• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 10: Frienders Support Straight Shota

That's why.

I'll amend it on 3, it should be in the top 20, if not 10, but I hold my stance on 4. It's not an essential game and I don't think there's more than 20/30 essential RPGs out there. And if there are, P4 wouldn't be a part of it. It only belongs on the 50 list because there aren't much must play/essential RPGs out there. It's only in there because you can't think of anything else with more significance at that place in the line.

I also don't know of every single RPG out there and what qualifies as an RPG in this list. If I knew more about the genre I could probably find 50 others to bounce persona 4 the fuck out of there, but I've never even played a CRPG before.

Beloved

Us? Sure but the regular youtube people would be more likely to miss it.

I dont see how, they'd see there are two new videos when they look at the channel. And if they are subscribed, it will also show as two new unseen videos.

The "regular youtube people" probably dont check the channel at EXACTLY the moment vids get uploaded either, anyone that checks the channel after these vids were posted will just be like "Oh hey there's a couple of new tbf vids, cool"

360pages

Funny enough, I'd probably put Disgaea above both Persona 3 and 4 as RPGs that you should play. Mostly due to the nature of the game and it really being the first Parody/Deconstruction RPG that got really big.

I don't think essential is the same as how good the game is.

I'll amend it on 3, it should be in the top 20, if not 10, but I hold my stance on 4. It's not an essential game and I don't think there's more than 20/30 essential RPGs out there. And if there are, P4 wouldn't be a part of it. It only belongs on the 50 list because there aren't much must play/essential RPGs out there. It's only in there because you can't think of anything else with more significance at that place in the line.

First off, I don't think any Persona game is an essential RPG. Second, your reasons for it to not be on the list, much like the reasons it is on the list, are personal bias. There are no objective Best/Essential/Worst/Whatever lists because a lot of things are subjective.

croten

I dont see how, they'd see there are two new videos when they look at the channel. And if they are subscribed, it will also show as two new unseen videos.

The "regular youtube people" probably dont check the channel at EXACTLY the moment vids get uploaded either, anyone that checks the channel after these vids were posted will just be like "Oh hey there's a couple of new tbf vids, cool"

It's mostly that the hype for each video is split in half. Less groundswell for pats new LP.

Funny enough, I'd probably put Disgaea above both Persona 3 and 4 as RPGs that you should play. Mostly due to the nature of the game and it really being the first Parody/Deconstruction RPG that got really big.

I don't think essential is the same as how good the game is.

Earthbound is the first parody of the RPG. It's a fucking shame that the game was relegated to cult status in order to become recognized, because I still believe that game should've sold many more units than it did on the SNES.

Matt's NMH1 playthrough is super hype, love it.

Thanks Superbestfriendsbama.
Solo Matt has turned out better than expected so far. Again, I love informative style LPs, and he's carried this first video with his knowledge and experiences quite well.

I'm anxious for more of this and Silent Hill 2 out of all the current LPs.

First off, I don't think any Persona game is an essential RPG. Second, your reasons for it to not be on the list, much like the reasons it is on the list, are personal bias. There are no objective Best/Essential/Worst/Whatever lists because a lot of things are subjective.

Well I mean every opinion is subjective. I'm just sharing mine about why persona 4 is not an essential RPG. My word isn't law clearly and I've never acted like it was. I think P3 is cool in the changes it brought and was a very experimental game with its calander system which is why you can make the top 20 or even 10 argument for it, but I don't think there's anything essential about p4 worth seeing. It's all opinion.

I'll also admit that at the time my list fell to the same trap as others with a mix of essential and top. Which is why the extreme love for TWEWY, but no love for even Drakengard 1 or Earthbound which either parodied or deconstructed the entire genre.

360pages

Earthbound is the first parody of the RPG. It's a fucking shame that the game was relegated to cult status in order to become recognized, because I still believe that game should've sold many more units than it did on the SNES.

Oh, I know...I shill the hell out of EarthBound, honestly, there are a lot of games that I would put over SMT/Persona games as essentials and I'm not even talking about games Like Chrono Trigger and stuff.

PlayStation Move is so underrated.

There is a reason why the Killzone 3 servers were split.

Serious.gif

Well I mean every opinion is subjective. I'm just sharing mine about why persona 4 is not an essential RPG. My word isn't law clearly and I've never acted like it was. I think P3 is cool in the changes it brought and was a very experimental game with its calander system which is why you can make the top 20 or even 10 argument for it, but I don't think there's anything essential about p4 worth seeing. It's all opinion.

I'll also admit that at the time my list fell to the same trap as others with a mix of essential and top. Which is why the extreme love for TWEWY, but no love for even Drakengard 1 or Earthbound which either parodied or deconstructed the entire genre.

I don't think you could make either of those arguments when P3 has issues like bad s links, bad pacing, no party control, etc. P4 fixes a lot of these issues which is why it would make more sense for it to be on the list. Still, I'll say again that I don't think any of the persona games are "essential"

I don't think you could make either of those arguments when P3 has issues like bad s links, bad pacing, no party control, etc. P4 fixes a lot of these issues which is why it would make more sense for it to be on the list. Still, I'll say again that I don't think any of the persona games are "essential"

If it's a top 50 then I can't see how at least one persona game wouldn't be on it (my vote for 2), but in terms of essential you have a point.

I also think just because persona 4 fixes the problems of p3, it doesn't mean they're not still extremely flawed systems. The pacing of p4 is better, but still atrocious and the same with the s-links. I only mean because p3 was the first to introduce all of it, I'd see that being more essential because of the unique way it introduced all those new concepts into one game, even if you can argue p4 did it "better."

But I'm pretty much on board for the no persona games. Clearly other RPGs especially in that whole series, deserve the essential tag like Nocturne.

Top Bottom