• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 12: 12 Threads in and It's Still the tutorial

Jojo part 6 spoiler:
NOOOOOOO F.F.!!!!

tumblr_inline_mk8bdfY5EX1qz4rgp.gif

semisonic

Banned
Yo check out this Stand name generator

http://en.shindanmaker.com/273351

For my real name, I got Aerial Flame, capable of reversing momentum! Rank: A+
Okay...
But for my neogaf...
semisonic's stand is Hard Anus, capable of punching balls! Rank: B-
What a mysterious generator.
I just dropped by just to see what you guys were doing.
Now it's sleep times because I don't want to wake up dead tomorrow.
Night, Frienders!

Onto Disc 2 of FF13.

I'm finding my hate for this game to be falling away. It's hardly a BAD game, just mediocre.

Square loves to write black characters with children, don't they?

Does Japan have a problem associating black people as family men?

croten

Onto Disc 2 of FF13.

I'm finding my hate for this game to be falling away. It's hardly a BAD game, just mediocre.

Huh, I got near the end of the second disk and I hated it. I know it's supposed to get better when it opens up but fuck playing 30-40 hours of a game to like it.

Huh, I got near the end of the second disk and I hated it. I know it's supposed to get better when it opens up but fuck playing 30-40 hours of a game to like it.

Thing is, I love the new combat system that does away with levels. The combat system x sphere grid scaling method is something I really like.

As far as using that system to tell a story nearly Similar to FF6-7? Ugh. Lazy ass writing.

My nostalgia for those games doesn't allow me to judge the story on its own merits.

croten

Thing is, I love the new combat system that does away with levels. The combat system x sphere grid scaling method is something I really like.

You mean the lack of combat system? It's just one button, auto battle, while you switch paradigms every now and then. It's just boring to me.

Onto Disc 2 of FF13.

I'm in the rare group that likes FF13. But, even enjoying it by the end as I did, it's still one of the worst Final Fantasy games. I probably put it above 12, which I have trouble saying whether or not I like or dislike, and well above 8 which as time goes on becomes an even more powerful active disdain. But, being there it's still miles and miles below 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9 and 10.

You mean the lack of combat system? It's just one button, auto battle, while you switch paradigms every now and then. It's just boring to me.

Boring I can agree with.

Lack of combat system based on one button pushes?

CT, FF1-12, parasite Eve, all had one button combat systems. The problem with the combat system is lack of depth.

I shouldn't be able to cast most magics on enemies and be able to brute force my way through most encounters.

Paradign shifts and the Y force command allows quick simultaneous inputs.

I'm in the rare group that likes FF13. But, even enjoying it by the end as I did, it's still one of the worst Final Fantasy games. I probably put it above 12, which I have trouble saying whether or not I like or dislike, and well above 8 which as time goes on becomes an even more powerful active disdain. But, being there it's still miles and miles below 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9 and 10.

Comparatively, yeah a lot of those games have better writing and characterization.

It's like the really pretty girl that has the huge character flaw. She's nice to look at and has a lot going to her aesthetically, but under the skin she's still a bitter,spiteful person that does not enrich your life.

croten

Boring I can agree with.

Lack of combat system based on one button pushes?

CT, FF1-12, parasite Eve, all had one button combat systems. The problem with the combat system is lack of depth.

I shouldn't be able to cast most magics on enemies and be able to brute force my way through most encounters.

Paradign shifts and the Y force command allows quick simultaneous inputs.

When I say one button I mean you mash the select button. The other games you mentioned actually had to be thought about, you actually had to chose something. Auto battle ruins everything about the gameplay and I can't not use it because the game was balanced around it.

I like 13 and I've always liked it. I don't get the hate.

LR, however, I get that hate hard.

I understand the hate, the characters aren't the most likable, the combat is really shallow and the linearity is a huge annoyance. Those issues aren't a big deal to me since I thought the characters were cool, the combat got more deep, eventually it opened up and I thought the story was interesting enough to keep me moving forward, but it's still a pretty flawed game in a lot of ways and I perfectly understand when people say they hate it.

