• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 12: 12 Threads in and It's Still the tutorial

it all depends on the integrity and how unbiased journalism of a publication. not all industries have heavily influenced journalism. I agree there are things like paid or biased reviews that doesn't just happen in video games.

I dunno, critics are still useful. I don't know it it counts, but I find that i often search up some youtube critics/reviewers, like totalbiscuit, to suppliment any decision about buying a game or not, especially when people i know have never played it. It helps to give a semi-professional opinion on things.
I really think movie reviews are often similarly biased.

Those types of "self-published", so to speak, critics have final say over what they cover and if they take deals or whatever, and generally they seek to either gain an audience as well as inform, so they gain their audience through quality criticism.

Geeze, and people say that moba's have a toxic community.
Minute one of that LoL game, and I got told to go fuck myself. Then I got called a homophobic slur that I don't really want to post.
Moba's am I right? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Unless you have friends to play with it's horrible, and then it's also horrible if your friends also get all pissy if you dont execute everything perfectly.

Zenfalcia

Too bad we didn't make an avatar bet on indigo prophecy remastered/hd collection, since i called it. Now we can see davido cage in glorius HD.

Rizzi

None of my friends play moba's, so I have to solo queue.
I mean, I like LoL and Dota 2. But some of the people that play it, ugh.

People who watch a lot of movies are called Movie Buffs. I don't know if there's a book equivalent. Anyway, while I'm not a fan of the term gamer I don't understand why people get so butthurt about it.
I guess Movie buff is pretty close.

But I think most of the backlash if being associated with people who are very insular, and often the people wearing "gamer" like a badge of pride, are just strange.

Minute one of that LoL game, and I got told to go fuck myself. Then I got called a homophobic slur that I don't really want to post.
Moba's am I right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MMO communities really turned me off to MMOs.

Beside the play to win method, They have some angry toxic vitriol being regurgitated ever so often by the people there who seemingly have all of the coolest shit or the more skill.

I'd be angry to if I had to keep throwing money in to stay competitive, but shit it's really obnoxious to keep listening to it.

I guess Movie buff is pretty close.

But I think most of the backlash if being associated with people who are very insular, and often the people wearing "gamer" like a badge of pride, are just strange.

Music- Audiophiles?
Books- Bookworms?
Movies- film Buff/Movie Buff

But yeah, I don't think I'm hot shit because I bought a 360 or wii U. I just like console gaming and the exclusive games that come along with that.

Jman014

Beside the play to win method, They have some angry toxic vitriol being regurgitated ever so often by the people there who seemingly have all of the coolest shit or the more skill.

I'd be angry to if I had to keep throwing money in to stay competitive, but shit it's really obnoxious to keep listening to it.

WoW is pretty toxic. If you have friends and a guild it's fine but when you do group stuff with strangers it's bad.

MOBAs aren't really MMOs if that's what you think, just to clarify. They're (often free to play) competitive multiplayer RTS.

Xiraiya

Moba's am I right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I played LoL for a few weeks years ago, I don't mind the concept, but I don't really know why it get's so absurdly competitive, Vidula and I would play together on a team, I generally only used Garen, right before I stopped we were winning games with 24-4 and stuff like that against people, so I guess we were doing pretty good, but I just am not a fan of the whole "REBUY EVERYTHING EVERY ROUND!" concept. I enjoyed it a great deal in Counter Strike but that was a fairly different and more enjoyable way of doing it.

But yes, the moba community is mostly trash in my experience.

I played LoL for a few weeks years ago, I don't mind the concept, but I don't really know why it get's so absurdly competitive, Vidula and I would play together on a team, I generally only used Garen, right before I stopped we were winning games with 24-4 and stuff like that against people, so I guess we were doing pretty good, but I just am not a fan of the whole "REBUY EVERYTHING EVERY ROUND!" concept. I enjoyed it a great deal in Counter Strike but that was a fairly different and more enjoyable way of doing it.
But yes, the communities are trash.
I think it only doesn't work because there's very little fluidity, you're likely building yourself the same way every game, instead of reacting to something in the match itself. CS is choosing between a relatively balanced set of weapons.

Zenfalcia

I really think movie reviews are often similarly biased.

Those types of "self-published", so to speak, critics have final say over what they cover and if they take deals or whatever, and generally they seek to either gain an audience as well as inform, so they gain their audience through quality criticism.

I suppose, but it's all about proximity of the industry. The closer they are to that industry the harder it is to stay unbiased or not influenced by personal gains such as improving relationships. The "self-published" have less to gain from trying to gain a company's favour, so it's easier for them to do an critique without trying to gain another company's favour.

How about just Online games in general have really shit communities.

Dark Souls is the biggest example for me.
Anything popular has that problem.
Souls had a pretty great community of people who just really love the games up till a year or two ago. Even still there's places you can go to talk about Souls that are full of sane, nice people. EpicNameBro's community is a great example.

Xiraiya

I think it only doesn't work because there's very little fluidity, you're likely building yourself the same way every game, instead of reacting to something in the match itself. CS is choosing between a relatively balanced set of weapons.

Speaking of, I'm really disappointed in Global Offense, I really liked what I played of it when it initially came out, now it's expanded into this mess of really dumb customizations and nonsense that has lowered the game community down to CoD levels, it's almost unrecognizable.

I really think that series should have stuck with "Less is more".

Zenfalcia

Another aspect is the amount of time committed to those games. Mobas can take anywhere from 20minutes to 60 minutes, which unlike a CS game of about 5-10 minutes.

Tako

I like that Lol doushinji, you know which one.

jockqu.jpg

Anything popular has that problem.
Souls had a pretty great community of people who just really love the games up till a year or two ago. Even still there's places you can go to talk about Souls that are full of sane, nice people. EpicNameBro's community is a great example.

Exactly, it's a lot easier to find a room full of assholes then it is with finding a room full of Legits.

Xiraiya

The Super Best Friends Community is pretty shit tbh.

Yeah it's not great, I really liked that Zaibatsu Tumblr blog for quite awhile until this woman took over, which I wouldn't have thought twice about, but things seemed to get personal on it, it was super disappointing and now I no longer follow it, even though I've still had stuff I made appear there.

I suppose, but it's all about proximity of the industry. The closer they are to that industry the harder it is to stay unbiased or not influenced by personal gains such as improving relationships. The "self-published" have less to gain from trying to gain a company's favour, so it's easier for them to do an critique without trying to gain another company's favour.
Yup. (I'm speaking in generalizations, I know.)
Speaking of, I'm really disappointed in Global Offense, I really liked what I played of it when it initially came out, now it's expanded into this mess of really dumb customizations and nonsense that has lowered the game community down to CoD levels, it's almost unrecognizable.

I really think that series should have stuck with "Less is more".
I agree I preferred it being.. Um... "Pure", but I barely touched the game after that change. I actually don't understand the full extent of what changed. Are certain types of weapons actually only available through drops like in TF2?
Gunplay is awesome though, and it's optimized as fuck. Maxed it out completely.

As a whole or specific parts of it. If you say especially the youtube comments, i whole heartedly agree with you.

YouTube community is shit in general which is probably why the zaibatsu switched to having their own website. Similar to Giant Bomb, a lot of the good fans are exclusively there and it reflects in the comments, while the YouTube people are just awful.

YouTube community is shit in general which is probably why the zaibatsu switched to having their own website. Similar to Giant Bomb, a lot of the good fans are exclusively there and it reflects in the comments, while the YouTube people are just awful.
Yeah, complete anonymity will do that.

Don't read those youtube comments!

I don't know about you, but I only watch TwoBestFriendsPlay on the TwoBestFriendsPlay Official Website for the purest experience possible.

You can go on that site by typing the web address: twobestfriendsplay.com or superbestfriendsplay.com. "It's way more hype than what you have now."

Zenfalcia

Yeah it's not great, I really liked that Zaibatsu Tumblr blog for quite awhile until this woman took over, which I wouldn't have thought twice about, but things seemed to get personal on it, it was super disappointing and now I no longer follow it, even though I've still had stuff I made appear there.

Did you get credit for it, or was it just posted to share with other and gain reposts, favourites, and followers?
Yup. (I'm speaking in generalizations, I know.)

I agree I preferred it being.. Um... "Pure", but I barely touched the game after that change. I actually don't understand the full extent of what changed. Are certain types of weapons actually only available through drops like in TF2?
Gunplay is awesome though, and it's optimized as fuck. Maxed it out completely.

It's fine.

Yes, there are crate drops and most of the customization are just skins that don't make any difference besides look.

10/10
100/100
The Facebook and tumblr communities are alright. Nothing amazing. Reddits a circle jerk, but that's how reddit is set up.

Anung

Un Rama
Shame about that Evil Zone game. Never heard of it before but the graphics and art style are something amazing. Opening anime (boobs lol) intro was killer. Shame the gameplay was so nothing.

Zenfalcia

Yeah.. it's not great. It's not just SBF who have terrible youtube comments, it's other popular channels too.
I don't know about you, but I only watch TwoBestFriendsPlay on the TwoBestFriendsPlay Official Website for the purest experience possible.

You can go on that site by typing the web address: twobestfriendsplay.com or superbestfriendsplay.com. "It's way more hype than what you have now."

If you also like to have the purest experience possible, go to audible.com and type in the code woolie and get a free audio book.

If you have a question you like to send in. Send an email to: superbestfriendcast@gmail.com. once again that is superbestfriendcast@gmail.com.

#ShamelessShilling

Mathaou

legacy of cane
I didn't have any internet for the last 2 hours, so I decided to play some persona 2 is.
Am I suppose to fight those demons? Or ask them for cards? Or ignore them?
I'm also playing that. Every time the game forces you to interact I collect cards, but other than that I always fight. Never run.

Shame about that Evil Zone game. Never heard of it before but the graphics and art style are something amazing. Opening anime (boobs lol) intro was killer. Shame the gameplay was so nothing.

To be fair, I would absolutely not count Evil Zone as a "fighting game." It's a "Anime Battle Simulator"

And even then, it's still not great. I think those Naruto games are way better than that shit.

Yeah, complete anonymity will do that.

And the way YouTube is set up with it loading the top comments first and the top comments being the posts receiving more comments (usually troll/shit posts), makes it even worse.

The Facebook and tumblr communities are alright. Nothing amazing. Reddits a circle jerk, but that's how reddit is set up.

BestGAF is the Best GAF

If it was just a traditional fighting game it actually would have been pretty good.

Anung

Un Rama

I'd say it would be a mix of that and more control over their videos/monetization.

Zenfalcia

Oh no nothing like stealing, they reblogged.

Ah, ok. Sometimez people post stuff without source and it's a little sad when i want to see more of their work and the lack of credit doesn't help.
Most? Some are different weapons?

i thought the weapons are all in game and the only thing you get are just the skins? I admit i haven't played the game so, this is just assumptions and basing it off what i've seen from videos, screenshots, and just random bits of info.

I'd say it would be a mix of that and more control over their videos/monetization.

That's true. The only reason I could see people using YouTube still for GB is because their video player is a beast on computers in comparison to YouTube's player. My old laptop could barely even run that shit on low.

But the premium stuff being website exclusive certainly helps.

Top Bottom