• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

Lucent

Man they really nailed traversal. There's always a way to keep going and you hardly have to think about it much. It just becomes second nature. I feel awesome when I'm getting around.

And I'm guessing the game is auto-saving all the time and I can just back out to the home screen and press "start" and quit the game that way?

hey guys, a friend of mine is playing the game and he is complaining about the controls, how are they? I don't know if he's right or if he's influenced in some way by other friend who tried the demo at an event and told him about crappy controls
If he's playing the game, then what's the issue? He's complaining about the controls, so maybe they just don't feel right to him.

MaxiLive

Cons:
-Crappy graphics especially weak textures. Should have been 1080p.
-On better hardware this could have been a looker. Thanks Mattrick.

Would look better at 4k downscale and 120fps, damn you Mattrick why did you not make a console a $2000 machine! Also damn you developers for not having at least a 10 man super team who focus solely on graphic optimization, also damn you for making a game this early on a hardware cycle at sub resolution.

Sorry, I just hate people complaining about numbers and especially using such low terms as "crappy" when it comes to visuals as not one of the next-gen games that has been sub 1080p has looked crappy...

Etnos

Banned
hey guys, a friend of mine is playing the game and he is complaining about the controls, how are they? I don't know if he's right or if he's influenced in some way by other friend who tried the demo at an event and told him about crappy controls

If you expect it to be: " press -A- move forward you character does all the work Assasins Creed style " is not like that... Traversing does require skill and getting use to the controls, so as for example you don't just snap to rails automatically you need to time out X press once you are close to a rail or a wall. Took me like 30 mins to get the traversal part down, once you do that the game is amazing.

I like it better this way, it is more engaging for me to move around in this game, contrary to most modern 3rd person action games.

Lucent

Um how long did he give it a try for? I picked up the controls in the first half hour and I feel like I've mastered them already lol. They're not that hard. practically everything that has to do with traversal is the X button. And I'm glad they did this instead of making it all sticky/automatic so you're not always doing something you don't want to. It's really easy once you get it down. All the traversal stuff makes sense as you play it.

It also feels like they placed everything strategically but not so much that you can only get around a certain way. But I like the water areas where they have boats sorta spaced out and you can glide on the water just long enough to get to a boat, jump off that boat and hit the water gliding again to get to another boat and repeat til you get to land or something. It's all so cohesive and I really love it.

Feels easy to learn and some skill to master as far as going higher or getting better. But overall it's super easy and I love it.

Nodnol

I was on the fence, but woke up just thought "meh, why not?"

Reviews are good, people seem to be enjoying it, it's a new game to play and it's supporting more exclusive titles, so I'd be silly not to buy it.

God Bless Region Free! Cheaper, and earlier!

webkatt

nice!

can you save created characters, or if you switch will you have to rebuild every time?

5 more hours for me! cant wait.

You can save outfits but you cant save the "character" per se.

There are 4 body types, 2 male and 2 female.

Each body type has 18 faces. The game doesn't have any sliders like saints row to make a "unique character", can't change proportions skin tone, etc.

Recreating a character is pretty easy due to this.

And I can't stress this this enough, make a character and play the game. Don't focus on the customization like I did.

I spend almost an hour getting the "right" character, only to start the game over to recreate my character to see different options.

About 20-30 mins in the game you are allowed to recreate your character as you see fit. (Change everything, gender face, etc)

The game lets you customize/rebuild your character at any time provided you're at a clothing vendor/your home base.

There is no gender specific clothing.

Daigoro

good tip thanks.

that's odd about no skin tone options though! seems like an oversight in a game with so much customization. too bad.

LoveCake

Thank you.

You can save outfits but you cant save the "character" per se.

There are 4 body types, 2 male and 2 female.

Each body type has 18 faces. The game doesn't have any sliders like saints row to make a "unique character", can't change proportions skin tone, etc.

Recreating a character is pretty easy due to this.

And I can't stress this this enough, make a character and play the game. Don't focus on the customization like I did.

I spend almost an hour getting the "right" character, only to start the game over to recreate my character to see different options.

About 20-30 mins in the game you are allowed to recreate your character as you see fit. (Change everything, gender face, etc)

The game lets you customize/rebuild your character at any time provided you're at a clothing vendor/your home base.

There is no gender specific clothing.

Can you not just create a character when starting the game for the very first time & then when given the option to re-create your character to decline or just not change anything & carry on playing?

When you save the game & then return the next day to play & re-load your save will it load up the unchanged character as i have described above?

It seems strange otherwise because if you can create a unique character then if it keeps changing you will not be able to form a bond or affinity with the character.

derFeef

Can you not just create a character when starting the game for the very first time & then when given the option to re-create your character to decline or just not change anything & carry on playing?

When you save the game & then return the next day to play & re-load your save will it load up the unchanged character as i have described above?

It seems strange otherwise because if you can create a unique character then if it keeps changing you will not be able to form a bond or affinity with the character.

You can always chose for yourself to roll with the initially created character for the whole game. But what's the fun if the game has tons of unlockable clothes :)

LoveCake

You can always chose for yourself to roll with the initially created character for the whole game. But what's the fun if the game has tons of unlockable clothes :)

You can just change the clothes on the character though!

I want to have a purple haired warrior woman in a skimpy outfit, sort of like Bayonetta !

BokehKing

Banned
After duds like Ryse and Dead Rising 3 and so-so stuff like Titanfall this is the exclusive that deserves to sell some boxen (and Halo obviously).

It is pretty criminal that this isn't 60fps or 1080p at the very least, but I suppose that is the burden of the failed Xbox one design more than the fault of the developer. It certainly doesn't diminish what seems to be a really great title, but I can't help but think that on better HW this could have shined even brighter.
Ugh.... I want to play the game but that last paragraph is just foreshadowing the future of that console with its limitations. I want to play but don't want to feel like "ugh why did I spend $300 + on this system again" I understand what you're saying, it's too much fun to pass up, and yeah it could have been better, I'll just have to wait until after November 2nd, wait for the holiday deal

Mdk7

My feelings so far after a little more than an hour:

Pros:
-Great style
-Looks pretty good in motion.
-Framerate not as bad as I expected- handles large groups well.
-No loading.
-Breaking the 4th wall works quite well.
-Gunplay is a blast even with a bit too liberal auto-aim.
-Good design provides lots of chance to use the mechanics.
-Not much learning curve

Cons:
-On better hardware this could have been a looker. Thanks Mattrick.

-Some might find annoying.

So far I must say I'm having a really good time. The gameplay is unique despite surface similarities to stuff like Titanfall and Second Son.

After duds like Ryse and Dead Rising 3 and so-so stuff like Titanfall this is the exclusive that deserves to sell some boxen (and Halo obviously). I'm glad the Bone is getting a really solid and unique game like this if only for my own selfish desire to justify what hasn't been thus far the most sound launch purchase I've made. As far as I'm concerned this is the best reason to buy a Bone at the moment. Unless you are a Forza/racing fan I suppose.

I've always loved Insomniac and they really shine here. MS was very smart to get in on this, and I'm sure after FUSE they got a better deal than a solid dev like Insomniac is worth.

It is pretty criminal that this isn't 60fps or 1080p at the very least, but I suppose that is the burden of the failed Xbox one design more than the fault of the developer. It certainly doesn't diminish what seems to be a really great title, but I can't help but think that on better HW this could have shined even brighter.

Dude, WTF?
Are you playing what i am playing?
I frankly think it looks GORGEOUS, and it's really one of those games where you keep feeling the generational leap.

I'm really disappointed with the gameplay. It doesn't feel as fluid as it should be.

Some area designs don't fit with the control this game has, as the construction site. Spent like five minutes just to get on tops of the crane because I kept failing to jump and land on upper levels of the grinding area.

derfybzh

Euro here, I bought the game from US Marketplace, last time I 've done this I was able to play before my titanfall digital copy.

Except this time I click on install and the game is downloaded a second time from the store :'(

Now to wait for 12 hours with my crappy connection to see If I get a message to wait for the Euro release date.

I hope I can play it tonight :'( Worst case scenario I will have donwload the game two times and have to wait the euro release date.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Seriously after the first cutscene I was blown away that is was actually all in-game in game you just start playing!

I'm really disappointed with the gameplay. It doesn't feel as fluid as it should be.

Some area designs don't fit with the control this game has, as the construction site. Spent like five minutes just to get on tops of the crane because I kept failing to jump and land on upper levels of the grinding area.

Were you pressing X to "snap" onto the grinding area? Seems quite a generous hitbox.

Guerrilla

Sitting here reading the positive impressions looking forward to playing tomorrow, when suddenly I'm remembering that I have to go to birthday party tomorrow...

sudden_realization_christopher_lloyd.gif

Pros:
-Great style
-Framerate not as bad as I expected- handles large groups well.

Cons:
-On better hardware this could have been a looker.

The Pros are directly against the Cons.

And the assumption this would be 1080/60 elsewhere is nonsense.

p3tran

Banned
My feelings ......
-Crappy graphics......weak textures. .......Should have been 1080p.
-On better hardware this could have been a looker........ Thanks Mattrick.
-Some might find .....annoying.
...despite surface similarities to stuff like Titanfall and ......Second Son.
....duds like Ryse and Dead Rising 3......so-so stuff like Titanfall......
......always loved Insomniac and they really shine here. MS was very smart...
.......It is pretty criminal that this isn't 60fps or 1080p at the very least,
......the burden of the failed Xbox one design more than the fault of the developer.
........I can't help but think that on better HW this could have shined even brighter.

el oh el

nbraun80

Just a few impressions before I pass out. Like every one else, there's that 30 mins. of feeling awkward with the controls then slowly getting it, and then finally flowing from rail to rail to bounce. Played about 5 hours and don't think I got too far at all into the main story, get way to distracted by getting gold in time trails, collecting fizzys and cameras and such and side missions. Really need to get to the point in the main mission where you get air dash to complete my traversal flowing. Also liking the story and getting laughs from the humor. Played one chaos squad game with some people who were not so hot. I was first in all the missions and I think we only passed one or two. We did however survive the night stand but that's probably because our chaos lvl was only 33. Lol. Was crazy fun though and hectic, and got a nice reward at the end.

As you can tell I'm having a blast and sad I must sleep.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Yes, but still didn't fall in the grinding area. When it comes to horizontal movement I have no issues, but when I have to go up... Sometimes is frustrating.

Don't know if it applies in that specific area, but the best thing I've gotten down is do the grind where you're hanging under it, then hit X and A in succession to get a really high jump off the rail.

I definitely want an amp for an air dash, and would like to see what other traversal ones they have like higher bounce jumps.

tuna_love

Banned
Don't know if it applies in that specific area, but the best thing I've gotten down is do the grind where you're hanging under it, then hit X and A in succession to get a really high jump off the rail.

I definitely want an amp for an air dash, and would like to see what other traversal ones they have like higher bounce jumps.
You get both

Kssio_Aug

Ok everyone! It is time! I will put play it now finally! T-T
Unfortunately I can only play for half of a hour, I have to study for 2 exams this week! =(

SURGEdude

Pros:
-Great style

Heh really? Game looks great to me. Fantastic art style.

Oh I agree about the art. But a lot of the textures are pretty rough up close. These can be pretty distracting during cutscenes. Early on a clock on the necklace of a character and a car/helicopter are some clear examples.

Top Bottom