• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 11: COMP! COMP! COMP! COMP! C-O-M-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

croten

That was she said...

sgnWXUu.gif

currently in Makna Forest
ive basicly said fuck it to sidequests unless i can do them on the way
the guys need to continue playing, im really feeling it
or do an LP(preferably after im done)

I think I've finally grown out of Pokemon. I still keep up with it every now and then but I felt absolutely no desire at all to buy or play Alpha/Omega Ruby/Sapphire.

I think I've finally grown out of Pokemon. I still keep up with it every now and then but I felt absolutely no desire at all to buy or play Alpha/Omega Ruby/Sapphire.

I'm not a huge fan of it like I used to be, but I still buy the games when I can since they usually are a good way to spend a lazy afternoon if I don't feel like playing anything competitive.

parallel universes
interested yet?

Didn't D/P essentially that?

I'm not a huge fan of it like I used to be, but I still buy the games when I can since they usually are a good way to spend a lazy afternoon if I don't feel like playing anything competitive.

There are so many other options other than Pokemon for that though.

It's cool, as long as you're not one of those "omg guys I'm so Tomoko, dem feels, I'm such a loser lawl" I'm so sick of that :v

I actually am quite a loser. :p

Didn't D/P essentially that?

There are so many other options other than Pokemon for that though.

I actually am quite a loser. :p
Eh, I like the turn based RPG style is the main reason why. Plus it's a game that I've played for so long I have the weaknesses chart basically burned into my brain so I can pick it up and breeze through it anytime.

The competitive scene ruined any fun to be had playing against other people. Smogon and IV's are the worst shit to ever happen to Pokemon.
I really hate playing Pokemon competitively, it's just hours of breeding to get the best nature and ivs.

demidar

I mean, it's just respriteed Pokemon. They should do Touhoumon if they really want to switch things up.

Yes they totally should /touhoushill

But I'm gonna toss another game at them. Pokemon Puzzle League, which is just Panel de Pon with a Pokemon skin, but it's still super hype. Play it for Friday Night Fisticuffs or Saturday Morning Scrublords.

The competitive scene ruined any fun to be had playing against other people. Smogon and IV's are the worst shit to ever happen to Pokemon.

Not even close. Meta game added a lot of depth to the competitive scene. If you just like playin with friends normally you can still do that. IVs and EVs and move lists and tiers breathed some serious life into that meta game, even if I can't keep up with it anymore. There are few better things to happen to pokemon than it's meta game.

Neol

The only pokemon game I can see them play next is Pokken Tournament.

Don't even know if its gonna be released here.

Please be excite for Nocturne

rip Nocturne, understandable why they didn't, it'd suck as a playthrough and it'd turn into a podcast.
Though you know what would be a good MegaTen game playthrough? Raidou Kuzunoha vs King Abaddon.

Pokemon's meta game, even though it's heavily offensive, is still the best I have ever seen in a RPG, and the team building aspect that comes with playing competitive is still the best.

Now, if you play the games for the single player, there ain't no fixing that. The game is mind numbingly easy, and it's not going to change.

demidar

Not even close. Meta game added a lot of depth to the competitive scene. If you just like playin with friends normally you can still do that. IVs and EVs and move lists and tiers breathed some serious life into that meta game, even if I can't keep up with it anymore. There are few better things to happen to pokemon than it's meta game.

I agree, for people who want to have fun they can but there's also a lot of "depth" for people who want to get really stuck in. That way you have the best of both worlds.

Xiraiya

I just like the Format of how Pokemon works, it's really solid, my biggest gripe is generally the whole "I have to suffer all the Pokemon of this new generation I don't like to get through the game to use ones I do like"
I like the first, 2nd and 3rd generations pretty well, 4th really felt like shit, I haven't played through Black/White yet, X/Y look really good though.

My faith in a generation hinges mostly on how much I like the starters.

I agree, for people who want to have fun they can but there's also a lot of "depth" for people who want to get really stuck in. That way you have the best of both worlds.

Exactly. Some tier lists can be a little boring to play on, but the tier lists with weak pokemon (I think it's RU or NU) is really fun because you get to see some crazy moves with pokemon you never thought you'd see competitively. And it revolves heavily on mind games which is just fucking awesome.

In celebration of the Silent Hill 2 playthrough, I'm going to spend literally all afternoon and evening watching the first Best Friends playthrough I ever saw, Silent Hill Downpour, and playing Baldur's Gate.
Pokemon's meta game, even though it's heavily offensive, is still the best I have ever seen in a RPG, and the team building aspect that comes with playing competitive is still the best.

Now, if you play the games for the single player, there ain't no fixing that. The game is mind numbingly easy, and it's not going to change.

I just like the Format of how Pokemon works, it's really solid, my biggest gripe is generally the whole "I have to suffer all the Pokemon of this new generation I don't like to get through the game. to use ones I do like"

Exactly. Some tier lists can be a little boring to play on, but the tier lists with weak pokemon (I think it's RU or NU) is really fun because you get to see some crazy moves with pokemon you never thought you'd see competitively. And it revolves heavily on mind games which is just fucking awesome.

Holy shit, Pokemon metagame discussion? My favorite tier is NU because nobody expects Dedenne to wreck their shit until it does.

demidar

The yomi tech is astounding in competitive Pokemon.

Did I use those terms right?

Please be excite for Nocturne

rip Nocturne, understandable why they didn't, it'd suck as a playthrough and it'd turn into a podcast.
Though you know what would be a good MegaTen game playthrough? Raidou Kuzunoha vs King Abaddon.
I adore that game so much, but it would be a fairly bland playthrough. I'd love to see them play the Raidou games
since I don't own them
Plus, IVs have been always been in the game, actually. they're in gen 1.

I just like the Format of how Pokemon works, it's really solid, my biggest gripe is generally the whole "I have to suffer all the Pokemon of this new generation I don't like to get through the game. to use ones I do like"
Eh, all generations have their duds.
RU and NU are really centralized, because of the lack of variety, but you'll see some Pokemon that can't compete in UU or OU. It's what it is.

Alfebit

Banned
There's something so silly about the idea of girls born with the souls of ships that makes me giggle. Finished the first ep of KanColle and I'm liking it so far.

I adore that game so much, but it would be a fairly bland playthrough. I'd love to see them play the Raidou games
since I don't own them

The first one is rare in Europe and the second never came here, so basically when they were $4 on NA PSN I just bought them. But the 2nd one is actually a really good game, fairly short (RPG wise) and is an action RPG so I think it'd at least make a good playthrough.

In celebration of the Silent Hill 2 playthrough, I'm going to spend literally all afternoon and evening watching the first Best Friends playthrough I ever saw, Silent Hill Downpour, and playing Baldur's Gate.

Damn I had to look up their original stuff to work out what was the first playthrough I watched. Final Fight Streetwise was mine. Damn. I remember Pat really struggling with it and almost at breaking point. Such a great playthorugh, but such a shitty ass game.

Yeah, they were called DVs in Gen 1, and since you couldn't breed, there was no way to manipulate them.
RSE is where the current system is from, right?
The first one is rare in Europe and the second never came here, so basically when they were $4 on NA PSN I just bought them. But the 2nd one is actually a really good game, fairly short (RPG wise) and is an action RPG so I think it'd at least make a good playthrough.
I know Pat loves Raidou, so it'd be cool to see him show the game to Liam or Woolie, maybe both.

Eh, all generations have their duds.

Exactly. Every generation adds awesome pokemon and lame-ass pokemon, right down to the first, and everybody's preferences as to which is which are different. I really loved a lot of Gen V's new pokemon, like Excadrill and Haxorus and Chandelure.

My personal favorite Gens are II and IV. Best starters, Tied with Gen III for best legendaries, best new dragon types.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom