• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 11: COMP! COMP! COMP! COMP! C-O-M-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zenfalcia

What do you like? We can discuss that too

PUNctual as well

I try to be, just due to personal reasons to be understandable and consistent.
tell the bad joke!

What joke?
I was discussing this with Beloved yesterday, I actually like this community a whole lot more than others I've been in.

You all might be good guys at heart, but you still give me headaches.

That's good. Unless the previous communities were awful and in reality we're just slightly above average.

Almost like kids? Xiraiya the old man yelling at the kids to get off his lawn
out of love.
Xiraiya is basically Gintoki who actually cares about his friends but doesn't seem to care at times. :')
I find it healthy and cathartic to air grievances instead of bottling everything up inside.

It's ok Australia man. You can get under my skin with your smarmy indifference too.

It really brings out the real opinions out, which coukd be good or bad depending on the community. I think it's good.

I wonder if hell ever talk about how great Wind Waker is.
Um, see, that game is a 3d zelda, soooooo no
The difficulty is broken, is my go to. But there's other things, like the dungeons and bossfights are kinda uninspired, the side missions are all fetch quests, and dog mode was a bit poorly utilized later in the game.
Though, that's just observations from a deeply imbedded Zelda nerd. Like with Pat and Dark Souls 2. I still think it's an awesome game.
I fucking love the items in TP. Ball and chain is the best thing in the game, someone said "the hookshot is awesome, give 'em two" and am I honestly the only person who likes the spinner?

sjay1994

Play majoras, its completely different from Ocarina in terms of story and tone.

Sigh... I'll buy the 3ds remake.

I've accepted I do not like fantasy. I think the WW series are my favorite since I think pirates are cool.

Its really hard for me to get into fantasy because my attention span is low, I find the subject matter and aesthetics boring.

A good example is the souls games.

I stayed the fuck away from souls because all people would tell me was

Its hard. And all the art I saw was this generic fantasy stuff.

I warmed up to souls when the quick look and playthrough for DS2 started.

I played it at my cousins house, and I liked how the combat felt.

I am super onboard for bloodborne, because that gothic horror aesthetic is so much more interesting to me.

I fucking love the items in TP. Ball and chain is the best thing in the game, someone said "the hookshot is awesome, give 'em two" and am I honestly the only person who likes the spinner?
I dunno he doesnt mention it at all during his rant about 3D zelda and at the end he said he has different thoughts about WW and he played it all the way through for GG and seemed to really like it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Gettin your weeb on :3

Educate us

Not much to educate, really. "Tokusatsu" is the broader term for the genre Sentai and Kamen Rider belong to (although the proper usage of the word encompasses everything from Star Trek to Godzilla to Doctor Who, but westerners don't use it that way). Sentai is what Power Rangers is derived/adapted from. Kamen Rider is a separate series by the same company that has only been adapted by America a couple of times, both times being huge failures (Masked Rider in the 90s, and Kamen Rider Dragon Knight a few years ago).

I enjoy sequalitis.

Can't stand game grumps anymore though.
im in the opposite boat where I love Game Grumps way more now and it has ruined Jon era for me. I actively dislike the jon era now.
Danny does more than just make fart noises and gay jokes. He actually have interesting thoughts about things and can actually have TBFP levels of conversations. Arins usually the one starting the low brow humor.

I have an extreme pet peeve with the Hookshot in later Zelda games. Because the old rule for it was it could hook onto anything made of wood. They can give you 3 of them for all I care, it doesn't mask that it's a lot less usable than it used to be.

But yeah, other than that TP had a lot of cool items, I'll agree.

sjay1994

Welcome to the club, 70% of the stuff this lot likes seem to go directly against the Zaibatsu preferences and 99% of the time go against my preferences.

Well... what are your preferences? Asides from gintama and transistor... I don't know much about you.

I have an extreme pet peeve with the Hookshot in later Zelda games. Because the old rule for it was it could hook onto anything made of wood. They can give you 3 of them for all I care, it doesn't mask that it's a lot less usable than it used to be.
Yeah, I guess I never really thought about that. It did get to the point in SS that there were just giant red and white targets instead of cool anchor points that made sense

Zenfalcia

Nah man, it's fine. Like, I appreciate it, but don't worry about it. Even if I did list a bunch of things, it wouldn't make a difference. You can't change a whole community just like that. The things people talk about in here are talked about because that's what the majority of the thread is into. If I tried to steer the discussion more towards something like, say, Kamen Rider or wrestling, it wouldn't last because there just aren't too many people in here into it. Not enough to maintain any sort of larger discussion, anyway.

