• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

malfcn

They going to sell the cover shirt?

pp,550x550.u1.png

JambiBum

I vary between male and female characters. It kind of depends on the VA most of the time, when I play one in RPGs I usually always name them after my brother's daughter.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Holy shit this game is fun. I've had more fun in its first two hours than in any 2014 title so far.

I also LOVE how this game looks. Here, I took some screenshots:
Code:
[IMG]https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5604/15462676050_f2208001d5_o.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7543/15027499014_56be2bcc77_o.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3948/15624540276_9325758529_o.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7582/15461610629_b730016c04_o.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7474/15645561741_494b412c37_o.jpg[/IMG]

Played for a couple hours and had a lot of fun. They aren't kidding when they say you have to keep moving. You can get outnumbered pretty quick and just swamped with enemies if you aren't careful. The traversal is fun and once you can get it to "click" it will open up everything. I haven't gotten to that point but I hope to get there. I did a couple of the traversal challenges too and remember to use your boost. I kept wondering why I was just that split second too slow and it dawned on me...I can boost. All in all it's awesome and I expect it to only get better once I get better with the mechanics and open up better/more powerful weapons and character upgrades.

Nice work Insomniac

is there anything the actual in game dollars are used for besides clothing? Seems like everything else is bought with the cans of overcharge

Jrs3000

I'm picking mine up in the morning after BB opens. I went all out bought the game and season pass, I couldn't help myself.

My 2 hour impressions from yesterday's review thread.

The game prompted me with a 311MB update for those of you who are wondering(thank god for no BIGASS updates). Been playing it for 2 hours now and man, the game is just crazy over the top fun. Been having a stupid grin on my face the whole time I was playing the game. The first minute or so feels weird but then when you get a hold of the mechanics and everything clicks GOTDAMN is it fun. It controls like a dream. The game starts with you making your character and basically everything breaks loose at the start of it after you are done making your character. Much like JSRF, the walking is just plain boring and slow but once you are grinding, jumping as well as vaulting all together mixed in with shooting HNNNNNGGGGG.

I think the best thing about the game is that it pushes you to play in that way so that you can build your style meter and thus have the amps turn on which act as attributes that can be put to your character as well as weapons, I can see many people having different attributes and such which should make online pretty damn fun with everyone having different shit equipped. Story so far is sirvacible but it really isn't the major point. The gameplay is and man is it fun. It's like Crackdown + JSRF but with crazy ass weapons and attributes to equip. The people who say the traversing is slow are dead wrong, once everything clicks, you would wish it goes slower so you could aim better and shoot but you'll get used to it pretty quickly and love the chaos. I'm sure the game offers more as I still didn't delve in deep with the customization nor the stuff you could get, I'm just having fun traversing and getting those JSRF feels/memories again. I don't even know how much faster or crazier things get the more I progress in the game and I upgrade. I uploaded a WebM footage taken offscreen and before I get crucified it's because the Xbox One upload thing is giving me errors so yeah, don't judge the look obviously but it's for you guys to take a feel of the gameplay.

The game also looks GORGEOUS. The colors just POP! reminds me of Windwaker and Prince of Persia 2008 except this plays smoother then the mentioned games. Overall, I think people who are looking forward to this won't be disappointed in the slightest. Comedy is subjective but I did have a chuckle here and there but it's definitely the "in your face" kind of funny so far. In the end though, If you want feel good gameplay and just overall over the top fun, then this game is for you.

I can't wait to finish from collage and get back to play more of this game. Gonna be one long ass day, also it doesn't take much to unlock chaos mode, probably 30 - 40 minutes if you focus on the main missions only

I'm about an hour in and I'm loving the game so far! I'm still not used to the controls but once I get everything down it'll be fun racking up combos.

Early Impressions: Character customization is really cool. You get quite a bit of variety right from the get go. You can layer your clothing so that's really cool. A lot of hair styles and colors, I like it. I'm not sure if you can unlock more clothes as you go. But I imagine so because you can save quite a few outfits.

The Amps seemed pretty deep to me but I'm only an hour in and I don't fully understand them yet.

Some of the gameplay videos made the grinding look slow to me. It's a lot faster when you're playing. There's a boost button to speed up and when you zoom in to aim you slow down a bit also. And there's a weapon wheel so it's easy to change weapons on the fly.

The game looks great. Very colorful and easy on the eyes. This game has it's own sense of style and it's gushing personality. The only bad thing I've noticed is that the textures on some of the clothes take a second to load during customization. Haven't noticed any pop in during gameplay however.

I can't wait to dive into Sunset Overdrive more tomorrow and hopefully I'll get the controls down more and more.

I don't own an XBox One but I hope everyone ends up liking it!

Thanks buddy. I hope you get a change to eventually play it in the next few years! I don't want you to miss out. It seems like it's going to be a very likable title!

Hubble

The game is amazing and the best I've played all year. Insomniac puts fun and color in an apocalypse! Wow. Amazing concept.

Unity2012

Played for about an hour so far and my first impressions are: a lot of fun, colorful and fast, really, really fast!

Weapons are hilarious and fun to use. It takes a little bit--at least for me, to get use to the grinding, jumping, wall running and melee. The environments are not just colorful but truly vibrant and different.

Great job Insomniac.

So I did a digital pre-order and I don't see the Day One DLC, the Fizie Cotume and what not.

Some of my digital pre-order content still said pre-ordered and weren't download. Go to: My Games and Apps > Games > Manage Sunset Overdrive. Then download everything that says pre-ordered.

Leyasu

Banned
Love xbox! pre-loaded this off of the US store, last night I changed the timezone on my xbone, and before i left for work this morning the game was ready to play! Whereas if i leave it on EU time, I would have to wait.

Anyway cant wait to finally play this.

Rourkey

Loving all the impressions and everyone saying how Fun it is! Exactly how I felt with FH2, be amazing if MS have knocked it out the park with the 2 most fun games being XB1 exclusives this year!

In the days where digital downloads are more popular, why do publishers still stagger the release dates? It's not coming out until the 31st in the UK.

Sunset Overdrive is beautiful, fast and frantic.

I've been zipping and bouncing all over the map, just checking out the scenery and this game delivers!

Chaos Mode is definitely chaotic and ridiculously fun.

I need to get better at grinding and jumping!

Can't wait to really dig into this tomorrow, my one glorious day out of the kitchen.

It's every bit as fun as ratchet n clank mixed with Tony Hawk and jet set radio sounds. BUY this game!!!

Edit: if MS added the fucking custom soundtrack feature for this, my god ....

So I thought I'd get up to take a break after playing for a couple minutes. I get up to get some kombucha and happen to glance at the clock on the way back... 3 freaking hours have past...

95413-ron-swanson-what-the-hell-just-RT4g.gif

Mr White

Can't wait to get home and play this fucking videogame!
And congrats to Insomaniac and MS. I hope this partnership will continue
Also, cool OT

ChristianSpicer

Neo Member
Snap reactions / thoughts after about 2hrs:
Like it. Don't love it. Might love it after the controls feel more second-nature. Currently I still hit melee when I meant to hit roll, still miss grind turns when I wanna hit them, not landing the exact lines I want to yet either.

That said, it's fast, bright, chaotic (in a good way), and dripping with style. Some may not the particular style they went with but kiddos to Insomniac for having a vision and going after it.

Don't think it'll ever be the game where the "story" is what draws me back. Instead it'll be the desire to blow stuff up, wreck shop, and pull sweet lines and combos.

Excited to play more.

PrinceKee

Played for an hour doing like the first four missions and messing around. The game controls incredible and looks really good. I had fun with it, but watching videos and reviews of this I knew I wouldn't like the vibe and story of the game and I don't. Hopefully the missions will get more interesting and keep me coming back...

the posts in this thread are suspiciously positive.

They are all shills. Isn't it obvious? There was a ton of hype in the review thread, but clearly not everyone who was excited for it were going to get it right on the spot. They are probably waiting for Gaf impressions, and the people posting ITT know that. Tell me why you haven't seen one little negative thing posted here so far?

Don't you see? They are just trying to manufacture hype so the people who are still on the fence will buy into it. Even after people buy it, they will be disappointed with it, because it's not as good as people here are making it out to be. These shills are slick though. Their impressions are so positive that it will make other real people who play it feel like they have to like it or else there is something wrong with them. So even they will starting posting fake positive impressions, which would ultimately be lying to themselves, and everyone else.

It's honestly psychology 101.

Top Bottom