• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 12: 12 Threads in and It's Still the tutorial

Gamer Y

In Shift City, there are certain creatures and monsters that have problems. That is where Lady Red and Miss Blue come in, stopping crime and protecting the peace of the City...for a price. However, recently jobs have been overworking them. The only natural solution is create a group that handles those kinds of problem...The Downtown Alliance!
Sounds promising, now when you say in the vein of Jojo, how do you mean?

360pages

Sounds promising, now when you say in the vein of Jojo, how do you mean?

People with abilities fighting other people with abilities in strange situations that seem completely random out of place. Tactical and interesting use of abilities to get characters out of situations rather than asspulls. With a unique and interesting cast of characters that all have their unique traits.

But I'm having a bit problem writing past the first chapter, I'll probably think of something.

semisonic

Banned
People with abilities fighting other people with abilities in strange situations that seem completely random out of place. Tactical and interesting use of abilities to get characters out of situations rather than asspulls. With a unique and interesting cast of characters that all have their unique traits.

But I'm having a bit problem writing past the first chapter, I'll probably think of something.

Have you tried a tournament arc yet?

360pages

Have you tried a tournament arc yet?

Ugh, I could take it anywhere, but the entire existence of this story was pretty much me being bored of the down to earth and plain action scenes in my others. They might have been written decently, but they were kind of dull to write.

GGs guys, I... *looks at the 8 pages of posts that went up since we've been playing*... Man, I hope you mentioned me by name if you had a message for me... cause I'm not finding it otherwise.

But I want to say right now, I'm rusty as hell, but you guys are also waaay better than you used to be. You guys officially did got gud.

Well I guess now is as good a time as any, because on May 2nd, if nothing bullshit occurs, Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquaio will have their match that people have been waiting for forever.

Hmm, I think I'll start by finding a copy of that Wilder fight and going from there..

Is this avatar ban worthy?

No, but it's certainly tasteless- I mean team shameless worthy! Lol.

Welcome to BestGAF
Don't forget, you're here forever!
It's probably bannable, given I couldn't immediately tell it wasn't a dick

Maybe. It really depends on the Mod.

It's SFW... She has clothes on and just eating, that's about it. He'll probably be fine if posts outside the thread. i'll mix it up with some non lewd stuff, preferably when i'm not tired.

You don't understand the term SFW.

semisonic

Banned
Ugh, I could take it anywhere, but the entire existence of this story was pretty much me being bored of the down to earth and plain action scenes in my others. They might have been written decently, but they were kind of dull to write.

It was a joke
So how weird are these powers?
Too weird, and they're better for one-off characters
Not weird enough, and you're back in typical shounen shit territory.
I swear to god if I see one more guy with fire power that just uses it to burn people
I'm giving up anime

Gamer Y

And how about the setting, is it kinda fantasy or closer to reality?

semisonic

Banned
GGs guys, I... *looks at the 8 pages of posts that went up since we've been playing*... Man, I hope you mentioned me by name if you had a message for me... cause I'm not finding it otherwise.

But I want to say right now, I'm rusty as hell, but you guys are also waaay better than you used to be. You guys officially did got gud.

Hmm, I think I'll start by finding a copy of that Wilder fight and going from there..

The wilder fight was super disappointing, it mostly played out as it did because what's his face was really out of it. Didn't press his jab at all, failed in cutting him off in the corners, and too timid to throw decent combos.
Even when he cornered him, he didn't really use his superior weight, by 20 fucking pounds, no less, to really get in there. He just kinda stood there and didn't go for the body shots he so desperately needed, especially in the middle rounds.

I'm actually a boxing fan

GGs. Romars, I really wish you would stop switching your character. I don't want to fight your subs, I want to fight your main.

You got to tell me these things! There's a couple auto messages that basically mean this, just shoot me one next time and I'll oblige.

Man funky boy is so gross looking.

Oh man, you watching Redline? So hype.
Between Berserk, Ippo, The Wire and Redline, I can't decide what the coolest piece of media the best friends ever turned me onto was.

360pages

It was a joke
So how weird are these powers?
Too weird, and they're better for one-off characters
Not weird enough, and you're back in typical shounen shit territory.
I swear to god if I see one more guy with fire power that just uses it to burn people
I'm giving up anime

Someone who controls blood is the lead, though they can control all liquids, it's just that the blood bit is their call of fame...and that's it so far. Nothing really past a few concepts and abilities.