So yeah, I mean, it's fine.

Yeah, exactly like that. I tried to post about shmups but frankly, nobody cared. And that's fine. I understand that shmups are super niche. Discussion of stuff like that is gonna get drowned out by the Ippo/Jojo/Persona/Souls talk, and that's fine. That's what y'all are into.

There are a few fans of kamen rider or wrestling, there have been some discussions of it, i don't think you were here for some of them.

Care/know anything about shmups which is nothing personal. You talk about 2hu stuff, which some people might care about? I couls talk about how i like the characters, fan art, and community.. not much about the games since i've never touched one.

Welcome to the club, 70% of the stuff this lot likes seem to go directly against the Zaibatsu preferences and 99% of the time go against my preferences.

What's the 1% that doesn't go against your preferences? Gintama?

But yeah, other than that TP had a lot of cool items, I'll agree.
But you can also hookshot to the little hookshot points. Dont you remember the water temple?
and I think it still can.
Oh wait its a clawshot now not a hookshot.

demidar

There are a few fans of kamen rider or wrestling, there have been some discussions of it, i don't think you were here for some of them.

Care/know anything about shmups which is nothing personal. You talk about 2hu stuff, which some people might care about? I couls talk about how i like the characters, fan art, and community.. not much about the games since i've never touched one.

Touhou is da best! Woooooo!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

I'm actually not THAT into Touhou. Like, I'll play the games, but I know fuck-all about the characters and I certainly don't have a Touhou waifu or anything like that. Hell I barely know their names. I mostly like the Touhou doujin albums that come out. There's some FANTASTIC music there.

As far as shmups go, I'm a bigger fan of Cave and Moss games. DoDonPachi, Ketsui, Mushihimesama, Deathsmiles, Raiden, Caladrius, stuff like that. I do love the Touhou style, but the actual games themselves, while great, aren't my favorite.

Yeah, I guess I never really thought about that. It did get to the point in SS that there were just giant red and white targets instead of cool anchor points that made sense

But you can also hookshot to the little hookshot points. Dont you remember the water temple?
and I think it still can.
Oh wait its a clawshot now not a hookshot.

Yeah, I'm guessing limiting what it could do made it a lot easier to program. But for me I'm always going to remember how god tier it was in OoT and MM.

Dryk

Claws can't grab into wood, that's silly. (Bring back the hookshot so you can do that again though Nintendo)

It just gets to the point where it starts scaring away both potential new members of the community and even the Zaibatsu themselves.
I can't speak for anyone else, but every time I come into this thread it's shitpost as far as the eye can see, so I don't bother most of the time.

Zenfalcia

Touhou is da best! Woooooo!

Fave girl?
Shipping? Actually don't post about that.
I'm actually not THAT into Touhou. Like, I'll play the games, but I know fuck-all about the characters and I certainly don't have a Touhou waifu or anything like that. Hell I barely know their names. I mostly like the Touhou doujin albums that come out. There's some FANTASTIC music there.

As far as shmups go, I'm a bigger fan of Cave and Moss games. DoDonPachi, Ketsui, Mushihimesama, Deathsmiles, Raiden, Caladrius, stuff like that. I do love the Touhou style, but the actual games themselves, while great, aren't my favorite.

the composition is very good, there are some good mixes or versions of songs.

Ah, i barely know anything outside of shmups besides touhou. :p

Well I mean if you spend your time on the internet screaming about how you don't like people talking shit about your shipping of animated characters, that banning is actually more of a "get help" message.
Actually some people would just go "I think naruto and hinata make more sense." And hed go ape shit and make like 10 4 paragraph long posts.

Zenfalcia

Claws can't grab into wood, that's silly. (Bring back the hookshot so you can do that again though Nintendo)

I can't speak for anyone else, but every time I come into this thread it's shitpost as far as the eye can see, so I don't bother most of the time.

So, a more preferred thread would be about nothing but the SBF content or are their interests also out of the question?

We have had lengthy discussions of the SBF besides the off-topic to semi-related interests like Ippo or prison school.
Marisa, obviously (as in favourite character). And I actually dislike the sexy side of the fan creations.

Honestly there's too many great characters.

Good choice. She's pretty good. It'll always be there, so you can't really do much about that.

There are. I barely know a portion of all the touhou characters.

Alright frienders.... calling it a night

Night.

nowarning

I watched the Cursed Mountain video last night, not seen it before. I laugh like fuck every time something Commando related comes up, so good. BENNETT!

Oh my god hearthstone is so good. I was getting worked using the basic set, and went and made a mage set, using the suggested card thing. The difference between the two sets was enormous, and I've only gotten 3-4 packs. Maaan.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

Zenfalcia

I watched the Cursed Mountain video last night, not seen it before. I laugh like fuck every time something Commando related comes up, so good. BENNETT!

Which Cursed Mountain video are you talking about? I'm drawing a blank.
Oh my god hearthstone is so good. I was getting worked using the basic set, and went and made a mage set, using the suggested card thing. The difference between the two sets was enormous, and I've only gotten 3-4 packs. Maaan.

Congrats on gitting gud.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So, a more preferred thread would be about nothing but the SBF content or are their interests also out of the question?

We have had lengthy discussions of the SBF besides the off-topic to semi-related interests like Ippo or prison school.

I don't think the thread should be all SBF. That'd get boring after a while. That said I certainly do think we could do with a bit MORE SBF discussion than we have now. I mean look at the Giant Bomb thread. I'd say they're maybe a liiiiitle bit too far in the other direction, maybe, but overall it seems to be a pretty good balance of Giant Bomb discussion and discussion of other stuff. Not saying we need to be exactly like them, but it's a decent reference point. They also post a lot less than we do, considering we're both on Thread 11 and they've existed literally years longer than we have. I don't think it's unfair to say that we've turned into a bit of a chatroom. Whether that's good or bad is up to the individual to decide, though.

My opinion is that we need three things: 1. A bit more Zaibatsu talk, 2. A broader range of stuff to talk about when we DO get off-topic (just because I think we need more Zaibatsu talk doesn't mean I think going off-topic is bad, hell we can be off-topic like 75% of the time for all I care), and 3. Less lewd, because nothing is going to turn people away from a thread, ESPECIALLY on NeoGAF where stuff like that is largely seen as creepy and weird (see any anime thread in OT for proof) faster than that.

Is hearthstone the only card game you like Pat cause theres an cardgame called weiss schwarz thats really hype. The cards are all just anime characters. Theres a fucking persona deck.
And a KOF deck but thats only in Japan right now.

Is hearthstone the only card game you like Pat cause theres an cardgame called weiss schwarz thats really hype. The cards are all just anime characters. Theres a fucking persona deck.
And a KOF deck but thats only in Japan right now.

You're watching me discover the first card game outside of fucking Triple Triad ever. That being said, there's only room in my life for one of these. Plus it's flashy and hyper popular. The fact that the best way to get cards is to play every day is fucking nefarious.

You're watching me discover the first card game outside of fucking Triple Triad ever. That being said, there's only room in my life for one of these. Plus it's flashy and hyper popular. The fact that the best way to get cards is to play every day is fucking nefarious.
Yeah that makes sense, WS is not popular in the US at all. I currently have one person to play with...so im gonna be playing the persona deck against my Kill La Kill deck for a long time ;-;

Tako

You never even played The Adventure Time Card game of Card Wars? That game was basically Magic the Gathering. I t was my crack for so long

You're welcome. It only gets (mostly) better from here.

I know what you mean. Because I'm further ahead than you think.
So... I need to nerd out for a bit with my impressions.

So favorite arc right now was The Phantom Troupe, but bug island[shockingly enough because it's concept was so stupid sounding on paper] is giving it a serious run for it's money.

Favorite character was Leorio, but now it's Morel, who is a triple threat of awesome. Great design, cool character, with a really interesting power.
My general take on the show is it's a shonen that just has no problems completely changing it's tone from arc to arc. All the while, it shockingly never jumps the shark. It always pushes the boundaries just hard enough, without screwing itself up.

Also, Gon is the most underpowered Shonen protagonist ever... and I adore that. He almost never is the guy who saves the day, in fact he regularly plays a side roll in a lot of the arcs, watching other fight the big bad. Which is such a real treat because of how rare that is in other shonen.
Also, I've noticed that rather than chose between them, the show figured out how do to have DBZ kai and Stands at the same time, and I love it!

What part are you at?

I don't know since every arc in HxH is excellent IMO

Towards the end of the Chimera ant arc.
But, gotta disagree. The Tournament arc was bad. And Greed Island was almost bad, but got super hype towards the end.
My only problems with the show right now, is all the periodic training stops. And the tedious exposition of Nen, both of which were heavy in those arcs.
But other than that, it's all super awesome!
By the way, Care Bear, I've never felt more confident saying this.... your waifu are shit! Screw that bitch, seriously! God I hope Gon makes her into a red stain for what she's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom