• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 11: COMP! COMP! COMP! COMP! C-O-M-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

360pages

Why do I hate when people use CAPS to express yelling in a story? I mean there is nothing wrong with it, but I always say it's either better to bold or just use an ! point. Better yet describe in the Prose that they are yelling with an ! point without the bold.

I just always feel CAPS is the worst way to express that even though I did it before...

360pages

Also, Dying Light looks awesome so far, though I hope there is more areas, since RE5 looking place doesn't seem all that great.

I already had a fair amount of interest in Dying Light before hand, but still a bit cautious because of it being Techland and how Dead Island degraded over time. That video did a pretty good job showing it off, and that dropkick on the stairs fucking sealed the deal.

Xiraiya

Why do I hate when people use CAPS to express yelling in a story?

Because you're being ridiculous, bold is for emphasis and an exclamation adds energy to what you're saying. Saying "Why did you do that!" is like someone's voice being raised in protest, above talking level but not to the point that they're yelling, unless of course there is some sort of context in a specific scenario that implies otherwise.

Often when you start a sentence, the very first part of the first word sounds louder and more pronounced than the rest of a sentence, hence why the first letter is a capital letter and why the names of some things and people also start with a capital, to make it stand out from the rest of what you are saying.

So using a capital letter automatically implies loudness and emphasis by default, using nothing but capitals naturally follows on to become text that is communicating shouting/yelling by TYPING LIKE THIS! DO YOU UNDERSTAND!?

Or at least that's what I assumed.

semisonic

Banned
I already had a fair amount of interest in Dying Light before hand, but still a bit cautious because of it being Techland and how Dead Island degraded over time. That video did a pretty good job showing it off, and that dropkick on the stairs fucking sealed the deal.

Man, dropkicks are the sickest. I can think of dying light and dead rising 2 that had good ones, but nothing else is coming to mind.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

nu9lEBS.gif

360pages

Because you're being ridiculous, bold is for emphasis and an exclamation adds energy to what you're saying. Saying "Why did you do that!" is like someone's voice being raised in protest, above talking level but not to the point that they're yelling, unless of course there is some sort of context in a specific scenario that implies otherwise.

Often when you start a sentence, the very first part of the first word sounds louder and more pronounced than the rest of a sentence, hence why the first letter is a capital letter and why the names of some things and people also start with a capital, to make it stand out from the rest of what you are saying.

So using a capital letter automatically implies loudness and emphasis by default, using nothing but capitals naturally follows on to become text that is communicating shouting/yelling by TYPING LIKE THIS! DO YOU UNDERSTAND!?

But at the same time, over use of that can be unpleasing to the eyes. Especially if it gets to the point that a character is only yelling or screaming in a certain scene. In a lot of books I've read maybe only two or three lines uses CAPS for yelling.

It can make it quite chunky to read through and should be used very sparingly even if characters get into shouting matches with one another. Caps can be used for certain things like Monotone speech or trying to make someone' Dialog appear uneven or unsettling.

Why do I hate when people use CAPS to express yelling in a story? I mean there is nothing wrong with it, but I always say it's either better to bold or just use an ! point. Better yet describe in the Prose that they are yelling with an ! point without the bold.
I just always feel CAPS is the worst way to express that even though I did it before...
While I personally really really dislike it, it's probably just because I'm used to proper grammar in published works. The origin of all caps in newspaper headlines and internet culture. You're pretty much destined to see it online, and I like and use it on here, but I don't prefer it in books.
I've spent an embarassing amount of time trying to replicate this gif despite it being pretty simple. I always seem to throw him into a wall and it's not as cool.

Xiraiya

But at the same time, over use of that can be unpleasing to the eyes. Especially if it gets to the point that a character is only yelling or screaming in a certain scene. In a lot of books I've read maybe only two or three lines uses CAPS for yelling.
It can make it quite chunky to read through and should be used very sparingly even if characters get into shouting matches with one another. Caps can be used for certain things like Monotone speech or trying to make someone' Dialog appear uneven or unsettling.

Well obviously if you have a page that is mostly capital letters, you've fucked up the writing to begin with, but as a tool to express screaming/shouting, I really see no issue with it, yeah the internet and media abuses it, but that's people being stupid, so blame them instead.

JayEH

I need to know what's better about the lockpicking in Dying Light, Pat! You got distracted by French wrenches before you finished explaining.

360pages

Well obviously if you have a page that is mostly capital letters, you've fucked up the writing to begin with, but as a tool to express screaming/shouting, I really see no issue with it, yeah the internet and media abuses it, but that's people being stupid, so blame them instead.

Well, it's probably just me, since there isn't anything wrong with it. Which I actually end up saying in a lot of my reviews. I don't like it, but there is nothing wrong with using it.

I use it here too.

Tako

Feel good to be home and not having to worry about work or school. I just get to lay in my bed with Cat and my puppy watching Netflix.But now to play some Skullgirls
tumblr_n49qifV9dN1sq9yswo4_500.gif

I missed you nerds

Xiraiya

The lockpicking is interesting, I wonder how Skyrim would be if they were far harder to come by, outside of the Thieves Guild, but then I guess you need other ways to unlock stuff in a world as big as Skyrim, Morrowind lockpicks weren't nearly as common, but you had plenty of Magic spells that could deal with doors and so on.

Xiraiya

Vote on the VN idea (You have to enter your GAF username so I don't think I'll have a lurker problem)
I voted for the Frienders mainly because it's the one with greater potential, even though basing it around the Zaibatsu would make more sense, also part of my logic was Pat is the only one who comes here/remotely cares about this thread, if Woolie and whoever else were somewhat frequent here, I'd be more down with the Zaibatsu version.
But you could still have a Pat route at least

I voted for the Frienders mainly because it's the one with greater potential, even though basing it around the Zaibatsu would make more sense, also part of my logic was Pat is the only one who comes here/remotely cares about this thread, if Woolie and whoever else were somewhat frequent here, I'd be more down with the Zaibatsu version.
But you could still have a Pat route at least
If we made it the Zaibatsu I'd probably spread to around to the other SBF communities (way down the line) somewhat like the upcoming fan RPG. Your reasoning isn't wrong though.

Xiraiya

If we made it the Zaibatsu I'd probably spread to around to the other SBF communities (way down the line) somewhat like the upcoming fan RPG. Your reasoning isn't wrong though.

I don't mind/care either way, I just wanted to point out why I chose the frienders.

I hate the character. Despite how the other characters are designed and behave, Lana doesn't wholly work due to her cutesy, "I'll pose and make noises after ever hit", "~kawaii" behavior. The fact that the character had no pre-existing writing guidelines ended up hurting her in the end. I ended up disliking the character and if I had the choice, I would pick another character for main missions and challenges.

Gameplay-wise, she's fine. Pretty interesting and pretty good. No Sheik, but still decent.

As pointed out earlier, she would have been fine anywhere else. Hell we already have Agatha from Twilight Princess who was kawaii as fuck but actually fits into the Zelda universe

Does GAF have anything that amounts to a New/Upcoming releases list?

February 13th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom