• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Best Friends Thread 12: 12 Threads in and It's Still the tutorial

I forgot you worked for as an article writer for video games. What event/videogame was the most infuriating?

Fucking E3, man. You know how you watch the conferences and see the announcements and get excited for all the games you'll get to play? I got to have none of that because it was essentially writing a thousand articles as quickly as possible while keeping up with everything going on, because my editor wanted live updates of the conferences. It ruined the event for me.

Worst game is DmC because of the reasons I gave before, but for those who weren't around then/don't remember, I got a review copy of the game and gave it a low score for most of the same issues every actual fan gives it. But, my editor wanted me to give it a higher score to not lose the relationship, I refused, he rewrote the review with my name still attached after not having played the game himself. I quit that job immediately and all of games journalism a few months after that.

Actual worst game I had to play was Labyrinth Legends on PSN, since the game was not only bad but barely worked.

Fucking E3, man. You know how you watch the conferences and see the announcements and get excited for all the games you'll get to play? I got to have none of that because it was essentially writing a thousand articles as quickly as possible while keeping up with everything going on, because my editor wanted live updates of the conferences. It ruined the event for me.

Worst game is DmC because of the reasons I gave before, but for those who weren't around then/don't remember, I got a review copy of the game and gave it a low score for most of the same issues every actual fan gives it. But, my editor wanted me to give it a higher score to not lose the relationship, I refused, he rewrote the review with my name still attached after not having played the game himself. I quit that job immediately and all of games journalism a few months after that.

Actual worst game I had to play was Labyrinth Legends on PSN, since the game was not only bad but barely worked.

Something like that can tarnish your writing credibility.

Anung

Un Rama
Neogaf or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying about bullshit and Love games.

Seriously once you ignore all that shit it is pretty blissful.

I have the hardest time giving one single shit about game journalism and here is why.

I care about video games, from conception to fruition. I like every aspect of their creation and how they work and all the nitty gritty details in between, even the passion and desires of the minds who make them, I always have and most likely always will.

However, I don't care for the game industry, I don't care for most of the marketing nor do I care for the journalism. It is REALLY rare that I feel like any part of these are truly working in the best interest of the games themselves and people who play them.

There have been a lot of really serious problems for a really long time now on pretty much all fronts of the industry, I have thought about it over and over, how it should be, what the problems are and so on, what I would fix. However I often find I can't find the specific words to explain every issue with everything in detail, in a cohesive enough manner that I would be truly satisfied with.

So it comes down to the fact I just don't care for the industry and how it works, the normalities and expectations, none of it.
I feel like marketing and journalism of any medium isn't great, but especially marketing. That will always be slave to business, and actually, that's what ruins any chance at "professional" journalism.

Luckily, since we live in the time we do, we can get opinions from other people than those immediately around our area, so a "critic" is becoming less and less important, and with how different games can be, and how people have far different values of a game's kinesthetics.

Gaming journalism is just marketing, and I ignore what it says the same way I ignore marketing.

6edfa494e92170e49b161d03798ee44f-free-shrugs.jpg

Neogaf or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying about bullshit and Love games.

Seriously once you ignore all that shit it is pretty blissful.

The thing that should REALLY matter is the end result.

That's what I care about as a consumer.

I like Pat's ideology where rating games based around a price model is apt. I bought Legendary last week for 7 dollars jus on cover art and premise alone and WOOF. I felt ripped off.

I feel like marketing and journalism of any medium isn't great, but especially marketing. That will always be slave to business, and actually, that's what ruins any chance at "professional" journalism.

Luckily, since we live in the time we do, we can get opinions from other people than those immediately around our area, so a "critic" is becoming less and less important, and with how different games can be, and how people have far different values of a game's kinesthetics.

Gaming journalism is just marketing, and I ignore what it says the same way I ignore marketing.

Personality based journalism is the norm nowadays.

Best Friends keep me buying games I'd normally not give a second glance.

The thing that should REALLY matter is the end result.
That's what I care about as a consumer.
I like Pat's ideology where rating games based around a price model is apt. I bought Legendary last week for 7 dollars and WOOF. I felt ripped off.
I don't mind people calling out terrible practices or whatever, I just don't think people should take it personally.

I don't mind people calling out terrible practices or whatever, I just don't think people should take it personally.

Everyone take something personally. Generalization is a human characteristic.

We tend to engage in tribalism and categorize people, places, things, etc.

mrmyhthef

Grey goo looks like a really good RTS game. Even thought it has a fucking awful name.

I was wondering when they would rerelease this game on steam after they took it down a while back.

My brother said it looks like the spiritual successor to Universe at War (anyone remember that game?) but I haven't seen much of it personally. That comparison doesn't do it favours though.

And Fahrenheit was on Steam at one point?

Zenfalcia

I have the hardest time giving one single shit about game journalism and here is why.

I care about video games, from conception to fruition. I like every aspect of their creation and how they work and all the nitty gritty details in between, even the passion and desires of the minds who make them, I always have and most likely always will.

However, I don't care for the game industry, I don't care for most of the marketing nor do I care for the journalism. It is REALLY rare that I feel like any part of these are truly working in the best interest of the games themselves and people who play them.

There have been a lot of really serious problems for a really long time now on pretty much all fronts of the industry, I have thought about it over and over, how it should be, what the problems are and so on, what I would fix. However I often find I can't find the specific words to explain every issue with everything in detail, in a cohesive enough manner that I would be truly satisfied with.

So it comes down to the fact I just don't care for the industry and how it works, the normalities and expectations, none of it.

It's pretty hard to hate on something when you don't care about it. This is all semantics, but isn't game development part of game industry? So, you care for parts of it, being the development, and not the rest of it.

There are many intricate to simple problems that have no easy fix. It'll take years for the game industry to get "fixed" but with how everything the way it is, it'll never happen due to companies being content with the mess that it is now. As long as they make money, they won't care. Sure you'll have the few good companies with good ethics, but they can't do anything.

Ok, i think i understand what view point you're coming from. You're more concerned about the game itself rather than all the crap surrounding it, except the development of a game.

Wouldn't that be more of your editor's fault of making you need to write tons of articles.

For the DmC part, that's pretty scummy. That need to "not lose the relationship" is just terrible. Especially since he tried to play it off as you and also never played the game.

I never heard of that game until now. How unplayable are we talking about here?

Xiraiya

Video Games started with ideas, ideas that developers wanted to turn into games, as opposed to ideas that sell games or can be completed/released quickly.

All of the most beloved games in history were games made out of the desire people had to just make the thing they wanted to make.
Some didn't have great sales numbers, others made huge numbers, but they are still games people go back to again and again with love and enjoy the experience all over again as if it were their first time.
It doesn't matter if it wasn't as known, or if it was broken in some way that would upset you so much in any other case, the game was just that enjoyable, because it was made with passion, it has a feeling about it, a soul of sorts.

People are constantly accusing eachother of Nostalgia goggles, for some people that might be true, but you really can always tell when a game lacks that indescribable something.

It's pretty hard to hate on something when you don't care about it. This is all semantics, but isn't game development part of game industry? So, you care for parts of it, being the development, and not the rest of it.
There are many intricate to simple problems that have no easy fix. It'll take years for the game industry to get "fixed" but with how everything the way it is, it'll never happen due to companies being content with the mess that it is now. As long as they make money, they won't care. Sure you'll have the few good companies with good ethics, but they can't do anything.

Ok, i think i understand what view point you're coming from. You're more concerned about the game itself rather than all the crap surrounding it, except the development of a game.
Jesus, it's really not all that complicated.

Yeah, just the sounds you have to make with your voice to say "gamer" just sounds really shitty.
Lol what

Anyway, the weird thing is just how the term connotates a separate group of people. It's not like people who really like to read call themselves Bookers, or people who like movies are Moviers.

Zenfalcia

it all depends on the integrity and how unbiased journalism of a publication. not all industries have heavily influenced journalism. I agree there are things like paid or biased reviews that doesn't just happen in video games.

I dunno, critics are still useful. I don't know it it counts, but I find that i often search up some youtube critics/reviewers, like totalbiscuit, to suppliment any decision about buying a game or not, especially when people i know have never played it. It helps to give a semi-professional opinion on things.

I keep looking your avatar and I'm imagining Crystal Maiden doing this

Very hype times

You love it.

Rizzi

Geeze, and people say that moba's have a toxic community.
Minute one of that LoL game, and I got told to go fuck myself. Then I got called a homophobic slur that I don't really want to post.
Moba's am I right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Minute one of that LoL game, and I got told to go fuck myself. Then I got called a homophobic slur that I don't really want to post.

Eh, never cared for Mobas, myself.

Tried to get into League through a friend of mine, just didn't really have the time to get super into it.

no, the "mer" part is what bothers me. I don't know, the tones of my voice gets shitty whenever I say it.

Also this might not matter but:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=978677

#NewNewCapcom

Moba's am I right? ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Don't ever play MOBA's.

And if you do, play with friends.

Jman014

it all depends on the integrity and how unbiased journalism of a publication. not all industries have heavily influenced journalism. I agree there are things like paid or biased reviews that doesn't just happen in video games.

I dunno, critics are still useful. I don't know it it counts, but I find that i often search up some youtube critics/reviewers, like totalbiscuit, to suppliment any decision about buying a game or not, especially when people i know have never played it. It helps to give a semi-professional opinion on things.

You love it.
She loves it!

That's solo ques for you

Lol what

Anyway, the weird thing is just how the term connotates a separate group of people. It's not like people who really like to read call themselves Bookers, or people who like movies are Moviers.

People who watch a lot of movies are called Movie Buffs. I don't know if there's a book equivalent. Anyway, while I'm not a fan of the term gamer I don't understand why people get so butthurt about it.

Top Bottom