• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 12: 12 Threads in and It's Still the tutorial

I do wonder why I enjoy competitive fighting game streams and not "real" sports. I wonder if it's as simple as acknowledging what each player is doing on screen and the mindgames going on, or if the downtime in televised sports are just fucking mindnumbing.

Jman014

I do wonder why I enjoy competitive fighting game streams and not "real" sports. I wonder if it's as simple as acknowledging what each player is doing on screen and the mindgames going on, or if the downtime in televised sports are just fucking mindnumbing.

Don't worry, I can't watch competitive fighting game streams without closing the window after like 3 seconds.

That's it. Literally no other excuse. Its why Baseball is the most boring shit ever. That's basically downtime the sport.

Eh, I like both. I just like the pure emotion in competition.

You can she shit happening all the time as opposed to a ball moving and people doing a thing sometimes

Well, tonight's going to be shit. Apparently, my dad lost a couple hundred bucks betting on the Seahawks. He's already hammered. Son of a bitch.

I don't really like watching streams, but I enjoy seeing the highest of the high level play in something I understand the mechanics of. It's why I don't like watching games I don't know and I don't know sports, so I assume it's the same type of thing.

Not to mention people like rooting for their hometown/state.

You can she shit happening all the time as opposed to a ball moving and people doing a thing sometimes

That's it. Literally no other excuse. Its why Baseball is the most boring shit ever. That's basically downtime the sport.
That makes sense then. I actually don't mind hockey, and seeing a sport live is always wayyyyy fucking better since you're just not wasting time waiting on the broadcast, and you can usually shoot the shit with the people with you.
What's a super bowl? Can I eat it?
Please, do you eat bowls? You put food in your super bowl. Not unless they're made of bread. Stop eating bowls.

Zenfalcia

That makes sense then. I actually don't mind hockey, and seeing a sport live is always wayyyyy fucking better since you're just not wasting time waiting on the broadcast, and you can usually shoot the shit with the people with you.

Please, do you eat bowls? You put food in your super bowl. Not unless they're made of bread. Stop eating bowls.

There's deepfried bowls, those are pretty good.

Its why things like MMA are more enjoyable in real life compared to anything else. Anime does a good job with sports by giving you inner monologues to make the downtime more hype and adds a level of surrealism to make the hype moments just explode.

Nordicus

Speaking of sports, I'm gonna need an Italian person to shit-talk to this Saturday when it's the IBF Super Welterweight Intercontinental Championship match

Well, tonight's going to be shit. Apparently, my dad lost a couple hundred bucks betting on the Seahawks. He's already hammered. Son of a bitch.

Go to your room. Lock the door. I wish you luck.

Basketball is pretty hype.

Yeah it is!
giphy.gif

demidar

For me, it comes down to my knowledge of the thing I'm watching. I generally understand and can follow what goes on in competitive video games. I tuned into a fucking Heartstone stream while waiting for Apex stuff to start. Games are also more flashy, move faster and have super weird arbitrary rules which are fun to see shake out.

I don't have the same kind of understanding for real life sports, and there's a lot of downtime too. I was never introduced to sports while young which is probably why I'm not into them now, can't be bothered learning the ins and outs of sports.

I don't really like watching streams, but I enjoy seeing the highest of the high level play in something I understand the mechanics of. It's why I don't like watching games I don't know and I don't know sports, so I assume it's the same type of thing.

Not to mention people like rooting for their hometown/state.
I like watching fighting games I've never played, but I guess they're all similar enough that I understand the core of what's going on.
Its why things like MMA are more enjoyable in real life compared to anything else. Anime does a good job with sports by giving you inner monologues to make the downtime more hype and adds a level of surrealism to make the hype moments just explode.
Yup, that makes sense. Going and doing it with friends is alright, and I imagine if I did that with something like MMA or Wrestling it'd actually be pretty fun.

Sports anime are pretty much idealized. You empathize with the people involved so you have a stake in each of them, you have the monologues, and the edge that the unreal stuff gives, yeah, it's enough to be a palatable sports experience.
Exactly! Is it made out of bread? Thanks for totally not answering my question, fraud
Oh I'm sorry. Uh, last I checked, it's not made of bread. Maybe talk to your cable provider about getting a Super Bread Bowl.

For me, it comes down to my knowledge of the thing I'm watching. I generally understand and can follow what goes on in competitive video games. I tuned into a fucking Heartstone stream while waiting for Apex stuff to start. Games are also more flashy, move faster and have super weird arbitrary rules which are fun to see shake out.

I don't have the same kind of understanding for real life sports, and there's a lot of downtime too. I was never introduced to sports while young which is probably why I'm not into them now, can't be bothered learning the ins and outs of sports.
Being more easily able to follow it visually probably does help a ton, you're right. I'm kinda unobservant, and I notice watching sports sometimes everything's just fucking tiny and hard to follow.

Basically I have the eyes of an old man.
YO
WHAT
YO
WHAT
THIS IS SOME SORT OF GENERATOR OR SOMETHING BUT THAT'S AWESOME

Top Bottom