When I say one button I mean you mash the select button. The other games you mentioned actually had to be thought about, you actually had to chose something. Auto battle ruins everything about the gameplay and I can't not use it because the game was balanced around it.

My solution was to set cursing to abilities as first choice. Rarely do I find using auto battle, since y select is so much faster for queuing moves.

I understand the hate, the characters aren't the most likable, the combat is really shallow and the linearity is a huge annoyance. Those issues aren't a big deal to me since I thought the characters were cool, the combat got more deep, eventually it opened up and I thought the story was interesting enough to keep me moving forward, but it's still a pretty flawed game in a lot of ways and I perfectly understand when people say they hate it.

The time investment to payoff ratio is skewed in FF13.

Skrams

As far as using that system to tell a story nearly Similar to FF6-7? Ugh. Lazy ass writing.

My nostalgia for those games doesn't allow me to judge the story on its own merits.

I like the Crystarium or whatever it's called in that it lets me feel like I'm getting a lot of progression or it's just addicting, but also it's very limiting since it's just a straight line to the top. Sometimes you can go on another straight line to get a spell though then back to the regular one.

I also find the story lazier since a lot of the content to understand the story is in the journal thing you get. If you want an easier time understand what everything ending with a 'cie is then you need to read the journal. It's a bit dumb, but I also still kind of liked I think? I might just have a bit of stockholm syndrome for FF13.

It is annoying that you have to play a fucking lot of that game to get the combat really going, but it isn't lacking. Most bosses and regular mobs later on in the game do require you to switch constantly. I also find that autobattle sometimes chooses dumb choices, so it's not always great to go with it. Still, it can be pretty frantic and fun. It's probably the best part of the game unless you really love the music or the visuals.

I like 13 and I've always liked it. I don't get the hate.

LR, however, I get that hate hard.

It's not that hard to understand. 2-3 hours of tutorial before you get the ability to switch jobs or get the crystarium. Then you rarely need to switch jobs because most early game enemies don't require it. You also don't get many jobs to choose from at the beginning. Most regular mobs for most areas don't require you to gitgud, just bosses usually. It's a lot of time investment to get to the parts that are fun. It's not surprising people don't like most of the cast either. I hate Hope and Snow. I dislike Fang and Lightning. I feel indifferent towards Vanille. I like Sazh. 4/6 of the cast is kind of butt. That's kind of a lot for this 50 hour JRPG.

The time investment to payoff ratio is skewed in FF13.

Yeah, it's a flawed-ass game, but I wouldn't say it's bad. It functions and has enough going for it to be alright in my book.

But, I've played way more JRPGs than most people, particularly a lot of really terrible ones, so a game working on a basic level is enough to get a pass for me on the JRPG spectrum.

croten

I like the Crystarium or whatever it's called in that it lets me feel like I'm getting a lot of progression or it's just addicting, but also it's very limiting since it's just a straight line to the top. Sometimes you can go on another straight line to get a spell though then back to the regular one.

I also find the story lazier since a lot of the content to understand the story is in the journal thing you get. If you want an easier time understand what everything ending with a 'cie is then you need to read the journal. It's a bit dumb, but I also still kind of liked I think? I might just have a bit of stockholm syndrome for FF13.

It is annoying that you have to play a fucking lot of that game to get the combat really going, but it isn't lacking. Most bosses and regular mobs later on in the game do require you to switch constantly. I also find that autobattle sometimes chooses dumb choices, so it's not always great to go with it. Still, it can be pretty frantic and fun. It's probably the best part of the game unless you really love the music or the visuals.

I don't know, it always felt far more annoying than fun to me.

Love her design and I thought her character was pretty well established and had a good payoff. I never played the sequels so I have no clue what they do to her, but she's one part of the game that I don't get the hate for. I understand she's a pretty obvious Cloud ripoff, but that's not an inherent flaw with her character itself.

Skrams

Love her design and I thought her character was pretty well established and had a good payoff. I never played the sequels so I have no clue what they do to her, but she's one part of the game that I don't get the hate for. I understand she's a pretty obvious Cloud ripoff, but that's not an inherent flaw with her character itself.

