• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 12: 12 Threads in and It's Still the tutorial

Jman014

So I beat the Gat out of Hell story.I heard that if I control all of the districts,
I'll see more familiar faces.
But I'll do that tomorrow.

Gnite everyone

review copies are only gonna be given out 12 hours before the game releases. which is bullshit

Honestly, reviews seem kind of pointless to me personally since the Zaibatu's hour long video basically showed me what I'd be getting from the game. It actually looks pretty fun, but I'll wait till its cheaper and have a smaller backlog.

I just payed almost 200 bucks for 3 fucking books. This feels super shitty

Did you check Chegg to see if you could actually rent them first? Or even see if the class you're in is gonna need the books?

90% of college books are a fucking scam and need to die off. The fucking worst. That kind of shit should be included with your tuition considering how much money I'm giving this damn school already.

I just payed almost 200 bucks for 3 fucking books. This feels super shitty
full_logo-bevel.jpg

Thats how i pay for my college books.

Fucking college textbooks are the absolute worst. As a veteran of college, I've quickly learned that you won't even need 95% of them. I hardly ever buy books and I still manage to pull B's. And if I really cared to try hard enough an A is very possible without a book.

If you need a book, the library. Or if you want your own rent one from chegg for super cheap. Don't buy books you probably won't read.

Fucking college textbooks are the absolute worst. As a veteran of college, I've quickly learned that you won't even need 95% of them. I hardly ever buy books and I still manage to pull B's. And if I really cared to try hard enough an A is very possible without a book.
Depends on the class really. My favorite are when they pull homework assignment questions you need from the book and then never use anything else in it. 10/10

If you need a book, the library. Or if you want your own rent one from chegg for super cheap. Don't buy books you probably won't read.

I have never bought a book in all of my bachelor degree. I have A's in all of my classes except for my Artificial Intelligence class in which i got a B.

I paid 285 for 1. Get on my level.
Fucking physics

$270. One book. German. Loose leaf.
Woof that's fucking rough, I'm sorry
Did you check Chegg to see if you could actually rent them first? Or even see if the class you're in is gonna need the books?

90% of college books are a fucking scam and need to die off. The fucking worst. That kind of shit should be included with your tuition considering how much money I'm giving this damn school already.
No I need them by this week and they're for online classes that are all about talking about what you read.
Thats how i pay for my college books.
Yeah my sister looked, she managed to get some but some of these fucking books......
I had a book scholarship that covered everything my first year. I really, really miss it this year.
I should've looked into that, this shit's dumb
I've opted to not buy books this semester and just borrow the ones I need from the library. And as it turns out, I've barely needed them.
I'm mad jelly

Depends on the class really. My favorite are when they pull homework assignment questions you need from the book and then never use anything else in it. 10/10

So bad.

I have never bought a book in all of my bachelor degree. I have A's in all of my classes except for my Artificial Intelligence class in which i got a B.

I've learned after freshman year never to buy that shit unless I have to, to pass the class. And even then, renting is so much better.

No I need them by this week and they're for online classes that are all about talking about what you read.

God damn that sucks man.

demidar

Hnng... you are right.

I read something about WoW's rest XP system some time ago which is somewhat the same psychological trick. If you (or anyone else) don't know, Rest XP is a bonus you accumulate when you're logged off, and it gives you double XP. Originally, the bonus was "You get full XP until you gain x amount of XP, then you're XP gain is halved to 50%", and people whined that they were being punished for playing the game a lot. So the designer changed it to "You get double XP until you gain x amount of XP, then you're XP gain is halved to 100%, and the amount of XP to level up was doubled to keep the progression constant. Just this simple presentation change made people go from feeling punished to thinking they're being rewarded despite the fact that it works exactly the same as the original system.

Well, I guess it's not really the same trick, but it shows how important presentation is. As a seller, I could say "This 45 inch TV was $2500, but I'm gonna give you a deal and drop it to $1750" when my intention was to sell it at $1750 in the first place. Customers go "Oh, well I wasn't in the market for a new TV, but that discount is massive and I'd be an idiot to not jump on it!", letting the big red discount sign distract them from responsible spending and taking the final price at face value ("Even if it's a huge 30% off I can't afford to buy a new TV right now").

God damn that sucks man.
Yeah, luckily my sister found some of the other ones but still, this is money I could've used for something else. Hopefully I can sell them and get some money back
Only paid 50 dollars for 2 books used. It was cheaper to buy them used then to rent them. I might need to put in an extra 70 for my calculus book, just to gt some extra studing material.
Man that's really good. I'm just salt because I don't have a job so have to use my financial aid refund

sjay1994

I read something about WoW's rest XP system some time ago which is somewhat the same psychological trick. If you (or anyone else) don't know, Rest XP is a bonus you accumulate when you're logged off, and it gives you double XP. Originally, the bonus was "You get full XP until you gain x amount of XP, then you're XP gain is halved to 50%", and people whined that they were being punished for playing the game a lot. So the designer changed it to "You get double XP until you gain x amount of XP, then you're XP gain is halved to 100%, and the amount of XP to level up was doubled to keep the progression constant. Just this simple presentation change made people go from feeling punished to thinking they're being rewarded despite the fact that it works exactly the same as the original system.

Well, I guess it's not really the same trick, but it shows how important presentation is. As a seller, I could say "This 45 inch TV was $2500, but I'm gonna give you a deal and drop it to $1750" when my intention was to sell it at $1750 in the first place. Customers go "Oh, well I wasn't in the market for a new TV, but that discount is massive and I'd be an idiot to not jump on it!", letting the big red discount sign distract them from responsible spending and taking the final price at face value ("Even if it's a huge 30% off I can't afford to buy a new TV right now").

Oh god, you are super right!

Top Bottom