• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 11: COMP! COMP! COMP! COMP! C-O-M-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

360pages

A mass of levels is exactly what I want from a platformer. All I can remember from sonic is that Green Hill Zone was the only level I ever liked

Really? If the stages aren't memorable for me then I love interest ever going back to the game. Which is probably why the only Mario game I ever replayed from Start to finish was 64 and World.

Hell, I don't even think Super Mario Bros/ Super Mario 3 are even that great of games,

Jman014

Do you like any of the games Pat had in either of his Top Tens? How about Devil May Cry? Fallout: New Vegas? Resident Evil or Silent Hill as a series?

Seriously the SBF have their toes in every genre and speak tons about loving like every game ever. I don't see how you can feel burned when the variety is insane.

Not RTS, though. Or grand strategy. Or city builders. Or 4X. Or MilSim. Or some other stuff but oh well
Although I know Liam worked on my favorite RTS but I don't know if he likes it.

croten

Really? If the stages aren't memorable for me then I love interest ever going back to the game. Which is probably why the only Mario game I ever replayed from Start to finish was 64 and World.

Hell, I don't even think Super Mario Bros/ Super Mario 3 are even that great of games,

And I don't think any sonic game is great, the only good ones were the first three and they were just that, good.

croten

I think Sonic Colors and Generations are alright.

I also think all the handheld sonic are great too...

And I think you are wrong, we're merely arguing our subjective opinions here. I think Sonic is trash and has never held a candle to and comparable Mario game and you are the exact opposite.

That's just different priorities, but if you care about memorable theming of levels, you'd probably prefer the 3D Mario's, (and I don't mean 3D Land/World, those levels are just good level design without a theme, like you seem to enjoy)

Personally, it's all about fun level design for me.

And I don't think any sonic game is great, the only good ones were the first three and they were just that, good.
Yeah that is pretty much my feelings as well. I love Sonic Adventure 2 as a kid and now for being the mess that it is but sonic games both 2d and 3d never did anything for myself. DKC was always my favourite platformer series

croten

That's just different priorities, but if you care about memorable theming of levels, you'd probably prefer the 3D Mario's, (and I don't mean 3D Land/World, those levels are just good level design without a theme, like you seem to enjoy)

Personally, it's all about fun level design for me.

To me it's 50/50 fun level design and good feeling controls. Something I never found in Sonic

360pages

Despite my fanboyism to Sonic, Neither Sonic or Mario to me came even close to getting platformer of the generation from any of their games that game out. The two new Rayman games and Kirby Triple Deluxe honestly blew the other two out of the water for me.

I would say fucking boo but I cant since I cant trust pats opinions anymore...I have to play it myself.

I like Cross. It's not AS good as Trigger, but it's a solid RPG with a lot of baggage and unfair criticism.

The problem is that it's a "chrono" game and is judget based on Trigger.

Xiraiya

My first SNES game was Mario All Stars, Mario has never really done much for me, but I did like all the super Mario games and I did enjoy Mario 64, but I've never really felt like they were ever worthy of being favorites or something I could love as far as games go.
I respect Mario games a great deal and recognize their importance and quality, however I personally am not the biggest Mario fan.

Meanwhile, I've never in my life seen or ever had a reason to care about Sonic in any capacity.

The last platformer I REALLY thought was fantastic, was Conker's Bad Fur Day, that game was satisfying, even it's Multiplayer was great fun.

To me it's 50/50 fun level design and good feeling controls. Something I never found in Sonic
Nah you're right, good core mechanics are super super important. I think 2D Sonic controls... Alright, but it's nothing mindblowing. The way levels have multiple paths is kinda neat, but I wish they crossed over more, and I'd like more challenging platforming sections.

Definitely doesn't hold a candle to some other platformers, but it's good.
Not RTS, though. Or grand strategy. Or city builders. Or 4X. Or MilSim. Or some other stuff but oh well
Well yeah, they don't like everything. The LoL and DOTA community seem pretty bummed how they don't care about those games.

I first SNES game was Mario All Stars, Mario has never really done much for me, but I did like all the super Mario games and I did enjoy Mario 64, but I've never really felt like they were ever worthy of being favorites or something I could love as far as games go.