It's been 5 years and all I can remember is that she's a dick. I don't even care about the waifu/god shit from the sequels. I just remember that she's constantly hiding emotion, trying to be strong, and being an asshole to her sister/Snow/everyone? I just remember her as a boring stoic character that doesn't want to show her feelings because that's admitting weakness or something. Maybe I should just force myself to replay the game and finally touch the sequels.

However, if you're going from ff12 to ff13 directly, the changes are so off-putting.

Towns, actual equipment, fucking gambits, and the fucking license board. They're drastically different games.

Also, man fuck the stupid weapon upgrade system in FF13. Just cram a bunch of garbage into your weapons until they power up. The worst.

I don't know, it always felt far more annoying than fun to me.

Because if you're going into it expecting depth and grinding and things You're already used to in older FF games, this game is jarring.

If you look at square's previous titles before FF13 like infinite underground or the last remnant, the similarities between both games is there. They were prepping gamers for this for awhile now.

However, if you're going from ff12 to ff13 directly, the changes are so off-putting.

It's been 5 years and all I can remember is that she's a dick. I don't even care about the waifu/god shit from the sequels. I just remember that she's constantly hiding emotion, trying to be strong, and being an asshole to her sister/Snow/everyone? I just remember her as a boring stoic character that doesn't want to show her feelings because that's admitting weakness or something. Maybe I should just force myself to replay the game and finally touch the sequels.

I'm a sucker for hiding your true feelings behind a mask of unfeeling. Personal reasons.

croten

Because if you're going into it expecting depth and grinding and things You're already used to in older FF games, this game is jarring.

If you look at square's previous titles before FF13 like infinite underground or the last remnant, the similarities between both games is there. They were prepping gamers for this for awhile now.

It's not like I was a big fan of the series. I went into it expecting a good game, I didn't get that.

Hold on, let me find my earlier post if I can.

I definitely disagree that she's a nothing character. I don't think she's deep by any means, but her personal story of maturing and hiding her emotions was one I personally connected with and is at the very least acceptable. Lightning isn't a great character and I would be stressed to say she's even a good one, but much like 13 as a whole, she's not actually all that bad on her own.

It's not like I was a big fan of the series. I went into it expecting a good game, I didn't get that.

And most likely square was expecting you or most non-JP consumers to eat it up because the box says "Final Fantasy".

Square making two sequels for this game tells me that it was a huge hit in Japan, or that there were obligations that Square had to fulfill with the producer of the series.

Skrams

Hold on, let me find my earlier post if I can.

Sazh is racist? What? Because the afro? I don't remember him having anything that seemed offending at all.

I'm a sucker for hiding your true feelings behind a mask of unfeeling. Personal reasons.

I get enough of that since I do that everyday. It's fine if you got a thing for that, but for most people it just makes the character boring since they never show emotion or are engaged with anything.

Sazh is racist? What? Because the afro? I don't remember him having anything that seemed offending at all.
I get enough of that since I do that everyday. It's fine if you got a thing for that, but for most people it just makes the character boring since they never show emotion or are engaged with anything.

Sazh is poorly written. He's a recycled Barret, or to be more relevant to the SBF, recycled Daniel.

croten

And most likely square was expecting you or most non-JP consumers to eat it up because the box says "Final Fantasy".

Square making two sequels for this game tells me that it was a huge hit in Japan, or that there were obligations that Square had to fulfill with the producer of the series.

Didn't the best friends say in the podcast that they had created way to many assets for FF13 that they couldn't use them all in one game so because of all the money they had spent developing it they had to make sequels just so they could use all of those assets? Which would explain why they made three games out of it.

Didn't the best friends say in the podcast that they had created way to many assets for FF13 that they couldn't use them all in one game so because of all the money they had spent developing it they had to make sequels just so they could use all of those assets? Which would explain why they made three games out of it.

Doesn't that sound familiar?

Didn't square do that in the 90s with FF7 and the off shoot of games that came along with FF7??

croten

That question was rhetorical.

They're doing, or replicating the same exact strategy they did when they move to the PS1 in the 1990s.

I think it was supposed to be because they didn't know the specs for the PS3 so they just kept making more and more assets.

Skrams

Sazh is poorly written. He's a recycled Barret, or to be more relevant to the SBF, recycled Daniel.

Him being another Barret or Daniel doesn't make him racist. Unless you somehow want to stretch that Square only knows how to make a black character by giving them a child so you like them more. I'd find the thought put into the character slightly racist even though the creators probably don't know any better due to ignorance. I don't think that makes Sazh racist despite him being a trope just because he has a child. I also don't think a recycled trope means poorly written either. He's a likable character even without his kid affecting it.

grimmiq

Maybe I should just force myself to replay the game and finally touch the sequels.

I started doing this but the XIII-2 port is fucking horrendous..Stable framerate in XIII in most areas with slight drops as battles start..but XIII-2 I'm still in the starter village area..standing in a building with 4-5 NPCs, running in circles watching fraps go 60-40-60-45-55-40-60-60-60-32-38-60-40..can't find a way to lock it to 30fps so I don't get constant juddering and screen tearing..tried GeDoSaTo but the game shits itself and refuses to start.

On the plus side I picked up a PS3 today so now have access to all the PS1 games I bought a few months ago on sale..As soon as I'm done with DMC4 (Kinda stalled after I got to the halfway mark..) it'll be time for Legend of Dragoon..Back then I had the choice of going to my 1st music festival or LoD..chose LoD.

Skrams

I started doing this but the XIII-2 port is fucking horrendous..Stable framerate in XIII in most areas with slight drops as battles start..but XIII-2 I'm still in the starter village area..standing in a building with 4-5 NPCs, running in circles watching fraps go 60-40-60-45-55-40-60-60-60-32-38-60-40..can't find a way to lock it to 30fps so I don't get constant juddering and screen tearing..tried GeDoSaTo but the game shits itself and refuses to start.

I thought about getting it on PC to replay it, but I don't know if I want to fumble with it. I have a PS3 and 360 copy of FF13 and a 360 copy of FF13-2. I finished it on PS3 and rebought the other versions later on for some reason that I don't remember. Might as well wait for the eventual Lightning Trilogy Remaster Super Edition on PS4. I'm making myself sad since I could see it being a thing.

Racist might not be the right word, I just found his design and weapon of choice to be somewhat strange considering everything else. I actually like Sazh, since he's just a neutrally poorly written character.

You know, I thought about asking if it was the guns. I feel like that's quite a leap. Also still don't know where the poorly written thing is coming from. Is it just due to him being a trope? He's Barret and then I'm too old for this shit. I guess a likable character could still be considered poorly written, but I still don't feel that way.

Him being another Barret or Daniel doesn't make him racist. Unless you somehow want to stretch that Square only knows how to make a black character by giving them a child so you like them more. I'd find the thought put into the character slightly racist even though the creators probably don't know any better due to ignorance. I don't think that makes Sazh racist despite him being a trope just because he has a child. I also don't think a recycled trope means poorly written either. He's a likable character even without his kid affecting it.

I said that their characters were poorly written tropes, not racist.

These are Japanese ideas of what black people would be like: family men reminiscent of Lethal Weapon's Murtaugh, if anything.

Conflicted men who struggle with being put in danger and trying to raise a family.

Racist might not be the right word, I just found his design, background story and weapon of choice to be a bit odd and tropey. I actually like Sazh, since he's just a neutrally poorly written character. In fact, I like him more than anyone else.

That's because using a gun and having a kid to look after are so FF7, it's not funny. That also doesn't mean he isn't a likable or relatable character. The problem is that Square didn't bother to improve their characterizations past FF7.

You don't get why the bad gameplay, the bad writing and the bland uninteresting waifu bait that is lightning turn people off?

There's nothing bad about the gameplay. You want bad gameplay? Go play that shitty fighter they played for Scrublords last week.

If you play a Final Fantasy game, or really any JRPG and expect an oustandingly deep and sensical story then you clearly don't know what genre you're even playing.

Maybe because when I play games and see a female character, I don't judge them like a piece of meat based upon if they're good waifu material or not.

Sure, you're free to like it, but how many times do people have to explain why they personally hate the game before you do "get it"?

Other people are free to hate it for their own reasons, but as I mentioned above those are the most common complaints I see and the basis for them is ridiculous.

Top Bottom