• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 11: COMP! COMP! COMP! COMP! C-O-M-P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, even if the N64's library doesn't hold a candle to the Playstation or other platforms, you still missed out on quite a few gems
I didn't even see any PS1 games for years. I used to not know what the console even looked like. Being a babby I'm surprised I grew up with a SNES and playing a friend's Genesis, but the whole N64/PSX era is foreign to me.
Don't forget Mirror's Edge.
That's super different, but fuck yeah. That game has some of my favorite visual design ever.
You're not THAT "Mature", just play it, you'll have a great time.
Fair enough. I trust your opinion.

360pages

Kirby is actually my second favorite Platforming series, I never been disappointed in any of its entries that I have played. (At least the platforming ones) and I replayed every Section of Super Star Ultra at least 3 times.

semisonic

Banned
Honestly, my 100% run of dk64 is still one of my proudest achievements. Love the shit outta that game despite all its length and jank. Yet for some reason, conker was the only rare franchise I couldn't get into. Only got up to that damn level where you were the bat, and then got frustrated with the controls and quit. Plus that caveman bar puzzle was the absolute worst. Though, in hindsight, unless someone can back me up on these parts, it might have been just me.

First Person Platforming is pretty hard. I give DICE credit for making it work though.
Yes, but that game's combat and scenarios where it forces you into that stuff drags it down, especially with the level design getting weaker as the game goes on. Chapter 1 is where that game peaks.

Great concept though, and they did execute on the movement quite well.

Honestly, my 100% run of dk64 is still one of my proudest achievements. Love the shit outta that game despite all its length and jank. Yet for some reason, conker was the only rare franchise I couldn't get into. Only got up to that damn level where you were the bat, and then got frustrated with the controls and quit. Plus that caveman bar puzzle was the absolute worst. Though, in hindsight, unless someone can back me up on these parts, it might have been just me.
Glad to see I'm not the only one here 100% completed that game.

And for Conker, well, that was just you. Though admittedly you stopped at the chapter right before where it gets exceptionally difficult.

360pages

No Conker legit had some shit areas. The game has a lot of variety, at the cost of polishing those areas due to them having so many of them.

Yes, but that game's combat and scenarios where it forces you into that stuff drags it down, especially with the level design getting weaker as the game goes on. Chapter 1 is where that game peaks.

Great concept though, and they did execute on the movement quite well.

Isn't that more of EA's choices?

Xiraiya

-Perfect Dark
-Conker's Bad Fur Day
-Pokemon Snap
-WWF WrestleMania 2000
-Diddy Kong Racing
-Star Wars Episode I Racer
-Mario Party
-007 Goldeneye
-Zelda Ocarina Of Time
-Zelda Majora's Mask

Pretty much my top 10 N64 games in no real order.

mrmyhthef

If I remember right the last third of the game just goes absolutely bananas mechanically, starting right where you stopped. Like it becomes a full-on shooter at one point.

Personally I think Conker's great except for the gameplay.

Absolute favorite game on the N64 is Sin & Punishment. Playing it several years after the fact it still blew my goddamn mind.

Mischief Makers and Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon also kick tons of ass.

Nope you were trash.

You didn't even experience the one hit kill RE movie lazers of frustration.

360pages

If I remember right the last third of the game just goes absolutely bananas mechanically, starting right where you stopped. Like it becomes a full-on shooter at one point.

Personally I think Conker's great except for the gameplay.

Yeah, you really remember it when you stop playing that's for sure, but it really doesn't make for a smooth playing experience. There are probably so many parodies in the game that they tried to fit everything in.

semisonic

Banned
-Perfect Dark
-Conker's Bad Fur Day
-Pokemon Snap
-WWF WrestleMania 2000
-Diddy Kong Racing
-Star Wars Episode I Racer
-Mario Party
-007 Goldeneye
-Zelda Ocarina Of Time
-Zelda Majora's Mask

Pretty much my top 10 N64 games in no real order.

Well, everything seems to be in order here. Moving alo-
Wait. Did you just list MP1?
Did you have goddamn leather-hands or something?
Assuming you do, I guess I could see it.
You know, I actually tried calling that glove-line the other day, just to see if it was still up. I kinda thought that it was forever like the rick flair or the space jam website. That day was a sad day indeed.

Xiraiya

Well, everything seems to be in order here. Moving alo-
Wait. Did you just list MP1?
Did you have goddamn leather-hands or something?
Assuming you do, I guess I could see it.
You know, I actually tried calling that glove-line the other day, just to see if it was still up. I kinda thought that it was forever like the rick flair or the space jam website. That day was a sad day indeed.
What are you talking about.

semisonic

Banned
What are you talking about.

How long has it been since you played the tug-of-war or shy guy paddle mini-games? They used to be so rough(permanently damaging, even) on people's hands that nintendo got sued super hard over it, and had to set up a hotline that would provide free fingerless gloves to people who owned mario party 1. This is also the reason they phased out those minigames after the first game.

360pages

I kind of miss the Pokémon Stadium series. Sure Battle revolution was pretty much garbage compared to it, and it might be a little redundant because the models are in 3D. But I wouldn't mind being able to see the pokemon and arena's in Hd. Considering Gamefreak hates the idea of allowing us to pick our on arena.

semisonic

Banned
I kind of miss the Pokémon Stadium series. Sure Battle revolution was pretty much garbage compared to it, and it might be a little redundant because the models are in 3D. But I wouldn't mind being able to see the pokemon and arena's in Hd. Considering Gamefreak hates the idea of allowing us to pick our on arena.

The one plus of battle revolution is that you could mod in your own music, project m style.

360pages

The one plus of battle revolution is that you could mod in your own music, project m style.

That was nice. Of course if they actually had the battle frontier in OR/AS then a Stadium game would actually not be needed anymore...too bad they are saving that for DLC for some reason.

croten

Seriously? I played played most of the mini-games, I don't remember any of them giving me a hard time.

I never played the game but even I know that, it was notorious for it. I think it was one of the mini games where you rotate the stick with your palm.

semisonic

Banned
Actually, speaking of music replacement, I've been working on a custom music hack/list for my local project m tournaments for a little over a year now. I know we've got some players in bestGAF, so if there's any interest I wouldn't mind sharing it.

Xiraiya

Well I played FF and Medieval too as a kid, I had my N64 and PSX set up side by side pretty often.

Medievil was goddamn fantastic.
It was pretty damn amazing.

Crash and Spyro..eh those games have a lot of nostalgia behind them and aren't nearly as good as people remember.

Xiraiya

It was pretty damn amazing.
Crash and Spyro..eh those games have a lot of nostalgia behind them and aren't nearly as good as people remember.

I never really cared for Spyro but I played through the Crash games again not all that long ago, they were still really enjoyable.

semisonic

Banned
Wait, so this wasn't even a Nintendo issue, but an issue of Kids being stupid?

They deserved nothing, take a goddamn break from the game if you're hurting your hands playing it, it's not rocket science.

Not even, though. Just beating the coms, especially in hard mode, in the 3 v 1 bowser tug of war was absolutely atrocious.

I never really cared for Spyro but I played through the Crash games again not all that long ago, they were still really enjoyable.

I recently played through Crash 1, that game is actually somewhat challenging if you're not decent at platformers. It maybe the lack luster controls though.
Can confirm. Went back to both of them recently, and wondered how I ever thought these games were amazing.

Would still play on the Vita. Damn you, SCEA.
Because we were kids and didn't know any better. They aren't bad games at all, just not as good as what most people who grew up with them think they are.

Nothing is more satisfying than winning Mario Party through dumb luck and people getting salty. It's amazing. I love those games.

The some of the mashing games are super fun, I can think of a bunch of time when me and friend would be neck and neck in our mashing speeds. It's simple and luck based, but damn it's fun.

I actually played a ton of Mario Party 5 Singleplayer against computers. I just love those mini games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom