• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Do you have to do all the challenges or collectathon missions to finish the game? I really don't like that kinda stuff like you see in assassins creed.

No.

There are super short tutorial "missions" in the main game that highlight the different currencies and unlockable structure, but after that the story is it's own track. And these aren't really collect-a-thon missions. They are very much so "oh hey, 4 collectables happen to be right next to me" kind of things.

Ohwiseone

I am at the part
When you have to go find medicine and your with the LARPing Group, and once you reach the "forest" there is a "bard cam" button. I just about died when that popped up.

I need a solid weekend session with this game. Every bit I've played during the week has involved me sortof jankily finding my groove, and by the time I'm completely in the zone and grinding lines and wall-running and super-jumping without breaking a stride I've got to quit out for the night ;p

I guess that's a good thing.

Strider

So how many people here would be interested in getting a group going for chaos squad tonight? I haven't tried it yet.

I'm thinking around 9 eastern...

No.

There are super short tutorial "missions" in the main game that highlight the different currencies and unlockable structure, but after that the story is it's own track. And these aren't really collect-a-thon missions. They are very much so "oh hey, 4 collectables happen to be right next to me" kind of things.
Like do you collect the smart phones and do all the challenges as you go along?

I'm 6 points away from #1 on the leaderboards on Traversal Challenge #7. This is killing me. I'm gonna do this today. It will be done. Won't eat until it's done. GOD DAMMIT!

I've only found 1 chest. Is there a good way to search for them?

It's amazing and pulled me away from Destiny ;)

Yes! This game is made to be a video game and just gives us fun stuff to play with. Nothing in here is designed to make us grind or do boring things. I love it and can't wait to get the air dash.

For chests, definitely keep an eye on the mini map they will show up as icons. Also they will have smoke coming from them, and are usually found at the top of high buildings in the environment. I think I got an achievement recently for finding a certain amount of them, you'll spot em!

I noticed some folks putting multiple Weapon Amps on their favorite weapon or two, I didn't even realize you could stack Weapon Amps until last night darn. My strategy has been to spread them out across all weapons because I'm constantly switching during combat.

All in all I'm having a freaking blast, the movement is super fun and I've gotten the hang of shooting while traversing. Definitely a game I will play through at least one more time!

Murray97

No one on my friends list has this game and I would like some people to go beat me on challenges so I have more to do now.

SwiftlyLosing is my GT.

Krilekk

Banned
Cash = Clothing and Vanity
Overcharge (cans) = Weapons, Maps, Ammo
Amp Ingredients (Collectibles) = Amps

Don't know if it's a bug or bad design but when I was in the first district the game told me my next task was to talk to Norton (?). It showed no mission marker. Took me quite some time to figure out what I had to do (I fast traveled to the second area, then the mission marker appeared again).

I'll be around all Sunday. NYC Marathon finish line is by my house, so if I leave my block it's next to impossible to get home until around 7 PM. They block anything within a block of Central Park West with Garbage Trucks and a cop checkpoint.

Wife is at a bachelorette party.. which means I will have a frozen Pizza and Sunset Overdrive going most of the day.

GT: StoOgE

And then there were four. I'll add/follow You next time I'm on.

Frozen pizza? Come on bro. Those things taste of cardboard or maybe I've just been unlucky.

Don't know if it's a bug or bad design but when I was in the first district the game told me my next task was to talk to Norton (?). It showed no mission marker. Took me quite some time to figure out what I had to do (I fast traveled to the second area, then the mission marker appeared again).

Must be that mission. Same thing happened to me.

StoOgE

Like do you collect the smart phones and do all the challenges as you go along?

Right now I've tended to just go back if I see something hanging out.

Like, "Oh hey, TP on that phone poll" and nab it.

I need to do some more concentrated farming tonight probably because I want to get my amps up. The nice thing is once you have traversal down the game is fun enough that it doesn't really bother me.

I hate collect-a-thons, but with JSRF and Crackdown I loved them because it was an excuse to scour the sandbox. So far, SO is giving me that feeling more than anything.

OrangeOak

Fantastic. Nice time with that first air dash into the two rings on roof.

Hmmmm.

I got this. >:)

Thanks! Go for it,I am sure you can do this :)

Nice. And I could really use that air dash. Guess I'm still in the very early goings.

Air dash is really amazing.Adds a lot.
Same with ability to jump higher right after dive bomb.I think that move is available from the beginning but I discovered it just yesterday.

Murray97

Being able to handspring right after rolling is great for keeping combos going as well. If you are about to hit the ground make sure to roll and handspring back up and it keeps going.

StoOgE

Being able to handspring right after rolling is great for keeping combos going as well. If you are about to hit the ground make sure to roll and handspring back up and it keeps going.

Yeah, the two things I need to really improve on are

1) Wall Runs. I will kill traversals by hitting a wall when I could extend it, but typically fail to.

2) Hitting the ground. I need to be better at rolling and reconnecting my combo.

I'm really good at staying on the rails or bouncing, but when I do screw up my recovery is pretty spotty.

I just bought the Sunset Overdrive bundle but I want a retail copy so I'm selling the code for £30. Payment via Paypal.

unnamed58udv.jpg

Posted this in the buy/sell/trade thread but I thought some people might want the game in this thread too. Hope it's not against the rules!

noonche

yeah the game has a HUGE penalty if you are just standing around on the ground like a conventional shooter. Its like there is a multiplier for damage that is HUGE if you arent traversing, like 20-50 times the damage. if you take on just a small amount of soldiers while walking on the ground, you will die very rapidly.

This is not correct. There is not a global multiplier (or at least not one that I added or am aware of) for being on or off traversal.

If you are talking about Scab Shooter, then their accuracy is governed by a bunch of rules, but the idea is if you are traversing and moving forward they should be missing you. If you are repeatedly bouncing on the same object or grinding back and forth they'll start to hit you. Also, being on the ground allows them to hit you more.

This is not correct. There is not a global multiplier (or at least not one that I added or am aware of) for being on or off traversal.

If you are talking about Scab Shooter, then their accuracy is governed by a bunch of rules, but the idea is if you are traversing and moving forward they should be missing you. If you are repeatedly bouncing on the same object or grinding back and forth they'll start to hit you. Also, being on the ground allows them to hit you more.

reason I say a big multiplier is that I still get hit whether on foot or traversing, but the actual damage amount varies a huge amount (former a big percentage of the bar, the latter a tiny fraction)

Leyasu

Banned
And then there were five.

Three more and we might not fail night defence...

Cool.. I'll be about in a bit. Once the kids are in bed, I'll send the gf upstairs to watch her programmes then i!m set!

It will be the same tomorrow as well.

Night defence is awesome... No other word to describe it

FrankT

I just bought the Sunset Overdrive bundle but I want a retail copy so I'm selling the code for £30. Payment via Paypal.

unnamed58udv.jpg

Posted this in the buy/sell/trade thread but I thought some people might want the game in this thread too. Hope it's not against the rules!

Edit nvm. See you are not US.

Gestault

I can't wait to play this. I'm really glad to hear there are community score challenges for every mission. This sort of skill-based traversal really benefits from that. It's a weird blend of Crackdown, JSRF and Tony Hawk with that little bit of Punk "spice."

noonche

reason I say a big multiplier is that I still get hit whether on foot or traversing, but the actual damage amount varies a huge amount (former a big percentage of the bar, the latter a tiny fraction)

It does not (I'm one of the primary AI programmers on the game). You are getting hit a lot more on the ground and they are deliberately missing.

Now, this effectively leads to Scab Shooters doing more or less damage based on how you are traversing, but this doesn't apply to any of the other enemy classes.

For you guys trying to get #1 in the world on traversal challenges, heres a tip:

It takes 2 grind/wallrun boosts to hit max speed but only 1 air dash.

Also your speed boost will start to decay after several seconds if you aren't boosting/airdashing.

Mik317

I am really enjoying this game a ton. It the 3d platformer I have been waiting forever. I do wish the male hairstyles were better (Yuri Lowenthall does a bang up job as the male protag but my shallowness won't allow me to use him over the female one..who does a solid job too). Humor has actually made me laugh a bit too.

Maybe not BUY A CONSOLE worthy (damn you impulse buys) but I have enjoyed it greatly. Probably will lose to Smash Wii U or Bayonetta 2 for GOTY but it will be close for me.

I am really enjoying this game a ton. It the 3d platformer I have been waiting forever. I do wish the male hairstyles were better (Yuri Lowenthall does a bang up job as the male protag but my shallowness won't allow me to use him over the female one..who does a solid job too). Humor has actually made me laugh a bit too.

Maybe not BUY A CONSOLE worthy (damn you impulse buys) but I have enjoyed it greatly. Probably will lose to Smash Wii U or Bayonetta 2 for GOTY but it will be close for me.

Yeah, first thing I did was buy the trucker hat. A lot of the hair is great for crazy looking characters, there just was never that one style I was okay with having.

It does not (I'm one of the primary AI programmers on the game). You are getting hit a lot more on the ground and they are deliberately missing.

Now, this effectively leads to Scab Shooters doing more or less damage based on how you are traversing, but this doesn't apply to any of the other enemy classes.

lol so basically same effect if "deliberately" missing

rokkerkory

unnamed58udv.jpg

I am jelly, enjoy!

My advice is just to play how you want to play and you'll get more awesome =)

Just wanted to say I am really enjoying the game, you guys knocked it out of the park.

The only thing a friend and I were saying the game needs (maybe for a sequel?!) is the ability to do even more tricks (like Tony Hawk or SSX-style moves, but maybe these cause damage to enemies), just to expand on things to do to boost your meter and make traversal through the world even more fun.

Other than that, this game has exceeded my expectations, just a ton of fun.

man at first I didnt notice you could rb/lb for more choices so I thought it was a very sparse selection

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Stupid question:

But where can I see progress on the personal weekly and global bi-weekly goals?

I can't seem to find any way to actually view this ingame, but for the weekly one it seems to be a challenge in achievements so you can see a filled up bar. No idea for that community thing though.

Top Bottom