• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 12: 12 Threads in and It's Still the tutorial

I don't have any nostalgia for it either as I started at the DS version when it released. I also don't remember characters dying then lolnvm being true for the most part. It's been years, but I remember it being harder than FF13 at least. FF13 had a few boss blockers, but most of it was pretty smooth sailing. I'm also not going to do anything to change your opinion. I'll just have to accept that you and croten fall on weird lines. I should be a Joose and play P1 and everything else one of these days.

Also calling 7 a classic then saying it's mediocre. It hurts, but ok.

I meant classic in how important it was for the industry of JRPGs and how much people love it. Its a classic, but

I don't think mediocre is the word to describe 7. Sure, it's been over hyped to hell, and it's not the best final fantasy
that's 6
, but it ain't mediocre. Not by a long shot.

The game didn't do anything for me. The battle system wasn't bare bones thanks to the materia system, but its still simple and slow. Story and characters were just nothing and the great soundtrack isn't really complimented by the lego art. I guess mediocre might be a harsh word? I guess average would be a better way to describe it.

Here's a music question for you guys, and it's related to No More Heroes because I've become addicted to that soundtrack all over again. The individual boss themes are all very memorable, but what do you think is your favorite variation of the regular NMH theme that plays during missions? 'Cause there's a lot.

Personally, it's between Speed with Teeth (Bad Girl) and Dynamite Rider (Dark Star) for me. Both excellent late game tracks.

Those are good picks, and I also like Cashmere Cannonball

PoisedSpottedCanadagoose.gif

You are not ready for this fight you are picking

You're Right

I meant classic in how important it was for the industry of JRPGs and how much people love it. Its a classic, but

The game didn't do anything for me. The battle system wasn't bare bones thanks to the materia system, but its still simple and slow. Story and characters were just nothing and the great soundtrack isn't really complimented by the lego art. I guess mediocre might be a harsh word? I guess average would be a better way to describe it.

Maybe if you turned on ATB to Active, the battles wouldn't feel slow to you.

Plus, there was a lot of set-pieces and moments that made FF7s blah narrative raise up the plot. A couple of twists too.

Crisis Core is my favourite Final Fantasy game, I agree with you
I never really cared for FF games

It's really unfair how much that game crushes what FF7 did in 3 discs.

Rydia, the twins, and I'm probably forgetting more. I think only the old man died.

Did you finish the game? Spoilers:
tons of character death in the run up to the finale.
This is catching point for me, I don't think FF4 is amazing, but the use of character death was kinda what sold me on the game being good. I tried to imagine X with this much death... that would be so good and super depressing

I can agree with that. Though, I am a little more forgiving on the graphics since it is a ps1 game.

Maybe if you turned on ATB to Active, the battles wouldn't feel slow to you.

Plus, there was a lot of set-pieces and moments that made FF7s blah narrative raise up the plot. A couple of twists too.

It's really unfair how much that game crushes what FF7 did in 3 discs.

It was on active. I feel like a lot of JRPG combat is pretty slow because of the emphasis on long animations, but 7 is definitely faster than something like 9 which was just woof. Fast is something like most SMT games or Xenosaga 3.

And still, that plot did nothing for me. There's stuff there with some plot twists, but nothing really interesting than your standard JRPG plot twists.

It was on active. I feel like a lot of JRPG combat is pretty slow because of the emphasis on long animations, but 7 is definitely faster than something like 9 which was just woof. Fast is something like most SMT games or Xenosaga 3.

And still, that plot did nothing for me. There's stuff there with some plot twists, but nothing really interesting than your standard JRPG plot twists.

See, my favorite FF plots are 4, 6,8, and 9.

8 holds a special place in my heart, juggling the child soldier aspect with geopolitics and sorcery and all kinds of really rad ideas. Too bad localization killed a lot of good characterization for squall.

demidar

Was playing some L4D2 with friends, and I completely forgot I modded the game. Was getting charged out of nowhere and hearing KONO DIO DA! JOJOOOOOOOOO!

Skrams

You can always speed the battles up through the options. I don't have any problems with the "lego" art as I played it near release and can easily go back to that mindset I was in at the time. I don't ever really have a problem with games and early 3D graphics since I can put myself in the time period. When Cloud jumps off the train while Bombing Run is playing, I'm not thinking ohgodgross because he's a bad nendoroid. I just accept it for what it was.

Mathaou

legacy of cane
I'm loving OSTGAF. We should do this more often, even if you guys' encyclopedic knowledge of video game OST's is leaving me in the dust.

Xiraiya

8 holds a special place in my heart, juggling the child soldier aspect with geopolitics and sorcery and all kinds of really rad ideas. Too bad localization killed a lot of good characterization for squall.

Having currently going through 8 along with Beloved, translation liberties aside, it's still pretty good, though what I'm finding is Squall starts to seem to outgrow some of the other characters over time.

THAT MAN KNOW!

THAT MAN KNOW!

THAT MAN KNOW!

Having currently going through 8 along with Beloved, translation liberties aside, it's still pretty good, though what I'm finding is he starts to seem to outgrow some of the other characters over time.

Well naturally. Squall was written in depth moreso than any of the other male characters.

He sticks out compared to Zell, Irving, or Seifer.

rickyson1

could someone please explain to me how this lets play channel gets what appears to me tens of thousands of posts/month on here?

no offense intended or anything, i'm just legitimately confused at the sheer volume of posts in the threads

croten

could someone please explain to me how this lets play channel gets what appears to me tens of thousands of posts/month on here?

no offense intended or anything, i'm just legitimately confused at the sheer volume of posts in the threads

I've wondered that as well. We really are the Best of Gafs.

ultimax

NeoGAF can't handle our NeoGIRTH

Check the OP. They're pretty rad.

Zenfalcia

We talk about the SBF a lot... >_>

We are a community built around the Best Friends. We found that most of us share common interests so we hang out here a lot

we talk about nothing and everything, hi

Skrams

They're popular and attract a lot of people. These threads in particular go hilariously off topic as well. Arguing about Final Fantasies or posting random good video game music. It turned from people that just like the Super Best Friends to a semi tight knit community that can talk with each other about a lot varying subjects. It's a pretty alright group of guys and gals.

semisonic

Banned

AdventurousEnormousBlackpanther.gif

Sounds like someone's not ready for the storm that is bestGAF

Top Bottom