them.

This a weird game. The design makes no sense, they made arbitrary rules like if you are grinding you take a fraction of the damage as being on the ground. I get that concept, but its too extreme IMO since I end up just looking at walls as every encounter I have to be jumping up in the air to not die (since you cant upgrade your character with health like you could in ratchet). its not like infamous where you can just go into a smoke entrance to jump to the top of the building, or use neon to wall run up to the top super quickly.

OTOH I absolutely love how colorful it is and how its unlike all the other boring games we see every yeah being minor changes (eg FPS games, AC sequels etc) I really like most of their mechanics, but I think they went overboard with forcing you to be bouncing and grinding all the time.

Good game but could have been amazing with a bit more work.

I'm genuinely shocked at how much I am enjoying this game. I thought it would be decent fun, but I didn't think grinding and bouncing around in the world all while shooting would provide some of the most fun I have had in years. The merger of violence and bright vibrant colors is just what I needed to break the fatigue of dark brooding shooters/action games.

-PXG-

It's a rare treat when you play a game made by those who truly love video games. This is one of those games.

This is the Xbox One's killer app. Everyone who has the console needs this game.

It's a rare treat when you play a game made by those who truly love video games. This is one of those games.

This is the Xbox One's killer app. Everyone who has the console needs this game.

I actually need the console to have the game :(

I want this game really badly

This a weird game. The design makes no sense, they made arbitrary rules like if you are grinding you take a fraction of the damage as being on the ground. I get that concept, but its too extreme IMO since I end up just looking at walls as every encounter I have to be jumping up in the air to not die (since you cant upgrade your character with health like you could in ratchet). its not like infamous where you can just go into a smoke entrance to jump to the top of the building, or use neon to wall run up to the top super quickly.

OTOH I absolutely love how colorful it is and how its unlike all the other boring games we see every yeah being minor changes (eg FPS games, AC sequels etc) I really like most of their mechanics, but I think they went overboard with forcing you to be bouncing and grinding all the time.

Good game but could have been amazing with a bit more work.

You can increase your health with Overcharge Badges. Or maybe decrease the amount of health you lose versus enemies. Can't remember which. Same difference either way.

You can increase your health with Overcharge Badges. Or maybe decrease the amount of health you lose versus enemies. Can't remember which. Same difference either way.

it says locked, but doesnt say what I need to do to unlock them (unlike mordor which told you what you needed to do to unlock)

also one badge was reduce damage by 1%/ WTF why even have such a useless upgrade.

Yeah I completely agree. Every time I play it, it creeps up a little higher and higher in my love for the game.

Agree 100%. Sunset is amazing. It's everything I hoped it would be and more.

d00d3n

I caved in and bought an xbox one for this. What hour of the day are xbox one games usually released? Any chance of a release 00:00 central european time tonight? (I live in Europe, so the game isn't released here yet.)

Top Bottom