I can think of a few, but writing them out is difficult.

MncPsycho

Neo Member
BestGAF, I'm super angry. And i cannot vent to my friends because reasons. What do i do?
Besides get drunk i'm already starting that.

Yeah.. yeah... I have a really loose definition of SFW..

My only worry is that a Mod might just decide that it's too lewd. He most likely won't get banned, but eh. You never know.
You got to tell me these things! There's a couple auto messages that basically mean this, just shoot me one next time and I'll oblige.

I did not know that. I only ever use the quick messages to say "Good Game" and "Bye-bye!" Will use that next time.
BestGAF, I'm super angry. And i cannot vent to my friends because reasons. What do i do?

Punch a pillow. Then watch some Super Best Friends to cheer yourself up.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Watch some wrestling from the attitude era.
5M4Scb.gif

I really do wanna buy a punching bag. that's a good idea. I can't punch anything in my home for fear of breaking things.

for a cheap alternative, stand your mattress against the wall. It should serve as a temporary solution as long as you don't have a super thin bed and/or walls

Gamer Y

Fantasy, really goofy, like vampire and other monsters are just kind of walking around.
I see, so for the blood bender (sorry) I'm guessing is lady red, you have an idea of miss blue's abilities? It might be interesting for it to be the reverse, blue controling blood but people mistake it for lady's cause of the red in both. But I'm just talking out loud.

Zenfalcia

Well.. we can open the giant can of worms called RealGaf... and you can spill the beans here..
So officer just came by. There was in fact a cougar around here. Only loss was the neighbor's goat.

That's.. good? kinda?
My only worry is that a Mod might just decide that it's too lewd. He most likely won't get banned, but eh. You never know.

I dunno. If they gave it a good look, they'll notice it's food... I also remember reading mods talk to each other so they might not just ban a person on their own judgement but rather with a few mods' opinions?

The wilder fight was super disappointing, it mostly played out as it did because what's his face was really out of it. Didn't press his jab at all, failed in cutting him off in the corners, and too timid to throw decent combos.
Even when he cornered him, he didn't really use his superior weight, by 20 fucking pounds, no less, to really get in there. He just kinda stood there and didn't go for the body shots he so desperately needed, especially in the middle rounds.

I'm actually a boxing fan

A read an article on it that said Wilder injured his eye before the fight, maybe that's why? I have to watch it though. I do know it's the only fight Wilder ever won without a knockout though, so I know it's kinda disappointing in that way.

I did not know that. I only ever use the quick messages to say "Good Game" and "Bye-bye!" Will use that next time.

I think one is basically 'use your main guy again, I want revenge or something'
but if you say 'serious duel to the death' or something, I'll catch on too.

360pages

I see, so for the blood bender (sorry) I'm guessing is lady red, you have an idea of miss blue's abilities? It might be interesting for it to be the reverse, blue controling blood but people mistake it for lady's cause of the red in both. But I'm just talking out loud.

That's the problem, I have a lot of concepts for her, but I need it to match her naming convention. I was thinking of blue lights that can causing burns. That can be reflected with things like mirrors and water....actually that isn't too bad.

I mentioed you I said you were nuts

semisonic

Banned
Someone who controls blood is the lead, though they can control all liquids, it's just that the blood bit is their call of fame...and that's it so far. Nothing really past a few concepts and abilities.

I can think of a few, but writing them out is difficult.

Note: This recommendation, for referential purposes, assumes the main character is a man.
Phwooph that sounds OP(as long as they use it like they should. Nothing is worse than super OP powers used lamely due to lack of creativity).
You better get some damn good antagonists, otherwise that could become really standard.
You could from here go the deadman wonderland route, or another one, but just please don't give him an artificial weakness like a time limit super power. There are many other weaknesses out there, or he doesn't have to even have a weakness, just a lack of other strengths; allowing for varied antagonists to be threatening through various situations besides everyone has your superman's kyrptonite. Moreover, you want your thing to be both somewhat unique and lasting, so keep in mind the variety of possibilities offered by each character trait or power you give him
if you're doing this seriously and not just because you're super bored. I honestly won't judge either way, and was only assuming the former case.
All of this was purely my own opinion, and is by no means the only way you can do things.
At the end of the day, it's still your creation. You do what you want.
I don't wanna put anyone out by bitching about bullshit.
Oh I've been waiting for realGAF since I joined, so don't worry about it.

Top Bottom