• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

noonche

lol so basically same effect if "deliberately" missing

Yeah. There's 5-6 other rules governing their accuracy and fire-rate, but that's the idea.

We tried about a billion different things (slowing their bullets down, using hud-elements to convey accuracy, tracing grinds like the blower, subtly increasing accuracy based on traversal time and how often you were changing traversal) and none of it read well or felt good to play against. The binary nature you have in the game right now was the only one that anyone who wasn't the programmer (me) could grok.

Yeah. There's 5-6 other rules governing their accuracy and fire-rate, but that's the idea.

We tried about a billion different things (slowing their bullets down, using hud-elements to convey accuracy, tracing grinds like the blower, subtly increasing accuracy based on traversal time and how often you were changing traversal) and none of it read well or felt good to play against. The binary nature you have in the game right now was the only one that anyone who wasn't the programmer (me) could grok.

appreciate the info

yeah I mean presumably the goal was to ensure that people are using traversal, given how fundamental it is in the environment design (ie all the rails and bounceable objects everywhere)

I tried slowly exploring areas with soldiers trying to "use cover" and it just didnt work, I took too many hits. I only was effective grinding on rails, shooting enemies, then exploring if I got rid of enemies and no new ones spawning.

YES, I AM #1 (by 1 point)!

Finally managed to climb the leaderboards for Traversal Challenge #7.

Gb0CsHc.jpg

And if anyone wants to see my (hand-crushing, self-starving) run in action:
Here it is on XboxClips.com

Now I can finally go eat and be a family man, etc etc.

derFeef

I am not getting the complaints about the humor. It's actually pretty funny. Sure if you chain all the jokes together it's a bit much, but they do not happen all the time. Chuckled at the
GameFaqs
joke.

bryehn

Really not feeling it after a couple hours. I find the controls really floaty and imprecise and the camera isn't great in tight spaces at all. It's not a bad game or anything, just a little loose for me.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Sto0ge, are you here?

With the new rules around OTs for newly released games and subsequent threads, do you think it's a good idea to create a separate Chaos mode thread to swap gamertags, post vids, and share strategies or would it be redundant?

Someone posted the idea, I voted against it at first but with all the new people propping up and missed gamertag swaps, perhaps it is the right idea?

Right now I don't think it's necessary. If someone wants to put together a list I can edit the OT and throw names up there.

It seems like fracturing this thread probably isn't the greatest idea.

In fact, this is more or less what the new rules are designed to do. Kill in-joke memes from people who have been following the game forever and create a thread where people talk about the game that just came out.

If it turns into a situation where half the thread is GT requests and people trying to set up groups instead of talking about the game we'll split it out. That's more likely to happen as people finish up the SP.

This is definitely the best X1 game released so far. It's a lil slow at first, but once you unlock air dash the game really opens up. I just love the overall customization of your character from Amps, traps, weapons, overdrives, costumes, body type just so much shit. I'm about 5 hours in according to the ticker, and I don't think I'm even close to the halfway point. This is definitely a must have if you have an Xbox. 9/10 insomniac

Kalm

Really not feeling it after a couple hours. I find the controls really floaty and imprecise and the camera isn't great in tight spaces at all. It's not a bad game or anything, just a little loose for me.

It felt floaty to me too at first. Have you unlocked air-dash yet?

The movement gets so much better once you can just dash forward instead of waiting to float down to the next rail or bounce.

OrangeOak

Yeah, the two things I need to really improve on are

1) Wall Runs. I will kill traversals by hitting a wall when I could extend it, but typically fail to.

2) Hitting the ground. I need to be better at rolling and reconnecting my combo.

I'm really good at staying on the rails or bouncing, but when I do screw up my recovery is pretty spotty.

I would really recommend to just tap B if you know that you are going on the ground and then during dive bomb tap A and you are up high again without losing your combo.

Dazzyman

Feel free as always to add me and my wife as we both own this.

Gamer tags

Dazzyman
Ikkle Panda

I can't get enough of this game, it's aces :) just wiped my save and started again tho.

We're in the UK but play all hours

V_Ben

Banned
Ok, my copy is downloading now. I borrowed the Xbox from work, bought a digital code from a kindly Gaffer, and am SO GOD DAMN EXCITED to play.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
found a way to fix the scripting bugs if you go back out to the xbox dash board and close out the program and restart it the game will be fine so if you get any scripting that breaks your game just do that

HaleStorm

Most people are usually waiting for a console to have several games they want before buying it, so it's no surprise that whenever a good game releases, it makes many people reach the threshold they imposed on themselves. It's the straw that breaks the camel's back. Big straw, though. :p

This game with MCC a few weeks later is a big draw.

There are still a LOT of people on 360 that have not upgraded, and I would venture to guess that many of them are just going to jump straight to the XB1. If you look at the destiny sales for example, 360 outsold the PS3 by quite a bit. I bet many if not most of those are going to make their way to XB1. With very few BIG great games, SO is just the first in list of games coming up that are at least next gen exclusive, several of which are XB1 exclusive too.

Grisby

So I just got down with the
Fizzie ballon
battle. It wasn't super hard but it was a lot of fun and it looked great. Doing the side quest
with his AI right after had me rolling

The heaven holy music and his calm throw me in the ocean demeanor was great.

This has to be one of the prettiest open world games I've ever played. Seriously, there are little pockets of green everywhere and its so dense with objects.

This game with MCC a few weeks later is a big draw.

There are still a LOT of people on 360 that have not upgraded, and I would venture to guess that many of them are just going to jump straight to the XB1. If you look at the destiny sales for example, 360 outsold the PS3 by quite a bit. I bet many if not most of those are going to make their way to XB1. With very few BIG great games, SO is just the first in list of games coming up that are at least next gen exclusive, several of which are XB1 exclusive too.

I don't think MCC is quite the big draw, how many casual halo fans are gonna go out and buy an xbox one to play the games they already own? A resolution and framerate bump means nothing to 99% of these people.

danwarb

I don't think MCC is quite the big draw, how many casual halo fans are gonna go out and buy an xbox one to play the games they already own? A resolution and framerate bump means nothing to 99% of these people.

It's somewhat of a draw and much more than a resolution and framerate bump. I think it'll do a lot better than CEA.

Need to get an XBL subscription to play this online. I've spent hours in single player (I've halted story missions to do side stuff) but I want to experience some multiplayer.

Kalm

Damn, there's quite a few little quirks to the traversal system that don't get mentioned much -- or at all? -- during the campaign. I'm like 15 hours in and just now realized that you can handspring after a roll.

Roll->Handspring->Divebomb->Super-bounce->Air-dash.

The animation in this game is incredible.

I really like the traversal challenges. That was a really good addition to the game by Insomniac. Also, I agree that the air dash is a game changer. This game is just so much fun.
I couldn't play the Evolve alpha for long with this pulling me back in lol.

The challenges are really great in general. They're tough, but not unfairly so (except Buck National, screw that bastard). I love that you get unique customization items from getting gold.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

I believe the draw is in:

1) Owning every Halo game (MC ones) on one box

2) Halo CE online for the first time

The res bump is a bonus. Also Halo 5 beta

Top Bottom