• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 12: 12 Threads in and It's Still the tutorial

EkCaUq5.jpg

That's all I got

I fully understand that spiders do more good than harm.
Hell, I used to love and study them as a kid, until I had a stupid trauma that made me fucking terrified of them.
The fact I had studied them and found out how many poisonous and deadly varieties there are actually made it worse for me.
I try to control it, and succeed to some extent. But it's bad. One time driving on the highway in driver's ed, a fucking spider started crawling up my pants, and I barely managed to not crash the car until we could get to a parking lot to change drivers. I was basically incoherent by the end of it, and I nearly burst out into fucking tears.
All from a tiny little spider that was a harmless variety. And I knew it was a harmless variety.
Phobias are some serious shit, man.
And no rationality's gonna make that better.
You thought it was going to be cringegaf.
But then the realgaf came.

I have a cringeGAF story for you, but I've already told it here, I used to have arachnophobia..then something happened and it was gone.

semisonic

Banned
Oh great! Fucking awesome. Here have some more!

spider2.jpg

I actually hate spiders, but you know what they say: you have to face your fears or your family forces you to go to a psychologist to get "fixed".

No seriously if you fix that link I will find and punch you.
No wait nevermind it was fine

Oh great! Fucking awesome. Here have some more!

spider2.jpg

I actually hate spiders, but you know what they say: you have to face your fears or your family forces you to go to a psychologist to get "fixed".
Holy shit, that made me jump before it finished loading. For a second, I thought they were actually chocolate covered spiders.

Having been playing Silent Hill 2 on my own, I feel like it falls into the same problem I have with horror games (with the exception being Alien Isolation). Basically the game selling itself as horror ends up diminishing the impact somewhat as my expectations for what's scary end up being way different than what's actually there.

It's why the scariest moments I've had in games I feel like are games that aren't designed as horror experiences first. Stuff like the undead levels in Thief or Ravenholm in Half-Life 2 have had me more on edge and stressed out than anything in Silent Hill 2 so far. It's a great game, but it's not scary to me.
I get what you're saying. It's why i was so worried about Silent hill 2 spoilers, because knowing what's coming is way less frightening than what well, happens, for the most part. Your brain is super creative and you dream up scenarios that exceed the game itself.

SH2's sedated tone and way less horror focus really work, but when you're more worried about what you're scared might be there than what is, it's difficult to judge if that measn the atmosphere is doing its job, or if you're expectations aren't being met.

I think SH3 has better moments that don't suffe from that, and SH1 has most of its threat from basic enemies and bosses.
I should read Onani Master again.
So good.

Ilvocare

I actually have Onani but never really finished reading it. I stopped at like chapter 14 or so. Kind of a shame because I read Molester Man and it was waaaaaaaay better than its title let on.

...Actually I still have the pages to both in my compu. Although it's been so long that I'm afraid I'll have to start over...

I actually have Onani but never really finished reading it. I stopped at like chapter 14 or so. Kind of a shame because I read Molester Man and it was waaaaaaaay better than its title let on.

...Actually I still have the pages to both in my compu. Although it's been so long that I'm afraid I'll have to start over...
Onani is better than Molester. Go for it.

semisonic

Banned
I don't even understand bestgaf now.
On the bottom of the page, moegaf.
On the top, spidergaf.
Maybe i should switch to 50 ppp...
Seriously tho, thanks for stoppin with the spiders.

Top Bottom