I respect Mario games a great deal and recognize their importance and quality, however I personally am not the biggest Mario fan.
I would say the same myself, I never really fell in love with Mario as a series, it was just something I'd pick up and play sometimes. That said, every so often a Mario game does really surprise me. Galaxy has so much variety it's pretty astounding, and 3D World felt like the perfect evolution of a 2D Mario into 3D, while 64 did it's own thing.

DP fight me IRL

Jman014

Well yeah, they don't like everything. The LoL and DOTA community seem pretty bummed how they don't care about those games.

Well I just wanted to point it out since you said they have their toes in every genre.

Do you like any of those genres that I listed?

croten

I would say the same myself, I never really fell in love with Mario as a series, it was just something I'd pick up and play sometimes. That said, every so often a Mario game does really surprise me. Galaxy has so much variety it's pretty astounding, and 3D World felt like the perfect evolution of a 2D Mario into 3D, while 64 did it's own thing.

DP fight me IRL

I never fell in love with Mario, never been a fanboy for Nintendo either but I can safely say that Mario games have a level of polish that is far greater than most platformers

Nordicus

Aargh, thighs still weak as hell after first HIIT exercise class of the year, roughly 48 hours have passed. I'm right now kinda glad that it's only once a week because I'd not have time to recover from the "BIG DAMAGE~" otherwise. Need to do a bunch of the exercises at home to get used to it and recover faster. I have been skipping too many leg days, trying to sit down on my chair slowly without grabbing the chair is a bitch

Whaaaa, he worked on Dawn of War 2 Retribution? Like, I know he worked at THQ for a while but still.

Xiraiya

DP fight me IRL
As a kid I just didn't feel like Mario's style and themes did much for me, where as I absolutely loved how DKC1 and 2 looked/sounded, I think DKC2 might just be my favorite SNES Game of all time by a large margin, I'm not too sure, KI comes pretty damn close. DKC3 was fine but something was so off about that game, felt like a bootleg DK game.

DK64 was fun in some ways but SO, SO, SO long and tedious and just... again it felt a bit off and I feel like I resented it for how long it is, which is saying something because I enjoy my RPGs a great deal.

Conker was definitely the Peak for me, and also the very end of the N64, so it was a cool game for that console to go out on.

Jman014

Aargh, thighs still weak as hell after first HIIT exercise class of the year, roughly 48 hours have passed. I'm right now kinda glad that it's only once a week because I'd not have time to recover from the "BIG DAMAGE~" otherwise. Need to do a bunch of the exercises at home to get used to it and recover faster. I have been skipping too many leg days, trying to sit down on my chair slowly without grabbing the chair is a bitch

Whaaaa, he worked on Dawn of War 2 Retribution? Like, I know he worked at THQ for a while but still.

You can do it, friender!

And yeah I think it was on a podcast that Liam mentioned that he worked on Dawn of War 2 Retribution. I was wondering how he knew about Gabriel Angelos if he doesn't play PC games but worked in QA.

360pages

Well, I don't hate Mario games, I'll go as far to say that Mario is a hell of a lot more consistent in quality than Sonic. But very few of the games make me reflect on what I did outside of 64 and World.

That being said, I should finish return to Origins in Rayman Legends, I think that game is legit the best platformer of this Generation. Mostly because of the combination of Fast and slow levels that no level feels like a pain.

Well I just wanted to point it out since you said they have their toes in every genre.

Do you like any of those genres that I listed?
I'm pretty ignorant of them actually. I dabbled a bit into Arma 2 after I got it to try out DayZ but it never clicked. I respect them though.
I never fell in love with Mario, never been a fanboy for Nintendo either but I can safely say that Mario games have a level of polish that is far greater than most platformers
Sometimes I do wonder if I'm a Nintendo fanboy. I bought a Wii and Wii U on launch, and I've owned every Nintendo console barring some DS revisions and a NES.

Sometimes I do wonder if I'm a Nintendo fanboy. I bought a Wii and Wii U on launch, and I've owned every Nintendo console barring some DS revisions and a NES.

Confirmed nintenyearold

You can do it, friender!

And yeah I think it was on a podcast that Liam mentioned that he worked on Dawn of War 2 Retribution. I was wondering how he knew about Gabriel Angelos if he doesn't play PC games but worked in QA.

Pc gaming is just a big blur to liam. Id wouldn't be surprised if he never played doom before

Mario platformers are always solid.

It's like McDonalds. You have a certain expectation of quality and you are not disappointed at what you receive. It hits your sweet spots but it's not good for you in large amounts and there are better options out there.

I grew to like platforming like VVVVV, Super Meat Boy, and Cave Story more than Mario games. They aren't doing it for me as much any more.

DK64 was fun in some ways but SO, SO, SO long and tedious and just... again it felt a bit off and I feel like I resented it for how long it is, which is saying something because I enjoy my RPGs a great deal.
DK64 is just filled with bad memories for me outside of the DK rap. I don't like Rare's N64 games.
Confirmed nintenyearold
I have two Gamecubes and two Wiis. Though in my defense I have two PS2s and two Dreamcasts.

croten

Mario platformers are always solid.

It's like McDonalds. You have a certain expectation of quality and you are not disappointed at what you receive. It hits your sweet spots but it's not good for you in large amounts and there are better options out there.

I grew to like platforming like VVVVV, Super Meat Boy, and Cave Story more than Mario games. They aren't doing it for me as much any more.

I'd call sonic McDonalds because every time I play it I can't keep my lunch down afterwards

Xiraiya

Apart from the two DS games and Skyward Sword, the Zelda franchise has more consistent high quality titles than any other series.

You know, even though I was going to doubt that no matter how you phrased it, you shouldn't have started with "Apart from the things that contradict what I'm about to say..."

DK64 is just filled with bad memories for me outside of the DK rap. I don't like Rare's N64 games.
Did you never play Conker?

Imagine a Europa Universalis playthrough! They would all be a different country. It would be so bad but I would love it anyway.

Super Meat Boy, and Cave Story
Can we talk about how fucking amazing Cave Story is? And Super Meat Boy god damn.
I'd call sonic McDonalds because every time I play it I can't keep my lunch down afterwards
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I can actually still have fun playing Sonic Adventure and SA 2, but it's nostalgia probably
Did you never play Conker?
Actually no, just a bit of Banjo and a bunch of DK64

You know, even though I was going to doubt that no matter how you phrased it, you shouldn't have started with "Apart from the things that contradict what I'm about to say..."

No series is perfect. There will always be a few bad eggs.

Hell there is no such thing as a perfect game imo

Xiraiya

I think Donkey Kong for me made the most sense thematically when it was all about Pirates and the undead.

DKC1 Had a fucking modern airplane barrel, I don't think it makes much sense to hate on barrel jetpacs when that whole series is consisting of exploding barrels and launching you out of them

Jman014

I have two Gamecubes and two Wiis. Though in my defense I have two PS2s and two Dreamcasts.
Wow you sure do have a lot of consoles, Heather!
Imagine a Europa Universalis playthrough! They would all be a different country. It would be so bad but I would love it anyway.

I would totally watch Woolie play the Game of Thrones mod for Crusader Kings 2!

croten

Wow you sure do have a lot of consoles, Heather!

I would totally watch Woolie play the Game of Thrones mod for Crusader Kings 2!

I should probably play that mod sometime, I mean I have CK2 anyway
Maybe I should check out Conker and Blast Corps.

I need the ones I'm missing... What? Don't look at me like that, I don't have a problem! I just really need it.......

You never played Conker!?

Seriously, Conker's Bad Fur Day is such an amazing game that subverts expectations about the aesthetic and gameplay style that Rare had tapped into during that generation. And even if you don't get the full context for it, it's still a fucking hilarious game today.

You never played Conker!?
I only had like 5 games on the N64. DK64, both Zeldas, Kirby 64 and Paper Mario.
Conker is basically a Parody game, but everything it parodied was really well done, all of the boss fights were pretty rad, it was a worthy end to the 64.
I actually do like parody stuff, but it seems to go for it from a more childish, crass type of humor that's a little off putting. I'll check it out sometime though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom