• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive |OT| It's Always Sunny in the Apocalypse

Played for 15 mins before work.

I like it. Haven't experienced that much yet, but the tone and design of the game seem just fine to me. Seen loads of parodies already that made me at least smile.

The controls definitely have a learning curve, but are still kind of intuitive once you're accustomed. This game will probably generate quite a few awesome game lips of people getting great lines and kills from all type of weird airborne angles.

Oh and the moment when you realise the balls on he first gun you get hang and swing as you move.........yeah........lol

Bgamer90

Banned
This game is so good. I'm completely used to the controls now so I'm just moving/flowing all around the areas. One of the best games this year.

• This game impresses right out of the box. Everything is polished and bristling with creativity. Great intro cinematic. Great credits. Great menus. Great style everywhere.

• The game looks fabulous. Yes, you can see it's not 1080p (at least I don't think so), and the city doesn't have the super shiny perfection of Infamous, but it's close. And it's way more colorful and just easier to look at for me. It's a world I want to be in.

• The art style has that boldness that reminds of the best Xbox exclusives like Banjo, Fable, and many indie titles used effectively. I definitely notice the increased contrast on the Xbone vs. PS4 (don't flame me—this is right). You lose some detail with crushed blacks, but you really get that pop from the colors that the Sony systems never have. This game is made for the Xbone.

• So many other good things: a stream-lined and well-designed character creation system; great choices for outfits and hair/beards; grinding is Jet Set Radio all over again; shooting and melee feel tight and responsive; cool side characters.

My biggest beef right now is the whiney actor playing the male protagonist. Oh well. I'll be streaming tomorrow for anyone at work who needs a distraction.

Basketball

I really recommend doing the point challenge in the construction site and try to get the best score

After that the controls will become second nature

Like butter man like butter

That... doesn't sound normal. Digital games usually take 1-2 hours for me, and I'm not exactly on a fast connection.

Yeah i know, i have a lot of digital ps4 games and they're normally much faster, i'm going to hard boot my xbox one.

My internet might just be being crap today.

And i'm not trying to compare the two consoles! just talking from experience this generation.

SegaShack

Played for 2 hours. This game is awesome. It's like if Infamous was actually good and fluid. This is just such a well done game. I'm really blown away by it. My favorite Insomniac game since Ratchet Tools of Destruction.

Jrs3000

Can you edit your character any time, like swap genders, features etc or just clothes and accessories after starting?

That seems more than reasonable. Hopefully I can get the hang of them relatively quickly, when I get the game in three damn days.

3 days, Blame hollowman LOL!

So I've got a physical copy of COD Ghost's laying around that I've literally played twice, anybody know what the trade in is worth at GameStop? It wasn't listed among the Xbox One games on their site. Saw it was worth $20 at Best Buy.

Either way, it needs a new home, and I need SSOD.

JambiBum

Does anyone know if there is a place to track the weekly challenge? Sunset TV says that it is to kill 200 blowers with the flaming compensator, but I don't see anywhere you can track it.

tuna_love

Banned
How much of a learning curve are we talking?

I've heard it can range from as little as 10-15 minutes to almost an hour to get really comfortable with the controls and be able to pull off fluid traversal.
10-15 mins makes you think your good. After an hour you are doing crazy shit naturally. So fucking good

Can anyone confirm this has a language filter ? I know my little boy would love to just grind around the city but I know a lot of the story stuff has language.

I remember seeing somewhere it does have a language filter .

Can anyone confirm this has a language filter ? I know my little boy would love to just grind around the city but I know a lot of the story stuff has language.

I remember seeing somewhere it does have a language filter .

There is a vulgarity filter, it bleeps out the language - make sure you turn it on RIGHT AWAY (there is a reason it is mentioned in the very first loading tip). There is also a gore filter that removes the blood (but the game is still pretty violent).

SURGEdude

My feelings so far after a little more than an hour:

Pros:
-Great style
-Looks pretty good in motion.
-Framerate not as bad as I expected- handles large groups well.
-No loading.
-Breaking the 4th wall works quite well.
-Gunplay is a blast even with a bit too liberal auto-aim.
-Good design provides lots of chance to use the mechanics.
-Not much learning curve

Cons:
-Crappy graphics especially weak textures. Should have been 1080p.
-On better hardware this could have been a looker. Thanks Mattrick.
-Some might find annoying.

So far I must say I'm having a really good time. The gameplay is unique despite surface similarities to stuff like Titanfall and Second Son.

After duds like Ryse and Dead Rising 3 and so-so stuff like Titanfall this is the exclusive that deserves to sell some boxen (and Halo obviously). I'm glad the Bone is getting a really solid and unique game like this if only for my own selfish desire to justify what hasn't been thus far the most sound launch purchase I've made. As far as I'm concerned this is the best reason to buy a Bone at the moment. Unless you are a Forza/racing fan I suppose.

I've always loved Insomniac and they really shine here. MS was very smart to get in on this, and I'm sure after FUSE they got a better deal than a solid dev like Insomniac is worth.

It is pretty criminal that this isn't 60fps or 1080p at the very least, but I suppose that is the burden of the failed Xbox one design more than the fault of the developer. It certainly doesn't diminish what seems to be a really great title, but I can't help but think that on better HW this could have shined even brighter.

To everyone playing today...

QbUzvkv.gif

Couldn't have put it better myself.

It is pretty criminal that this isn't 60fps or 1080p at the very least, but I suppose that is the burden of the failed Xbox one design more than the fault of the developer. It certainly doesn't diminish what seems to be a really great title, but I can't help but think that on better HW this could have shined even brighter.

FYI, this game wouldn't be 60fps at 1080p on any console.

LoveCake

I have the white Xbone on order, what is the 'Day One Edition in-game content consist of, i cannot find any info about it, anyone know?

• The game looks fabulous. Yes, you can see it's not 1080p (at least I don't think so).

Can you tell or not?
Must be like killzone multiplayer.

Anyway, my d/l is at 35% and I can start playing... Is this a good idea? Any issues playing a partially downloaded game?

derFeef

I have the white Xbone on order, what is the 'Day One Edition in-game content consist of, i cannot find any info about it, anyone know?

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/consoles/bundles/sunset-overdrive

Includes a full game download and Day One Edition in-game content to equip you with the overcharged “Nothin’ but the Hits” gun, “Fizzie” character outfit, and “Hardcore! Hammer”, an improvised melee weapon for smashing your enemies.

Can you tell or not?
Must be like killzone multiplayer.

Anyway, my d/l is at 35% and I can start playing... Is this a good idea? Any issues playing a partially downloaded game?

You should be good to play the opening sequence. It won't let you get past that until its installed the first island of the game, and then it will block you off from leaving that until the rest is done.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Is the grind boost a one time press or not? I can't really tell. Each time you hit it the game gives off a visual boost effect but I'm not sure if it's actually speeding up beyond the initial one.

Top Bottom