• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 10: Frienders Support Straight Shota

If there's one thing I've learned about GAF it's that the thread title matters far more than the OP.

If it was "Underrated RPG list", it wouldn't be as bad.

I still don't think there's anything "essential" about Persona 3/4 as an RPG since its RPG elements are often seen as the worst parts of the game.

People play those two games for the life sim elements and strictly that. But I can't do anything about GAF's biased love for those games.

If someone new was getting into the RPG genre, I wouldn't push them anywhere towards Persona 3/4 and not just because I think Persona 4 is a bad game. I'm ok with Chrono Trigger being one because even if its not the greatest, its still an essiential RPG that did so much for the genre and is popular, but isn't as well known as something like Final Fantasy or Mass Effect (to most gamers today anyway).

demidar

If there's one thing I've learned about GAF it's that the thread title matters far more than the OP.

If it was "Underrated RPG list", it wouldn't be as bad.

The problem you run into then is what constitutes an underrated RPG. Drawing a line in the sand is gonna be bloody.

Tako

If the girl likes me so much that she wants some of my hair then she can have it. I have no gripes about this.

What if she was a nympho and everyday you had to struggle with, bites and scratches. And it was so bad that she kept you up at night because she wants to be satisfied. Twice in the morning, a quickie during lunch and a couple more time after dinner? Huh cthulhu huh?

See. This guy gets it.

Yeah until she makes a necklace out of it made to look like you and tell everyone you're soulmates.

Well....

Eh I would probably find that sweet in a creepy way, sweet nonetheless. Fuck it I'd give her a shot, plus if shes that committed she would probably do anything I say... <.<
What if she was a nympho and everyday you had to struggle with, bites and scratches. And it was so bad that she kept you up at night because she wants to be satisfied. Twice in the morning, a quickie during lunch and a couple more time after dinner? Huh cthulhu huh?

I'd be down for that.

I could probably find some ways to incorporate lunch into that quickie somehow.

Okingjrr

That sounds like you made the better choice there, then.
They foreshadow Jotaro's power a bit, and Joseph not dying is really just done as a comedic whatever
When do they foreshadow it? It's all a blur seeing as though I read a shit ton of it today. I really thought Dio came back for a second, it was a logical explanation
Oh yeah when
the did the blood thing I was like "That's fucking bullshit. Wouldn't he turn into a vampire?"

JoJo is fun
Yeah, figured that out the second it happened
You're goddamn right it is!

they didn't put dios vampire essence in Joseph, only Josephs old blood.
How would they do that?

I still don't think there's anything "essential" about Persona 3/4 as an RPG since its RPG elements are often seen as the worst parts of the game.

People play those two games for the life sim elements and strictly that. But I can't do anything about GAF's biased love for those games.

If someone new was getting into the RPG genre, I wouldn't push them anywhere towards Persona 3/4 and not just because I think Persona 4 is a bad game. I'm ok with Chrono Trigger being one because even if its not the greatest, its still an essiential RPG that did so much for the genre and is popular, but isn't as well known as something like Final Fantasy or Mass Effect (to most gamers today anyway).
Really it just depends on your audience, but convincing people to nail down genres is kinda rough. Hell, being an RPG list there's people doing CRPGs, JRPGs, and other stuff that's hardly comparable. Genres are kinda simplistic, and you can fit a ton of games under the label.

I kind of resent the Game of Thrones LP

I WANT MORE SUPER MARIO RPG

tumblr_miyej1KRq31rrftcdo1_500.gif

Dungeon crawling isn't the only important part of an rpg. Story and characters are as important if not more so. While you may not like those aspects of P3 and P4, other people do and that is why they are considered to be essential.

I'd like to know what dating someone who can't be satisfied would be like.

Really it just depends on your audience, but convincing people to nail down genres is kinda rough. Hell, being an RPG list there's people doing CRPGs, JRPGs, and other stuff that's hardly comparable. Genres are kinda simplistic, and you can fit a ton of games under the label.

I guess so. Its just a bigger problem with actually what an RPG is and what defines an RPG. I just think that if we're talking about "essential" I can't see what makes Persona 4 (but less so 3) more essential than something like SMT 3 Nocturne which revolutionalized that entire genre, while Persona 4 is just copy paste of Persona 3 except more SoL.

Excluding my personal opinions of course because otherwise I'd just be listing my top 10. I guess when I think of essential, I think of "games you have to play because look what it did for the genre!" and I don't see Persona 4 being any higher than like in the 30s/40s if that.

Dungeon crawling isn't the only important part of an rpg. Story and characters are as important if not more so. While you may not like those aspects of P3 and P4, other people do and that is why they are considered to be essential.

I'm ok with Persona 3 since it changed a lot about its own formula and should be seen by people who want to get into RPGs (even if its not as essential as other SMT games). Persona 4 baffles me, especially at #2. And if we're talking about good story/characters then P2 would blow both of them out of the water. There's just nothing new or essential Persona 4 did that wasn't seen in other games before it. There's nothing essential about it that has to be seen.

I guess so. Its just a bigger problem with actually what an RPG is and what defines an RPG. I just think that if we're talking about "essential" I can't see what makes Persona 4 (but less so 3) more essential than something like SMT 3 Nocturne which revolutionalized that entire genre, while Persona 4 is just copy paste of Persona 3 except more SoL.

Excluding my personal opinions of course because otherwise I'd just be listing my top 10. I guess when I think of essential, I think of "games you have to play because look what it did for the genre!" and I don't see Persona 4 being any higher than like in the 30s/40s if that.
Actually the whole essential part falls into the same trap of semantics and people just wanting to put their favorites. There's no real way to poll public opinion and not have that happen, too many people associate personal enjoyment with objective quality without thinking.

Games that changed JRPGs throughout time could be a list on its own, let alone RPGs. While I agree that, really, none of the games in the Persona series are terribly important in the grand scheme of the genre, people are probably just listing their favorites.

Actually the whole essential part falls into the same trap of semantics and people just wanting to put their favorites. There's no real way to poll public opinion and not have that happen, too many people associate personal enjoyment with objective quality without thinking.

Games that changed JRPGs throughout time could be a list on its own, let alone RPGs. While I agree that, really, none of the games in the Persona series are terribly important in the grand scheme of the genre, people are probably just listing their favorites.

That's why arguing about it won't really change much since its just a favorites list pretending to be an essential list. It was meant to be flawed from the very beginning when it decided to be a fan vote instead of just a team of a few people who have decades of experience in the genre coming up with their own list of essential RPGs, which is what it should have been if you really wanted an essential list and not a favorites list.

I'm ok with Persona 3 since it changed a lot about its own formula and should be seen by people who want to get into RPGs (even if its not as essential as other SMT games). Persona 4 baffles me, especially at #2. And if we're talking about good story/characters then P2 would blow both of them out of the water. There's just nothing new or essential Persona 4 did that wasn't seen in other games before it. There's nothing essential about it that has to be seen.

It doesn't matter if it was the first to do it or not because it did a lot of stuff better than P3. Things like the pacing, the S Links, and the life sim elements in general. Of course, there a things that P4 did worse in like characters and dungeon crawling, but those they weren't terrible. Basically, the real reason that P4 is always on "Essential RPGs" lists is because of it's life sim elements.

All this crazy girl talk made us forget that a new best friends video came out

Top Bottom