• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 11: COMP! COMP! COMP! COMP! C-O-M-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

semisonic

Banned
I never really cared for Spyro but I played through the Crash games again not all that long ago, they were still really enjoyable.

When I was a kid, I actually tested one of the
shitty gameboy
crash games. It kinda messed with my view of crash overall, because the only other game I would ever end up playing in the series would be
tag team racing. I know I should give the early mainline ones another try, but I just can't bring myself to.

Nordicus

Aw man Total War: Warhammer is real! Awesome.
Would a TW Warhammer game possibly have any political aspect to it, I'm not quite as familiar with that as 40K?

I've tried few hours of Medieval 2, but the tutorial only ever touched the tactical combat, and that I got down pretty easily. Once I was put in proper world map however, I found the diplomacy and city management aspect a bit overwhelming because I was taught nothing about it.

"Wait, do I send a general here, a diplomat in that country, or a princess- wait what does the mayor do, aww geez, everything's a mess~"

Xiraiya

But they're not even that hard, some levels were pretty tricky but all you had to do was stop and think about it.

This just reminds me of the Giant Bomb Gran Turismo problem, I hate the video game industry so goddamn much.

I found GT and MGS harder than Crash games, though MGS had a weird thing where it seemed really hard until you realized AI limitations and then it was easy.

But they're not even that hard, some levels were pretty tricky but all you had to do was stop and think about it.

This just reminds me of the Giant Bomb Gran Turismo problem, I hate the video game industry so goddamn much.

we need to Senator Armstrong it from the inside
thus a new videogame industry will rise from the ashes

thats probably why Sony wont make a Crash game
because everyones a weak babby at videogames nowadays

Eh, most kids would probably get pissed because it's "too hard". Back when games were good, playing Tekken 3 for the last freezy pop..doing speedruns in Crash and Spyro. Trying to beat Shadow Moses in MGS, Resident Evil 2, Final Fantasy Tactics.

Those games turned us into fucking tigers.

AVGN Reference there.

Nothing is more satisfying than winning Mario Party through dumb luck and people getting salty. It's amazing. I love those games.

The some of the mashing games are super fun, I can think of a bunch of time when me and friend would be neck and neck in our mashing speeds. It's simple and luck based, but damn it's fun.

I actually played a ton of Mario Party 5 Singleplayer against computers. I just love those mini games.

Are you getting Mario Party 10?

semisonic

Banned

Would you mind giving a bit of a tl;dr? I haven't seen the reviews, and I couldn't find much online about it...

Emouse

Nothing is more satisfying than winning Mario Party through dumb luck and people getting salty. It's amazing. I love those games.

The some of the mashing games are super fun, I can think of a bunch of time when me and friend would be neck and neck in our mashing speeds. It's simple and luck based, but damn it's fun.

I actually played a ton of Mario Party 5 Singleplayer against computers. I just love those mini games.

Yooo Mario party is great, 5 is the one I played most of too can't wait for the new one on wii u

Jman014

Would a TW Warhammer game possibly have any political aspect to it, I'm not quite as familiar with that as 40K?

I've tried few hours of Medieval 2, but the tutorial only ever touched the tactical combat, and that I got down pretty easily. Once I was put in proper world map however, I found the diplomacy and city management aspect a bit overwhelming because I was taught nothing about it.

"Wait, do I send a general here, a diplomat in that country, or a princess- wait what does the mayor do, aww geez, everything's a mess~"

Yeah it would, at least in the campaign. I'm also not as familiar with Warhammer Fantasy as Warhammer 40k but I still find it interesting. I even played Warhammer Online for awhile.

semisonic

Banned
Probably. I want the Gamepad stuff to be fun. I'm hoping they drop the "Everybody is in a car" thing, or at least make it optional.

Doesn't seem like it from the trailer. There's an alternate game mode where you can play old-school, but the only maps are squares.

Xiraiya

we need to Senator Armstrong it from the inside
thus a new videogame industry will rise from the ashes

The Souls games are an important franchise for the industry in re-introducing people to difficulty through logic and thinking.

Even then, the souls games aren't that hard, everything dies really quickly and you're entirely safe if you just know how to move effectively and take your time.
That was the biggest shock to me, I went into Dark Souls expecting enemies to take like no damage and kill you in one hit or some nonsense.
But no, not even close, I was amazed at how easy it was to get through each area if you just had the right mindset, that's all you need.

The Souls games are an important franchise for the industry in re-introducing people to difficulty through logic and thinking.

Even then, the souls games aren't that hard, everything dies really quickly and you're entirely safe if you just know how to move effectively and take your time.
That was the biggest shock to me, I went into Dark Souls expecting enemies to take like no damage and kill you in one hit or some nonsense.
But no, not even close, I was amazed at how easy it was to get through each area if you just had the right mindset, that's all you need.
I agree, once you get into the proper mindset, you can breeze through a Souls game pretty easily. After that the most dangerous thing becomes yourself and the shitty platforming in the game.

tsundoku

Eh, most kids would probably get pissed because it's "too hard". Back when games were good, playing Tekken 3 for the last freezy pop..doing speedruns in Crash and Spyro. Trying to beat Shadow Moses in MGS, Resident Evil 2, Final Fantasy Tactics.

Those games turned us into fucking tigers.

AVGN Reference there.

Final Fantasy Tactics wasn't remotely difficult.

I have. It's not great lol. The momentum when you were jumping was always really weird. It felt more natural in 2
Yeah, I had trouble recently with the stages where you have to run from something in 1. The running is weird and you tend to slow down randomly and it gets you killed quite a bit.

Final Fantasy Tactics wasn't remotely difficult.

No, but I ran out of games that I could think of off the top of my head that were difficult. <.<

Xiraiya

Would you mind giving a bit of a tl;dr? I haven't seen the reviews, and I couldn't find much online about it...

Oh no this is from an old Giant Bombcast where they were discussing how the original Gran Turismo had way too high an entry point for any of them to care to put any time into it, they hated it because they couldn't figure out driving or anything.

But I was 9 when I spent a few weeks playing through the first GT, I got most of the licenses, I couldn't beat A International because that was just out of my league, I got some of the tests done though.
But generally I won most races and made millions, did up some nice cars and so on, I completed a good 60% of that game in a few weeks.
It seems to be, when most people find a game hard, they get angry and frustrated and call bullshit and that it's not fair, I also have a breaking point, but 99% of the time I just end up thinking "Oh wow this is way harder than I expected, I need to learn how to play/drive better"

semisonic

Banned
Oh no this is from an old Giant Bombcast where they were discussing how the original Gran Turismo had way too high an entry point for any of them to care to put any time into it, they hated it because they couldn't figure out driving or anything.

But I was 9 when I spent a few weeks playing through the first GT, I got most of the licenses, I couldn't beat A International because that was just out of my league, I got some of the tests done though.
But generally I won most races and made millions, did up some nice cars and so on, I completed a good 60% of that game in a few weeks.
It seems to be, when most people find a game hard, they get angry and frustrated and call bullshit and that it's not fair, I also have a breaking point, but 99% of the time I just end up thinking "Oh wow this is way harder than I expected, I need to learn how to play/drive better"

So it's an old-timey version of the wonderful 101 then?

"WE NEED A SCREW DRIVER TO OPEN OUR N3DS? WOW NINTENDO, WHY DO YOU EVEN MAKE GAMES ANYMORE"
tumblr_m5vp2fiwNt1r4gei2o5_400.gif

I'm just sitting here waiting for my MH4 demo codes ;-;

Bastard *Hugs my ghost 3DS*

Xiraiya

So it's an old-timey version of the wonderful 101 then?

...I what? If you mean in difficulty, I'd compare it more to Dark Souls as the realism they were going for made it more brutal and slower than any other racing games on the console, but also deeper.

Souls' biggest detriment are the people that put it on a pedestal and proclaim there's some joy in masochistically dying, most of which is due to Bamco's terrible horrible PREPARE TO DIE marketing, but that's not how the game is played at all. It's easiest when played slow, methodical, and 95% of the time, this feels very fair. I don't even begrudge people who find it slow and boring or dislike the combat, but it's not hard. It's only mildly harsh.

semisonic

Banned
...I what? If you mean in difficulty, I'd compare it more to Dark Souls as the realism they were going for made it more brutal and slower than any other racing games on the console, but also deeper.

Oh, most reviewers panned the wonderful 101 for a bad control scheme, when it just took time to learn. It was a multi-playthrough game with insane levels of depth and nuance to its controls, but reviewers did not have the time or patience to go through again and git gud.

"WE NEED A SCREW DRIVER TO OPEN OUR N3DS? WOW NINTENDO, WHY DO YOU EVEN MAKE GAMES ANYMORE"

Fucking rage! Someone said most average Joe's won't have the tools to open it. Who doesn't have fucking screwdrivers? Since yesterday I'm going into gaming sparingly since it's Gamefaqs levels of whining.

Whats wrong with the New 3ds?

It doesn't come with things so people in the US are going insane and calling for Reggie's head and to burn down Nintendo. That's what about 8 of these new Nintendo hate threads have turned into.

Which reminds me, gotta go preorder the Majora or MH n3DS.

Xiraiya

Oh, most reviewers panned the wonderful 101 for a bad control scheme, when it just took time to learn. It was a multi-playthrough game with insane levels of depth and nuance to its controls, but reviewers did not have the time or patience to go through again and git gud.
I don't know why you keep bringing up Wonderful 101 or reviews about a game that came out in the 90's, it's a bit confusing.

Fucking rage! Someone said most average Joe's won't have the tools to open it. Who doesn't have fucking screwdrivers? Since yesterday I'm going into gaming sparingly since it's Gamefaqs levels of whining.

While the charger thing is just really silly, this is just insane. It's not like you can't play the system without a screwdriver. It's just to change the micro SD card, something you actively want to go out of your way to do. And like you said, who the fuck doesn't own a memory card?

semisonic

Banned
I don't know why you keep bringing up Wonderful 101 or reviews about a game that came out in the 90's, it's a bit confusing.

Oh, bad comparison? My bad. Thought I saw a thread,
but it was me, DIO!

I was more comparing how people called blamed their failures in a difficult game on controls that were WONDERFUL
I'm sorry
rather than feeling that they should instead rise to the challenge and get better to deal with it.

The "problem" with Gran Turismo was that it was "too complicated" for the GB staff. The game is widely considered one of the greatest racers of all time still.

Now, for the W101 problems, I don't consider the multi-playthrough excuse very valid. If someone tells me that you won't really appreciate the game until multiple playthroughs or 20 hours in or something like that, I'm dropping the game like a rock.

mike0dude

It doesn't come with things so people in the US are going insane and calling for Reggie's head and to burn down Nintendo. That's what about 8 of these new Nintendo hate threads have turned into.

Which reminds me, gotta go preorder the Majora or MH n3DS.

well then why don't they just not buy it...

I'm to short on cash to afford the majora's mask or mh4 bundle, if they aren't sold out after this weekend i might buy one.
they probably gonna sell out this afternoon tho.

Souls' biggest detriment are the people that put it on a pedestal and proclaim there's some joy in masochistically dying, most of which is due to Bamco's terrible horrible PREPARE TO DIE marketing, but that's not how the game is played at all. It's easiest when played slow, methodical, and 95% of the time, this feels very fair. I don't even begrudge people who find it slow and boring or dislike the combat, but it's not hard. It's only mildly harsh.
That and most of those people barely even know anything about From Soft prior and don't realize they've made much better games than the Souls series.

well then why don't they just not buy it...

I'm to short on cash to afford the majora's mask or mh4 bundle, if they aren't sold out after this weekend i might buy one.
they probably gonna sell out this afternoon tho.

Because people, especially gamers, love complaining when things aren't free or heavily discounted. That's just how it goes. They have the option to just not buy it and not care, but it seems like they just love complaining.

I personally don't care since I'll just buy the accessories I need/want like a 32 GB micro SD and an adapter to transfer my stuff over.

mike0dude

Because people, especially gamers, love complaining when things aren't free or heavily discounted. That's just how it goes. They have the option to just not buy it and not care, but it seems like they just love complaining.

I personally don't care since I'll just buy the accessories I need/want like a 32 GB micro SD and an adapter to transfer my stuff over.

wait you need an adapter to transfer stuff? i thought it was like through wifi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom