• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 12: 12 Threads in and It's Still the tutorial

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
MebGCcr.gif

Hello beautiful people.

Oberon

Banned
I didn't have any internet for the last 2 hours, so I decided to play some persona 2 is.
Am I suppose to fight those demons? Or ask them for cards? Or ignore them?

Nordicus

Shadow of Chernobyl is amazing. I've only recently bought Call of Pripyat in the hopes that I can get something as good as SoC. I do hear it has a cool new blowout feature.
Blowout was in Clear Sky too but you're better off skipping that (the faction war emphasis was cool though). When blowout starts, all monsters nearby go apeshit from the rumbling and you have like less than a minute to run into shelter and wait through the lethal anomaly. Sometimes your shelter has other enemies occupying it already and that's where things turn interesting

My biggest gripe in Call of Pripyat is that it's mood is more like "US Army rah-rah movie mimicked by Eastern Europeans" later on rather than survival thriller.

I personally like Torchlight 2
Bah, Dawn of War 2 is the best diablo and you know it!

I didn't have any internet for the last 2 hours, so I decided to play some persona 2 is.
Am I suppose to fight those demons? Or ask them for cards? Or ignore them?
Either of the first two. I mostly ignored them in the final dungeon and ended up way under leveled. If your pretty high leveled, just ask them for cards.

If any of youse are ever curious about the dish regarding Gamergate I was linked this article from another thread.

www.gamasutra.com/blogs/TadhgKelly/...e_Of_Gamings_Truthers_And_Their_Gamergate.php

Still an editorial but presumably a look at what goes on behind the scenes with gaming news outlets.

I especially like this quote:

You often seem to carry on with this wacky notion that media journalism is a form of reporting similar to news media, talking about how journalists should behave like hard-hitting Woodwards and Bernsteins, but seriously think. A lot of gaming journalism is essentially a benign form of marketing. Coverage of E3, for example, is just video’d enthusiasm and debate over infomercials. The bulk of articles on sites are positivist coverage of new games, and that’s what you actually want to read. It may sound great in principle to have some uncorrupted soul-searing journos on the beat for the truth, but this is video games. There isn’t much truth to be found.

So if the scene is real but benign, its connections largely a boon rather than a hindrance and the extent, quality and honesty of the media is vastly improved, where does that leave the truthing? Out in the cold.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Well im going back to bed, only reason im awake this early on a saturday is because I needed to get my glasses and get them fitted and my mom is getting her hair done today, which would take all day, so we had to do it early.

Xiraiya

If any of youse are ever curious about the dish regarding Gamergate I was linked this article from another thread.
www.gamasutra.com/blogs/TadhgKelly/...e_Of_Gamings_Truthers_And_Their_Gamergate.php
Still an editorial but presumably a look at what goes on behind the scenes with gaming news outlets.
I especially like this quote:

Jesus fuck, not this garbage again, let's not make this a Tumblr thread.
People are stupid and they probably are always going to be, that's all there is to it.

Jesus fuck, not this garbage again, let's not make this a Tumblr thread.

Just linking information I found pertinent to people who are confused and lost by the whole thing as I am.

You can choose to read or not read. I'm not engaging a debate.

People are stupid and they probably are always going to be, that's all there is to it.

Matter of perspective here. I don't value this non-issue but would like to clarify confusion.

Jman014

Torchlight isn't bad.

I'm trying to remember what move this is, but can't. But it looks nice.

I'd say ranger mode is the perfect difficulty for a first playthrough. Only problem is that during the rare QTE, it doesn't show the prompt for some stupid reason.

I do too as long as I can still see myself on the screen.
I love my cute little adorable furry friend that I give items to and make it go back to town to sell that stuff.
Blowout was in Clear Sky too but you're better off skipping that (the faction war emphasis was cool though). When blowout starts, all monsters nearby go apeshit from the rumbling and you have like less than a minute to run into shelter and wait through the lethal anomaly. Sometimes your shelter has other enemies occupying it already and that's where things turn interesting

My biggest gripe in Call of Pripyat is that it's mood is more like "US Army rah-rah movie mimicked by Eastern Europeans" later on rather than survival thriller.

Bah, Dawn of War 2 is the best diablo and you know it!
Man I LUFF Dawn of War 2!

Xiraiya

Just linking information I found pertinent to people who are confused and lost by the whole thing as I am.
You can choose to read or not read. I'm not engaging a debate.

That's just it, this all started over personal dramatics, now it's this whole big ridiculous thing where most of the people don't even understand what the problem is, which basically just tells you that it's a waste of time to be thinking about, it comes down to people being stupid in some way or another.

You're better off arguing about the different styles of bricks in each Mario game.

croten

That's just it, this all started over personal dramatics, now it's this whole big ridiculous thing where most of the people don't even understand what the problem is, which basically just tells you that it's a waste of time to be thinking about, it comes down to people being stupid in some way or another.

You're better off arguing about the different styles of bricks in each Mario game.

It's about ethics in the games journalism and you know it

Xiraiya

So anime. Making me like pokermans. Now if only Charizard, Blastoise and Venasaur could fuse into like, a cool mecha guy. Now that would make me care.

You know, I was about to post "That sounds stupid in a non cool or interesting way" but stopped myself as I remembered where I am and who I was replying to.

Zenfalcia

I agree. At first, it seemed really petty since it was just a personal matter of cheating. Then it became a bigger problem. Everyone in general being stupid or specific people?

I think it's a little more in depth than that, but i digress. Like you said, it all comes down to people being stupid in some way.

mrmyhthef

On a side note, I finished Shadowrun Dragonfall recently.

Yeah that game was pretty amazing.
Can't believe my brother beat DA:I and thought Dragonfall was boring. Fuck that guy.

Huh. So bourbon is actually a name. Never knew.

I bet your mind was blown when you heard of Jack Daniels :p

Jman014

On a side note, I finished Shadowrun Dragonfall recently.

Yeah that game was pretty amazing.
Can't believe my brother beat DA:I and thought Dragonfall was boring. Fuck that guy.

I bet your mind was blown when you heard of Jack Daniels :p

Dragonfall is hype! Don't forget to check out the Shadowrun Hong Kong kickstarter!

That's how I feel over any controversy within the games industry. Really, anything within the games industry. Unless it's news about a game I want to play I cannot give a shit about what those people do or say.

I should really stop paying such a close attention to video games. They only make me mad at this point

Nintendo Power, the most ethical.

Yea I miss the days when magazines that were clearly paid by the publisher to give every game a 10/10

I should really stop paying such a close attention to video games. They only make me mad at this point

Thats where I was last year. Now imagine you get angry over every piece of bullshit that comes out of the industry, but it's your professional job to follow and report on it as closely as possible for multiple different news sites.

Shit made me hate video games for awhile there.

Zenfalcia

Yea I miss the days when magazines that were clearly paid by the publisher to give every game a 10/10

You love video games tho. Especially dota2

At least those magazines gave you free stuff sometimes.

Nordicus

Yeah, I've almost exclusively heard that Clear Sky is the clear worst of the three, so I just decided to skip it.
Yeah, there are mechanical improvements, but otherwise they largely put all SoC content and assets into a blender, then poured the resulting mix into a game engine and hoped it'd become an engrossing experience. It didn't.

What? Are you serious? That's the reason why SoC was so goddamn cool! No bravado bullshit, just you trying to survive in the nuclear wasteland with your fellow stalkers. I loved the feeling of isolation and danger the game emitted at all times, even if you're surrounded by other stalkers. Your main goal was not to get somewhere or do something, it was to survive in a wilderness filled with monsters and enemies that could kill you just as fast as you could kill them. I even modded it to make the nights more dark, so that I'd actually have to use the flashlight to see or would be forced to find shelter.
The beginning stuff is still mostly cool and there is this weird sense of community and economy too as NPC Stalker groups move around much more actively than in previous games, sometimes resulting in NPC vs NPC firefights because bandits move around too.

But then later because your character's an army officer, the army stuff starts showing in the main quest. You even starts seeing cutscenes that aren't just mysterious visions, but 2 guys verbally measuring who has the bigger Stalker-cock. The dialog is pretty cringe worthy

Zenfalcia

Thats where I was last year. Now imagine you get angry over every piece of bullshit that comes out of the industry, but it's your professional job to follow and report on it as closely as possible for multiple different news sites.

Shit made me hate video games for awhile there.

I forgot you worked for as an article writer for video games. What event/videogame was the most infuriating?

Xiraiya

I agree. At first, it seemed really petty since it was just a personal matter of cheating. Then it became a bigger problem. Everyone in general being stupid or specific people?

I think it's a little more in depth than that, but i digress. Like you said, it all comes down to people being stupid in some way.

I have the hardest time giving one single shit about game journalism and here is why.

I care about video games, from conception to fruition. I like every aspect of their creation and how they work and all the nitty gritty details in between, even the passion and desires of the minds who make them, I always have and most likely always will.

However, I don't care for the game industry, I don't care for most of the marketing nor do I care for the journalism. It is REALLY rare that I feel like any part of these are truly working in the best interest of the games themselves and people who play them.

There have been a lot of really serious problems for a really long time now on pretty much all fronts of the industry, I have thought about it over and over, how it should be, what the problems are and so on, what I would fix. However I often find I can't find the specific words to explain every issue with everything in detail, in a cohesive enough manner that I would be truly satisfied with.

So it comes down to the fact I just don't care for the industry and how it works, the normalities and expectations, none of it.

Top Bottom